2024 NBA draft thread - who goin steal Bron from Lakers?

closetohumping

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Maybe Lebron thinks he can manipulate some sign and trade to Phoenix? I assume he doesn’t want to (1) play with his son and (2) win enough to opt out of his player option and sign with PHX for the vet minimum (which is the easiest way for him to play with Bronny). Trying to make some stupid super team is pretty on brand for him, and KD. 

Not sure how they fit it under the cap unless they trade Booker, which I've heard can happen.  Maybe Ishbia just wants the three year bump in sales and then dump all the olds in 2027?  I think KD can play well with Lebron but who knows if there's a desire on either end?  They're both old and slow(er).

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure how they fit it under the cap unless they trade Booker, which I've heard can happen.  Maybe Ishbia just wants the three year bump in sales and then dump all the olds in 2027?  I think KD can play well with Lebron but who knows if there's a desire on either end?  They're both old and slow(er).

Shoot the moon, baby. Half of PHX’s first round picks through 2030 belong to Brooklyn, and the other half have pick swap options on them to Brooklyn or Washington. The cupboard would be ultra bare when KD leaves, Lebron retires, and the Bronny experience is long over. 

6 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Shoot the moon, baby. Half of PHX’s first round picks through 2030 belong to Brooklyn, and the other half have pick swap options on them to Brooklyn or Washington. The cupboard would be ultra bare when KD leaves, Lebron retires, and the Bronny experience is long over. 

Beal is untradeable.  Booker should bring in a few firsts and a couple of rotation guys?  There's just no way Phoenix can win it all with Beal/Booker/KD tying up so much money.  They aren't complimentary either.  The more I play this out, the more I think Ishbia ditches Booker, then keeps the olds and junior for 3 years.  IMO, I don't feel like Lebron even wants to win another title.  It won't change his legacy.  Maybe trade KD after LBJ retires.

• 2 weeks later...

Draft is in a week. Nobody really knows what the hell is going on. Below is a consensus draft that I found, and it looks as good as anything else out there.

I saw something recently about the Hawks taking Clingan at 1. That would be a bit surprising and shake some things up, but is certainly not out of the question. I also saw that Atlanta hasn't been able to work out Sarr, which seems odd. The general consensus is that Risacher / Sarr go 1/2 in either order.

I think Detroit is a wildcard at 5. They have new front office leadership and I think everything is on the table for them. Buzelis gets pegged to them a lot. In a group of prospects that all make me skeptical in some form or fashion, he especially sets off my spidey bust sense. 

Washington may be a wildcard, too. They are building from essentially nothing and have a relatively new front office as well. So they are a prime candidate to do some unpredictable or stupid shit also. 

I keep seeing Sheppard to Houston at 3. He makes sense there. I wonder what they do if Risacher or Sarr is available? @Fud what do you think?

I would be good with the Spurs ending up with Castle and Williams. It does fuckall to fix their shooting woes, but I like both prospects and their versatility. If they burn 8 on Salaun, I'm going to break something in my house. I'm all for taking an upside swing, but not on this cat. I will be stunned if he is still in the league for his second contract.

I could see Carter going higher than expected. He's a gamer. Same with Knecht. I could see Holland getting the Cam Whitmore free fall treatment. Somebody with patience will get Topic at a really good value. Probably OKC. Assholes.

As bad as this draft is at the top, there will be some nice players at the back end of the first round. I kinda have my eye on Ware, Kolek, George, Tyler Smith and Carrington in particular.

image.png.354b41837556da7ae5c3e14a19a54b75.png 

The scuttle is that the Atlanta coach likes Clingan. It's known that several teams in the second half of the lotto really want Clingan (including Memphis), so it's possible that this is just Atlanta trying to pump up trade interest in Clingan 

Vecenie is the best evaluator out of the draft guys imo, and "his guy" this year is Devin Carter, followed by Bub Carrington. He hasn't released a final big board, but has said on pods that Carter might be around #8 and Carrington in the top 10. He loves the guards in this class, and is lukewarm on the wings, who all seem to have various flaws 

Listening to Duncan/Leroux and they don't understand why anyone would have Clingan or Risacher over Sarr. They view Sarr as Nic Claxton ish on defense, and some mix of Mobley and Wendell Carter Jr on offense. Not great on anything on either side of the ball, but is also at least good at most everything, and doesn't take anything off the table because he's not a shooter you'll just leave alone, and he's relatively switchable on defense. They do note that he's not a great rebounder though for a center. They view that archetype as valuable in today's NBA

Most seem to think it's Sheppard to Houston if they can't net a large return in a trade. Not sure if they'd take him over Sarr though if Sarr slips. Many think they want a 2025 unprotected from a likely lotto team. 

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

30 for 30 was his brainchild.

I know that was his. Pointless thing to hang your hat on. I still try to understand how a guy that counts a loon like Malcolm Gladwell among his friends has made so much money for doing so little.

40 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I know that was his. Pointless thing to hang your hat on. I still try to understand how a guy that counts a loon like Malcolm Gladwell among his friends has made so much money for doing so little.

Because he gets people like you to constantly click and spread his clickbait.  The Celtics aren't going to hold Bronny 'hostage' lol... 

I haven’t read Bill Simmons since I would say around 2006 or so. Maybe longer than that. A website I subscribe to occasionally has a story about the crazy things he apparently says and does. He seemed so promising 20 years ago and then the Tech Bros got ahold of him and he started to believe his own garbage. Just kinda sad to me to see that. Not in an I care about him way, but just a waste of his life and talent he once had.

I don’t believe those spurs rumors for one hot second. First off they don’t telegraph shit over there. But if they want to move some future seconds to move around then fine. They aren’t giving up 8 to move up a couple of spots in this flat, bad draft. It would be malpractice.

While I like NBA basketball on the court, the front office bullshit is indecipherable. The cap situations are confusing as hell with all the exemptions, max contracts et al. The draft is devalued with pick hoarding or indifference, swaps, movement of picks 5 years from now etc. It’s near impossible for me to get a handle on it all. 

Edited by TonyTexas

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

While I like NBA basketball on the court, the front office bullshit is indecipherable. The cap situations are confusing as hell with all the exemptions, max contracts et al. The draft is devalued with pick hoarding or indifference, swaps etc. It’s near impossible to to get a handle on it. 

ms-ijJnXs.gif.390613da103c5e9fc4ec80e8145d3fde.gif

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

While I like NBA basketball on the court, the front office bullshit is indecipherable. The cap situations are confusing as hell with all the exemptions, max contracts et al. The draft is devalued with pick hoarding or indifference, swaps, movement of picks 5 years from now etc. It’s near impossible for me to get a handle on it all. 

So you’re telling me you’re not up to date with the new CBA and the first and second apron rules? Sheesh. It’s so fucking simple man :)

• closetohumping changed the title to 2024 NBA draft thread - who goin steal Bron from Lakers?