Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty

Cairn Horn88

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

Cannon has a lifetime appointment and is already set being incompetent and essentially unfireable. Why would she give that up for an at most 4 year appointment? Seems a better quid pro quo request would be a promotion to the 11th Circuit (after she’s done saving him at the trial court). I think Garland took the chance expecting 8 years under Biden but even if Kamala replaces him I can see her reappointing him to the bench. Say what you will about his tenure as AG he was a good judge. Cannon doesn’t have that.

Because money. If you were attorney general of the US, you could immediately get a job as a partner with profit sharing at a major firm where you make between $2-8M a year, plus undisclosed fees for speaking engagements at Fed Soc events and the like as a private individual. 

3 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

So what's the timeline --if any-- for the 11th circuit to rule on her dismissal of the docs case?  Do they need several more months on this

They had it on an expedited basis, with Trump's brief due in September.  Trump moved to extend that a month, and Smith did not oppose.

Appellee's brief due October 25, 2025.  Government's reply due 21 days later. https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/68955302/united-states-v-donald-trump/

I'd imagine they have oral argument in December and a ruling by January.  Educated guesses only.

EDIT TO ADD:  I said it was expedited because the appeal was noticed on July 8, and the briefing schedule putting the government's brief due August 27 is pretty fucking swift.  HOWEVER, the briefing dates stem from ordering and receiving the record from the trial court, as you probably know.  On July 24, the government certified that all documents were on file.

Because this is an appeal of a discrete order, I guess there isn't much record on appeal and the transcript of the hearing is mostly irrelevant because it was non-evidentiary.  So maybe just going fairly fast on that alone.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Rage+1 1