Classic Car thread

TexasEd

I’ve been busy almost every day since I got my car back, engine bay is detailed and painted, door latches fixed, rear end sorted out and today I started working on the headliner.
One a tight schedule to get it ready by late September.
IMG_0058.thumb.png.5a5ad4e6ef94b48a1f582e576c20d391.png

That looks great Ed! Keep it up and you’ll be cruising in no time!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We had a 1969 Buick Electra 225 with a 430 cubic inch engine. It actually occupied two zip codes.

A fraternity brother around 80 bought a beater 73 Cadillac Fleetwood for almost nothing. It was the size of a box car , the longest U.S. passenger car ever made. The back seat was more like a sofa, and it had 7 cigarette lighters, so every passenger had ready access for lighting up. It got like 5 miles a gallon; shit my 70 442 got 6.5.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

This weekend was the first time I was able to make it to the First Friday car show that my suburb holds in the library/train station parking lot. I managed to get one of the last spots. 

Made a token effort not to take pictures of cars that I've already photographed and shared before (aside from my own, of course!) but who knows... 

20240712_180803.jpg

20240712_180812.jpg

20240712_181528.jpg

20240712_181600.jpg

20240712_182311.jpg

20240712_182550.jpg

20240712_182609.jpg

20240712_182724.jpg

20240712_182737.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Great pics! Where is this? Looks like a fun time!

NW suburb of Chicago. 

There were more old guys in wheelchairs there than I remember ever seeing in past years. I stopped to chat with a guy sitting in a lawn chair near his car, and after a moment or two, I realized that he had some sort of degenerative condition that made it difficult for him to speak. His wife darted in and took over the perfunctory conversation. It all kind of unexpectedly bummed me out, to be honest. I think there are going to be a lot of bargains to be found in the American muscle scene here and there for the next 10-15 years... 

• Like 3

NW suburb of Chicago. 
There were more old guys in wheelchairs there than I remember ever seeing in past years. I stopped to chat with a guy sitting in a lawn chair near his car, and after a moment or two, I realized that he had some sort of degenerative condition that made it difficult for him to speak. His wife darted in and took over the perfunctory conversation. It all kind of unexpectedly bummed me out, to be honest. I think there are going to be a lot of bargains to be found in the American muscle scene here and there for the next 10-15 years... 
Sadly, this is where the muscle car hobby is going one motrin at a time. Who know what will be left in 15 years.
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

A few quick pictures from this week.  Heaters were pretty simple back then - it actually was an option. Nothing like the British making sure you were freezing.

Again no comments on the different shades of blue depending on light :)  Also as an fyi - the engine shot show the fusebox for the entire car. it's that really small thing behind the heater - quantity of (2)

2.webp

3.webp

1.webp

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

IMG_3640.jpeg.9044308c45303509a4c6d9f8626a68c6.jpeg

The under dash Pioneer SuperTuner 8 track. Probably paired with some Jensen TriAx 6x9s or some MindBlowers. It was a killer unit and the tuner ungodly. I probably owe my career in electronics to that single product. I learned to install car stereos when I was 15 and it was a little side business thru high school. I installed dozens of those Pioneers. Fast forward 15 years and I’m the buyer for Pioneer’s largest dealer. Great product.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

On 7/29/2024 at 5:20 PM, AUinHsv said:

A few quick pictures from this week.  Heaters were pretty simple back then - it actually was an option. Nothing like the British making sure you were freezing.

Again no comments on the different shades of blue depending on light :)  Also as an fyi - the engine shot show the fusebox for the entire car. it's that really small thing behind the heater - quantity of (2)

2.webp

3.webp

1.webp

About that blue…………..

I like it! 

Can’t wait to see the wheels on her.

12 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Barrington, right?

Park Ridge.

The "show" for my buddy's dad's birthday party where they block off their street and everyone brings their fun cars that I've posted pictures from the past few years was in Barrington, but alas, last year was it - the Birthday Boy is now in his 90s and it's getting to be too much... 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

More. 

20240712_183002.thumb.jpg.bb9599ce8e7f12ee780f17f51f1e6d9e.jpg
20240712_183303.thumb.jpg.9fbdc0b739df7c58e16d3b73bbd3a7cf.jpg
20240712_183324.thumb.jpg.beaf7a25fa55530e1aaf4c2f9fbf3dfb.jpg
20240712_183342.thumb.jpg.23d61703714f4c1cfcc8f987fb49fa0f.jpg
20240712_183350.thumb.jpg.9f94c9778074860bb428c162c43c72e0.jpg
20240712_183408.thumb.jpg.a452546a762ff581dd1e75137cab1624.jpg
20240712_183614.thumb.jpg.e0ee1991774181323fa49e332c3fc4e8.jpg
20240712_184504.thumb.jpg.39ac6315015fa70234f184fa11ddae89.jpg
20240712_190120.thumb.jpg.3f373abb2a8a0d1ff22b7ec6557d83c0.jpg

Looks like at least three 442 or Cutlasses there. I had a 70 442 when I was 16. My high school parking lot would go for a few mill a mecum. Back in the mid70’s the budget car was a muscle car. A buddy had a hemi Cuda he got for $800. The lot had plenty of early CamarosZ28’s, boss Mustangs, 340 Demons, Hemi or 440 Chargers and RoadRunners. Buddy inherited a tan 64 Dodge Dart with a rusted out floor. He dropped in a Hemi with big mufflers with cutouts. Left the slant 6 badges. Would try to race dudes and lose then come back up on a bigger bet and open the cut outs. Sounded like Don Garlits on the line. The rich kids had conversion vans and good weed, or later wheezy thunderchicken TransAms, or Vettes. One had a fucking Bricklin.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Looks like at least three 442 or Cutlasses there. I had a 70 442 when I was 16. My high school parking lot would go for a few mill a mecum. Back in the mid70’s the budget car was a muscle car. A buddy had a hemi Cuda he got for $800. The lot had plenty of early CamarosZ28’s, boss Mustangs, 340 Demons, Hemi or 440 Chargers and RoadRunners. Buddy inherited a tan 64 Dodge Dart with a rusted out floor. He dropped in a Hemi with big mufflers with cutouts. Left the slant 6 badges. Would try to race dudes and lose then come back up on a bigger bet and open the cut outs. Sounded like Don Garlits on the line. The rich kids had conversion vans and good weed, or later wheezy thunderchicken TransAms, or Vettes. One had a fucking Bricklin.

Yeah, the Cutlass holds a special place in my heart - it was the first car my Dad ever bought new, and was the car he had during my earliest memories.

He was eventually delighted to replace it with an '85 Maxima. 

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Boss vs nonboss

I haven't paid as much attention to the 69 as the 68, but was not aware that the BOSS 302 didn't have the side scoop that the other 69s had. Apparently it was a small run 691/2 release. That white one is a 1/149 in that color apparently. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I haven't paid as much attention to the 69 as the 68, but was not aware that the BOSS 302 didn't have the side scoop that the other 69s had. Apparently it was a small run 691/2 release. That white one is a 1/149 in that color apparently. 

The story I've read a few times is that Larry Shinoda was in charge of the SCCA Trans Am racing program at Ford.  Boss 302 was the Trans Am car.  Shinoda did not like the non-functional side scoops so they were not included in the Boss 302 cars,  They are on the 69 Boss 429 cars.

Edit:  Found this story on the prototype  https://www.motortrend.com/features/1969-ford-mustang-long-lost-boss/

The simulated scoops on top of the rear quarters were another major issue. Every Mach 1 came with these scoops. However, Shinoda preferred a smooth body for his Boss. Every '69 Boss 302 came from the factory with smooth rear quarters without the fake scoops—which is how John's Mustang looked. He checked for evidence of modifications to this scoop on his car. He poked a long mirror down the quarter from inside the trunk and could see brazing work from the backside. Later, he pulled the rear seat to see the work directly.

"Ford brazed on those caps. They are not pop-riveted."

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Well fuck. Old girl must have heard me lusting after the younger ones. Heater core decided to do a massive failure on a drive with the wife this evening. Started spewing coolant all over the passenger floorboard. Got it home and it gave up the ghost. Hope I didn't do any damage with the overheating, but looks like I need to bypass the heater core as a short term solution while I research rebuilding the heater core. These fucking old cars.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well shit, this looks like a job.

I did this on my Mustang in the driveway using a portable floodlight, a flashlight in my mouth and the factory shop manual as my guide after I got off work one night in 1991. It basically took all night.  I think if I had known what I was doing in advance I would have done it in 2-3 hours, but it was really an unnecessary pain in the ass. 

My advice would be that unless you want to have an intact core as a heat sink in case of overheating, bypass the motherfucker until such time as you want to replace/upgrade the entire AC and heating system of the car. 

And thank you for reminding me why I don't want to fuck with these old cars anymore. I was getting the itch. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I did this on my Mustang in the driveway using a portable floodlight, a flashlight in my mouth and the factory shop manual as my guide after I got off work one night in 1991. It basically took all night.  I think if I had known what I was doing in advance I would have done it in 2-3 hours, but it was really an unnecessary pain in the ass. 

My advice would be that unless you want to have an intact core as a heat sink in case of overheating, bypass the motherfucker until such time as you want to replace/upgrade the entire AC and heating system of the car. 

And thank you for reminding me why I don't want to fuck with these old cars anymore. I was getting the itch. 

Yeah, this is going to spiral. Gonna limp along with a bypass until I get the motivation to knock out a bunch of minor (some console repair, radio mounting bracket, gas gauge replacement, door speakers, etc.) and more substantive issues (a/c compressor) that I have been putting off. Between the heater and the ac i can count on one hand the number of times I have turned them on in the last 4 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Oh, and don't be a fucking pussy. 

This one is a solid enough original example that I am trying to keep it OG for probably silly reasons. I am looking for a fastback that I can do really stupid shit on without feeling bad about it. Was pitching to my wife a little bit before the hot coolant started pouring out on the floor pan in front of her. 

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2024 at 10:11 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

bypass the motherfucker until such time as you want to replace/upgrade the entire AC and heating system of the car. 

Yep, looks like this is where I am going to end up. Bypass in place and everything back in order. Am in zero rush, but given the fact that it appears that my compressor is shot, most logical thing to do is just to drop in a classic auto air or vintage air retrofit and knock it all out with a modern retrofit. Looks like 2k is the going price for the retrofit, so this may never actually happen. I got a long list of other issues to address. 

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yep, looks like this is where I am going to end up. Bypass in place and everything back in order. Am in zero rush, but given the fact that it appears that my compressor is shot, most logical thing to do is just to drop in a classic auto air or vintage air retrofit and knock it all out with a modern retrofit. Looks like 2k is the going price for the retrofit, so this may never actually happen. I got a long list of other issues to address. 

disappointed the wire GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

What year is your car again? I installed the Classic Auto Air kit in my 69.

I've had the heater core bypassed for the past few years after mice took up brief residence there (pro tip: don't leave granola bars and peanut butter cheese crackers in the glove box when a car goes into storage...) but I am having a new one put in soon. 

There's nothing quite like driving a convertible with the top down on a crisp fall (or spring, but fall is somehow better) night and having the heat cranking on your feet. I've missed that specific experience enough that I'm having the work done just for the enjoyment I'll get a few times a year... 

• Like 2