Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty

Cairn Horn88

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

The fat orange guy with the tiny hands.  Look at the upper part of his hands and his wrists.  Never mind his coloring, for a guy his size and age...that swelling level is not good.  He doesn't drink but that sharply indicates he is having organ malfunction.  He doesn't know it consciously, but it's happening.  He thinks he's invincible, but his body has begun to devour itself.  Only question remaining is whether we enjoy the hell outta this or he takes us down with him.  

IMG_2763.jpeg.50c81d9ffe14db56bad455aeff3ab252.jpeg

I've laughed at Boebert
I've laughed at Margie
I've laughed so hard
Then I suddenly see

[Chorus]

Fat orange man with the tiny hands   Forget the spray tan
Just look at those hands

• Hook 'Em 1

I wonder if the jury has any kind of inkling that the consequence is just a fine, and so a guilty verdict isn’t a big deal or a tough choice if the case is well proven.  Which would be why his attorney put it in their minds that a jail term is a possibility. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if the jury has any kind of inkling that the consequence is just a fine, and so a guilty verdict isn’t a big deal or a tough choice if the case is well proven.  Which would be why his attorney put it in their minds that a jail term is a possibility. 

You're probably not wrong about him simply getting just a fine if found guilty. But, to my knowledge, the maximum penalty could be up to four years. Of course, he'd appeal that verdict, which would last forever. 

Edit: I don't know who does the sentencing in that case, whether it would be the judge or the jury.

Edited by bolverk

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

You're probably not wrong about him simply getting just a fine if found guilty. But, to my knowledge, the maximum penalty could be up to four years. Of course, he'd appeal that verdict, which would last forever. 

Edit: I don't know who does the sentencing in that case, whether it would be the judge or the jury.

The Judge sentences.   One of the things affecting the potential sentence is lack of contrition and refusing to admit that what you did was wrong. I’m sure Trump will be humble and contrite if convicted. 

IMG_2764.webp.a6172b9e25806e479fc59dd31181fa0c.webp

I am also sure that the judge will completely ignore all of those attacks on him and his daughter that put his family at risk.  

IMG_2472.gif.071894d2d0c6c15861dd1c6946dcfc60.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The comment about prison was massively improper because it is not the jury’s role to determine punishment, and there is also a pattern jury instruction specifically telling the jury not to consider possible consequences of the any verdict.  Using the P word was intended to make them wonder if they were going to be the first ones putting a former President in jail, which could give some people pause regardless of their thoughts on his criminal culpability. 

And no, I am not saying this because I think he will serve time, but all the judge said was that imprisonment was not an automatic required response to a guilty verdict. He also did not say that jail time was absolutely out of the question.   30 days would make a point about no man being above the law.  If he is convicted, that is my preferred sentence - to shut up his Jean Valjean imitation - like he suffered 19 years unjustly.  

Convicted felon and ex-con, however short, would be sweet.   I would have to take a hangover day off if that happened.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

The comment about prison was massively improper because it is not the jury’s role to determine punishment, and there is also a pattern jury instruction specifically telling the jury not to consider possible consequences of the any verdict.  Using the P word was intended to make them wonder if they were going to be the first ones putting a former President in jail, which could give some people pause regardless of their thoughts on his criminal culpability. 

And no, I am not saying this because I think he will serve time, but all the judge said was that imprisonment was not an automatic required response to a guilty verdict. He also did not say that jail time was absolutely out of the question.   30 days would make a point about no man being above the law.  If he is convicted, that is my preferred sentence - to shut up his Jean Valjean imitation - like he suffered 19 years unjustly.  

Convicted felon and ex-con, however short, would be sweet.   I would have to take a hangover day off if that happened.

Just a note, even if the jury sentences, as it does or can in some jurisdictions, it is still massively improper to hint at punishment aspects during the guilt phase. It's just not proper for the jury to consider. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, I for one, have a hard time believing that Trumps team would do anything improper!

Also 30 days in jail seems like a horrible out come.   He'll just play the martyr and the press will be dominated with coverage of Trump's jail time...   Day 15 of Trump's historic confinement!   What did he eat today?

It'll be a absolute shit show

• Hook 'Em 1

Just a note, even if the jury sentences, as it does or can in some jurisdictions, it is still massively improper to hint at punishment aspects during the guilt phase. It's just not proper for the jury to consider. 

Right. Of course, there’s no need to hint at all in that scenario because the potential punishments are thoroughly discussed during voire dire.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is the jury's determining his sentence an option in NY?  So far, everything I've read has indicated that the judge will determine his punishment if he's found guilty.

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Is the jury's determining his sentence an option in NY?  So far, everything I've read has indicated that the judge will determine his punishment if he's found guilty.

Don't think so, no.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

I don't know the answer to that question, but the issue seems to be the jury even considering possible sentences while deliberating innocence or guilt.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Don't think so, no.

All the shit-talking he did about the judge throughout this trial seems like even less of a good idea in that scenario.

Edited by dcbc

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know the answer to that question, but the issue seems to be the jury even considering possible sentences while deliberating innocence or guilt.

Correct.  I understand the objection to the defense's argument.  I was asking separately whether the jury's determining punishment was an option.  It is in Texas.  It seems like maybe not in NY.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

All the shit-talking he did about the judge throughout this trial seems like less of a good idea in that scenario.

It's a genius strategy for an appellate point.  "The judge who handed down the sentence was clearly biased because of all the Defendant's demeaning public comments about the judge and his family.  You must reverse!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

It's a genius strategy for an appellate point.  "The judge who handed down the sentence was clearly biased because of all the Defendant's demeaning public comments about the judge and his family.  You must reverse!"

Thankfully, judicial bias is a very steep hill in a criminal appeal.  Also, it might be a pretty fun run at the invited error doctrine to spend 5 weeks trashing a judge and his family in every known media form, then cry bias.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

93be67cd-0c04-4668-b641-638f87b07f77.png

Yeah....I once had to answer for a (very green) judge the question of "so, what is your authority for the argument that I can grant summary judgment on just part of a claim?"  I didn't handle it well, as I answered "you mean....other than the rule, which says you can move for summary judgment on 'all or any part of' of a claim?"  And she said "yes, other than that."  I told her I'd get her a short letter brief that afternoon, which I did - I literally had to type out the exact text of the rule and I cited about half a dozen exemplar cases where the court did exactly that.  

In fairness, she got it right, and learned quickly.  And she may also have been super-nervous as it was literally her first day on the bench.

But some of these ideologues that were appointed last term....they're flat-out dumb and bad at being judges.  And setting aside politically important cases, everyday practitioners are going to have to deal with their idiocy and incompetence for decades to come.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, locodos said:

Well, I for one, have a hard time believing that Trumps team would do anything improper!

Also 30 days in jail seems like a horrible out come.   He'll just play the martyr and the press will be dominated with coverage of Trump's jail time...   Day 15 of Trump's historic confinement!   What did he eat today?

It'll be a absolute shit show

They will probably allow him to post updates to his scam social media network from the joint.  Probably have McD's delivered four times a day, every day.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They will probably allow him to post updates to his scam social media network from the joint.  Probably have McD's delivered four times a day, every day.

Wow! So like a death sentence?

• Haha 2

You know, I make a lot of piss-poor "NOTE TO SELF" jokes on this site.  But the fucking shitbag is actually making notes to self and they are composed of material he should have down by rote by now.  

This fucking simulation.  

Merchan has concluded his jury instructions

Judge Juan Merchan has concluded his jury instructions.

He asked lawyers to come to the bench.

"That concludes my instructions on the law, counsel please approach," Merchan said.

so it begins....

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, locodos said:

Merchan has concluded his jury instructions

Judge Juan Merchan has concluded his jury instructions.

He asked lawyers to come to the bench.

"That concludes my instructions on the law, counsel please approach," Merchan said.

so it begins....

giphy.webp.cd3d4833bfc879e9ee18229a2a85597f.webp

Now I'm rooting for a long deliberation and a bored Trump sitting around the court house...

Merchan directs parties to remain close: "You cannot leave the building"

Judge Juan Merchan is off the bench as the jury deliberates.

"I’m going to be in the robing room for a little while just in case we get a quick note. Then I’ll probably go upstairs," Merchan said before he left the bench. "I do direct all of you to be please here. You cannot leave the building."

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Red Five said:

On all counts? I'd say that's unlikely.

Maybe. But "former president Donald Trump" is a real thing that happened.

Also, gird yourself for a hung jury.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Completed law school and passed a bar exam, yes?  Anything to interpret from that?

One or both of those things are superfluous?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Maybe. But "former president Donald Trump" is a real thing that happened.

Also, gird yourself for a hung jury.

Main food source on the ledge is hamgirders. I'll see myself out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, locodos said:

Now I'm rooting for a long deliberation and a bored Trump sitting around the court house...

Merchan directs parties to remain close: "You cannot leave the building"

Judge Juan Merchan is off the bench as the jury deliberates.

"I’m going to be in the robing room for a little while just in case we get a quick note. Then I’ll probably go upstairs," Merchan said before he left the bench. "I do direct all of you to be please here. You cannot leave the building."

Guilty on all counts but 1 that results in 2 weeks of deliberation that ends in a hung jury on that 1 count

I Hope Please GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Guilty on all counts but 1 that results in 2 weeks of deliberation that ends in a hung jury on that 1 count

I Hope Please GIF

I be fine with them being back in a hour or two with all charges guilty, thank you.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

• immamac changed the title to Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty