2023 Thread of Racism in America

Horn Under a Bad Sign

I kind of resent my hometown being on that map, not that it doesn't have a racist past, which I'm sure it did. They say a sundown sign existed before World War II that was taken down when an air force base was opened up for the war (according to oral reports), but there are no public records of it, and I've never heard of it. That's not to say there wasn't, but there's no proof. Moreover, Census data show that the community's Black population grew during the Great Depression while the overall population contracted. I guess if there had been a sign, it was wholly ineffective.

Further, I've always been a bit proud that it was the first school district to desegregate its schools in 1954 after the Texas Supreme Court determined that the state government could not withhold funding if they desegregated. After the decision was rendered, they immediately desegregated. Given that, I'd say the community wasn't nearly as backward and racist as would be assumed by being on that map.

I'm probably being too sensitive about it, but this kind of shit goes viral without people actually exploring the evidence, which is scant in this case. If there were oral reports, publish them. This should especially be the case since it's on a website with a .edu.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Man. Illinois and Indiana lighting it up.  I guess the deep south had " other means".

Interesting that the northeast Indiana, northwest Ohio, southwest Michigan quadrant is a region filled with evangelical colleges. 

Either Jesus just wasn't able to work there, or (more likely) the same culture in that region led to the need for denominational separation and for racial segregation. 

12 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Interesting that the northeast Indiana, northwest Ohio, southwest Michigan quadrant is a region filled with evangelical colleges. 

Either Jesus just wasn't able to work there, or (more likely) the same culture in that region led to the need for denominational separation and for racial segregation. 

A belief in Jesus doesn’t mean that you’re a good person. And it doesn’t mean you’re not. If you’re outspoken about your beliefs, it just indicates what you think about yourself.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/13/2024 at 3:36 PM, mdmost said:

In case anyone would like to hear more about Christian Cooper, he was featured in an episode of Fresh Air on NPR that came out last year.

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2023/06/29/1185048791/fresh-air-for-june-29-2023-birder-christian-cooper

He's about as close to a celebrity as us birders have. Great to see him continuing to make something so incredible out of a horrible incident. 

• Hook 'Em 1