Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty

Cairn Horn88

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Guliani and Meadows are fuuuuuucked

No deals for them, Trump had immunity 

This is my take as well. It’s possible that Trump will escape some (all?) cases because of the SCOTUS ruling. At a minimum he can tie up his cases for long stretches with appeals. The others don’t have that. Is there a count of everyone that has gone to prison for Trump?

its also key that Jenna Ellis agreed to give testimony to any jurisdiction, including federal in exchange for her immunity in AZ. She’s a govt witness now across the board for any prosecutor.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The AZ case just got a lot more interesting ….

Jenna Ellis taking a life raft off the capsizing SS Trump is some evidence that A) Trump's 2nd presidency is mostly about avoiding punishment for crimes committed during the first and that B) the ability for Trump to win the election is looking...

9f4a6a1444707d4d4473d30f356a2dd7c48464a1

• Hook 'Em 1

At this point there was little chance it would go to court before the election.  Trump can sweat it out as it's an unknown hanging over his head and Jack Smith can figure out his case.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, tx ind said:

At this point there was little chance it would go to court before the election.  Trump can sweat it out as it's an unknown hanging over his head and Jack Smith can figure out his case.

Angry Fire GIF by Gerbert!

i said from the start that smith was in over his head here 

10 hours ago, tx ind said:

After SCOTUS's ruling, there was no chance the trial would start before the election. Might as well take all the time they can get to figure out how best to argue the case and whether they should go ahead and charge him for more shit (like insurrection).  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

After SCOTUS's ruling, there was no chance the trial would start before the election. Might as well take all the time they can get to figure out how best to argue the case and whether they should go ahead and charge him for more shit (like insurrection).  

Yeah but he led the insurrection as the president so wouldn’t it be an official act…

Joking / not joking.

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Angry Fire GIF by Gerbert!

i said from the start that smith was in over his head here 

And you were wrong.  

The Supreme Court gave little direction to speak of, as to which facts may or may not support conviction under the immunity decision on any given charge - which in and of itself is a gift to Trump-because any wrong decision guessing what the right law is under which facts will be Res Nova and a chance for SCOTUS to dismiss stuff.  

The bigger danger, IMO, is to get a Doddard charge dismissed because of a mistake, and so not rushing ahead meaninglessly to meet an election trial deadline that cannot be met under any circumstance is silly. 

Rather than ‘over his head’, I think this is exactly the right move.  Jack has to react on the fly from total bullshit by the Supreme Court.   A little caution in proceeding is not an indication he doesn’t know what he’s doing.  more than likely, they identified some potential dangers and need more time to figure out how to deal with them. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2024 at 9:45 AM, Gatorubet said:

And you were wrong.  

The Supreme Court gave little direction to speak of, as to which facts may or may not support conviction under the immunity decision on any given charge - which in and of itself is a gift to Trump-because any wrong decision guessing what the right law is under which facts will be Res Nova and a chance for SCOTUS to dismiss stuff.  

The bigger danger, IMO, is to get a Doddard charge dismissed because of a mistake, and so not rushing ahead meaninglessly to meet an election trial deadline that cannot be met under any circumstance is silly. 

Rather than ‘over his head’, I think this is exactly the right move.  Jack has to react on the fly from total bullshit by the Supreme Court.   A little caution in proceeding is not an indication he doesn’t know what he’s doing.  more than likely, they identified some potential dangers and need more time to figure out how to deal with them. 

all true, I was just let down how this played out 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/9/2024 at 9:33 AM, tx ind said:

Playing it forward, if Trump loses the election, the documents case in Florida will be resurrected.

Well  . . . either it will or it won't.  I'm fairly sure the case will be resurrected by the 11th Circuit, regardless of what happens, and likely before the election. https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/68955302/12/united-states-v-donald-trump/

What the Supremes do, and how dependent is that on the election, is not clear to me.**  There is some fucked up shit in Cannon's dismissal, but one thing that bothers me (without having read other cases on the issue),  is that the statutes concerning the powers of the Attorney General do not authorize special counsel or independent counsel as clearly as one could hope.  Pinche Congress. A functional Congress could fix that in a blink, if it is even necessary.  But where that ends up, I dunno.

ETA fn **:  If they are wholly in the bag for Trump personally, they might protect him even if he is not POTUS.  If they are in the bag for christofascist, of which Trump is only a sometime symbol, then it's less clear how protecting him serves their interest.  More broadly at stake is the viability of a special or independent counsel under these AG rules.  Because nothing in the AG rules actually (perhaps in practice, though) creates some kind of super-prosecutor, but only one that has some degree of independence from the AG and thus the administration for appearance's sake, at least.  The alternative, no special counsel unless Congress authorizes, doesn't actually seem to change much.

Edited by TwiceHorn

What I think is a pretty accessible article on the issue regarding Special Counsel, the language of statutes authorizing (or failing to authorize) their appointment by the AG.  https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/judge-cannon-should-have-stuck-to-the-beaten-path

Lawfare does some really good stuff on these kinds of things.  A great example of a liberal-affiliated (Brookings) outlet that doesn't pull punches.

So this is how shitty things are. I'm not sure that a short prison sentence--if there is one--even hurts him. If anything maybe it motivates a few lethargic voters to get off their couch on election day to keep a "politically targeted" candidate out of prison. I'm very willing to find out though.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So this is how shitty things are. I'm not sure that a short prison sentence--if there is one--even hurts him. If anything maybe it motivates a few lethargic voters to get off their couch on election day to keep a "politically targeted" candidate out of prison. I'm very willing to find out though.

Yeah, since his conviction has seemed a nothingburger  or actual pro to the base, and most of the rest of us who concluded he was a grifting crimey piece of shit even before prosecution and conviction, I don't think it makes much of a shit.

And it will all be subject to appeal anyway.

12 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

There are people who hope that serial killer in training psycho will one day be a monarch.

Caligula with nukes.

Edited by Willfully Horn

3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

There are people who hope that serial killer in training psycho will one day be a monarch.

Caligula with nukes.

I guess he would be a barron first.

Seriously hope that shit isn't true.

His old man some similar type issues according to his high school academy classmates...allegedly.