Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

What's weird is that there are and have been lots of great white women players in the league. They might even make a majority of the all time top 10. I don't think it's race with Caitlin. I think they are just jealous that she is generating interest on a MJ level and they can't deal with it for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

What's weird is that there are and have been lots of great white women players in the league. They might even make a majority of the all time top 10. I don't think it's race with Caitlin. I think they are just jealous that she is generating interest on a MJ level and they can't deal with it for whatever reason. 

No no no women are just bitches to each other. There's definitely no examples of petty decades-long grievances that you could easily point out among men's sports.

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

If she wasn't white and generating the same amount of interest, would they still be this upset? I have my doubts. 

25 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

No no no women are just bitches to each other. There's definitely no examples of petty decades-long grievances that you could easily point out among men's sports.

I think everyone has hated Bill Laimbeer for the past 40 years. 

35 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Shaq hated on Dwight Howard for yrs among the many players he's hated on over the yrs.   There are plenty of examples of old heads hating new school players.   Its not just a woman thing.   Its a bitch thing.  I can't even dismiss Swoopes' shit as anything else but hating now just like I don't dismiss Shaq's bitchassness as anything but hating.

And yes the MJ/Isiah thing is a prime example of a decades long beef.  

Shit, you don't even have to go that far back to find a comparable example in the NBA. Some of the best players in the league and the old guard were some bitch asses when Steph became the talk of league around 2014. Basically boiling down to getting too much attention without having any real skins on the wall, and a general scoffing at the idea that they were about to change the game. It took until 2022 for him to fully shake the overrated/over-hyped sentiment. While race/class did play some factor (light-skinned rich kid), it was more just pettiness from players--current and retired--about the media and fans giving the new kid, the new generation too much shine.

It's probably more pronounced with Caitlin because she's the middle-America, religious white girl--and brings in some of those fans who wouldn't give the slightest of shits about the WNBA otherwise--but the resentment would still be there if she was a black media darling being hyped up to dominate the league straight out of college.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

but the resentment would still be there if she was a black media darling being hyped up to dominate the league straight out of college.

i don’t think the resentment would be even 5% of what it currently is if cc was the same player but she looked like seimone augustus. there’s been a whole lot of evidence posted in this thread and online that cc being straight, white, and apolitical (up until recently) drew the ire of the rest of the league because she’s not “one of them”.

i think that the most similar nba comp is jokic and how his peers have downplayed his greatness his entire career. aloof foreigner with a unique skill set that nobody else in the league possesses; he’s not “one of them”, and that’s why a largely black, american league has rated guys like tatum, dame, booker, and other absolute jokers ahead of jokic for so long. the difference is, and people don’t want to hear this, the women seriously are 1,000x more petty, catty, and jealous than the men. that’s why jokic shows up 5th on “best player in the nba” lists and gets picked last for the all star team (clear, indefensible hate, but not cases of players going out of their way to hate on him constantly), while the wnba as a collective was like, “fuck this bitch she sucks and she’s taking all our shine.” nobody hates like women do, and women don’t hate anybody like they hate other women.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Derka said:

i don’t think the resentment would be even 5% of what it currently is if cc was the same player but she looked like seimone augustus. there’s been a whole lot of evidence posted in this thread and online that cc being straight, white, and apolitical (up until recently) drew the ire of the rest of the league because she’s not “one of them”.

I'd argue that it's a chicken or the egg thing. CC didn't draw the resentment and ire of the league because she's white, straight, apolitical, and really good at basketball (the WNBA has had plenty of players that mostly fit those descriptors). She drew their resentment because of the media attention and hype that surrounds her...which was amplified, in no small part, because she's the white, religious girl from middle-America.

Let's be real (and you know this), a player who looks like Simone Augustus would have to average 50 points a game to get the same media coverage, transcend sports, and attract the attention of non-sports fans the way Caitlin has, especially in the WNBA. Players understand that and resent her (unfairly) for it. Much like Steph who, as good as he was and is, gets more love because he's the baby-faced guy who mentions God every 5 seconds that he wouldn't get if he looked like Allen Iverson.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

It's combination of a number of things.  It's not just that she's caucasian.  It's she's somewhat pretty (for some folks), girls like Taurisi look like they got run over by the ugly truck.  It's not that she's pretty and white, it's she's straight too.  Oh yea, there's an undercurrent there to a league who is probably much more gay than you think.  Sue Bird was pretty and white but didn't catch heat like this.  But it's not that she's white, pretty, and straight, it's also that she hasn't won anything.  This is the biggest point against her, I think.  She hasn't won anything.  If Jordan hadn't won that NC at UNC as a freshmen, when he was the 4th best player on the team (although had the highest ceiling and most likely just needed experience), can you imagine the backlash he would have gotten when he started to blow up Nike?  Although most likely he doesn't get the Nike contract, still..... no skins on the wall and folks don't care that women's basketball is very vertical and top heavy.  And lastly, she's white, pretty, straight, but no titles.... and she's got a nasty streak when she plays.  She's animated when she plays?  She stares, she talks shit, she whines to the officials, she gestiulates, she rolls her eyes, she's overly dramatic if things aren't going her way.  So, it's she's young, white, pretty, straight, who acts entitled and whines to officlals on the court (off the court, she's is extraordinarily adept at dealing with the media) and has no championships to show for it.  Yet, she's the one getting all the heat?  She's the womens' basketball savior?  She's the WNBA's next Jesus?  So it's multifaceted..... but still extremely shallow.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Shit, you don't even have to go that far back to find a comparable example in the NBA. Some of the best players in the league and the old guard were some bitch asses when Steph became the talk of league around 2014. Basically boiling down to getting too much attention without having any real skins on the wall, and a general scoffing at the idea that they were about to change the game. It took until 2022 for him to fully shake the overrated/over-hyped sentiment. While race/class did play some factor (light-skinned rich kid), it was more just pettiness from players--current and retired--about the media and fans giving the new kid, the new generation too much shine.

It's probably more pronounced with Caitlin because she's the middle-America, religious white girl--and brings in some of those fans who wouldn't give the slightest of shits about the WNBA otherwise--but the resentment would still be there if she was a black media darling being hyped up to dominate the league straight out of college.

I do t think the Steph stuff was racial at all and I don’t remember him getting hammered.  Always pretty admired.  Now some hated on him because they were Bron guys or because of his slight frame and crazy shooting.  He was different.  He wasn’t treated like Clark is

20 hours ago, d2o said:

Shaq hated on Dwight Howard for yrs among the many players he's hated on over the yrs.   There are plenty of examples of old heads hating new school players.   Its not just a woman thing.   Its a bitch thing.  I can't even dismiss Swoopes' shit as anything else but hating now just like I don't dismiss Shaq's bitchassness as anything but hating.

And yes the MJ/Isiah thing is a prime example of a decades long beef.  

Shaq was somewhat threatened by Dwight at one point but Kobe hated Dwight too.  Dwight’s a knucklehead. Speaking of shaq I think he and Perkins both railed against Jokic in mvp talks.  Hmmm

On 9/18/2024 at 2:33 AM, Derka said:

Saw a clip in past that mentioned this...

Screenshot_20240919-064315_kindlephoto-3614869.png.fd5a35ba5d7beeb7f73a64d8a5918e9d.png

During an appearance on Gilbert Arenas' podcast, Swoopes addressed the backlash she received on social media. At one point while she was ranting, the four-time WNBA champion said Black people can't be racist. 

"For people to come at me and say that I made those comments because I’m a racist. First of all, Black people can’t be racist. But that’s the farthest thing from my mind," Swoopes said, via OutKick. "I grew up in a very small West Texas town — predominantly white. My best childhood friend is white. Went to a predominantly white college. Won a national championship [and] pretty much everyone on the team was white. We’re sisters to this day. That’s not a part of my DNA."  

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Saw a clip in past that mentioned this...

Screenshot_20240919-064315_kindlephoto-3614869.png.fd5a35ba5d7beeb7f73a64d8a5918e9d.png

During an appearance on Gilbert Arenas' podcast, Swoopes addressed the backlash she received on social media. At one point while she was ranting, the four-time WNBA champion said Black people can't be racist. 

"For people to come at me and say that I made those comments because I’m a racist. First of all, Black people can’t be racist. But that’s the farthest thing from my mind," Swoopes said, via OutKick. "I grew up in a very small West Texas town — predominantly white. My best childhood friend is white. Went to a predominantly white college. Won a national championship [and] pretty much everyone on the team was white. We’re sisters to this day. That’s not a part of my DNA."  

Ah the ole “I got white friends” line.  

• Haha 2

WNBA star Caitlin Clark will compete in her last regular season game as a rookie when the Indiana Fever face the Washington Mystics at Entertainment & Sports Arena in Washington, D.C. on Thursday night.

When: Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

Where: Entertainment & Sports Arena

Time: 7 p.m.

Live stream: Prime Video

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The shit with Sheryl is just weird how she's trying to create controversy on the Fever by saying players aren't happy. She's literally trying to turn Clark's teammates against her.

Before Clark, when was the last time you thought about Sheryl swoopes.  Like Angela Reese and actually most of the rest of the wnba, Clark is the reason most people think of them respectively 

as for unhappy players, weren’t they the worst team in the league before Clark? 

Edited by closetohumping

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's combination of a number of things.  It's not just that she's caucasian.  It's she's somewhat pretty (for some folks), girls like Taurisi look like they got run over by the ugly truck.  It's not that she's pretty and white, it's she's straight too.  Oh yea, there's an undercurrent there to a league who is probably much more gay than you think.  Sue Bird was pretty and white but didn't catch heat like this.  But it's not that she's white, pretty, and straight, it's also that she hasn't won anything.  This is the biggest point against her, I think.  She hasn't won anything.  If Jordan hadn't won that NC at UNC as a freshmen, when he was the 4th best player on the team (although had the highest ceiling and most likely just needed experience), can you imagine the backlash he would have gotten when he started to blow up Nike?  Although most likely he doesn't get the Nike contract, still..... no skins on the wall and folks don't care that women's basketball is very vertical and top heavy.  And lastly, she's white, pretty, straight, but no titles.... and she's got a nasty streak when she plays.  She's animated when she plays?  She stares, she talks shit, she whines to the officials, she gestiulates, she rolls her eyes, she's overly dramatic if things aren't going her way.  So, it's she's young, white, pretty, straight, who acts entitled and whines to officlals on the court (off the court, she's is extraordinarily adept at dealing with the media) and has no championships to show for it.  Yet, she's the one getting all the heat?  She's the womens' basketball savior?  She's the WNBA's next Jesus?  So it's multifaceted..... but still extremely shallow.

I think the biggest factor is her watchability.

The hype exploded when curious basketball fans tuned in to some of their first women’s basketball content and saw the hype was real.  She looked like a female S Curry.  
Her game was instantly recognizable as different than all others before her for traditional NBA fans, NBA players, and the media etc.

Contrast with those same fans watching an MVP A Williams highlight reel, and while admirable, is as exciting as watching paint dry.  

As for skins on the wall?  I disagree.  She has plenty of college records and two finals appearances with an inferior squad. 

Professionally, not only is she breaking multiple rookie records, she is also breaking all time records and will be taking last year’s worst team to the playoffs in a week.  I don’t feel like a rookie winning a Championship is a reasonable barometer at the moment.  

At this point in the history of the WNBA, if Clark hasn’t earned the hype, is it possible for anyone?

*The Curry doubt was just people thinking his size and crazy shooting were not sustainable in the NBA. They were wrong 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Before Clark, when was the last time you thought about Sheryl swoopes.  Like Angela Reese and actually most of the rest of the wnba, Clark is the reason most people think of them respectively 

as for unhappy players, weren’t they the worst team in the league before Clark? 

3rd worst

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

But it's not that she's white, pretty, and straight, it's also that she hasn't won anything.

that’s the thing about women’s basketball. “winning something” just means “went to uconn” 90% of the time. i saw an interview with breanna stewart where she was asked, “can you be a great player if you’ve never won a title?”, and she said, “no.” this is the same breanna stewart who won four titles at uconn. here’s a list of not-great players during stewart’s time at uconn:

a’ja wilson

kelsey plum

odyssey sims

elena della donne

skylar diggins

brittney griner

chiney ogwumike 

and a number of other girls who are probably great who i’m just not familiar with. winning in women’s basketball not remotely close to winning in men’s basketball, or really most any other sport. there’s always 1-3 teams that have any chance to win, in a league that’s 1/3 the size of a normal pro league to begin with. women’s basketball titles are the least earned titles of any professional sport on earth. 

29 minutes ago, Derka said:

that’s the thing about women’s basketball. “winning something” just means “went to uconn” 90% of the time. i saw an interview with breanna stewart where she was asked, “can you be a great player if you’ve never won a title?”, and she said, “no.” this is the same breanna stewart who won four titles at uconn. here’s a list of not-great players during stewart’s time at uconn:

a’ja wilson

kelsey plum

odyssey sims

elena della donne

skylar diggins

brittney griner

chiney ogwumike 

and a number of other girls who are probably great who i’m just not familiar with. winning in women’s basketball not remotely close to winning in men’s basketball, or really most any other sport. there’s always 1-3 teams that have any chance to win, in a league that’s 1/3 the size of a normal pro league to begin with. women’s basketball titles are the least earned titles of any professional sport on earth. 

Not disagreeing with your basic premise, but didn't griner win a title?