SEC Catch-all Thread

LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Those assholes gonna try to claim Nobis, Earl, Ricky, and Vince too?

Give them time.They will.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_Football_Legends

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

How so? Scottie played for Texas as a Big 12 member.

Just claiming people from teams who leave you seems weird.

Both just feel odd.

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

This is going to take some getting used to.

I don't see how I am ever going to get used to seeing this kind of thing. It would also be weird if the Big 12 did it. Kind of a No Man's Land thing, but Texas should just be able to do it on their own and everyone just shut the fuck up. But, that can't happen with the biggest loudmouth conference in the history of conferences. It's going to just keep being weird, and batshit crazy if Texas keeps winning in many things.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't see how I am ever going to get used to seeing this kind of thing. It would also be weird if the Big 12 did it. Kind of a No Man's Land thing, but Texas should just be able to do it on their own and everyone just shut the fuck up. But, that can't happen with the biggest loudmouth conference in the history of conferences. It's going to just keep being weird, and batshit crazy if Texas keeps winning in many things.

Yeah, it would be like the ACC claiming all the Stanford swimmers which I'd imagine they've done by now. I don't mind it happening later with athletes in the SEC era but it just feels really odd and reaching for glory that's not yours and especially something that didn't even happen in your timeline. 

21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, it would be like the ACC claiming all the Stanford swimmers which I'd imagine they've done by now.

Like I said before, not only were they doing it. But they were doing it prior to Stanford joining the league 8/1.

• Haha 4

At least they didn’t claim Steve McMichael’s HOF induction…please tell me they didn’t claim Steve McMichael’s HOF induction…

Kentucky football placed on two years probation

The program will also vacate records, as NCAA found Level-II violations for players being paid for work they did not do.

DOUG SAMUELS       AUG 2, 2024

Today, the NCAA announced penalties for violations impermissible benefits that took place at Kentucky.

The violations, which involved both the football and swimming programs, included 11 football players who ultimately received payment for work that they did not perform.

The NCAA found that the players were paid between spring of 2021 and March of 2022, marking a standard Level-II violation.

Kentucky has agreed to vacated records of the game where the ineligible players played in, as well as two years probation along with an undisclosed fine.

The NCAA enforcement staff and school agreed that no staff member in athletics knew, or reasonably should have known, about the payment for work not done.

Therefore, the violations for the football program did not extend to a failure to monitor violation for Mark Stoops and his program.

Stoops and the Wildcats opened their fall camp on Wednesday, as we are officially 29 days until their season opener August 31 against Southern Miss.

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

something's amiss with our friends.....

back in january: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2024/01/19/texas-am-over-279-million-athletics-revenue-2023/72287203007/

they claimed $279m in athletics department revenue in the above article

so aggy 2023 revenue in all other sports was $191m ??

?

They’re probably claiming the Jimbo fallout money, buying out him and his staff, buying out Elko from Duke, as revenue from boosters but they can’t actually park that overtly in football. They have an “other” bucket for dark money spend that they never explain that is always substantially larger than any other program’s “other” bucket when it comes to AD revenue claims. Go look at the actual statements and it’s always sitting there in plain sight. 

49 minutes ago, locodos said:

you're doing it wrong...  fuck everyone in the SEC except [your team here] and Vandy 

Honestly, fuck Vanderbilt too. We saw plenty of their kind of grift in past conferences. Here’s hoping that Texas wins 6 straight against those coattailing scalawags and then they’re booted to the curb 12-14 years from now when the SEC and Big 10 reach their final phase of leveling up a new tier of CFB. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Naw man. They've still got the Whistler.

1. We're talking football
  2. Don't be an asshole... leave the nerds alone , they're not hurting anybody
  3. It's lo key hilarious when they beat someone #no2022
Edited by locodos

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Jay Cutler is still alive. 

I was so pissed, but on the overhand you could just see the talent it was horrifically splendid.

also probably not for long....  He's in the "supplements" business now

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSukgspFi1E66Vam8pcTlp

Edited by locodos

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They’re probably claiming the Jimbo fallout money, buying out him and his staff, buying out Elko from Duke, as revenue from boosters but they can’t actually park that overtly in football. They have an “other” bucket for dark money spend that they never explain that is always substantially larger than any other program’s “other” bucket when it comes to AD revenue claims. Go look at the actual statements and it’s always sitting there in plain sight. 

Do other public schools have disproportionate "other (dark)" buckets?

The Lege is worthless but one would think UTIMCO would want a look-in on the ledger entries for that.

4 hours ago, markstanco said:

Just heard on the radio earlier that Vegas has the sec getting 4.5 teams in the playoffs and no juice either way.

For you betting folks, shouldn’t you hammer the under?

I think most people agree/concede that the SEC is virtually guaranteed 4 spots and the Big Ten 3, plus the 3 auto bids for the Big12/ACC/G5 and you’re at 10 with 2 spots left for:

Notre Dame
#2 Big 12 team
#2 ACC team
#4 Big Ten team
#5 SEC team

I have a hard time seeing a committee made out of people geographically dispersed across the county giving the SEC a 5th spot when they already have a third of the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

Vanderbilt News

Jafar Williams, who has multiple stops in the Big Ten, has reportedly landed on an SEC staff

DOUG SAMUELS         1 HOUR AGO

Clark Lea has added some veteran experience to his staff at Vanderbilt.  247 shares that former Virginia Tech and Maryland assistant Jafar Williams has joined the Commodores staff.

At Temple, where he most recently worked after joining the staff in February 2022, Williams held the role of pass game coordinator in addition to coaching the receivers. Williams and the Owls parted ways back in January after two seasons.

The move also reunites Williams with Jerry Kill, who was an off season addition to the staff at Vanderbilt and has been influential in a number of off season changes with the 'Dores. Jafar and Kill previously worked together at both Rutgers and Virginia Tech. Before returning to the head coaching ranks the past few seasons at New Mexico State, Kill worked as a special assistant to the head coach at Virginia Tech and he spent one season as the offensive coordinator for Chris Ash in Piscataway before stepping away.

In addition to his time with working with the Hokies receivers and the Terps running backs, Williams has also logged time in Big Ten country at Purdue as well.

He spent a handful of seasons working with the Boilermakers running backs after developing explosive running backs like Dri Archer and Traylon Durham at Kent State.

A former standout receiver at Maryland, Williams was a quality control graduate assistant at Northwestern early in his coaching journey and went on to start his on-field career with receivers at Howard (FCS) and Illinois State (FCS).

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Vanderbilt News

Jafar Williams, who has multiple stops in the Big Ten, has reportedly landed on an SEC staff

DOUG SAMUELS         1 HOUR AGO

Clark Lea has added some veteran experience to his staff at Vanderbilt.  247 shares that former Virginia Tech and Maryland assistant Jafar Williams has joined the Commodores staff.

At Temple, where he most recently worked after joining the staff in February 2022, Williams held the role of pass game coordinator in addition to coaching the receivers. Williams and the Owls parted ways back in January after two seasons.

The move also reunites Williams with Jerry Kill, who was an off season addition to the staff at Vanderbilt and has been influential in a number of off season changes with the 'Dores. Jafar and Kill previously worked together at both Rutgers and Virginia Tech. Before returning to the head coaching ranks the past few seasons at New Mexico State, Kill worked as a special assistant to the head coach at Virginia Tech and he spent one season as the offensive coordinator for Chris Ash in Piscataway before stepping away.

In addition to his time with working with the Hokies receivers and the Terps running backs, Williams has also logged time in Big Ten country at Purdue as well.

He spent a handful of seasons working with the Boilermakers running backs after developing explosive running backs like Dri Archer and Traylon Durham at Kent State.

A former standout receiver at Maryland, Williams was a quality control graduate assistant at Northwestern early in his coaching journey and went on to start his on-field career with receivers at Howard (FCS) and Illinois State (FCS).

Hey, Clark. If he offers to lead you to a cave of wonders, don't do it!

20 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Have Finebaum on in the background today while working, this crap is really tough to listen to..  The inbred shoutouts are pretty funny though, “let’s go to Jeb from Mississippi, yea man id like to shout out to bruddar it his birfday an he loves your show”.  Drunk Alabama fans yelling at him, Dwayne from Louisiana saying Paul and other callers are smoking crack..   

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I've read up and thought about many teams heading into this season. Not South Carolina. I heard this dude would be the starter months ago and coupled that with Beamer being the head coach, who I think is a buffoon, and have just been assuming that they're staring down the barrel of 3-9. 

On 8/6/2024 at 11:08 AM, closetojumping said:

Honestly, fuck Vanderbilt too. We saw plenty of their kind of grift in past conferences. Here’s hoping that Texas wins 6 straight against those coattailing scalawags and then they’re booted to the curb 12-14 years from now when the SEC and Big 10 reach their final phase of leveling up a new tier of CFB. 

My brother went to Nashville for a game said it was the worst group of fans he saw in his time at Ole Miss outside of Baylor in the Sugar Bowl.

Bunch of unfriendly (although good looking at least) Long Island and Connecticutians who showed up, took a couple social media pics and left. And Vandy wasn't bad that year, they even won the game!

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

My brother went to Nashville for a game said it was the worst group of fans he saw in his time at Ole Miss outside of Baylor in the Sugar Bowl.

Bunch of unfriendly (although good looking at least) Long Island and Connecticutians who showed up, took a couple social media pics and left. And Vandy wasn't bad that year, they even won the game!

My older brother considered going there for med school. He liked the campus and all, and this is decades ago, but he didn't care for the people during the process. 

I'm a Vandy grad from the Dallas area, got a graduate degree from Texas. Some of the Vandy fandom is shitty, just like some of the student body, but there are plenty of good, dedicated fans. Even more so when considering the general nature of the product. 

As weird as it sounds, but I would love to see USCe to actually be competitive. I always liked their uniforms and they've put out some really good players. If they're ever going to take that next step, this is it. They have to. They have all of the support, fanbase, but they need a serious coach who wants to win. Beamer is an idiot. 

14 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I know that back in the day there was a pretty healthy pipeline of Dallas-area kids, particularly from the Park Cities, to Vanderbilt.  Is that still a thing?

Vandy students used to have (going off memory from an article a couple of years ago) on a per student basis the highest avg family income of any university.