Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty

Cairn Horn88

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Boy, they sure did rule quickly when Colorado tried to keep Trump off the ballot. 

Well, because you see, there was an election coming up, so they wanted to get out in front of it.  I don't think there's anything big coming up later this year.  Like an election.  Where the voters should be informed if they have a choice between a 34 time convicted felon or many many many more convictions.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

What's the hurry?

In a normal world, having him rant on why he should have complete immunity to commit all crimes would be helpful closer to the election to prove how utterly incompetent he is for the job, but 80 million people will just nod along and go to the polls for him, so it won't make a shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/18/2024 at 7:05 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Get Katie Porter or Jared Moskowitz in charge of messaging.  They have a knack for boiling big complex stuff down to something simple fairly quickly.

Porter needs a job.  

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Is the hearing this morning the one where if Cannon fucks it up, she might get removed from the case?  I remember our resident lawyers speculating that one of the upcoming ones had the potential to be a big enough screw up to justify it.

The key thing is if she makes a ruling that either terminates the case or is sufficiently prejudicial to the government to warrant an appeal. While it is not a certainty, it is conceivable that the 11th Circuit remands the case to a different trial judge. I believe they have the power to do that and recent revelations show that the "local" judiciary has concerns about the appearance and her competence to handle the case. 

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well, because you see, there was an election coming up, so they wanted to get out in front of it.  I don't think there's anything big coming up later this year.  Like an election.  Where the voters should be informed if they have a choice between a 34 time convicted felon or many many many more convictions.  

There is a tangible difference though. The Colorado case would have taken him off the ballot entirely.

While there is an election coming up, the immunity issues don't keep him on or off the ballot. His trial and conviction is a data point most of us would like to have, but it is only a data point and the reality is that conviction won't make a shit. 

On 6/18/2024 at 10:05 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Dems need deferential hacks like Schumer to step aside and let the AOCs and Newsoms take the lead.

Sadly, it will not matter who takes the lead for the Democrats. That’s because the Dems will never ever confront — in any serious way — the most broken and malignant segment of American consciousness, which is infecting politics and every aspect of culture. 

And that malignancy is Christian Fascism. Because they believe “God" has their back with a divine plan for America, they are empowered with arrogance and ignorance on epic scales, which fuels the racism, hatred, and complete idiocy and anti-science nonsense.

Oh, sure, billionaires and corporate corruption are significant problems, but they are in second place. And the rich are often empowered by the same Christian fanatics, such as those that worship Trump. Dems will criticize the ultra rich, but not the ultra religious. As Catholics, AOC and Newsom ain’t taking on religion in any meaningful way. 

Instead, they and the Dems meekly complain about the political symptoms of Christian Fascism, not the disease. It’s like treating a broken leg with an Ace bandage and Bayer aspirin. Or like treating cancer with Advil or Codeine. Sure, the pain may be reduced and you’ll feel temporarily better, but ya still got a broken leg or cancer. 

As a consequence of the permanent free pass, the Christian Fascists realize no one in media or culture will stand up to them on any fundamental level. Hence, they are making a play for total power in a theocracy — and are on the verge of seizing it and backing it with violence. 

These aren’t fake Christians, as history has repeatedly shown. When they have a chance for total power, they’ll take it and impose it with vengeance. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, C-Man said:

You’re delusional if you don’t think he’s going to do exactly this if he’s convicted and still wins in November. If he gets re-elected, all kinds of shit we’ve never seen in this country is gonna go down.

That's what happens during the process of a  democracy turning into a theocracy/dictatorship. All sorts of things start happening that had never even been thought possible before. 

We're in the shit right now. If humans and recorded human history is still around in the year 2124 they'll be looking at us as the generations that destroyed the United States the way we look at the era of Nero

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

There is a tangible difference though. The Colorado case would have taken him off the ballot entirely.

While there is an election coming up, the immunity issues don't keep him on or off the ballot. His trial and conviction is a data point most of us would like to have, but it is only a data point and the reality is that conviction won't make a shit. 

This defense of SCOTUS is bullshit, man.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

They had a chance to take the case months ago and refused.

If it was a question of Biden’s immunity then they already would’ve ruled against him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

Sadly, it will not matter who takes the lead for the Democrats. That’s because the Dems will never ever confront — in any serious way — the most broken and malignant segment of American consciousness, which is infecting politics and every aspect of culture. 

And that malignancy is Christian Fascism. Because they believe “God" has their back with a divine plan for America, they are empowered with arrogance and ignorance on epic scales, which fuels the racism, hatred, and complete idiocy and anti-science nonsense.

Oh, sure, billionaires and corporate corruption are significant problems, but they are in second place. And the rich are often empowered by the same Christian fanatics, such as those that worship Trump. Dems will criticize the ultra rich, but not the ultra religious. As Catholics, AOC and Newsom ain’t taking on religion in any meaningful way. 

I don’t think there are nearly as many Christian fascist types as it seems, but I do think they exert an oversized influence on a lot of things (especially when they fuck with school boards and local races).  I look at all the MAGA nuts in my family (East Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri), and I look at the folks we know from my wife’s old (Southern) Baptist church, and MAGA nuts I’ve worked with or related to friends of mine, and there should be some prime candidates in that bunch, but they aren’t crossing the line into foaming-at-the-mouth Christian nationalist/fascists.  In fact some of them have been slowly drifting away, but that’s all anecdotal (I still consider it a decent sample size over a wide geography and demographic base).  I will say that folks you can point at and say “yep, definitely a Christian fascist” are loud as hell.

There’s not much you can point to as a reason for the Christian fascists other than they’ve always been around but now they are organized and talking to one another and have the ears of some politicians. There is not a single defining moment you can point to with these people, it’s just an accumulation of batshittery that is now on public display.

But I think I think something happened nationally in November of 2008 that spooked some folks, and here in Texas something has been quietly happening over the last 15 years that has some folks on edge.

I think racism is a lot more prevalent, even if it’s more subtle and/or subconscious, and I think it’s a bigger problem.  For instance, it may not be blatant, but I do not think it’s a coincidence in Texas that as whites have not only lost the majority, but are now below %40, that Republican leaders are increasingly trying to take over the elections, schools, and policing in the largest cities.  Your typical white Texan may not even realize they make up less than 40% of the state, but your politicians do - every so often they deal with a lot of demographic data (elections). Now, I’m not saying for instance that Greg Abbott hates Hispanics or other minorities, but I think Greg Abbott (and other Texas leaders) is aware that as they pass up whites, and as more hit voting age as whites decline as a percentage of voters, that he knows Texas will be in play.  There’s no other reason to go after things like voting and education unless you are concerned about the numbers in the future, and the only thing that is concerning for Republicans in those numbers are the percentages of whites dropping in the numbers over time.

edit: some can and should argue that being afraid of losing an election doesn’t make one racist, and it doesn’t, but if you do things that affect certain groups in order for you to try and remain in power, than you are a racist.

Edited by atomheartbevo

9 hours ago, TexArcher said:

It's funny that this alleged incompetence keeps benefitting one side over and over.  Kinda like how my firm has never, ever accidentally overpaid a commission.  

Them- protected, not bound. Us- bound, but not protected. 

20 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

surly lawdogs. : nothing to be concerned about !

It’s not like she dressed poorly or forgot to return phone calls

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

surly lawdogs. : nothing to be concerned about !

Seriously why do you have to say this false shit during your group back slapping Daisy Chain posts.    Nobody has ever said that there was nothing to be concerned about.  Ever.   It was pointed out in the past that she could be doing things wrong because she’s a fucking incompetent who doesn’t know what she’s doing.   There was a post recently quoting practitioners before her who said she has no idea what she’s doing - and she seems to be floundering and has no idea how to make a decision that’s correct. The people who said that were not a part of the Trump case, they were talking about other cases she is hearing.

That post absolutely shows that the prior comments questioning her overall incompetence were not wrong.  We never said she wouldn’t do things wrong, and never said that there was no chance she wouldn’t do things wrong for ideological reasons.   We said the fact that she fucked up non-Trump cases makes one wonder whether her fucking up the Trump case was due to her similar stupidity and inexperience - or something different.    

The comment back then was “we’re not sure if it’s incompetence or intentional so let’s wait to see how things go.” That’s it. That was the only comment.  Nobody said it was not concerning. Nobody said it was impossible that she was in the tank for the orange turd.  We said back then that her general incompetence made it difficult to figure out what was intentional…and what was her lack of competence and experience. 

Nothing that was said refused to admit the possibility that she was in the bag for Trump.   Now that we know that senior judges asked her to informally recuse herself and she declined, we know exactly why she is there doing what she’s doing. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

The comment back then was “we’re not sure if it’s incompetence or intentional so let’s wait to see how things go.” That’s it. That was the only comment.  Nobody said it was not concerning. Nobody said it was impossible that she was in the tank for the orange turd.  We said back then that her general incompetence made it difficult to figure out what was intentional…and what was her lack of competence and experience. 

Lol y'all were extremely butthurt that anyone would dare besmirch the legal system. Six months ago y'all were calling me hysterical for saying aileen in is the tank for trump, and now that there's no other film flam latin based pretense to hide behind and handwave her actions away y'all are finally opening your eyes to reality

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Lol y'all were extremely butthurt that anyone would dare besmirch the legal system. Six months ago y'all were calling me hysterical for saying aileen in is the tank for trump, and now that there's no other film flam latin based pretense to hide behind and handwave her actions away y'all are finally opening your eyes to reality

No one was butthurt.

The "defenses" of the legal system did not come in the form of defenses of Cannon.  She's indefensible, whether it's her bias or simple incompetence and inexperience or some combination of the two.

What the lawdogs do is tamp down the really very conspiracy-ish explanation of legal events made by people who don't really know what they're looking at.  

Righties aren't the only ones that suffer from confirmation bias. y'know.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/21/2024 at 6:51 PM, BevoAbyss said:

Instead, they and the Dems meekly complain about the political symptoms of Christian Fascism, not the disease. It’s like treating a broken leg with an Ace bandage and Bayer aspirin. Or like treating cancer with Advil or Codeine. Sure, the pain may be reduced and you’ll feel temporarily better, but ya still got a broken leg or cancer. 

As a consequence of the permanent free pass, the Christian Fascists realize no one in media or culture will stand up to them on any fundamental level. Hence, they are making a play for total power in a theocracy — and are on the verge of seizing it and backing it with violence. 

These aren’t fake Christians, as history has repeatedly shown. When they have a chance for total power, they’ll take it and impose it with vengeance. 

It’s a tale as old as time - religion being used as a cover for absolute power. Our country was “built” / stolen on the idea of Manifest Destiny, so why would it change now? 

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

No one was butthurt.

The "defenses" of the legal system did not come in the form of defenses of Cannon.  She's indefensible, whether it's her bias or simple incompetence and inexperience or some combination of the two.

What the lawdogs do is tamp down the really very conspiracy-ish explanation of legal events made by people who don't really know what they're looking at.  

Righties aren't the only ones that suffer from confirmation bias. y'know.

Y'all may think that your inability to see what was plainly obvious with Cannon reflects well on your ability to patiently practice and analyze law, but in reality all it does is reflect poorly on your ability to see what is right in front of your face here in the real world. 

• Hook 'Em 8

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yes man, it is a defense. When someone is criticizing SCOTUS for acting quickly on one case to help Trump and delaying as long as they can on another case to help him (particularly when the one they acted quickly on was actually a question of first impression and the one they're delaying is not and was already addressed to any reasonable judge's complete satisfaction by the appellate court), pointing out distinctions between the cases (which will literally, 100% of the time, always exist) as an alternate explanation for their delay is defending them.

And I really don't know how to express how much I hate the "who cares? It's not like it would even matter" mindset. I'm pretty cynical about the American voting public, particularly undecided voters, but I do think there are millions of undecided voters who would decide for sure they won't vote for him if he were to be convicted of crimes related to January 6th or of stealing nuclear secrets. They're still undecided for hundreds of reasons, but particularly because they don't pay constant attention to politics and thus don't really know much detail about any of Trump's million scandals. They don't know what you know.  

The Republicans on SCOTUS know this. They know delaying their decision on immunity, and then punting back to the district court for specific determinations as to whether all of Trump's acts at issue were public or private acts, will delay the trial until after the election. They are very fucking clearly doing this because they do not want undecided voters to see him get convicted of Jan 6th shit or of stealing nuclear secrets before the fucking election! For you to brush this behavior off as insignificant reveals a deep disdain for American democracy, the same disdain they have.

This is why the Dems should be running scary ads on TV right now that flat out say, “Donald Trump was caught selling our nuclear secrets to other countries, he also set up a scheme to override the election that he knows he lost, etc…”.  Why be nice at this point.  Blast shit like that all over the airwaves just like Fox News does.  The only difference is the stuff about Trump is the truth opposed to the right wing propaganda.  It may not work on everyone but I guarantee if you put ads out saying he sold our nuclear secrets and who knows what else just to get rich off of the American people and show some pictures of bad guys from other countries and then Trump in prison it will resonate with a lot of undecideds.  Scare them like the right does.   Shit, tell the world he is a pedophile.  Spreading lies seems to work for Fox News.  

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

This is why the Dems should be running scary ads on TV right now that flat out say, “Donald Trump was caught selling our nuclear secrets to other countries, he also set up a scheme to override the election that he knows he lost, etc…”.  Why be nice at this point.  Blast shit like that all over the airwaves just like Fox News does.  The only difference is the stuff about Trump is the truth opposed to the right wing propaganda.  It may not work on everyone but I guarantee if you put ads out saying he sold our nuclear secrets and who knows what else just to get rich off of the American people and show some pictures of bad guys from other countries and then Trump in prison it will resonate with a lot of undecideds.  Scare them like the right does.   Shit, tell the world he is a pedophile.  Spreading lies seems to work for Fox News.  

"He said he's going to be a dictator.... He won't commit to not running for a third term... He said he would have started WW3 if he had been president..... He is friends with our enemies and enemies with our friends....."

There is just so much. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Calling him a pedophile wouldn't even be a lie! 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It may not work on everyone but I guarantee if you put ads out saying he sold our nuclear secrets and who knows what else

Plus, it would force Trump to respond, which is a bad look.  "I deny selling nuclear secrets to our enemies" isn't exactly solid platform material.

• Hook 'Em 2

Captainant: What do you call 100 dead lawyers?

Surly lawdogs: The indispensability of legal practitioners in contemporary jurisprudence is predicated upon the intricate complexity of statutory frameworks and the multifaceted nature of common law precedents. Attorneys, by virtue of their extensive legal education and professional licensure, serve as essential intermediaries in the interpretation, application, and advocacy of legal principles. The doctrine of procedural due process, enshrined within constitutional guarantees, implicitly necessitates the presence of legal counsel to ensure equitable adjudication and the preservation of fundamental rights. Moreover, the adversarial system, a cornerstone of modern legal practice, inherently presupposes the engagement of proficient advocates to advance the respective contentions of litigants. Hence, the professional existence of lawyers is inexorably intertwined with the very fabric of legal systems, safeguarding both the administration of justice and the rule of law.

Me:

IMG_5972.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Hard Times said:

Maher now gone totally looney. Lock up Dotard and throw away the key.

maher has been irrelevant for a while. why anyone insists on trotting his nonsense out is beyond me, he's not a beacon for anything, just a contrarian asshole who says shit to rile people up. sounds familiar

• Hook 'Em 7