Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Great game.   25/16 for Angel. 17/13 for CC

I wouldn't call it "great".   Lots and lots of badly missed shots including way too many lay ups.

But it was entertaining in the sense that it came down to the very end.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Why do you care?

because i’ve been blamed for the failures of the wnba by its players. stop asking these questions when you already know the answer. specifically, that none of us ever did care about the league, but at a certain juncture we reached a tipping point on wnba players demanding that men pay more attention, give them more money, give them more respect, etc. we finally started paying attention, and it turned out that both the women and the on-court product were even shittier than we had imagined. now we’re here and we’re interested. be careful what you wish for. don’t beg for attention if tour product sucks and your most notable players are hypocritical, self important dick heads.

11 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Respect. That is one helluva dish. Even Jokic would take note of that one.

She had another one earlier that just bounced off her wide open teammate's hands and out of bounds.

• Rage+1 1

if there’s another player in the entire league who’s a better passer than clark i would be seriously impressed, and would love to see her highlights. cc will go down as one of the all time great passers in the history of the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

the craziest part of this entire thing by far is that cc’s own teammates and coaches seem to hate her just as much as angel reese and chennedy carter. they don’t have her back when she gets roughed up, they freeze her out, they ignore her down the stretch of close games…the entire thing is just baffling.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Watching her shoot 3s from any distance doesn’t do much for me, but this stuff she does is gorgeous.  Post these. 

These two in a row (if the timecode works) are Chelsea Gray and Courtney Vandersloot, both of them are great passers.

Alyssa Thomas (#25 Connecticut in the thumbnail) is a forward who does a lot of awesome passing from the top of the key.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Watching her shoot 3s from any distance doesn’t do much for me, but this stuff she does is gorgeous.  Post these. 

That was an absolutely phenomenal pass given the distance and trajectory of the teammate.  And I get that they don't always make their layups, but to get a pass the pretty and then somehow, beyond the immutable laws of physics, doink it off the BOTTOM of the backboard.  Well, that's really something.  And yeah, her teammates seemed to have started out having her back but are now being shitty towards her, it seems.  there really isn't much left for this league to fuck up.  

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I wouldn't call it "great".   Lots and lots of badly missed shots including way too many lay ups.

But it was entertaining in the sense that it came down to the very end.

I mean, it was a good game for two sub .500 clubs in the WNBA where every play is below the rim.  Expectation wise, it was a good game.

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Women really have a huge problem with spatial recognition and body dexterity and coordination.  It's like a pass from 25 feet or longer is like a fly ball to center field going 425 feet in the sun.  It's sort of stunning.

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Coaching malpractice 

And then you wonder why an Olympic coach who has 10 other better players wouldn't necessarily want Clark riding the pine vs Australia.

2 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

the craziest part of this entire thing by far is that cc’s own teammates and coaches seem to hate her just as much as angel reese and chennedy carter. they don’t have her back when she gets roughed up, they freeze her out, they ignore her down the stretch of close games…the entire thing is just baffling.

Hmmm..... that is kind of interesting.  So her opponents don't like her and now you're saying her own teammates don't like her?  Weird.  What's the constant in these equations?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

britain's next top model GIF by Lifetime Telly

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I dunno if it was selective editing but saw a cut of her heading to bench during a TV stoppage.  Her entire squad and all coaches just iced her out.  

I get there are grudges on teams.  We’ve all been thru ‘em in high school and college.  And I realize pro is different, but she’s actually a net asset to their pro bottom line.  This is just baffling.  They’re a few games away from refusing to play to protest her existence in the league.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Caitlin Clark on if she wished she would have taken more shots late: “I mean, sure, you can wish it. I’m sure there was an opportunity or two for me to probably attempt another shot there at the end, but I trust my teammates… I’m gonna give them the ball every time.”

Seems to me that Clark is passing up shots to get her teammates involved. For this young team growing the whole group may be more important than hero-balling them to a win.

Boston is getting better and better and you can directly tie that to Clark feeding Aliyah the ball at her favorite spots.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

you're saying her own teammates don't like her? 

This may be true but I don't see it in the interviews. Mitchell and her seem tight.

"On Wednesday, the Fever secured an 88-81 victory over the Washington Mystics. Following the game, Clark faced the media, who questioned her about improving her “off-target passes” moving forward. Before she could respond, Aliyah Boston intervened to defend her teammate.
“It’s okay. It’s alright. It’s alright,” Clark’s teammate said to her. “Don’t worry, because you look at Caitlin and you look at the way she passes the ball and so sometimes things are going to happen that way and that’s okay because we’re not going to let her hang her head.
“We’re not going to hang our head off of any missed passes because we’re still continuing to gel together and we know that she’s a great passer, so if she thinks she can get that ball there, she’s going to throw it. And if I miss it, then it’s we’re good. We’re alright. Don’t worry. We’re good.”

cc1.jpg

cc2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

cc will go down as one of the all time great passers in the history of the game.

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.  I don't want to turn this into "who are the best passers ever," but Ms. Clark ain't in the conversation.

Isn't enough to say "that was an awesome pass followed by an awesome doink off the bottom of the backboard?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.  I don't want to turn this into "who are the best passers ever," but Ms. Clark ain't in the conversation.

Isn't enough to say "that was an awesome pass followed by an awesome doink off the bottom of the backboard?"

she’s the best female passer i’ve ever seen and is already the best passer in the league. she led the ncaa in assists and is going to do the same in the wnba. she’s absolutely one of the best women’s passers of all time right now. her cementing that status is legitimately just a matter of time.

11 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

is already the best passer in the league.

She has the vision and skills to be the best passer, but the "best passer" can't also be leading the league in turnovers.

But......a good number of those TO are due to the teammates not fielding a catchable ball so maybe so.

I've always liked Chelsea Gray on the Aces (and the Olympic Roster) as well:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, definitely not derka said:

she’s the best female passer i’ve ever seen and is already the best passer in the league. she led the ncaa in assists and is going to do the same in the wnba. she’s absolutely one of the best women’s passers of all time right now. her cementing that status is legitimately just a matter of time.

Its cracks me up.  She  is the all-time scoring leader AND all-time assists leader  for womens college hoops, and some people reply with "she's OK, she looks like she may have some talent, lets see how it translates." Like all these broads didnt also play in college. 

Edit - make that 3rd all-time in assists, not  sure why  I  thought she was the leader. 

Edited by Blotto

39 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

She has the vision and skills to be the best passer, but the "best passer" can't also be leading the league in turnovers.

Of course, you can... all she can do is put the ball on the money, she can't catch it for them.

Either way, why do these passes look like they are in slow motion?  I keep expecting them to get picked off.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Nash, Lebron, Harden, Luka, etc would all disagree with you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Its cracks me up.  She  is the all-time scoring leader AND all-time assists leader  for womens college hoops, and some people reply with "she's OK, she looks like she may have some talent, lets see how it translates." Like all these broads didnt also play in college. 

Edit - make that 3rd all-time in assists, not  sure why  I  thought she was the leader. 

Yes all "those broads" played in college.   Some were  even the leading scorers before CC.  College isnt the same as the pros.   If you look at the top scorers list in WCBB it is players who were not #1 scorers in the pros.  Very good but not great.     So yes, we do have to see how it translates.  

• Hook 'Em 2

you’re really arguing that we can’t already tell that CC is an elite, all-time great passer? did you say the same thing about Magic in 1980? again, it’s hilarious that you’ve accused everyone else in here of being too biased to be objective.

5 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

“Don’t worry, because you look at Caitlin and you look at the way she passes the ball and so sometimes things are going to happen that way..."

Charlie Strong vibes.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

you’re really arguing that we can’t already tell that CC is an elite, all-time great passer? did you say the same thing about Magic in 1980? again, it’s hilarious that you’ve accused everyone else in here of being too biased to be objective.

too early to tell, man.... we gotta let the season play out. 

image.png.6e6e5f9c45993f3d939eaeb17d2880ff.png

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If her teammates could field her passes she'd have more.

Or shoot their layups so that the ball goes through the hoop from the top, rather than the bottom. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Yes all "those broads" played in college.   Some were  even the leading scorers before CC.  College isnt the same as the pros.   If you look at the top scorers list in WCBB it is players who were not #1 scorers in the pros.  Very good but not great.     So yes, we do have to see how it translates.  

Caitlin Clark played her last college game about 3 months ago. Thinking, "Hmm, let's wait and see what she does for a while before we say she's literally the #1 greatest pro of all time at <x> or <y>" is a sensible thing.

If you look at the NCAA men's assist leaders, either totals or per-game, it's not a list of the NBA's best assist men. It's mostly guys no one remembers or even heard of in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"Hmm, let's wait and see what she does for a while before we say she's literally the #1 greatest pro of all time at <x> or <y>"

wake me up when someone here says that. then you might have a point. until then you and your cadre are just continuing to tilt at windmills simply because you don’t like the opinions of others.

Edited by definitely not derka

11 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

This may be true but I don't see it in the interviews. Mitchell and her seem tight.

"On Wednesday, the Fever secured an 88-81 victory over the Washington Mystics. Following the game, Clark faced the media, who questioned her about improving her “off-target passes” moving forward. Before she could respond, Aliyah Boston intervened to defend her teammate.
“It’s okay. It’s alright. It’s alright,” Clark’s teammate said to her. “Don’t worry, because you look at Caitlin and you look at the way she passes the ball and so sometimes things are going to happen that way and that’s okay because we’re not going to let her hang her head.
“We’re not going to hang our head off of any missed passes because we’re still continuing to gel together and we know that she’s a great passer, so if she thinks she can get that ball there, she’s going to throw it. And if I miss it, then it’s we’re good. We’re alright. Don’t worry. We’re good.”

cc1.jpg

cc2.jpg

FTR, I don't think her teammates dislike her either.... but folks can't have it both ways.  He team hates her so they don't pass her the ball intentionally and sabotage themselves to the point of losing.  And the reason is always..... jealousy!!!!  Silliness.  These are professionals.  Maybe some of that goes on to a degree but her coaches and teammates seem to like or enjoy her fine.  She's a wondeful passer.  I'd want to play with someone who passes like she does.

10 hours ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Fever need a new coach, their coach is hot gargabe.

For whatever the reasons (I think there are several), I don't think she lasts.  I admit I don't follow the WNBA coaching carousel so not sure how she's thought of, but I will say while the pace is decent, the WNBA plays an old style of basketball.  Very 90's and aughts.  Maybe they need their MDA to come in and reimagine the game a bit.  Seems like Clark could play an even higher pace.  Another thing about Clark.  She has great instincts so I expect her to become much better stealing the ball.  The women play really loose with the ball.  Men do to it seems.  That said, she should be playing Euroball when it comes to screening.  She moves like 5 feet every time.  Good for effort but bad for execution.

9 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Of course, you can... all she can do is put the ball on the money, she can't catch it for them.

Either way, why do these passes look like they are in slow motion?  I keep expecting them to get picked off.

She's a fantastic passer and her instincts are elite.  But, she is loose with her fundamentals (boring!!!).  She gets way too many passes into the post or off PNR which are deflected or stolen.  She doesn't get great angles when trying to pass in the post.  She needs more bounce passes into the post and for pick and pop off screens.  She'll learn, but right now a lot of the turnovers are on her.  Yes, she's a PG so having a high amount of time with the ball in her hands will add to turnovers, as will her teammates not being used to playing with her (Magic had this issue) and fumbling too many passes, but I'm betting in the tape room, they talk to her about angles, more bounce passes, creating space or passing lanes with leverage to reduce TO's.  Still has spectacular vision.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

watch out CC, the next big thing is already here:

I would coach a WNBA team with this "athlete."  

Ok ladies, we're going to learn a new offense.  Players 1-4, you get the ball up the court, I don't really give a shit who, how, whatever, just get the ball up the court.

Then, early in the shot clock, I want you to feed it Zhang.

Zhang, don't dribble, don't pass, don't travel, don't smile at the cameras or wave at mom - just pivot until you see the rim and put up a shot.  if you miss, get the rebound.  Then, don't dribble, don't pass, don't travel, don't smile at the cameras or wave at mom - just pivot until you see the rim and put up a shot.

Any questions? 

watch out CC, the next big thing is already here:

Remember when Yao Ming joined the Rockets? 

"Back in 2007, when Yao Ming played his first NBA game with the Houston Rockets, more than 200 million people in China were watching. Today, over 500 million people in China watch NBA basketball."

If Ms. Ziyu showed up adding to Clark's numbers the WNBA might need a bigger boat.