Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

No one seems to have a problem with Jokic or Luka being a couple of the most popular players in the mostly black NBA though. They’re widely embraced on social media and not particularly targeted for hard fouls by opponents during games. NFL is mostly black as well, and also has white superstars. Not sure what gives in the WNBA.

Womens.

Actually they didn't come into the NBA as rookies and garnered far more attention and outside contracts than the all star vets already there. The WNBA exploded when Clark showed up, not so when Luka joined the league.

The black women looked around and wondered why was Caitlin getting all this attention and they didn't. Certainly understandable.

I think they are slowly coming around to the massive benefits of the Clark effect.

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

No one seems to have a problem with Jokic or Luka being a couple of the most popular players in the mostly black NBA though. They’re widely embraced on social media and not particularly targeted for hard fouls by opponents during games. NFL is mostly black as well, and also has white superstars. Not sure what gives in the WNBA.

Nobody has come out and said it but Kendrick Perkins pushed Embiid for MVP big time.  I think he and Shaq called Jokic a stat padder.  

33 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They aren't competing against a bunch of entitled, petty women. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Nobody has come out and said it but Kendrick Perkins pushed Embiid for MVP big time.  I think he and Shaq called Jokic a stat padder.  

besides the fact there’s a very obvious answer as to why the men get along better than the women do, i will say that black players in the nba 100% do not give jokic even a fraction of the respect he deserves. from picking him last at the all star game (yeah let’s take the most selfless player/best passer in the league and pick him last 🙄), to the countless hours of nba videos, podcasts and interviews i’ve seen where nba players, when talking about the best players in the league, will name 5-6 guys, including guys like jayson lukewarm tatum, without ever naming jokic. it’s either wildly petty or these players are terrible at judging talent.  actually it’s probably both.

Edited by Derka

19 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Holy fuck. The Clark effect is for reals.

The NIL era really helped escalate CC's popularity and career in college basketball.

And of course now the WNBA is benefiting with more exposure due to CC playing in their league this season.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Have you never seen a group of girls decide they don’t like another girl?

It will be interesting to see if these players bitching about CC now change their tunes (and how) when their personal contracts come up for negotiation.  If the CC era truly is here to stay and the revenue moves into a higher level, you know those players who have "given their all to keep the league going" will want their piece of the expanded pie.  And that is fine, but will they give CC her due? Do they recognize that Caitlyn brings something new and fresh to the league that people have been needing, and in turn they try to cultivate more of whatever it is that's driving this groundswell change?  Or do they try to get those fans to accept the old W, brushing this off as some flash in the pan?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Have you never seen a group of girls decide they don’t like another girl?

If these ladies were upset at a "pretty" white girl stealing the spotlight (and I use that term loosely for the WNBA) this season, I can't wait to see what happens when Paige Bueckers is the #1 pick in the draft next year.  

Heads will explode.

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

If these ladies were upset at a "pretty" white girl stealing the spotlight (and I use that term loosely for the WNBA) this season, I can't wait to see what happens when Paige Bueckers is the #1 pick in the draft next year.  

Heads will explode.

Nobody cares about Paige bickers 

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Heads will explode.

Paige bows to the black players though. So they’ll be more accepting.  Wait until that Duke freshmen is in the league, she can actually dunk. It’s wild. 

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wait until that Duke freshmen is in the league, she can actually dunk. It’s wild. 

For all you WNBA haters.

Watching a game the other day and someone throws up a wedgie. The center for Dallas tried to get it down but nope, couldn't quite pull it off.

They went and got a broom.

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"McNutt" is the perfect description of her above take... geez 🙄

What's that take?  Moronic?  What a fucking stupid justification.  She should be getting crushed as it's an opinion or reasoning for children.  I expect better from her and she should be hearing it from all sides.  There's a case for Reese, but this isn't it.

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2024 at 7:41 AM, pyrohornIII said:

It will be interesting to see if these players bitching about CC now change their tunes (and how) when their personal contracts come up for negotiation.  If the CC era truly is here to stay and the revenue moves into a higher level, you know those players who have "given their all to keep the league going" will want their piece of the expanded pie.  And that is fine, but will they give CC her due? Do they recognize that Caitlyn brings something new and fresh to the league that people have been needing, and in turn they try to cultivate more of whatever it is that's driving this groundswell change?  Or do they try to get those fans to accept the old W, brushing this off as some flash in the pan?  

Change their tune?  I suspect they’ll double down and say Clark is the one benefiting 

if the wnba is serious about getting viewers they’ll set up a caitlin clark vs angel reese game of 1 on 1 at their all star event.

of course the down side of this is how badly angel reese would be exposed, thus ending whatever buzz they had created with the event.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

Screenshot_20240706-151832_kindlephoto-22931785.png.bdc9f16e471290fb73dcc892cc2c80c4.png

Screenshot_20240706-151952_kindlephoto-23038615.png.964c333a953a3b543a5bbb6bfad9a489.png

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Fever got a signature win at Gainbridge Fieldhouse on Saturday afternoon, coming back from 11 points down in the fourth quarter to take down the league-leading New York Liberty, 83-78.

The Fever are now 9-13, while the Liberty are 17-4.

Here are three observations:

Fever get signature win

For over half the season, Indiana has been doing what it needed to do: beating the teams at the bottom of the standings. While the Fever picked up a win against Phoenix, their first against a .500 team, it was still one against a franchise that was in the middle of the pack

On Saturday, 22 games into the season, Indiana got a signature win. The Fever handed New York, currently at the top of the standings, just its fourth loss of the season.

The Fever trailed, 75-68, with just under five minutes left in the game, and roared back with a 11-0 run to take a 79-75 lead. Liberty guard Sabrina Ionescu made a 3-pointer to get within one point, but she missed a potential go-ahead 3-pointer on the next possession. While the Liberty got the offensive rebound, the ball went over the halfcourt line. The Liberty lost possession on an over-and-back call, and free throws sealed the Fever victory.

This is the Fever's first win over one of the top-three teams in the league. Indiana is 0-3 against Connecticut and 0-3 against Las Vegas.

Fast start melts away

In the beginning, it didn't look like the Fever, the eighth-place team in the WNBA, was playing the team at the top of the standings.

Indiana rushed out to a 7-0 lead behind back-to-back No. 1 picks Aliyah Boston and Caitlin Clark, then led 10-1 at the first media timeout. At one point in the first quarter, they led by 12 points, 24-12. The Fever's offense was clicking on all cylinders: Boston and Clark were finding a rhythm and the team had a good pace and vision.

Then, that start slowly melted away.

New York went on a 6-0 run over the end of the first quarter to start cutting into the deficit, and Indiana, with substitutes in the game, suffered a 3:30 stretch where they didn't score in the second quarter. A questionable out-of-bounds call on Kelsey Mitchell at the end of the first half gave New York an extra possession, which resulted in two free throws from Stewart to officially close the gap

Caitlin Clark gets first career triple-double

Caitlin Clark is making more history.

With her 10th rebound in the fourth quarter, Clark officially hit double-figures in all three major categories with 15 points, 10 assists, and 10 rebounds.

The Fever rookie has gotten close to a triple-double before: she finished Indiana's win against Phoenix with 15 points, nine rebounds, and 12 assists, but she couldn't grab the final rebound as she left the game in the final seconds.

This time, she made sure it wasn't left to chance.

Clark got off to a hot start, with 13 points, five rebounds, and seven assists by halftime. She got to the points-assists double-double mark by the end of the third quarter, and only needed three rebounds for a triple-double. She got those in the first four minutes of the first quarter.

It is the first triple-double by a WNBA rookie in league history and the first for the Fever franchise.

Clark had 17 triple-doubles in college, which was second to just Sabrina Ionescu (who was on the other side of the floor on Saturday afternoon). Ionescu did not record a triple-double in her rookie season in the WNBA, but has in subsequent seasons.

How many points did Caitlin Clark score against the New York Liberty?

Clark had 19 points on 7-of-17 shooting on Saturday afternoon, along with 12 rebounds and 13 assists

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alincoln said:

The WNBA is definitely going to blow this opportunity.

Nah. It isn't up to the WNBA, anyway. 

Women's hoops is blowing up. I think it's going to be the biggest thing since UFC became popular. Here's some stuff I texted my dad and brothers a month ago.

I think within 10 years the women's game is going to  challenge the men's game in popularity when it comes to basketball.

I think women's college ball and the WNBA have figured out the audience. Basketball ratings aren't about quality of play or integrity of competition. It's all about personalities and storylines.

And the WNBA has begun testing the sex appeal angle. 

The casual viewer doesn't care about parity or game flow or officiating. 

At the same time - the women can f'ing play now.

I watched a little Sky/Fever at work today. It can be rough but I also saw some absolute buckets. (Granted I already knew that about the WNBA)

Interestingly - I thought the main difference was the decision making and not the individual skill level. 

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The Indiana Fever got a signature win at Gainbridge Fieldhouse on Saturday afternoon, coming back from 11 points down in the fourth quarter to take down the league-leading New York Liberty, 83-78.

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The Fever trailed, 75-68, with just under five minutes left in the game, and roared back with a 11-0 run to take a 79-75 lead.

Huh, so thats how that works. 

Watched a lot of the game yesterday. Seemed like talent wise the liberty play a different level of basketball, but the fever seem to be figuring out they can win games. The WNBA may have too many teams at this point relative to elite talent, but it seems like the talent pool from college is getting deeper every year, so hopefully that solves the problem