2023 Thread of Racism in America

Horn Under a Bad Sign

I kind of resent my hometown being on that map, not that it doesn't have a racist past, which I'm sure it did. They say a sundown sign existed before World War II that was taken down when an air force base was opened up for the war (according to oral reports), but there are no public records of it, and I've never heard of it. That's not to say there wasn't, but there's no proof. Moreover, Census data show that the community's Black population grew during the Great Depression while the overall population contracted. I guess if there had been a sign, it was wholly ineffective.

Further, I've always been a bit proud that it was the first school district to desegregate its schools in 1954 after the Texas Supreme Court determined that the state government could not withhold funding if they desegregated. After the decision was rendered, they immediately desegregated. Given that, I'd say the community wasn't nearly as backward and racist as would be assumed by being on that map.

I'm probably being too sensitive about it, but this kind of shit goes viral without people actually exploring the evidence, which is scant in this case. If there were oral reports, publish them. This should especially be the case since it's on a website with a .edu.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Man. Illinois and Indiana lighting it up.  I guess the deep south had " other means".

Interesting that the northeast Indiana, northwest Ohio, southwest Michigan quadrant is a region filled with evangelical colleges. 

Either Jesus just wasn't able to work there, or (more likely) the same culture in that region led to the need for denominational separation and for racial segregation. 

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Interesting that the northeast Indiana, northwest Ohio, southwest Michigan quadrant is a region filled with evangelical colleges. 

Either Jesus just wasn't able to work there, or (more likely) the same culture in that region led to the need for denominational separation and for racial segregation. 

A belief in Jesus doesn’t mean that you’re a good person. And it doesn’t mean you’re not. If you’re outspoken about your beliefs, it just indicates what you think about yourself.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you’re outspoken about your beliefs, it just indicates what you think about yourself.

QFT.  Especially as it relates to religion.

The most effective demonstrations of faith are acts of living that faith.  That's the hard part, by the way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 3:36 PM, mdmost said:

In case anyone would like to hear more about Christian Cooper, he was featured in an episode of Fresh Air on NPR that came out last year.

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2023/06/29/1185048791/fresh-air-for-june-29-2023-birder-christian-cooper

He's about as close to a celebrity as us birders have. Great to see him continuing to make something so incredible out of a horrible incident. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Wow, Sorbo's 23&Me competitor startup seems overly offensive.  

"Uh, Mr. Sorbo.  Using the swab DNA test, her dad's half has a trace amount of Taino Indian and British blood, but 49% of it is Jamaican black given the slave trades through there centuries ago.  So genetically, she's half-Black.  And culturally, she was raised partially in her mother's Indian heritage, but for the most part has lived life since her teenage years as a Black Female.  And again, the DNA backs that up.  So what's your new alternative to these types of empirical tests and family history?"

Kevin, "She has to say the N-word on live television!  That beats all 23&Me testing!" 

"But sir, what would that accomplish?  It doesn't negate her background or her blood."

Kevin, "Don't care!  N-Word!  Network TV.  Hard-R at the end!  That's my test!"  

da fuh with this guy? 

I heard an interesting take on "DEI hire" that I hadn't previously heard expressed so I wanted to share.

When someone calls Kamala, a DEI hire, they're calling her the n-word without saying the n-word. "DEI hire" has replaced it as an acceptable word in groups where they would feel rightfully uncomfortable saying the n-word. When you hear someone saying DEI hire, realize what they're really saying. And feel free to educate them on what they're really saying, and ask them to stop it.

Obviously, "DEI hire" can be used for other racist slurs as well.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I heard an interesting take on "DEI hire" that I hadn't previously heard expressed so I wanted to share.

When someone calls Kamala, a DEI hire, they're calling her the n-word without saying the n-word. "DEI hire" has replaced it as an acceptable word in groups where they would feel rightfully uncomfortable saying the n-word. When you hear someone saying DEI hire, realize what they're really saying. And feel free to educate them on what they're really saying, and ask them to stop it.

. . .and it's easier to say and write than "affirmative action"...and is fresher than "woke", which is just sooooooo 2020.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Lulz. Way to crack the code, Sherlock. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Also is they say a black person is “articulate” or “well spoken “ they are usually being racist. 

Trying to add to your indirect racism decoder ring. 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They posted a list of their racial code words on twitter in 2021, but it was deleted quickly:

CRT-Texas-Policy-Foundation-buzzwords.jpg

Anytime you hear these phrases from our Confederate flag waving neighbors, and their fellow-travellers, they're saying the hard-r in their head and to their comrades. Notice that DEI is there in #2 but not yet in the order we know. In 2021 the n-word was still primarily spelled C-R-T. Not on the list is the one CRT had just replaced as the dog whistle du jour, "All Lives Matter."

• Rage+1 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

Friend of a friend got this in her mailbox this afternoon, out in Fairchilds south of Rosenberg (and near Needville, so it fits…)

IMG_2459.jpeg

I'm glad they gave us an X and Y axis measurement. I wouldn't have been able to make sense of it otherwise. 🤣

with affirmative action now gone, I'm genuinely curious what the experience is going to be now for Black kids in the upper echelon colleges. Before, it was broadly just assumed that you were there for that reason alone or close to it... now, I know mentally, there will still be the belief that one doesn't belong, but I wonder what the logical steps for that one will be.

1 hour ago, naija said:

with affirmative action now gone, I'm genuinely curious what the experience is going to be now for Black kids in the upper echelon colleges. Before, it was broadly just assumed that you were there for that reason alone or close to it... now, I know mentally, there will still be the belief that one doesn't belong, but I wonder what the logical steps for that one will be.

I saw that at least for Yale, the amount of AA acceptance stayed the same. Asian acceptances went down which is fairly ironic since I believe the lawsuit that ended things was brought by Asian applicants. I'm sure legacy admissions were unchanged.

33 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I saw that at least for Yale, the amount of AA acceptance stayed the same. Asian acceptances went down which is fairly ironic since I believe the lawsuit that ended things was brought by Asian applicants. I'm sure legacy admissions were unchanged.

yeah, that was Yale. AA enrollment went down elsewhere.

Yale has a higher percent of black students enrolled than any public university in Texas - which is home to the more black people than any other state. Now you understand why DEI is such a threat in Texas. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

Yale has a higher percent of black students enrolled than any public university in Texas - which is home to the more black people than any other state. Now you understand why DEI is such a threat in Texas. 

Isn't Texas Southern public?

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

I’m going assume you mean any public PWI in Texas…