Welcome to Costco .....

tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Well fuck nuts!  I am bummed...

Costco discontinued carrying ground Buffalo.... that was one of our go to purchases the last year or so.  I will say it again and again, but for some reason the italian meatballs we made out of buffalo were simply the best we ever made.  Hell I thought it was a fluke, and did identical recipies 1 with organic beef, one with organic buffalo, and the results were confirmed.  Not sure why they were better, but they were.

Now I guess I will be heading to sprouts for my fix.  Luckily I have been filling that gap by going to H Mart and buying Poke.  Then my daughter discovered that the prepared foods like poke are half off after 7 (maybe 6 pm). 

But still very bummed by the dropping of the ground buffalo.

Crap when did they discontinue the ground bison, it was there last time I went.  That’s my go to for meat loaf.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The stores are too crowded but with the 2 day free delivery you barely need to go to the store anymore, at least for essentials. I have no idea how they make money free shipping me 100 pounds of bottled water. 

I think the prices online are higher than in store. At least that has been my experience on a few items that we have shipped to us due to hit or miss inventory in store.

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

technically no they're different animals, but "ground buffalo" in the stores here is actually ground bison.  i don't like it, it tastes like 97/3 beef which is too lean for me. i like the 80/20 and would rather eat 70/30 than 90/10. what i've been doing since covid is combining 80/20 with ground turkey at a 1:1 ratio and the texture the turkey adds makes it so velvety. 

I prefer the 30/70 from Food 'n Stuff.

Animated GIF

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

19 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

technically no they're different animals, but "ground buffalo" in the stores here is actually ground bison.  i don't like it, it tastes like 97/3 beef which is too lean for me. i like the 80/20 and would rather eat 70/30 than 90/10. what i've been doing since covid is combining 80/20 with ground turkey at a 1:1 ratio and the texture the turkey adds makes it so velvety. 

Thanks for this suggestion.  I'm going to give this a try.

I was telling my wife that losing the bison, means I will just experiment more with making my own ground meats.  I did it for the first time making some lamb burgers out some leg of lamb.  I understand the issue with very lean meats, but for me the bison just had a different more rustic flavor for my meatballs.  We did a lot of bison burgers, with blue cheese, and Crystal hot sauce, which were delicious.

I was telling the wife last night, who knows what interesting combos we might come up with.  Might even fold in some chorizo into my ground beef as an experiment.

RIP Costco ground Bison....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

I was telling the wife last night, who knows what interesting combos we might come up with.  Might even fold in some chorizo into my ground beef as an experiment.

Recently I saw one of those TV "chefs" add butter to 80/20 beef for burgers.  He claimed it was great, but they always say that.  I haven't tried it.

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Recently I saw one of those TV "chefs" add butter to 80/20 beef for burgers.  He claimed it was great, but they always say that.  I haven't tried it.

thought for sure it was paula deen til you said "he"

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Many years ago, somebody on the old hornfans talked about adding tofu to the super lean ground beef.   It really works well.  Binds it together and adds moisture.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Many years ago, somebody on the old hornfans talked about adding tofu to the super lean ground beef.   It really works well.  Binds it together and adds moisture.

Go Away Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I started playing around with "grinding" my own meat in the food processor.  Started off with a trimmed down leg of lamb, did a couple different grinds, and seasonings to compare as the initial experiment.  The more course grinds were too chewy, and we experimented on those as well.  

The key was cutting up the meat into smaller cubes and par freezing those before tossing into the food processor to grind.  Just like trying to run fat through a sausage grinder, warm fat just clogs the thing near instantly.  I kept the 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 chunks in the freezer and then just covered up the blades by a level of meat (do not over stuff) and it worked beautifully.  Basically any good burger needs some sort of fat component.  That's why blue cheese goes so well with bison, or tzatziki with lamb.  Or adding pork to lean beef.

Anyhow not to hijack the thread.  But we buy the leg of lamb at Costco, and I have been butterflying it down into a thinner brisket look profile and searing on the grill.  We started also using the leftover of that and making Shepard's pie with the leftovers, and that was the bomb.  There's just a lot of meat in a leg of lamb and cooking all one way burns out the wife on it for a while.  But making burgers I just froze a few for later, and we ate the seared lamb portions in a leftover or two.  The lamb burgers were a fun way to use some of the lamb. The lamb was pretty lean as I tossed most of the deckle-like fat, but made a slurry of feta and tzatziki instead of mayo to add that fat.

Highly recommend adding potentialy grinding up some of you oversize meat portions at costco to create your own burgers.  We had a lot of fun with it.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Highly recommend adding potentialy grinding up some of you oversize meat portions at costco to create your own burgers.  We had a lot of fun with it.

yeah they're great for grinding/slicing and deep freezing.  

traditionally ground pork tenderloin is what goes into the meat filling of most asian dumplings.  but one of my relatives showed us how in her family they used ground pork belly.  it made a pleasant difference in the tenderness and looseness of the filling.  so we've been buy pork bellies, grinding that, and freezing them in batches to use for dumpling fillings and also occasionally for whatever we'd use ground pork for.  another thing we do with costco pork belly is slice it down into thin korean bbq style pieces and use that on the tabletop grill.  no need to premarinate, grill it up and dip into sesame oil and salt, place on top of a pile of medium grain rice inside a romaine lettuce leaf and pop it into your mouth. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I started playing around with "grinding" my own meat

50 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Highly recommend adding potentialy grinding up some of you oversize meat

Thanks for the suggestion, but most of us have been doing it since we were like 11.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2024 at 11:52 AM, Hank Scorpio said:

The stores are too crowded but with the 2 day free delivery you barely need to go to the store anymore, at least for essentials. I have no idea how they make money free shipping me 100 pounds of bottled water. 

This. I know this is the Coscto thread, but we only have Sam's near us and we do the free pickup. Why walk among the unwashed if you don't have to? If Sam's doesn't have it in stock, they'll ship it to your house for free. They're usually out of the same few items, which is why every week I receive a rather large box with puff Cheetos in the mail.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is this bacon with Korean spices?

No it's not cured, smoked, or marinated in any way. Not even salt. Just sliced and then onto the tabletop grill. Once it's cooked thru, take it off, dip in sesame oil and salt, then on to a small riceball with a small piece of romaine under it.