SEC Catch-all Thread

LTtxfan

OUsucks has IMO a tougher road than we do. Provided that we win in Dallas, I still think they’re going to better than the media thinks. They’re going to be a thorn in the SEC year one, just like us.

Hook’em!!!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

OUsucks has IMO a tougher road than we do. Provided that we win in Dallas, I still think they’re going to better than the media thinks. They’re going to be a thorn in the SEC year one, just like us.

Hook’em!!!

Did you see Jackson Arnold play in the bowl game against our current LB coach’s defense? 

He was overrated AF as a recruit and he showed his ass when he finally got to play. Plus if the helmet radio rule changes go through, Venables can’t steal signs.  If anything OU is overrated. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Yes Bill from LT, I was there in person for all of his INTs. Even though I was grinning from the inside, sitting around numerous sooner fans, I did see his upside. He did try to force some throws like Farve use to.

Not saying I’d want him to be our QB1, but I can see that he can do it and outside of our game in Dallas, I hope he tears the SEC up.

Hook’em!!!

7 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Yes Bill from LT, I was there in person for all of his INTs. Even though I was grinning from the inside, sitting around numerous sooner fans, I did see his upside. He did try to force some throws like Farve use to.

Not saying I’d want him to be our QB1, but I can see that he can do it and outside of our game in Dallas, I hope he tears the SEC up.

Hook’em!!!

Politely, could you explain Arnold’s upside? He doesn’t throw or run particularly well, so he’s off to a rough start. 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Did you see Jackson Arnold play in the bowl game against our current LB coach’s defense? 

He was overrated AF as a recruit and he showed his ass when he finally got to play. Plus if the helmet radio rule changes go through, Venables can’t steal signs.  If anything OU is overrated. 

perennially

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The media for the overwhelmingly slotted the SEC schools correctly. Kentucky seems a little low, but hell they’re a basketball school. 

aggy projected to finish 9th has to have them seething. They’re convinced 10 wins are baked in. 

are-you-sure-about-that-the-rock.gif.993d38283e2e904a1067a21f77e98ea1.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bingo

Sark offense without worrying about disguising signs and changing signs and confusing the players on that end going to be lethal. 

The offense is simple but has a million wrinkles and disguises, but the stupid rules having no helmet communication made it tougher im sure to slip the wrinkles in without dumbfuck meat chicken losers stealing the signals. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zeus said:

Have you never seen a roller coaster?

Also kind of funny aggy logo here

IMG_2950.jpeg

The graphic designer didn't spend much time on either aggy or okie.

Ole Miss should've stuck with Colonel Reb /noracist

Colonel Reb - Wikipedia

Edited by DFW Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m totally not saying that I want J Arnold to be great at OUsucks, I’m just saying that as a Freshman in the AlamoBowl, he made some great throws, but also had some “head scratchers” like Farve used to throwing into coverage.

A couple of his INTs were like WTF!

Hook’em!!!

Where have you gone, Case McCoy?  LSU cornerback Javien Toviano turned himself in to authorities and was arrested Sunday after accusations of video voyeurism.  The sophomore defensive back is accused of secretly recording himself and a woman July 5 and July 6 during sexual intercourse without her consent, per to the arrest documents obtained by WAFB.  Oh that bad old LSU vidieaux.  It'll get you every time.

OU fans whining over how their schedule lined up compared to ours is beautiful. I really think we're going to enjoy being in the SEC so much more than they are. We've been through bad seasons so we know what it feels like and it makes season like last year and the hopefulness for this season so much more enjoyable. They don't know what it feels like to be in the position they're in now with so much uncertainty. It's going to be great. 

46 minutes ago, mdmost said:

OU fans whining over how their schedule lined up compared to ours is beautiful. I really think we're going to enjoy being in the SEC so much more than they are. We've been through bad seasons so we know what it feels like and it makes season like last year and the hopefulness for this season so much more enjoyable. They don't know what it feels like to be in the position they're in now with so much uncertainty. It's going to be great. 

Texas has it's own rollercoaster when it comes to OU football, is this what the apex looks like?

First time I heard real UT was 1991 in DC as I stepped into a sports bar a guy walking out said we are the real UT. I was like huh? who? what are you talking about? Then I ignored him and walked into the bar. Now this little fucks love calling us the "University of Mexico at Austin". Blows my mind that a school that has only crossed my mind in the Payton days is so obsessed with this emblem. I expect a 2000's type run before the SEC blatantly started cheating like the aggy's in the late 80's. It will be fun to see these idiots be upset.

image.png.00efe8efe8cfa4d196a549acf4f1a83a.png

Also, someone noted we would discover our place in the SEC. Someone responded:

image.jpeg.a3fa9ca54144ae29cce8e1c3258d9163.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Texas fans scratching their heads over that Vandy record much like UNC does for their record vs Texas in basketball. 

At least for us, their most recent victory was in 1928 or so.

UNC basketball, on the other hand-- there's some fairly recent trauma mixed in there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

At least for us, their most recent victory was in 1928 or so.

UNC basketball, on the other hand-- there's some fairly recent trauma mixed in there.

https://www.winsipedia.com/games/texas/vs/vanderbilt

Damn, you are spot on with 1928.

Anyone know why of the 12 times Texas and Vanderbilt have faced each other, 7 of the games were in Dallas?  Vanderbilt has only been to Austin 1 time for a football game.  I know things were a lot different 100 years ago but that just seems odd to me.

Clark Lea said he watched this game "nine or 10 times" in rebuilding Vanderbilt staff, roster

Vanderbilt's head coach was so impressed with New Mexico State's 31-10 defeat of Auburn, he hired the head coach, OC and QB who made it happen.

ZACH BARNETT         JUL 22, 2024

Last season, New Mexico State accomplished something in its only try that Vanderbilt failed to do in eight attempts: they won an SEC game. The Aggies traveled from Las Cruces, N.M. -- which, in the SEC's world, might as well be the surface of the moon -- and didn't just defeat Auburn, they hammered them. New Mexico State's beat the Tigers by 21 points; Vanderbilt hasn't done the same in five full seasons.

The following week, Vanderbilt head coach Clark Lea estimated he watched the game "nine or 10 times." 

Lea initially thought his dissection of the game would be the launch point for an offseason visit to Las Cruces. Two weeks prior, the same Auburn team had beaten Vanderbilt 31-15 in Nashville, so Lea wanted to get to the very bottom of every single detail of how a program with a tenth of the resources of even the SEC's least-resourced program performed 36 points better against a common opponent. 

"When I say start to finish, the inner cut where you go from play one to the final play and watch every phase and every snap," Lea said.

But then it evolved into something more. Vandy's season ended Nov. 25, and by Nov. 29 Lea announced both coordinators would not return. Lea immediately named himself his own defensive coordinator, and didn't have to think hard about to identify his top offensive coordinator candidate. 

The Auburn tape showed Lea an offense that was "creative in design but not gimmicky." New Mexico State finished 2023 ranked 15th nationally in rushing and 12th in yards per play and, crucially, the Aggies' output traveled from Conference USA to the Auburn tape Lea knew so well.

The Aggies rushed the ball 37 times for 213 yards, a 5.8 average that was a-yard-and-a-half per carry beyond Auburn's season average of 4.35 allowed per pop. "The improvement made by his unit in two years at New Mexico State stood out to me and demonstrates the type of developmental success needed at Vanderbilt," Lea said.

But that was just step one.

Losing Beck destabilized New Mexico State's staff, something Lea capitalized on. The Vanderbilt coach leveraged his hiring of Jerry Kill's offensive coordinator to convince Kill to come along to Nashville. 

"When I interviewed Tim Beck I knew there was a chance Coach Kill was going to retire from being a head coach," Lea said. "Like any good recruiter I wanted to position myself to sell Nashville. And it just so happens he's got a granddaughter that lives nearby, which is a great 'in.'"

With 173 wins spread across Saginaw Valley State, Emporia State, Southern Illinois, Northern Illinois, Minnesota and New Mexico State (plus two more as an interim at TCU), Kill is the patron saint of head coaches at hard-to-win places. 

"I come at him with the approach of, like, 'I need you to come help. I need to lean on your experience.' To have someone with that level of success and experience, it builds confidence in all of us," Lea said. "I feel privileged to have him as a part of our staff. He makes me better, and he makes us better."

Kill stepped down at New Mexico State on Dec. 23 and, with his head coach and offensive coordinator now departing, Aggies quarterback Diego Pavia entered the transfer portal on Christmas Eve. As it just so happened, Pavia was exactly what Vanderbilt needed at the most important position on the field. 

An Albuquerque native, Pavia started his career in 2020 at the New Mexico Military Institute , where he emerged as the starting quarterback over the course of a covid-influenced freshman season. A year later, Pavia led NMMI to a JuCo national championship. Transferring to NMSU, he won the starting job over the course of the 2022 season. In 2023, he was a few yards shy of a 3,000/1,000 season en route to becoming the Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year. 

So, Pavia is one of the most accomplished players in college football, but he's best known for urinating on the midfield logo at New Mexico's practice facility as NMSU prepped for the 2022 Quick Lane Bowl. 😋

Safe to say, both sides of Pavia's personality showed on the Auburn film. Pavia hit 19-of-28 passes for 201 yards and three touchdowns in the win, but it was a violent tackle that Lea remembered eight months later. 

"I saw a quarterback that was a maniac and suplexed a linebacker on the sideline early on in the game, and one of his only mistakes where you threw an interception," Lea said. "It was impressive."

Vanderbilt announced Kill's hiring on Jan. 17, the same day Pavia committed to Vandy. Lea's annexation of New Mexico State's football program -- the most valuable parts of it, at least -- was complete. 

Now, the trio of Kill, Beck and Pavia will attempt to duplicate at Vanderbilt what Lea watched them accomplish at New Mexico State. And watched again, again, again and again. 

Fyi... The Tim Beck that Vanderbilt is hiring is a different coach than the Coastal Carolina head coach of the same name, who was a former assistant at Nebraska, Ohio State, Texas and N.C. State.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39129166/vanderbilt-hire-new-mexico-state-oc-tim-beck-sources-say

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Underdog said:

Texas fans scratching their heads over that Vandy record much like UNC does for their record vs Texas in basketball. 

There is nothing to scratch our heads about. Back in the 1920s they were much better than us. Before the 1930s football in Texas was subpar and the evidence for that is clear whenever you see Texas schools playing the big midwest and east coast powers back in that era.

Which is why A&M's fake national titles from that era are such jokes. They would have lost 50-0 if they had played a real team.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/19/2024 at 3:22 PM, DFW Horn said:

IMO, aggy is too high

Aggy plays AT Florida, at Sakerlina and AT the home of bizarro last play snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, Auburn.  If they get behind at any of those, the screeching from the home wackos starving for wins will be 747 takeoff loud.  The false start flags will fall like rain 🎗️🎗️🎗️🎗️🎗️= Aggy loses in humiliating fashion.

3 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Aggy plays AT Florida, at Sakerlina and AT the home of bizarro last play snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, Auburn.  If they get behind at any of those, the screeching from the home wackos starving for wins will be 747 takeoff loud.  The false start flags will fall like rain 🎗️🎗️🎗️🎗️🎗️= Aggy loses in humiliating fashion.

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

Sakerlina? I don't get it

Mark Stoops: "I don't know how long I take take dealing with what I've dealt with."

Stoops notes he feels panic and frustration while he has "100 free agents every six months"

DOUG SAMUELS             JUL 25, 2024

Mark Stoops is veteran head coach among SEC coaches by a large margin, starting his tenure with the Wildcats back in 2013.

Despite doing an admirable job rebuilding the program to respectability, winning ten games twice, and leading UK to eight straight bowl games, Stoops recently made it clear during a one-on-one interview with On3 that the recent landscape of college football with NIL and the transfer portal is weighing heavy on the 57-year old.

“I have 100 free agents every six months,” the veteran head coach shared with On3.

“You don’t think there’s pressure of raising money to keep them and to pay them what they deserve and to help them? And I’ve done this for two, three years completely alone."

"I get no help. None.”

image.png.c390fe63e56276a11e17ea39110985be.png

While many will say it's tough to have sympathy when you look at how coaches are being compensated, recruiting used to be restricted to just high school kids, but now head coaches and their staffs must target kids at the high school and in the portal, they also have to constantly recruit their own rosters.

“I feel very isolated, very alone. I’ll be honest, I don’t know how long I can take dealing with what I’ve dealt with. Myself, personally, I can only do so much. I’ve never felt this kind of stress and pressure.”

Just over the past week, major college programs have made significant moves in the general manager and personnel spaces.

Wisconsin promoted their 24-year old player personnel director Max Stienecker to their GM role, while Texas Tech and their GM James Blanchard recently reportedly agreed to a new deal that will make him one of college football's top paid front office figures.

Stoops goes on to mention frustration and panic among the emotions he feels while he's not able to run the program the way he wants to. The Wildcats were able to add former offensive coordinator Eddie Gran to the staff as a special assistant to Stoops, and he mentions he wouldn't be able to operate at all without his help.

“I can’t coach the way I want to coach because all I do is raise money or try to raise money."

“You go through all the frustration, and even panic. How do I raise the money? I feel very isolated on how to do it. But if I don’t raise it, it doesn’t get done.”

Some programs have other places that have people raise the money to operate, and while Kentucky football has its own collective (The 15 Club), Stoops says he still plays more of an active role than most. 

If Stoops is going to find a renewed energy as he continues into year twelve and beyond with the program, finding a way to structure his support staff more like an NFL front office like so many programs are doing and getting the support of his administration to do so seems like it's going to be critical.

• Haha 1