ChatGPT AI Tool— We all work for robots now

956 Worldwide

6 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I quote that as someone who uses ChatGPT from time to time.  Mainly to help format code or find an answer that I don't have to read through various Stack Oveflow answers on now.  It also handily comes w/o the derision and arguing that can be present on Stack Overflow.  Doesn't always get things right, but it is usually close.  I also know when I do this I'm helping to train it.  Ah well.

You should use a coding specific tool like GitHub copilot or AWS codewhisperer, those LLMs are fine tuned for code and usually give better results than a generalist foundational model

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 8:58 PM, Captainant said:

You should use a coding specific tool like GitHub copilot or AWS codewhisperer, those LLMs are fine tuned for code and usually give better results than a generalist foundational model

yep.  have copilot at work. i still often find the chatgpt engagement a bit better edit: for random tasks.  for sure copilot when i have code in flight is quite a bit more direct.  however i enjoy sometimes 'engaging' with chatgpt for more of the 'why.'

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

My team at work just got security approval for a new set of in-house built tools that are pretty sweet. If we record a meeting, we can throw the .mp4 at a slack bot and it'll transcribe the call and then author a summary that gives stakeholders in the call, key details, decisions made, and action items for each stakeholder identified.

Saves me a good 15 to 20 minutes of cleaning up my notes from a call, and my customers LOVE it! 

It's not replacing me, but it's making me a hell of a lot more efficient and better documented

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

My team at work just got security approval for a new set of in-house built tools that are pretty sweet. If we record a meeting, we can throw the .mp4 at a slack bot and it'll transcribe the call and then author a summary that gives stakeholders in the call, key details, decisions made, and action items for each stakeholder identified.

Saves me a good 15 to 20 minutes of cleaning up my notes from a call, and my customers LOVE it! 

It's not replacing me, but it's making me a hell of a lot more efficient and better documented

This gives you more time to spend on Surly. 

On 2/21/2024 at 1:27 PM, Goredho said:

https://futurism.com/chatgpt-lost-mind

Uh oh.

As The Independent reports, ChatGPT users have spent the last 24 hours or so flocking to social media to share screenshots and anecdotes of bizarre interactions with the OpenAI chatbot — which, well, appears to be losing its mind.

Screenshots show the AI's responses to seemingly normal queries devolving into total gibberish, or simply generating way too much content. In one case highlighted by the Independent, a Redditor shared that the AI — when asked a question about coding, mind you — provided a garrulous and mostly illogical answer that included the statement: "let's keep the line as if AI in the room."

more in the link

ChatLobo/Cruiser/YGIFS?

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Nope, but that looks pretty similar to Amazon's Q or Azure's AI Language where you can integrate it with your knowledge sources (confluence, sharepoint, ServiceNow, etc) and it can help answer contextual questions - but it's tied into that one system. We've got an in-house built system that started as a tech learning project and grew into an nice little internal tool, but under the covers it's just interfaces and API's so new intents and functionality is coming every month or so as more folks contribute to it

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything stopping people from putting out albums that sound like famous singers/bands?

I mean like if you cranked out an album of cover songs from various famous singers/bands, would you be sued, like the song below.

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2024 at 3:41 PM, thunderlounge said:

Really could be a problem in the wrong hands. And it’s already there. I don’t think the tech itself is the scary part, but if people believe the falsehoods created. 

I think we need to show the people who are gullible to this stuff, this video from 1984 because Stewart and Herb knew what was up on Computer Chronicles.

• Like 2

I think we need to show the people who are gullible to this stuff, this video from 1984 because Stewart and Herb knew what was up on Computer Chronicles.

+1 for that blast from the past.

And +1 for Lady Ada Lovelace, we’ve been at this AI thing a very very long time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/4/2024 at 4:13 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This gives you more time to spend on Surly. 

This and reduces he said she said non-sense or horrible interpretation.

The team and AI agree that the client/contact said X, George. You're the only one who thinks they were talking about shrimp the entire time.

the problem with ai is that it is reductive, because it has to be, but it is beng advertised as "generative"

all it's generating is a response indexed from the internet or a knowledge base.

to the effect that it is creating something "new" it is doing so out of used parts, if you will.

as such, it can not actually be generative or creative in any real sense.

the problem with ai is that it is reductive, because it has to be, but it is beng advertised as "generative"
all it's generating is a response indexed from the internet or a knowledge base.
to the effect that it is creating something "new" it is doing so out of used parts, if you will.
as such, it can not actually be generative or creative in any real sense.

Sounds like something a robot would say
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, General Specific said:

+1 for that blast from the past.

And +1 for Lady Ada Lovelace, we’ve been at this AI thing a very very long time.

There's like around 500 or so episodes up on Youtube - Stewart had kept all of the archives of the original studio reels, so even though they weren't quite 35mm or even 16mm, they still look pretty good for what was basically a weekly PBS show starting in the 80s.  He released them all to the Internet Archive and YouTube.

And the fascinating thing about that show is that the SRI International that the co-host Herb is a part of, as are some of the interviewees,  is Stanford Research Institute, which had an AI lab in 1966.  At the point that show taped, that lab had been humming along for 18 years.

I've been working my way through the shows as they pop up (it's on my bucket list to finish all of them) and AI got a lot of mention in the earlier shows, and then in the later 80s it stopped being talked about, which mirrors the industry as a whole. I haven't watched a lot of 90s episodes, so I don't know if it gets a mention that much (I'm focusing on the Gary Kildall era first).

Edited by atomheartbevo

Posted (edited)

Rich Heimann wrote a really good book called Doing AI.

It's great for the layidiots like me to understand the weird world of AI, both in business and in academics.  

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...