SEC Catch-all Thread

LTtxfan

This wording seems different than what other conferences have used. 

“If the regular season standings determine a clear Conference champion…”

So, there’s a claim to a regular championship in addition to the winner of the championship game? Kind of a regular season vs. tournament champion?

53 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

This wording seems different than what other conferences have used. 

“If the regular season standings determine a clear Conference champion…”

So, there’s a claim to a regular championship in addition to the winner of the championship game? Kind of a regular season vs. tournament champion?

I truly believe that ‘tournament’ football champions will be a thing in the not too distant future.

Say Georgia is the only team that goes undefeated, does it benefit the conference or Georgia to play in a CCG? Let them claim the bye for the SEC, rest their players, and have the next two teams play for top seeding. It just makes too much sense.

Eventually this game may be a way to pad the stats of your bubble teams.

Last year 10-2 Oklahoma was #12 and would have been first out of the new 12 team CFP and 9-3 LSU was #13. If the SEC could have those two teams play and winner get a bump over a team from another conference and allow its better teams like Texas and Alabama to rest their players and prep for the playoffs. I don’t think this iteration happens soon as teams like Mizzou and Ole Miss would want to claim a conference title more than resting their players for a playoff spot.

17 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

It doesn't clarify how a 3-way tie for the 2nd spot in the CCG is handled. For example, when a tiebreaker eliminates one team and you are down to two, do you start over at the top?

It always says “tied teams.” It doesn’t sound like the tiebreakers eliminate one team at a time. That is, it appears to me that if any step doesn’t produce the required number of winners (1 if the tie is for second, two if the tie is for first) you go to the next step with all tied teams. 

12 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Best spot into finish in the SEC is 3rd. You get a bye week and host a playoff game in your stadium. Not sure if they’ve figured this out yet

But if you win sec championship you still get a week off, and skip 1st Rd of playoffs. 

And then play in Qtrs in ATL or New Orleans

Screenshot_20240820-143900_kindlephoto-2048268.thumb.png.717ec274bcf72e3bcf213fde36d3568a.png

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

But if you win sec championship you still get a week off, and skip 1st Rd of playoffs. 

And then play in Qtrs in ATL or New Orleans

Screenshot_20240820-143900_kindlephoto-2048268.thumb.png.717ec274bcf72e3bcf213fde36d3568a.png

It’s cool until you star player gets injured in the SEC CG. Winning the game suddenly doesn’t feel that great. Losing it would feel 10xs worse. I’d rather just chill and get ready to host SMU or some bs team like that

47 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

It’s cool until you star player gets injured in the SEC CG. Winning the game suddenly doesn’t feel that great. Losing it would feel 10xs worse. I’d rather just chill and get ready to host SMU or some bs team like that

And then lose star player against a team like SMU in the 1st Rd of CFP?? 

I get your point if you lose SEC championship game... otherwise it's likely to be better avoiding the 1st Rd of CFP by winning SEC championship game and getting a week off.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

SEC Mike, Crain, etc. you name it these folks don't want us to come in and win the CCG.

image.thumb.png.1c32b5c3e39b59ae959e0e3bf5315ed6.png

They’re known Texas haters. That’s the show that goofball Brando called to say we’re gonna be “this years A&M” and the goofs agreed. Now after last season they’re a little more subtle about their hatred

13 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Not to be a rah-rah conference homer but the SEC completely whipped ass today in scores. 51-0, 70-0, 52-0, 63-0, 76-0, 31-0, 51-3, 34-3, 69-3, 73-3... damn lopsided scores.

Fuck all those teams. Except the 52-0 one.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Clemson will probably have a winning record.  So they are "good".

They'll roll through that shitty ACC like they always do. Their toughest away is FSU and their toughest home game is NC State. South Carolina looks like ass so they'll get to 9 or 10 wins and a completely underserved first round bye. 

Just now, mdmost said:

They'll roll through that shitty ACC like they always do. Their toughest away is FSU and their toughest home game is NC State. South Carolina looks like ass so they'll get to 9 or 10 wins and a completely underserved first round bye. 

Miami with Ward looks dangerous

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Miami with Ward looks dangerous

They avoid Miami this year. I guess they'll get them in Charlotte. 

Also, don't get a suckered in by a blowout of a shitty Florida team. They and South Carolina might be vying for the worst SEC team this year. 

Edited by mdmost

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Also, don't get a suckered in by a blowout of a shitty Florida team. They and South Carolina might be vying for the worst SEC team this year. 

Somehow, both of our lines seem to have regressed from last year.

2 hours ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

After decades of checking Top 25 and Big 12 scores, now I have to get used to checking SEC scores :) It's a welcome change \m/

Also looks like, there are no divisions in SEC, so must be a #1 vs #2 set up like the old xii. 

Breaking news there, buddy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

They scared.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/columns/2024/08/29/sec-football-texas-first-season-championship-history/74851097007/

If the SEC wants to hold its reputation,
Texas can't be a first-year champ

It's been awhile since the strength of SEC football has been reputationally threatened.

In the aftermath of Southern Cal's dynasty crashing nearly 20 years ago, the league has claimed 13 national titles in 18 years. Among 40 spots in the 10-year history of the College Football Playoff's four-team field, it commanded 12 berths, more than any other league, and was the only league the CFP never once shut out. The NFL Draftputs an annual April stamp on the SEC as the league with the most talent.

There's a different kind of threat looming now, however, and it's not to be trifled with.

Enter Texas.

The Longhorns take their first voyage through an SEC schedule with one of the best five collections of talent in the country. They came as close to a national title last year − a CFP semifinal loss − as Alabama did. They return a experienced star quarterback in Quinn Ewers, perhaps the best left tackle in college football to protect him, and enough tough customers on defense to win the SEC title in its first year in the league.

And how would that look?

The SEC yielding its championship to an expansion school in Year One? Egg, meet face.

Ensuring it doesn't happen isn't a task that falls not on any one school, but collectively on a league that can't walk 10 steps without calling itself the best. At SEC Media Days in Dallas last month, former Alabama coach Nick Saban hinted at the unspoken mandate of relegating the newcomer.

"They're not going to run the SEC," Saban said. "They'll be a good team and a great program, and Sark is going to do a great job, but that's not going to be a problem."

One doesn't have to dig deep on Texas' recent history to find mediocrity, and Big 12 mediocrity, at that. The Longhorns lost five games as recently as 2022, only won five as recently as 2021, and went 13 seasons − from 2010-22 − without winning a Big 12 crown. Had Texas joined the SEC anywhere in that stretch, it would've run into a first-year fate more like one of its SEC expansion predecessors.

When Arkansas and South Carolina joined the league in 1992, both endured losing seasons (Arkansas 3-7-1, South Carolina 5-6). Twenty years later when Missouri and Texas A&M signed on in 2012, the Tigerswent 5-7 in their first SEC year. The Aggiesparlayed Johnny Manziel's debut into a remarkable 11-2 season, but they still finished just third in the SEC West.

Things are looking much brighter in Austin now, however, than they were just two years ago.

Coach Steve Sarkisian has dynamic players operating in a proven offensive system, and the schedule doesn't include Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss or a dangerous Missouri team. The Longhorns face Georgia at home, but even if Georgia handles that bit of business, it's not hard to foresee Texas marching to the doorstep of a league crown with a berth in the SEC title game.

Texas fans, not a bit less arrogant than the most haughty of SEC fan bases, would crow incessantly. The Longhorns play their first SEC game against Mississippi State on Sept. 28 and, by Dec. 7, the trophy is already headed to Austin? Are you kidding? That would be a permanent marker in Texas football history; one that Longhorns fans would never forget.

And never let anyone else forget.

You've got one job, SEC: at least for Year 1, show Texas that its place is anywhere but the top.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

In the aftermath of Southern Cal's dynasty crashing nearly 20 years ago, the league has claimed 13 national titles in 18 years. 

Wonder what happened there?

That would be a permanent marker in Texas football history; one that Longhorns fans would never forget.

I guess we could find a place for it on the wall next to final SWC champs/first Big 12 champs and the moldering scalp of Nebraska's relevance.

Now I am become Texas, the destroyer of conferences.

They scared.
https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/columns/2024/08/29/sec-football-texas-first-season-championship-history/74851097007/

If the SEC wants to hold its reputation,
Texas can't be a first-year champ
It's been awhile since the strength of SEC football has been reputationally threatened.
In the aftermath of Southern Cal's dynasty crashing nearly 20 years ago, the league has claimed 13 national titles in 18 years. Among 40 spots in the 10-year history of the College Football Playoff's four-team field, it commanded 12 berths, more than any other league, and was the only league the CFP never once shut out. The NFL Draftputs an annual April stamp on the SEC as the league with the most talent.
There's a different kind of threat looming now, however, and it's not to be trifled with.
Enter Texas.
The Longhorns take their first voyage through an SEC schedule with one of the best five collections of talent in the country. They came as close to a national title last year − a CFP semifinal loss − as Alabama did. They return a experienced star quarterback in Quinn Ewers, perhaps the best left tackle in college football to protect him, and enough tough customers on defense to win the SEC title in its first year in the league.
And how would that look?
The SEC yielding its championship to an expansion school in Year One? Egg, meet face.
Ensuring it doesn't happen isn't a task that falls not on any one school, but collectively on a league that can't walk 10 steps without calling itself the best. At SEC Media Days in Dallas last month, former Alabama coach Nick Saban hinted at the unspoken mandate of relegating the newcomer.
"They're not going to run the SEC," Saban said. "They'll be a good team and a great program, and Sark is going to do a great job, but that's not going to be a problem."
One doesn't have to dig deep on Texas' recent history to find mediocrity, and Big 12 mediocrity, at that. The Longhorns lost five games as recently as 2022, only won five as recently as 2021, and went 13 seasons − from 2010-22 − without winning a Big 12 crown. Had Texas joined the SEC anywhere in that stretch, it would've run into a first-year fate more like one of its SEC expansion predecessors.
When Arkansas and South Carolina joined the league in 1992, both endured losing seasons (Arkansas 3-7-1, South Carolina 5-6). Twenty years later when Missouri and Texas A&M signed on in 2012, the Tigerswent 5-7 in their first SEC year. The Aggiesparlayed Johnny Manziel's debut into a remarkable 11-2 season, but they still finished just third in the SEC West.
Things are looking much brighter in Austin now, however, than they were just two years ago.
Coach Steve Sarkisian has dynamic players operating in a proven offensive system, and the schedule doesn't include Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss or a dangerous Missouri team. The Longhorns face Georgia at home, but even if Georgia handles that bit of business, it's not hard to foresee Texas marching to the doorstep of a league crown with a berth in the SEC title game.
Texas fans, not a bit less arrogant than the most haughty of SEC fan bases, would crow incessantly. The Longhorns play their first SEC game against Mississippi State on Sept. 28 and, by Dec. 7, the trophy is already headed to Austin? Are you kidding? That would be a permanent marker in Texas football history; one that Longhorns fans would never forget.
And never let anyone else forget.
You've got one job, SEC: at least for Year 1, show Texas that its place is anywhere but the top.

lol what a pussy

You've got to understand Alabama. There are folks with 2nd mortgages on their doublewides to cover their season tickets at Bama.

They fear any program that has resources beyond asking if 70% of a state's population are willing to skip dinner to pay a coach's salary.

They are the definition of "it just means more" because they are giving everything they've got.

• Like 1

I love it when Missouri is mentioned as some sort of threat. They are the example of a program (besides Nebraska) that shits itself every time it sees the OU paperclip or Longhorn logo. “Oh no, you don’t have to play Missouri!”

Give me Missouri instead of Arkansas or Kentucky. Easier game almost certainly since Kentucky is actually decent with no shared history and Arkansas views Texas as its only relevant game in what will be a shit year for them.

Also, mentioning missing LSU as some sort of break is funny. They’re a 6-6/7-5 team this year with what remains a shit defense and lacking a dynamic Heisman winner and two 1st round receivers to bail them out constantly when they’re in trouble. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I love it when Missouri is mentioned as some sort of threat. They are the example of a program (besides Nebraska) that shits itself every time it sees the OU paperclip or Longhorn logo. “Oh no, you don’t have to play Missouri!”

Give me Missouri instead of Arkansas or Kentucky. Easier game almost certainly since Kentucky is actually decent with no shared history and Arkansas views Texas as its only relevant game in what will be a shit year for them.

Also, mentioning missing LSU as some sort of break is funny. They’re a 6-6/7-5 team this year with what remains a shit defense and lacking a dynamic Heisman winner and two 1st round receivers to bail them out constantly when they’re in trouble. 

Speak Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

11 hours ago, gatormarc said:

You've got to understand Alabama. There are folks with 2nd mortgages on their doublewides to cover their season tickets at Bama.

They fear any program that has resources beyond asking if 70% of a state's population are willing to skip dinner to pay a coach's salary.

They are the definition of "it just means more" because they are giving everything they've got.

Mark 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

Yeah these SEC knuckle dragging commentators have no idea about Texas-Arkansas and Texas-Texas A&M, while the historic records show the rivalries are lopsided they are still usually wickedly tough games. 

those of us who are of a certain age know this, I trust Sark is or will be made fully aware.

I love that these rivalries are renewed, but there’s no mistaking the fact that we will always have a tough schedule with OU, Arky and A&M on the schedule I don’t give a fuck what the rankings, records are number of 5 star recruits are playing for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Royale with cheese said:

Mark 12:42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

Polite society prefers "flathulence".

Not that there's any polite society hereabouts... but just FYI.

21 minutes ago, troph said:

Yeah these SEC knuckle dragging commentators have no idea about Texas-Arkansas and Texas-Texas A&M, while the historic records show the rivalries are lopsided they are still usually wickedly tough games. 

those of us who are of a certain age know this, I trust Sark is or will be made fully aware.

I love that these rivalries are renewed, but there’s no mistaking the fact that we will always have a tough schedule with OU, Arky and A&M on the schedule I don’t give a fuck what the rankings, records are number of 5 star recruits are playing for them. 

Sark got his education on Piggy in '21. He won't let the team be unprepared this year.  The 11am kick also helps tremendously.

I can't imagine that he thinks aggy will be anything but Piggy x10. Just hope he knows not to hotel the team in CS.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Sark got his education on Piggy in '21. He won't let the team be unprepared this year.  The 11am kick also helps tremendously.

I can't imagine that he thinks aggy will be anything but Piggy x10. Just hope he knows not to hotel the team in CS.

Not sure Mack ever really got it, all indications suggest Sark is smarter and more humble so I’m hopeful. Institutionally our program hasn’t experienced it year in and year out so I’m more concerned about those two games as much as Georgia. Doesn’t mean I think we lose, but until we have a history again of playing them year in and year out the surprise factor will be there for the team. it’s the nature of lopsided rivalries.