Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I saw the headline on espn about Hurley being offered by the Lakers but figured it was bs. However, it appears to be real and a bunch of players in CN may be about to have a free transfer opportunity.

*CT

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Took a promotion to the NBA and the Pistons, hard to blame him because he came from the NBA last year.

Maybe he’ll be at the UT v Michigan game in September in Ann Arbor. 

image.thumb.png.9dfb83e2246198cd19d25d493500ecf1.png

Top-40 rising senior Sebastian Williams-Adams eyeing three fall official visits
Four-star four-man Sebastian Williams-Adams plans to take official visits to Kansas, Texas, and Texas A&M this fall.
Brandon Jenkins

Spoiler

Top-40 rising senior Sebastian Williams-Adams eyeing three fall official visits
Four-star four-man Sebastian Williams-Adams plans to take official visits to Kansas, Texas, and Texas A&M this fall.
Brandon Jenkins

Top-40 rising senior Sebastian Williams-Adams has been one of the top performers this week at NBPA Top 100 Camp.

A 6-foot-8 physical four-man out of Houston (Texas) St. John's High, Williams-Adams plans to schedule official visits with schools in the fall.

Holding 14 offers, Williams-Adams says Kansas, Texas, and Texas A&M are the programs he is planning to visit.

He discussed his thoughts on each contender with 247Sports:

Kansas: "Bill Self and Jeremy Case popped up at USA. They always make sure that their school is a home for me. Coach Self wants to push me to be the very best. It does not matter if I am a four-star, five-star, or a McDonald's All-American, he just wants to develop talent as much as possible."

Texas: "Rodney Terry makes sure that I know that I am wanted there. He has been to the school and I have been to their campus. It is cool how their guys have a bond. It makes me want to go up there again. They like to run a lot offense through their four men and say they want to keep developing my skillset."

Texas A&M: "I am close with Buzz Williams and Lyle Wolf. They are not just close with me, but with my family. They let me know that I will be loved as if I were their sons. The grittiness of their program is something that I enjoy. I like watching them play. They always are the underdogs and always seem to pull out wins. I do that at my school so I like that mentality."

Williams-Adams says he has not thought on a list cut or a final decision due to his time commitment to the travel basketball season. He added that once he gets down time, he will think about his timeframe for taking a step forward within the recruiting process.

Rated a four-star prospect by 247Sports, Williams-Adams is ranked the No. 32 overall recruit in the national 2025 class.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Of the list I posted a few weeks ago, 7 of the 12 are now off the board.  It sounds like Duncan Powell has heard from Texas, but not sure about any of the others. He would be a good final addition. I still think DJ Burns is also someone we should reach out to.  Hawkins seems like a bad fit for the team's needs and is also likely too expensive.

Power Forwards:

• Coleman Hawkins, Illinois - 6'10, 230 - #24 - 12.7 PTS, 6.7 TRB
  • Trevon Brazile, Arkansas - 6'10, 220 - #41 - 8.6 PTS, 5.9 TRB - Staying at Arkansas
  • DJ Burns, Youngstown St - 6'7, 220 - #154 - 13.1 PTS, 11.0 TRB - 2nd team Horizon, All Defense
  • Matt Bewley, Chicago St - 6'9, 225 - #189 - Signed with Overtime Elite (pro league)
  • Mowot Mag, Rutgers - 6'7, 215 - #207 - 9.1 PTS, 3.8 TRB - Signed with BYU
  • Ryan Bewley, Chicago St - 6'9, 210 - #240 - Signed with Overtime Elite (pro league)

Centers:

• Baba Miller, Florida St - 6'11, 204 - #131 - 7.9 PTS, 4.9 TRB - Signed with BYU
  • Ugonna Onyenso, Kentucku - 7'0, 233 - #180 - 3.6 PTS, 4.8 TRB - Signed with K-State
  • Max Allen, Marist - 6'9, 255 - #338 - 11.4 PTS, 3.8 TRB - 2nd Team MAAC
  • Duncan Powell, Sac St - 6'8, 220 - #411 - 12.1 PTS, 7.0 TRB - Texas visit
  • Emmanuel Okorafor, Louisville - 6'9, 220 - #444 - 2.4 PTS, 2.2 TRB
  • Enoch Boakye, Fresno St - 6'11, 250 - #471 - 7.5 PTS, 7.7 TRB - Signed with Villanova
Edited by HookEm
  • Hook 'Em 8

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

How the hell does K State or any business in Manhattan cover that? Even if they do, how is the juice worth the squeeze?

If that’s the market that’s the market, especially late in cycle after portal is closed. Maybe Texas needs to readjust what juice is worth what squeeze and when to squeeze so we’re not in this late of a cycle situation trying to fill out a roster. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, SuckitKevin said:

How the hell does K State or any business in Manhattan cover that? Even if they do, how is the juice worth the squeeze?

It has been reported that private donors executed the deal, had nothing to do with KSU's NIL fund.

I don’t know man, I’m frustrated too but I think there’s a difference between the market and desperate idiots overpaying. There are real estate listings all the time that are just bait and every once in awhile some moron pays twice what something is worth. I like to think that the University of Texas has smart people in the right places to know the difference. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I had forgotten we whiffed on multiple big men and I don’t wanna get my hopes up. But I’m about 99% sure that RT is fine with the current roster and isn’t stressing on adding another big. 

Well he should be worried. 

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I had forgotten we whiffed on multiple big men and I don’t wanna get my hopes up. But I’m about 99% sure that RT is fine with the current roster and isn’t stressing on adding another big

the big lebowski dude GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

RT is getting fired after this season and he will be sent off with his severance package. None of this makes a difference 

Not sure about that. Unless something implodes in the locker room, this team has a talented core, despite massive depth concerns in the front court. 

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Not sure about that. Unless something implodes in the locker room, this team has a talented core, despite massive depth concerns in the front court. 

This team is deeper in the front court than the team that went to the EE.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, it definitely is if we’re considering playing small much of the time. It’s certainly talented. Just need to stay healthy. That being said, this is a lower ceiling type of team (most likely). However, maybe they’ll surprise. There are a lot of good pieces. Texas will have more scoring options than the past couple of years. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not that I disagree with you, but it would be interesting to see the math on that. 

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Not that I disagree with you, but it would be interesting to see the math on that. 

Ironically, this is the type of switch-man defense roster makeup that Beard looked to construct. Texas will have that option, especially when Pope isn’t on the floor/when they don’t play a team with a legit 7-footer 

16 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Also not playing in the Big 12.  Pretty much could pencil in 7-8 losses to UH, KU, Baylor, Tech, ISU.  And now with Arizona and CU coming in? 

The SEC -  It's good, but it's not Big 12 good.  Def have a bit of an easier conf. schedule.  

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The EE team had Disu (injured for the end of the season), Cunningham, Mitchell, and Bishop that played in the front court on that team. Two taller than 6'7".

This year's team will have Kent, Codie, Shedrick, Onyemi, and Vinson all taller than 6'7". 

I guess you could say Allen also played in the front court, and this team has another 4 guys in that range that could give minutes there.

The EE team was a small lineup, this team is much taller and athletic.

• Hook 'Em 2

I promise nobody cares about your opinion that RT should be fired in the recruiting thread and it doesn't have to be litigated again lmao just because you have nothing else to say about basketball right now doesn't mean you are forced to make a post about it

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, utfan87 said:

RT is getting fired after this season and he will be sent off with his severance package. None of this makes a difference 

Terrible uninformed take.

Last year we finished #25 in KenPom and won a tournament game. That is better than any season Shaka Smart put together and he lasted six years.  And you have to go back to 2011 to find a Rick Barnes season that was better.  That isn't even counting the credit that the administration will give him for righting the ship after the Beard shit show and the ultimate Elite 8 run.

RT would have to have single digit wins to get fired next year, and that isn't happening with this squad playing in the SEC.  If he misses the tourney then his seat will be hot and the bar will be very high for an extension. 

14 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Gerry seems to think his grades are an issue and he is a locker room cancer.

Gerry also concedes that Texas wouldn't bring him for a visit if grades were truly an issue, and the reason for the visit is to see how he gels with the team. Supposedly, Texas lost all interest in Garrison after his visit because the team didn't like him at all.

Gerry is more concerned about how he fits on the court with a team loaded at the wing position. Personally, if you can convince him to play 4/5 in a small ball lineup with Kent and any 3 guards, Texas's version of the death lineup will be really good.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry also concedes that Texas wouldn't bring him for a visit if grades were truly an issue, and the reason for the visit is to see how he gels with the team. Supposedly, Texas lost all interest in Garrison after his visit because the team didn't like him at all.

Gerry is more concerned about how he fits on the court with a team loaded at the wing position. Personally, if you can convince him to play 4/5 in a small ball lineup with Kent and any 3 guards, Texas's version of the death lineup will be really good.

It’s easy to lose interest in a guy getting offered more than double what you think he is worth. But sure, blending in well with the team matters as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1