Classic Car thread

TexasEd

The GT-1 class (many are apparently last year's Trans Am cars) was loud as shit. Only a handful of cars competing in the class, but it was by far the loudest race we happened to see. It's hard to say for sure, but they felt louder than any Cup or Xfinity NASCAR cars I've seen. 

On 10/6/2024 at 8:19 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Needed an excuse to give the AMG some exercise so I took the Doomlet up to the SCCA Runoffs at RoadAmerica yesterday. 

Assorted photos:

20241005_143018.jpg

I worked my way through school installing car stereos, and anytime one of these rolled into the shop all the installers hid. You had to just about remove the entire dash to get the stock radio out. 

47 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I worked my way through school installing car stereos, and anytime one of these rolled into the shop all the installers hid. You had to just about remove the entire dash to get the stock radio out. 

Yeah, those are pretty finicky, odd cars. Ahead of their time in many ways, like Subaru often was back before they become a soulless purveyor of least common denominators 10ish years ago. 

This one sounded awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/10/2024 at 6:58 AM, Party_Taco said:

Spent the last few months chasing electrical issues in the K-20 and finally had my guy just redo the entire wiring harness… what a mess!

Hopefully this solves it…

faec411ba3d633682900210c4f6d269f.jpg

I'm forever chasing electrical issues on my C-10.  Right now, turn the ignition key and sometimes the truck starts and sometimes nothing.  Fiddle a bit with the wires coming out of the fuse panel and then it starts.  Just haven't taken the time to determine which wire is causing me issues - I suspect one of them is shorting out.  Every wire in this 55 year old truck has been spliced, split, or otherwise jacked with in one way or another.

If I ever have the truck completely apart for painting, I'm installing a new, painless wiring harness. 

• Like 1

I'm forever chasing electrical issues on my C-10.  Right now, turn the ignition key and sometimes the truck starts and sometimes nothing.  Fiddle a bit with the wires coming out of the fuse panel and then it starts.  Just haven't taken the time to determine which wire is causing me issues - I suspect one of them is shorting out.  Every wire in this 55 year old truck has been spliced, split, or otherwise jacked with in one way or another.
If I ever have the truck completely apart for painting, I'm installing a new, painless wiring harness. 

In high school we had a buddy who’s Chevy would start just by turning those two tabs on either side of the ignition key hole. It was essentially an unintended loaner to his buddies. We would take it out to lunch, leave it in a different spot from where we found it, etc. He had about a 50/50 chance of coming out of school in the afternoon and finding his truck on the lot. Zero percent it was where he left it in the morning.

While my MGA has Lucas components I am forever glad it is simple - literally two fuses for the entire car. Of course Lucas being the dark prince can still take advantage of it.  On my first MGA I was heading down the interstate back to college around midnight and dark as it could be. The headlights turned off and the wipers started working for about 30 seconds and then back to headlights. I was looking around for a UFO nearby.

On 10/10/2024 at 6:58 AM, Party_Taco said:

Spent the last few months chasing electrical issues in the K-20 and finally had my guy just redo the entire wiring harness… what a mess!

Hopefully this solves it…

faec411ba3d633682900210c4f6d269f.jpg

That looks like a poorly installed car alarm? crimp caps and speaker wire...yeesh. 

In high school we had a buddy who’s Chevy would start just by turning those two tabs on either side of the ignition key hole. It was essentially an unintended loaner to his buddies. We would take it out to lunch, leave it in a different spot from where we found it, etc. He had about a 50/50 chance of coming out of school in the afternoon and finding his truck on the lot. Zero percent it was where he left it in the morning.

Similar situation with a hs buddies 68 ford stake bed truck except it would start with a screwdriver. Which stayed in the ignition. It was basically a community car.
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2024 at 10:29 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

The worst was the 69-73 Opel GT as the fucking engine had to be hoisted out and most of the interior yanked out.  I was at CMC and if we advertised Free Install (very rare back then) the fucking Opel GT club would be lined up.  “Sir did you read the disclaimer?  Your car is specifically excluded.

another bad one was a mid-late 70’s Datsun B210.  One of the shittiest cars ever made.  It was so cheap.  Interior was mostly cardboard. But the dash had to come out. And it would only fit something tiny and cheap like a pioneer kp1500, and a couple 4 inch speakers unless you cut metal.  Anyone driving one of these had no money.

• Hook 'Em 1