SEC Catch-all Thread

LTtxfan

On 7/1/2024 at 12:37 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Seems like Farrell doesn't think Texas can destroy the SEC. I take that kind of personally.

Where is this dipshit?

He made a lot of claims without any evidence to back them up. And don't look now, but Texas is making a move in the SEC...

On 10/12/2024 at 5:57 AM, Billy Pilgrim said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41742064/ole-miss-plans-address-suspicions-faking-injuries-games

They’re not going to stop until there’s some real consequence for doing this. Probably the only reason LSU beat us a few years ago. It’s bush league bullshit.

Those mudbuggers flopped on Memorial Stadium turf multiple times on our drive in the 4th IIRC.

And the Ogre claimed their locker room had no a/c to supposedly cause it. 

Fakest bullshitting I ever heard (texags excepted).

4 hours ago, Drew said:

I can't imagine that the aggy/LSU game isn't prime time with it being basically a DeFacto potential elimination game for the SEC title appearance(neither team is getting in if they lose IMO) and it's 2 high profile team.

But with Vandy's run and beating Bama...everyone will want to see them take on #1 Texas(if we win this weekend of course.

They need to do away with guaranteed seedings.  Yes a conference Title and being the highest ranked Non G5 team guarantees you a spot int the playoffs, but it should not for seeding. That should go directly off the rankings/committee.  No reason a 3/4 loss Big 12 or ACC team should be 4 and a 1 loss team be 5 just because they play in a tougher conference IMO.

Agree that a 3-4 loss champ shouldn’t be seeded higher, but if two teams have one loss then the ACC/B12 champ (in that scenario) should get the nod over the beauty contest…

3 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Agree that a 3-4 loss champ shouldn’t be seeded higher, but if two teams have one loss then the ACC/B12 champ (in that scenario) should get the nod over the beauty contest…

Why?  with imbalances in conference schedule you could have a 1 loss acc or big 12 team that plays like two top 25 teams all year and an SEC or big 10 team that plays like 7 ranked teams.  You telling me you value 11-1 from the first over 10-2 or 9-3 in the second?  Why?  It makes no empirical sense. 

If you want to turn it all over to the computers I'm fine with that. Put a 35 point MOV cap on the model- make every team play all their games against D1 - bowl division if they are still calling it that and let them tell you who the best teams are, if you really want to go with some sort of "fairness" test. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Why?  with imbalances in conference schedule you could have a 1 loss acc or big 12 team that plays like two top 25 teams all year and an SEC or big 10 team that plays like 7 ranked teams.  You telling me you value 11-1 from the first over 10-2 or 9-3 in the second?  Why?  It makes no empirical sense. 

If you want to turn it all over to the computers I'm fine with that. Put a 35 point MOV cap on the model- make every team play all their games against D1 - bowl division if they are still calling it that and let them tell you who the best teams are, if you really want to go with some sort of "fairness" test. 

It just means more!!!!!!!

We chuggin’ this cheese-grit Kool-Aid already?

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/11/2024 at 6:04 PM, Armybrat said:

This thing just arrived in a snailmailer from the LHF….

IMG_6289.jpeg

Yah. It went straight to the coffee can with the other 497 keys and 53 key rings. Sweater gawd I'm gonna make a lamp shade outta that shit someday.

2 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

It just means more!!!!!!!

We chuggin’ this cheese-grit Kool-Aid already?

No.  And read my thread on page 2 of the Georgia gameweek thread to see how I feel about this conference. No kool-aid at all.  But, if you don't get that power imbalances between the leagues, and power imbalances inside the leagues in the schedules teams play in an era of 16 team conferences don't make comparing # of losses a dumb proposition as a stand alone I don't know what to tell you. 

Miami will likely end the year having played 0 ranked teams.  

Georgia will likely end the year having played 5 top 15 teams, only 1 of them at home.  Who the fuck cares if Miami is 12-0 and Georgia is 10-2 in any rational seeding world?  

Texas, however, has a pretty shitty schedule even though we are SEC SEC SEC and scheduled Michigan.  But it's miles better than Miami's.  Oregon has a pretty tough schedule.  Florida's is absurd.  Texas Tech plays 1 ranked team.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I hear you man, and in the end (thankfully) none of this shit matters for us this year and hopefully for the foreseeable future. I’m still just scarred from 25+ years of barely-.500 SEC teams losing to each other and staying ranked, beefing up all of their strength of schedules. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Like I said I prefer 16 with no byes.

Play and winners survive.

That's fair. I like:

A field that includes the top 10-- no legit claimant to the NC should be left out.

A reward for winning the conference (the bye is a great reward IMO)

A chance for at least one Cinderella (the 5th conference champ is a good choice IMO)

Not so many teams that the importance of excellence in the regular season is diminished

In short, I like the 12-team field. But I understand that not everyone sees it my way. 

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If 16 teams are in the playoffs, might as well drop the P4 conf championship games... 

The only way this happens is if you can supplement the lost income.

Most likely more people will tune into watch the P4 CCG than will watch the first round playoff games in the aggregate. So it just doesn’t seem likely.

I think instead of getting rid of automatic seedlings, they open top 4 seeding to all CCG participants. SEC/Big Ten champs will likely always be top 4 but Big 12/ACC would have to earn it over the losers from the SEC/Big Ten. This also continues to keep out Notre Dame and gives the loser of a CCG the ability to still get an advantage over a close #3.

This makes it possible for the SEC/Big Ten to take all four spots, but unlikely as the loser would have another loss compared to the winners of the Big 12/ACC. So if you’re undefeated until your CCG and lose should you really be ranked behind a 2 or 3 loss team that pulled an upset in a weaker conference? Should a two loss K State get a bye over a one loss Georgia or Ohio State?