Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

2 hours ago, immamac said:

She's famous for being famous right now, not famous for being a basketball player. 

Slight disagreement - she's famous because she single-handedly rewrote the record book while in college and is already setting records as a pro. There's never been a women's basketball player like her and she's electrifying to watch when she's on her game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

You described Aja Wilson too, and she won a NC something Clark didn’t. 

Why isn’t she getting the same “fame?”

because espn didn’t spend the last two years overloading america with highlights of aja wilson playing ball like a female steph curry. end of story.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Because men over the age of 18 that choose to wear  a jersey with another mans name on the back are probably developmentally challenged and certainly not capable of making the proper choices in life. 

New motto?

Posted (edited)

if a black girl was the best passer in college basketball (men’s or women’s), was dropping 35-40 points per game with regularity, was hitting 7+ threes in a game with regularity, was leading her team to the final four, was the NPOY, and was being force fed to the sports watching public by espn due to their vested interest in women’s hoops, then america would be just as into her as we are CC.

whats really insane about this though? the race stuff. because i don’t think that cc’s race has *anything* to do with her fame for anyone who isn’t already an actual racist. but what i do believe, is that if CC were black that the hatred and animosity she’s receiving from her peers in the wnba would only be a fraction of what it currently is. that’s how it works. “you like her because she’s white!” says the people who hate her in no small part because she’s white. zero chance that “the culture” would be treating a lack girl this way. none.

Edited by definitely not derka
  • Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

if a black girl was the best passer in college basketball (men’s or women’s), was dropping 35-40 points per game with regularity, was hitting 7+ threes in a game with regularity, was leading her team to the final four, was the NPOY, and was being force fed to the sports watching public by espn due to their vested interest in women’s hoops, then america would be just as into her as we are CC.

whats really insane about this though? the race stuff. because i don’t think that cc’s race has *anything* to do with her fame for anyone who isn’t already an actual racist. but what i do believe, is that if CC were black that the hatred and animosity she’s receiving from her peers in the wnba would only be a fraction of what it currently is. that’s how it works. “you like her because she’s white!” says the people who hate her in no small part because she’s white. zero chance that “the culture” would be treating a lack girl this way. none.

Even black media folks are saying race is a factor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saying race is a factor in why black players "hate" her but it cant be a factor is why white people like her is pretty fucking funny.

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Even black media folks are saying race is a factor. 

Yeah they are also saying that its a factor in her popularity as well though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

Saying race is a factor in why black players "hate" her but it cant be a factor is why white people like her is pretty fucking funny.

Yeah they are also saying that its a factor in her popularity as well though.

Who was saying that?  She's popular because she's white?  If that's the case, why isn't Joker more popular.  Probably because he's unathletic and looks like a slob? Black commentators are saying her race is a factor in the treatment she is getting by fellow players.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Who was saying that?  She's popular because she's white? 

@BeardIP has said that, and you didn’t call him triggered or weird nor did you bring up your examples. 

11 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

You were driving the conversation on this thread at one point and have the contrary opinion.

I was neither driving the conversation about her race nor do I have a contrary opinion. You’ve once again made something up to fit your narrative. 

I’ve seen articles by Black media saying Clark’s race is has to do with her popularity and that’s a benefit she has over other players. I have not read an article saying her race is why she’s “hated” in the WNBA. If you have it, I’ll read it. 

From what I’m seeing, nearly all Black media like Clark. 

But what sucks for Clark is this—her popularity is now turning into a cultural/political divide and I just don’t believe that’s what she wants. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Who was saying that?  She's popular because she's white?  If that's the case, why isn't Joker more popular.  Probably because he's unathletic and looks like a slob? Black commentators are saying her race is a factor in the treatment she is getting by fellow players.

Joker is not American.  

Again, Black commentators are also saying some of CC's popularity is related to her race.  You only agree with them on the part that goes with your argument? 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

Joker is not American.  

Again, Black commentators are also saying some of CC's popularity is related to her race.  You only agree with them on the part that goes with your argument? 

Wemby and Giannis are also not American.  

They could be right.  But I don't find myself aligning with Jemele Hill or the lady from the View too often.  If Caitlin's popularity is due to her race, why aren't Taurasi, Bird or Stewart more popular? 

I think CC's style of play is what's attractive about her.  She also feels like an underdog. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Real question / not attacking / would like to hear your opinion.

Why is Clark getting all this when those before did not?

I would say (as someone who has maybe watched 1 WNBA game) that with the 1 and done making March Madness for the Men not nearly as enjoyable due to a lack of storylines/name brand coaches with over the top egos/players you get invested in you had a sweet spot for a player like CC to come along and get pumped up by ESPN.

Then add in Angel Reese/Mulkey as evil empire, Dawn Staley & SC as just a machine and you get people watching Women’s March Madness (this year was my first time and that was LSU/Iowa game) and actually enjoying it. 

Also the WNBA’s previous big storyline in past 5 years was a stupid Britney Griner getting jailed in Russia for MJ products (in spite of US State Dept basically warning people away from Russia)

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

If Caitlin's popularity is due to her race, why aren't Taurasi, Bird or Stewart more popular? 

This is what I’ve been saying from the start yet I’ve been called a bunch of names and claim “I just don’t get it.” 

Odd. 

But another person has answered your question and it’s because she’s not just White she’s an “All American Sweetheart” type White which I just don’t believe a lot of White folks think about that shit but I could be wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pancho said:

This is what I’ve been saying from the start yet I’ve been called a bunch of names and claim “I just don’t get it.” 

Odd. 

But another person has answered your question and it’s because she’s not just White she’s an “All American Sweetheart” type White which I just don’t believe a lot of White folks think about that shit but I could be wrong. 

I'd argue that Stewart and Della Donne fit that mold, among others.  Is it the sexuality thing?  Sounds like you and I are on the same page though.  Race has nothing to do with her popularity.  Style of play, timing and media hype do.

I think it's just timing. Women's sports have grown in popularity in the last several years. The NWSL is still a young league and is attracting good crowds, including at Kansas City which built a stadium specifically for their team. College softball is breaking viewership and attendance records. Clark came along during this timeframe and is not only an amazing player but someone that was likeable overall. The media has tried to pump the WNBA for a while now but it's just now working and they found someone that people are drawn to, so they're riding it extra hard now, focused largely on her. All the other stuff is sort of side chatter i.e., race, jealousy, etc. Just my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Wemby and Giannis are also not American.  

They could be right.  But I don't find myself aligning with Jemele Hill or the lady from the View too often.  If Caitlin's popularity is due to her race, why aren't Taurasi, Bird or Stewart more popular? 

I think CC's style of play is what's attractive about her.  She also feels like an underdog. 

First no one said it was solely due to her race.  That is what some of you seem to get caught on.  Its a factor.     CC was a perfect storm.   And I feel like I have to keep throwing this in cause many seem to not hear it, she's good.  Very good and will probably be great on the pro level, but some of it is timing, some of it is there has been more exposure, and some of it is indeed race.

LOL why in the world would she seem like an underdog?   Is it cause she has "sneaky quickness" is she a "coach on the floor" and "such a hard worker"?

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, d2o said:

First no one said it was solely due to her race.  That is what some of you seem to get caught on.  Its a factor.     CC was a perfect storm.   And I feel like I have to keep throwing this in cause many seem to not hear it, she's good.  Very good and will probably be great on the pro level, but some of it is timing, some of it is there has been more exposure, and some of it is indeed race.

LOL why in the world would she seem like an underdog?   Is it cause she has "sneaky quickness" is she a "coach on the floor" and "such a hard worker"?

She’s small. Her college teams seemed clearly outclassed by scar and lsu talent and size wise.  She reminds me a lot of…gasp….steph curry.   Yes I compared her to a black player.  Oh no!!

For the women's college hoops experts on here (I am admittedly not even a men's hoops expert), who would say is the 12th spot on the Olympic roster?  I know it's not fair, but every single team has their 12th player.  The one that plays only every other game and even then for just 3-5 minutes?  Every competitive team has one from high school to NBA to the Olympics.  Who would it be on this Paris squad?  I'm not gonna compare stats or value add.  I'm just wondering who it would be.?

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

For the women's college hoops experts on here (I am admittedly not even a men's hoops expert), who would say is the 12th spot on the Olympic roster?  I know it's not fair, but every single team has their 12th player.  The one that plays only every other game and even then for just 3-5 minutes?  Every competitive team has one from high school to NBA to the Olympics.  Who would it be on this Paris squad?  I'm not gonna compare stats or value add.  I'm just wondering who it would be.?

Kara Lawson.  She’s too old to be playing. 

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

In general or for Clark’s position? Because for her position, all the guards selected are better and more experienced. That is something every media member regardless of race or gender will tell you. 

However, if Gray can’t go, I expect Clark to be asked to join the team as a backup. 

The crazy part is if you’re Clark, you almost welcome not being selected. She’ll get a month off to rest. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Okay, so age aside.  I'm sure Kara is very skilled and has a rapport with the rest of the team and knows the Olympic style of play.  But from her stat line, it looks like she'll be that "plays every other game for 5 minutes" type.  And that's fine, every squad has one.  I'm not talking about her skill set or merit or any of that.  But again, there is a financial component, particularly with women's sports at the Olympics.  The team basically raises their own budget (aside from lodging, logistics, and security).  That's just how our USOC is set up.

At this point in the summer, the 2024 budget is already locked in and the WNBA season is well under way so in-person appearances/clinics/endorsements are basically done.  My point, from the court aside, is if I have my choice between two players to play mop-up time in Paris.  One brings almost nothing to the table in terms of corporate partnerships and fundraising, just 'veteran' status.  The other can be advertised for the next 4 years as "Olympic Athlete & WNBA All-Star" xyz, and can raise millions and millions of dollars for the 2028 squad in our home country as a former and future Olympic Medalist (despite limited minutes), who do you select for that 12th roster spot?  If the other 11 can handle the opponents, wouldn't it be nice to have the most fully-funded women's Olympic squad in 2028 in the United States in the history of the sport?  

But I forget that Kara has put in her time, and money never plays a role in the Olympics.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

She’s small. Her college teams seemed clearly outclassed by scar and lsu talent and size wise.  She reminds me a lot of…gasp….steph curry.   Yes I compared her to a black player.  Oh no!!

She's 6' tall which is the avg height in the W

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

In general or for Clark’s position? Because for her position, all the guards selected are better and more experienced. That is something every media member regardless of race or gender will tell you. 

However, if Gray can’t go, I expect Clark to be asked to join the team as a backup. 

The crazy part is if you’re Clark, you almost welcome not being selected. She’ll get a month off to rest. 

I don't really follow this shit, but is a 41 year old Diana Taurasi really better than Clark is right now?

Taurasi is averaging 17.0, 4.4 and 3.9. Clark is averaging 16.8, 5.3, and 6.3, and doing it while being hounded from the second she leaves the locker room.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't really follow this shit, but is a 41 year old Diana Taurasi really better than Clark is right now?

Taurasi is averaging 17.0, 4.4 and 3.9. Clark is averaging 16.8, 5.3, and 6.3, and doing it while being hounded from the second she leaves the locker room.

Numbers are pretty close overall.  Slight edge in the advanced numbers for DT.  Biggest difference is CC has 5.6 TOs/gm vs 1.5 for DT.   

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Multiple people, including myself, have said while Taurasi has the experience you could make an argument she shouldn’t be on the team for others. The problem here is that if Taurasi isn’t on the team, it wouldn’t be Clark who is “next up” rather it would be Arika. Clark would still be a backup. 

Clark does lead the league in turnovers, the only category she leads the league in.

Just now, Pancho said:

Multiple people, including myself, have said while Taurasi has the experience you could make an argument she shouldn’t be on the team for others. The problem here is that if Taurasi isn’t on the team, it wouldn’t be Clark who is “next up” rather it would be Arika. Clark would still be a backup. 

Yep!  Arike should have been there.  She is the bigger snub.  She's 2nd in the league in scoring currently at 26ppg with 4 rebs and 5 asts

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The problem here is that if Taurasi isn’t on the team, it wouldn’t be Clark who is “next up” rather it would be Arika. 

With Chelsea Gray's injury, is Caitlin a viable replacement position-wise ???

Would give way more exposure this way, quietly.   Over her playing 3-5 min/gm and everyone whining about why she isn't playing more.

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

With Chelsea Gray's injury, is Caitlin a viable replacement position-wise ???

Yes, but Gray is scheduled to be back any day now.

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

Would give way more exposure this way, quietly.   Over her playing 3-5 min/gm and everyone whining about why she isn't playing more.

I'm trying to understand your point here.

Are you saying Caitlin needs to talk up the players more that made Team USA over her???

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm trying to understand your point here.

Are you saying Caitlin needs to talk up the players more that made Team USA over her???

Yeah, is she supposed to have animosity toward them?    Is she supposed to hate the whole Olympic team?   Wouldn't that be "petty" and show "jealousy" 

It would be a very good way to aid the "growth of the sport" that so many CC fans claim to want.   And honestly it would give the fans way more of her than a few mins of play in garbage time.   I mean she is "famous for being famous" and "beyond basketball" now right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

I think it would be better publicity for WNBA if Caitlin was on Team USA regardless of her playing time.  

It would better pub to just let her play 30 min/gm too.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah, is she supposed to have animosity toward them?    Is she supposed to hate the whole Olympic team?   Wouldn't that be "petty" and show "jealousy" 

It would be a very good way to aid the "growth of the sport" that so many CC fans claim to want.   And honestly it would give the fans way more of her than a few mins of play in garbage time.   I mean she is "famous for being famous" and "beyond basketball" now right?

This seems like enough talk about Team USA

If you read between the lines from that Brennan interview with Eisen it's clear the reason she was left off the team was NOT because she wasn't good enough to be on the team. 

It's because the veterans didn't want a bench warmer to get all the attention they thought should be going to them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Well and she didn’t go to the tryout which is where the team is chosen. sure, there’s always exceptions to the rule…

But to blame it on veterans getting mad at not getting the attention Clark would get just as a benchwarmer isn’t what Brennan was saying. 

15 minutes ago, The Dog said:

If you read between the lines from that Brennan interview with Eisen it's clear the reason she was left off the team was NOT because she wasn't good enough to be on the team. 

It's because the veterans didn't want a bench warmer to get all the attention they thought should be going to them.

Wait, wait, wait, I was told not wanting distractions was a good enough reason to not have a player on a team.   Its now not?

There isnt one player under 26 on the roster currently. FYI

42 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Yeah obvious jelly bitches are jelly. Sad really at a time when they should be doing all they can to help grow their league with the help Caitlin is bringing in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, d2o said:

Wait, wait, wait, I was told not wanting distractions was a good enough reason to not have a player on a team.   Its now not?

the only reason she’s a potential distraction is because she alone is more important and socially relevant than the rest of the team combined, x a million. those same women have been loudly begging for people to pay attention to their sport for years. now that it’s happening on terms they didn’t agree to, it’s suddenly a distraction.

you know what wouldn’t be a distraction? the rest of the team/league embracing caitlin clark and the attention that comes with her, attention they’ve been dying to have. why can't they select CC over the injured girl and have diana turasi put her arm around CC and mentor her during the olympics? why can’t the rest of the team say to her, “you’re the future, but you’ve got a lot to learn. this time around we’re going to show you how it’s done; next time around it’s your turn.” what a great thing that would be for those women, for the team, and for the league. why can’t we do that? 

oh yeah, that’s right: women. be. petty. women be petty. they don’t want female empowerment, they want personal attention, and fame, and money, and since none of these these women can get these things on their own merit, they have to hate the one player who can. it’s is that simple. people who defend the wnba and its players will bend over backwards to make a million excuses, but it really is just that simple.

Edited by definitely not derka
  • Hook 'Em 4