Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

I don't think there is a race component. There are lots of great white women's players that aren't the same draw. I was pulled in by CC not because of her color but because of all the records she broke and her extraordinary skill and outrageous shots she makes. She is the Steph Curry of the WNBA. She is fun to watch. Top 15 in scoring and top 5 in assists in her first few games on the worst team combined with an unparalleled college career and y'all don't think she belongs?

She would make the Olympic team better.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, definitely not derka said:

this thread has more posts in the last three weeks than this forum’s wnba thread has in its four-year existence. and people seriously ask why caitlyn clark should be on the team. smh. 

Because this is not a women’s basketball thread, it’s society and current events and a zeitgeist. At least, that’s why I’ve been participating. 

There’s a Brittany griner thread somewhere that was more popular than the wnba thread too. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think the Woman Alone narrative is terrific drama and also a huge factor in her crossover appeal. Controversy sells.

If the whole league bowed down to her and was buddy buddy people would stop caring very quickly

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Because this is not a women’s basketball thread, it’s society and current events and a zeitgeist. At least, that’s why I’ve been participating. 

Yeah which means $$ for the wnba. This isn't even a phenomenon. 

Team USA would have sold 10x maybe even 100x the Olympic jerseys if they put CC on and ran all the ads with her. 

I hope that CC is so successful she starts her own league that has higher revenue in year 1 than the last decade of the wnba combined. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Pancho said:

I’d also argue Taurasi, while she has a ton of experience, could have been left off and Arike Ogunbowale put on

No one cares about who the other 11 girls are. That's the entire point. This isn't about women's basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

Its also pretty much the oldest marketing trick in the book. If you wanna get a bunch of people behind something, tell them how much that thing is hated by the people they hate. Tipper Gore sold a ton of albums in the 80s.

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

No one cares about who the other 11 girls are. That's the entire point. This isn't about women's basketball. 

So then there’s no need for a team. Just have Clark play by herself. Problem solved.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

So then there’s no need for a team. Just have Clark play by herself. Problem solved.

Yes. You are starting to understand. If that was actually the case people would tune in more vs 5 on 5. No matter the result. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I don't think there is a race component. There are lots of great white women's players that aren't the same draw. I was pulled in by CC not because of her color but because of all the records she broke and her extraordinary skill and outrageous shots she makes. She is the Steph Curry of the WNBA. She is fun to watch. Top 15 in scoring and top 5 in assists in her first few games on the worst team combined with an unparalleled college career and y'all don't think she belongs?

She would make the Olympic team better.

I don’t think her race is impacting her popularity that much.  Style of play

I think race is a factor in the hate though

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I, for one, would definitely check out at least the first game where Clark was playing 1 on 5, just to see what it would look like.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Ha. CTH has found the the very rare one-sided coin

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Isaiah didn't get on because Jordan said he'd walk away if Thomas got on the roster.  And you can't have a Dream Team without Michael.  The Laettner thing over Shaq was always strange to me. I guess they needed some boring white dude to make Larry Bird seem hip?  

I don't know this game as well as most of you, but that seems strange to leave Caitlin off the Olympic Roster when she's clearly one of the best 12 female basketball players in the United States at any level.  I get that she's getting gruff in the WNBA, wrong as it may be.  But the U.S. team shouldn't be doling out this tacit "Well, she hasn't paid her dues yet.  We need to give the veterans their duly-earned spots"  Bullshit, the USOC doesn't fucking do that in any other women's olympic sports.  They don't leave off 19yo gymnasts or 21yo swimmers because "they need to put in their time."  This is it, this is their peak time.  They don't build a relay team off of 3 peak athletes and then 37yo Monica because she's really put in the work all these years.  

No she is not,  She is good and will be very good but there are at least 15 better right now.  Probably more.   She is a bigger name and for some that's all that matters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah if I'm Caitlin's team, I would be recommending that she skip the Olympics this year.  Needs the off time, and also has to get a lot stronger in the off-season.  

This too.   She is finding the W game a little too physical right now.   The international game is more physical.  

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

You’re just making this shit up.

And if Clark was on the team, she’d be on the bench 90% of every game save for the blowouts against Cuba or Japan.

This shit about women’s basketball sleep walking to their 8th straight gold medal and if their 12th player on the bench is getting more run than the NBA finals thread

Pancho. It doesn’t matter if you could name 5 other players better than CC. Team USA womens will throttle every team whether CC is on the team or not.

They’ve won 54 straight games and haven’t lost since 1992.

I’m not even a CCstan. But leaving a national figure off the team just because Diana taurasi is 41 and been on every team since 2004 is bananas

• Hook 'Em 5

And if Clark was on the team, she’d be on the bench 90% of every game save for the blowouts against Cuba or Japan.

He was talking about the hate towards her, not playing time. Its there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I got a Cuban Blowout from a girl named Caitlin in college once.  Is that anything?  

You've forgotten more about this sport than I'll ever know.  One thing they should have taken into consideration is revenue/budget.  I know that's not a "on-the-court" thing, but it's a factor.  Our Olympic teams rely very heavily on the corporate partnerships and sponsorships.  I don't really don't care, in the end, who is and who is not on this roster.  But Clark is simply a big brand right now and could have helped secure a lot of private sector dollars for the next Olympic cycle.  That may be unfair to some other athletes, but that's how money works.  They don't get government funding like most other countries (other than some logistics and security support once they get to the host country for diplomatic reasons).  And even moreso than the Men's side, Women's teams also rely heavily on 'personal fundraising', basically NIL before there was NIL.  In the years and months leading up to the Games (and even while there), they do all kinds of appearances and exhibitions and clinics in their myriad sports and charge a lot for it.  

This isn't like some famous 60 year old sprinter from Barcelona Games taking up a relay spot away from a more deserving runner.  Because they were once a big name and could help secure some funding even now.  This is, again on-the-court aside, a balancing act.  Can we still win Gold while setting our 'program' up for massive financial support leading up to 2028?  I don't know the answer, but it seems like some of the decision makers didn't know it either.  In the end, I don't give a shit.  Of course we want these athletes to win gold.  and I want to watch a couple games with my daughter.  It's just my finance brain talking.  

• Hook 'Em 1

She didn’t even go to the national training camp required to be selected.

She will do nothing but sit on the bench most of the games and rarely play. Then if she doesn’t play are people going to complain then?

There are other guards who are better than she is. 

So she didn’t earn it but should be on the team because she’s popular? And now Americans are going to root for the women’s team to lose?

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

She will do nothing but sit on the bench most of the games and rarely play. Then if she doesn’t play are people going to complain then?

So she didn’t earn it but should be on the team because she’s popular? And now Americans are going to root for the women’s team to lose?

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Dude stop acting like this is about fucking sports. Holy shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

In no way is anybody here hoping our team loses.  We aren't the psycho assholes who whined about that Simone Biles "bailed on her country" because she wasn't feeling cognitively/balance correct and didn't feel like snapping her neck last games.  Those are the other guys.  

If Caitlin didn't even go to the camp (I don't know all the backstory), then yeah-they can tell all her fans to go pound sand.  I was just bringing up the point on how much money they could raise heading into our home games in 2028 for the sport.  They'll be fine on the court, either way.  Unless of course, there's an East German "Women's" team being formulated right now I don't know about.  

Edited by YGIFS

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

They definitely had all of their talking points itemized on why Caitlin wasn't included.

It's hilarious watching folks go above and beyond to explain why she is being left off the Olympics team.  Quite a few fans won't like Caitlin being left out, but it's great to keep folks talking about WNBA and Caitlin. 

What's the old saying, "any publicity is good publicity😋

57 minutes ago, markstanco said:

He was talking about the hate towards her, not playing time. Its there.

I’m well aware of that which is why I said he was making it up. 

18 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

how do you still not get this? the wnba and its players have been moaning and bitching since the dawn of time for people to pay attention to them. it’s *finally* happened, the nation is *finally* interested in the league/sport, it’s *all* because of caitlyn clark, and yet the wnba collectively responds by cheap shotting and shit talking cc, and now she’s not even going to be included in the showcase event for their sport. they *finally* have the real chance to grow their sport and get the attention they’ve been begging for, and instead of embracing it they are trying to kill it. it’s stranger than fiction. it’s just straight up insane.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Agree that someone will get hurt or get “hurt” and she will be the selection. 

Yeah, this is good booking.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pancho said:

You’re an emotional weirdo that is so easy to trigger.  The very post you quoted I said Clark doesn’t deserve a spot 

you got people like jemele hill, Lavar Arrington, Colin cowherd, Dan Patrick, Chris canty, tj ramalamadingdont, saying race is a component but according to pancho nah

Edited by closetohumping

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Since this thread is more active adding here

2024 WNBA Schedule

Screenshot_20240608-203454_kindlephoto-17612985.thumb.png.2a92d9e07ade14b8cc8a02ec9ac42dc9.png

I don’t know when the basketball tournament begins but I assume most of the roster will be selected for the all star game. Plan is they play in that game and then head to Paris?  

33 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You’re an emotional weirdo that is so easy to trigger.  The very post you quoted I said Clark doesn’t deserve a spot 

you got people like jemele hill, Lavar Arrington, Colin cowherd, Dan Patrick, Chris canty, tj ramalamadingdont, saying race is a component but according to pancho nah

Chill out. It’s interesting of all the posts on this website you chose mine to label as emotional, weird, and triggered.

I have nothing to be triggered about. I think it’s—interesting—to see the discourse all of a sudden. I’ve given props to Clark before and will most likely do it again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

They definitely had all of their talking points itemized on why Caitlin wasn't included.

It's hilarious watching folks go above and beyond to explain why she is being left off the Olympics team.  Quite a few fans won't like Caitlin being left out, but it's great to keep folks talking about WNBA and Caitlin. 

What's the old saying, "any publicity is good publicity😋

So its just talking points?  Not reasoned points from people who have experience with the league and international play?

Anything other than complete deferral to CC is unacceptable.   Its interesting.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, d2o said:

So its just talking points?  Not reasoned points from people who have experience with the league and international play?  Anything other than complete deferral to CC is unacceptable.   Its interesting.

It was rehearsed and specific. Well planned out.

No agenda from me, just interesting delivery from those announcers that are usually a lot more casual in their responses.

Edited by LTtxfan

12 hours ago, d2o said:

So its just talking points?  Not reasoned points from people who have experience with the league and international play?

Anything other than complete deferral to CC is unacceptable.   Its interesting.

I'm dead serious in saying yes, anything other than complete deferral to CC is unacceptable. She doesn't ask for more than she can handle and isn't asking for free wins/rules to benefit her. 

She IS the wnba today. Not to the hardcore fans, literally all 10k of them. She is the wnba to the MILLIONS of fans who this time last year didn't even know that the wnba still existed, couldn't have told you a single name of a woman on a roster, and still can't other than CC. I don't get what is so hard about this. 

The wnba isn't a serious sports league. I have been completely serious about Caitlyn making more than the entire wnba combined last season. Especially with Olympic endorsements. 

No one cares that she's even playing basketball anymore, she's famous and people root for famous people not just in the sport they play. She could drop a rap video on YouTube and it would get 50M views. If she started an OF the Internet would melt. 

Cam cracks me up 😋

Screenshot_2024-06-09-10-39-38_kindlephoto-4090849.png.2be2a744e8fe56ddf914d5a15a9a0039.png

Cam Newton, a one-time NFL MVP with the Carolina Panthers, downplayed the Caitlin Clark-Chennedy Carter saga in the latest episode of his podcast on Friday.

Carter’s hard foul on Clark last weekend in the Chicago Sky’s matchup with the Indiana Fever was the talk of the sports world for the entire week – even before the rookie sharpshooter was reportedly left off the U.S. Olympic women’s basketball roster.

Newton weighed in on the "4th&1" podcast and said if it was any other league, the foul wouldn’t have been national headlines. Newton said the foul was just a part of basketball and told Clark to just keep on playing.

"Why are we acting as if she’s America’s sweetheart in a league that, she’s in a league full of hyenas and lions, tigers and bears? Everybody is comin’ after you to try to dethrone you, and trying to get in your head – mentally, physically, emotionally," Newton said. "And this is just an example of that. How many times did we see Michael Jordan get his a-- whupped? … Nobody is above getting checked or being disliked. So, Caitlin, welcome to the big leagues. Everybody ain’t gonna like you.

Screenshot_2024-06-09-10-39-56_kindlephoto-4123638.png.8ac1fad23e284aa7a61035895a731476.png

Posted (edited)

SIAP

Caitlin“Sometimes it stinks how much the conversation is outside of basketball and not the product on the floor and the amazing players that are on the floor and how good they are for their teams and how great this season has been for women’s basketball.”

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

SIAP

Caitlin“Sometimes it stinks how much the conversation is outside of basketball and not the product on the floor and the amazing players that are on the floor and how good they are for their teams and how great this season has been for women’s basketball.”

And this is why she makes the big bucks. 

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

SIAP

response from the amazing players that are on the floor : “fuck caitlin clark!”