SEC Catch-all Thread

LTtxfan

9 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

That was a disappointing effort.

You’re a tough crowd of one. I look forward to his stuff each week. I thought it was good.

17 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Jesus. Friends of mine who have gotten to look behind the curtain of Georgia over the years say that there is a foul odor starting to reek from the inside there. These are people that like the staff (not Bobo) and have sung their praises over time. They know their shit.  

My theory is that once NIL and the portal started leveling the playing field, Georgia broke away from established criteria when evaluating the upper tier of recruits and started taking character problems. They’ve taken guys over the last 3+ years that others, who also had the pick of the litter, punted on. Other folks don’t fully agree or disagree and say that that position is somewhat self-serving. So be it. Fun to believe though. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I absolutely love his stuff. Just saying it was not his best effort. I thought SEC Shorts was much better this week.

Thought the ending was strong with “Iowa Hawkeyes vs the Forward Pass”. Pretty good. 

• Haha 1

"It will f***ing happen": Behind the scenes of Vanderbilt's iconic upset of No. 1 Alabama

Vanderbilt's behind-the-scenes video showed how early, often and forcefully Clark Lea told his team they were going to defeat the No. 1-ranked Crimson Tide before it happened.

Zach Barnett        Oct 10, 2024

What strikes you about hearing Clark Lea telling Vanderbilt they were going to beat Alabama is how many times it must have happened, both in his own locker room and across the country, a similar proclamation has been made that went unfulfilled. With exceptions here and there, every team goes into each game believing that, with the right breaks, they can win each game. What's the point, otherwise? 

But, man, Vanderbilt was convinced they were going to beat Alabama on Saturday. 

Never mind that Vandy hadn't beaten Bama in four full decades. Never mind that Vanderbilt was 1-13 against ranked teams under Clark Lea. Never mind that Vandy was 0-for-60 against AP Top 5 teams. 

Lea told his team on four different occasions that Vanderbilt 40, Alabama 35 was coming, captured in this excellent nine-and-a-half minute behind the scenes look at the Commodores' instantly-iconic victory. The video says far more than my words describing it ever could, but I was struck by how often and forcefully Lea proclaimed a victory that only he and his charges saw coming. 

Monday, Sept. 30: "It's not gonna be big things Saturday, it's gonna be small things. Small things will deliver us the celebration in the locker room on Saturday, and it will f***ing happen. It's gonna happen." 

Saturday, early: "There is no one in this room, not a single person, that doesn't know that our breakthrough is coming... It will happen. It might as well happen today... That's f***ing Alabama's problem today. It's not one of us, it's all of us. 

Saturday, pregame: "You've earned the right to go play. You've earned the right to go win. Now we've got to make it happen. 

Saturday, halftime: "You're ready to close this game out. There's nothing extra here. It doesn't take anything extra. The game is yours, guys. You f***ing set it up, on a tee. Now go take it. You take it. You take it by being focused, being detailed, communicating, playing our game. Stop by stop, possession by possession. The challenge is this: in the present, every moment... You're f***ing ready, let's go get it."

And then, after the game: "This is not the end. Honestly, it's the beginning of a breakthrough."

After all his players had heard all week, who among them didn't totally believe?

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41742064/ole-miss-plans-address-suspicions-faking-injuries-games

They’re not going to stop until there’s some real consequence for doing this. Probably the only reason LSU beat us a few years ago. It’s bush league bullshit.

There's another reason:

image.png.e8d2b43379cdb229042e6e14abd20714.png

• Rage+1 5

2 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41742064/ole-miss-plans-address-suspicions-faking-injuries-games

They’re not going to stop until there’s some real consequence for doing this. Probably the only reason LSU beat us a few years ago. It’s bush league bullshit.

We need a rule that says any player who requires a stoppage of play can't return to the field until a change of possession. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

We need a rule that says any player who requires a stoppage of play can't return to the field until a change of possession. 

Or give each team 3 injury times-out. One is expended for each injury stoppage. After that, conventional TOs are automatically expended. When those are exhausted, players who cause a stoppage are out for X minutes of game clock.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I think this plus discretionary large fines for the coaches will end it pretty fucking quickly. We’ll see how fucking smart and cute Lane Kiffin is after getting a $250k fine dropped on his ass. 

It’s flat out cheating and it takes away from the fun of watching the game. I’m guessing the media rights entities are letting the SEC hear it and that shit is starting to roll down hill quickly. Hence Ole Miss having to say something. 

• Hook 'Em 5

They just spent a segment on Gameday railing on the faking of injuries. That damned sure came from on high and you can almost guarantee it is numbers driven. Guys like Rece Davis and Saban being as direct and specific around calling it cheating, dirty, unethical, etc., is not common for any subject. I’m neverminding the complete hypocrisy of Saban whining about cheating and ethics for this issue, largely because he’s right and also because it suits my POV as a fan. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m neverminding the complete hypocrisy of Saban whining about cheating and ethics for this issue, largely because he’s right and also because it suits my POV as a fan. 

Agreed. This is way different than the old bag game. This is trying to directly impact the outcome of a game while it’s in progress.

And you have to be a pretty big pussy-assed mother fucker to think you need to do shit like that to help win.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

They just spent a segment on Gameday railing on the faking of injuries. That damned sure came from on high and you can almost guarantee it is numbers driven. Guys like Rece Davis and Saban being as direct and specific around calling it cheating, dirty, unethical, etc., is not common for any subject. I’m neverminding the complete hypocrisy of Saban whining about cheating and ethics for this issue, largely because he’s right and also because it suits my POV as a fan. 

During the OU/Tennessee game, Herbstreit called one of the OU players clearly taking a dive 'unethical as hell." I am expecting some of it from them today, too.

SEC talking heads, "The SEC just 'feels different' this year with more parity".

'Horns need to put an end to that narrative over the next two weeks. Fuck errrrrrrbody. This is our league now!

56 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

During the OU/Tennessee game, Herbstreit called one of the OU players clearly taking a dive 'unethical as hell." I am expecting some of it from them today, too.

I'd expect nothing less from these shitheel, okie dirt burglars. It won't help, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Look at the upside down world we're living in right now. This is the current times for next week's games. The Tennessee-Bama game looms large over who gets the SEC Network game at 3:15. If Bama loses, that most likely relegates their game with Mizzou to the SEC Network slot. Vandy, yes Vandy, should win this weekend against Ball State so I'm not sure how much our game with Georgia would factor into the game time. LSU and aggy should both win their games this weekend against Arkansas and Miss St. 

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29t

35 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh I like this idea. Let's get some games on the West Coast again. I'd love a home and home with Washington and Oregon.

Is this really happening before they do something about the playoff bids / auto-seeding? Why let the ACC and Big 12 skate by with bullshit non-conference schedules and have the Big10 and SEC rack up another loss that could potentially knock a team out of playoff contention.

57 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is this really happening before they do something about the playoff bids / auto-seeding? Why let the ACC and Big 12 skate by with bullshit non-conference schedules and have the Big10 and SEC rack up another loss that could potentially knock a team out of playoff contention.

I think the idea is to freeze out the other conferences to where they only get the dedicated conference champion spot and maybe one extra. If the Big 10 and SEC are getting 8 of the 12 spots, that allows one group of 5 champion, the ACC champ, the Big 12 champ, and one other. The resumes of the at large teams wouldn't be comparable if the Big 10 and SEC at large teams had a decent OOC from the other conference and their normal conference slate. The only teams with any cache to be an at-large by name are Clemson, Miami, and FSU. Each would probably need to be a 10 win team to get that. 

Edited by mdmost

Kinda funny stats here...

Current & Overall Scoreboard

Oklahoma 2024 64-51-5
Mississippi State 2024 3-2-0
Alabama 2023 8-2-1
Georgia 2018 4-1-0
Missouri 2017 18-6
Texas A&M 2011 76-37-5
Tennessee 1969 2-1-0
Kentucky 1951 1-0-0
Florida 1940 2-0-1

Overall Scoreboard but need to remedy current

Arkansas 2021 56-23-0
LSU 2019 9-8-1
Ole Miss 2013 6-2-0
Auburn 1991 5-3-0

Need to Remedy EVERYTHING

South Carolina 1957 0-1-0
Vanderbilt 1929 3-8-1

I guess that means I'm rooting to face LSU in the SEC Championship game so we can do the most cleanup possible this season.  Kinda funny we will be underwater to Vandy for a while.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, mdmost said:

Look at the upside down world we're living in right now. This is the current times for next week's games. The Tennessee-Bama game looms large over who gets the SEC Network game at 3:15. If Bama loses, that most likely relegates their game with Mizzou to the SEC Network slot. Vandy, yes Vandy, should win this weekend against Ball State so I'm not sure how much our game with Georgia would factor into the game time. LSU and aggy should both win their games this weekend against Arkansas and Miss St. 

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29t

I can't imagine that the aggy/LSU game isn't prime time with it being basically a DeFacto potential elimination game for the SEC title appearance(neither team is getting in if they lose IMO) and it's 2 high profile team.

But with Vandy's run and beating Bama...everyone will want to see them take on #1 Texas(if we win this weekend of course.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They need to do away with guaranteed seedings.  Yes a conference Title and being the highest ranked Non G5 team guarantees you a spot int the playoffs, but it should not for seeding. That should go directly off the rankings/committee.  No reason a 3/4 loss Big 12 or ACC team should be 4 and a 1 loss team be 5 just because they play in a tougher conference IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

My guess is that a scheduling arrangement in football is not going to take affect until 2026 at the earliest.  My understanding is that the format is set for 2024-25, but it could change for the rest of the ESPN contract.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I think the idea is to freeze out the other conferences to where they only get the dedicated conference champion spot and maybe one extra. If the Big 10 and SEC are getting 8 of the 12 spots, that allows one group of 5 champion, the ACC champ, the Big 12 champ, and one other. The resumes of the at large teams wouldn't be comparable if the Big 10 and SEC at large teams had a decent OOC from the other conference and their normal conference slate. The only teams with any cache to be an at-large by name are Clemson, Miami, and FSU. Each would probably need to be a 10 win team to get that. 

12 is such a stupid fucking number of teams to start a playoff with.

Just go to 16 and get it over with.

Top 4 can get a by but I prefer all 16 play down to 2.

Much better.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

12 is such a stupid fucking number of teams to start a playoff with.

Just go to 16 and get it over with.

Top 4 can get a by but I prefer all 16 play down to 2.

Much better.

If you have 16 and give the top four a bye, you have 10 teams standing in the second round. 12 with byes basically is a 16-team format but kicking the bottom four teams out in recognition that they would never have won it.

• Hook 'Em 1