Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty

Cairn Horn88

14 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

If the good guys win and MAGA is defeated, and our national politics return to some semblance of normalcy (a huge if), it's going to be absolutely insane to look back on Trump years from now. If we lose shit will just get worse, though perhaps never quite as bizarre as the Trump era. 

Either way, there are going to be a shitload of Trump movies and shows coming out for years. 

Mel Gibson is probably salivating about doing a Passion of Christ type tribute to Trump.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I wanted to.  Never shorted a stock in my life.  This was free money.  Yet another failure on my part to get in on the grift.

Something tells me we'll get another shot. It's not BK yet.

23 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Bond was covered by insurance company out of California.

Knight Specialty Insurance Group, can't say I've ever heard of them, though if their website is anywhere close to accurate they are gigantic.  From just glancing around, they are big in the reinsurrance market, which I'll be honest, I really don't know anything about at all.  

Someone probably explained this but how does this bond work? I get how a criminal bond works where the court keeps the money until you appear and if you do then they refund it. What happens here? If Trump loses his appeals does the bond company forfeit the money it put up and then have to go after Trump for it?

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

So someone who Trump already owes a lot of money to just got him even more over a barrel.

So Axos may have had a choice, lose $175 million against book value right now, or potentially more on liquidated property right now.  They may well still lose the same amount a few months from now, but at least for now they are able to kick the can down the road a bit.  

Do I have that right?  

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Someone probably explained this but how does this bond work? I get how a criminal bond works where the court keeps the money until you appear and if you do then they refund it. What happens here? If Trump loses his appeals does the bond company forfeit the money it put up and then have to go after Trump for it?

Yup.  That's why they're typically 100% secured with liquid, foreclosure-free assets.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

So Axos may have had a choice, lose $175 million against book value right now, or potentially more on liquidated property right now.  They may well still lose the same amount a few months from now, but at least for now they are able to kick the can down the road a bit.  

Do I have that right?  

If they took his stake in a property they hold the note on as collateral if he loses they get the whole property. 

3 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Do I have that right?  

Possibly.  An execution-style foreclosure can be an even bigger clusterfuck than a mortgage foreclosure, so pushing that off could have some value.

5 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

If they took his stake in a property they hold the note on as collateral if he loses they get the whole property. 

The question with that would be is the bond is less than what they stand to lose against the building(s) if liquidated.  This may well be a case of either way we are screwed, but this is better for us sort of thing.  If they take control after the fact it opens options for them down the line.  

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

Knight Specialty Insurance Group, can't say I've ever heard of them, though if their website is anywhere close to accurate they are gigantic.  From just glancing around, they are big in the reinsurrance market, which I'll be honest, I really don't know anything about at all.  

Did a Summer job for a reinsurance company in Austin back when I was in undergrad. They deal with amounts of money that are staggering.

Basically, the way it works is... if you want to insure something huge, like an entire resort complex, no single insurance company can afford to insure the whole thing; if it goes down, it'll take the company with it.

So a primary insurer takes, say, the first $1M worth of claims. They're responsible for everything under that. Then, they sell the rest of the value of the thing to reinsurance companies. The next $1M-$50M will be held by another company; the next $50M-$200M by another, and so on until the whole thing is covered. The reinsurance companies cover more of the value, but pay fewer of the claims, and the risk is managed by being covered by a bunch of companies.

To give you an idea of the kind of money they deal with -- and remember, this is back in the 1990s -- hear this true story.

It's late July. I'm helping one underwriter (let's call him Andy) with a printer issue, and another underwriter comes in (let's call him Bob) because he lost $75M on a claim. Bob is whining that the owner is going to fire him over it, while Andy's reassuring Bob that he did the numbers right and that these things happen. Bob meanders off, and Andy turns to me and says, "He's being modest. He could lose that much every day for the rest of the year, and still come out ahead."

That's one underwriter, in late July, who could lose $75M every day of the year and would stll be ahead. At 1990s prices.

They deal with amounts of money that are staggering.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

All it means is that he’ll actually have to pay when he loses his appeals. Makes it a lot easier than trying to collect the hard way.

No, it means Knight will have to pay.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

All it means is that he’ll actually have to pay when he loses his appeals. Makes it a lot easier than trying to collect the hard way.

Well only the bond amount. Court reduced bond to about 1/4 of the judgment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

But, people believe Trump anyway, and the media mostly just sits on its hands.

In our modern media landscape, truth can always be defeated by a firehose of falsehoods. And by golly, that's trump's signature move

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just for grins, I looked up violent crime statistics for New York state.  They peaked in 1990, with 1,181 instances of violent crime per 100,000 people.  That number is currently 429 instances per 100,000 people, a reduction of nearly 64%.

Just now, Captainant said:

In our modern media landscape, truth can always be defeated by a firehose of falsehoods. And by golly, that's trump's signature move

We probably need to rethink what the concept of media is, in general. The media as a concept of true information is dead. It's all just televised or digital entertainment. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just for grins, I looked up violent crime statistics for New York state.  They peaked in 1990, with 1,181 instances of violent crime per 100,000 people.  That number is currently 429 instances per 100,000 people, a reduction of nearly 64%.

Nope there has been coverage of the crime statistics.   The stories are out there, but people have their own facts now.

News story from 2/12 of this year.  Also talks about why people don't think it's true

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/12/1229891045/police-crime-baltimore-san-francisco-minneapolis-murder-statistics

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

We probably need to rethink what the concept of media is, in general. The media as a concept of true information is dead. It's all just televised or digital entertainment. 

Well formerly trusted sources (read: MSM) stopped being about informing the public a long time ago and became another entity that exists SOLELY to generate a profit for its shareholders. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, locodos said:

Nope there has been coverage of the crime statistics..

I didn't say there was zero media coverage, but mainstream media outlets tend not to fact check these wild claims when he makes them.  Granted, they'd be fact-checking something pretty much every day, but it's part of the job description.

Just now, Captainant said:

Well formerly trusted sources (read: MSM) stopped being about informing the public a long time ago and became another entity that exists SOLELY to generate a profit for its shareholders. 

I know, that's what I'm saying. But even know, even posters like us who know this, still complain and say "oh, the media doesn't do shit." Even that statement still gives a gravitas, an expectation of "the media" that it absolutely doesn't fucking deserve anymore and we should reset accordingly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We have an unprecedented ability to get accurate information from various media and non-media sources.  We just have to be vigilant and critical in how we process that information.

The blame lies with the voter.  Not 100%, but so much so that nothing else matters.

That's democracy's fatal flaw.

The left is banking on it working, the right is committed to finding an alternative.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, locodos said:

Nope there has been coverage of the crime statistics.   The stories are out there, but people have their own facts now.

News story from 2/12 of this year.  Also talks about why people don't think it's true

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/12/1229891045/police-crime-baltimore-san-francisco-minneapolis-murder-statistics

I actually had a conversation with my old boss about this a few weeks ago. He was convinced all of the big cities were in the middle of a huge spike in violent crime. When I told him the actual statistics did not support his argument he told me "Oh yea, I have heard that, but it's just that the FBI has been under reporting the crimes."

How in the fuck do we deal with this? I know it's something that comes up on here daily, but how can you reach people like this if we can't even agree on a shared reality? This is a smart and very successful person - he just won't accept any data that doesn't support is priors. I just shook my head and laughed in his face.

• Rage+1 8

• immamac changed the title to Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty