Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

7 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

It's going to be funny when the Fever get bounced out of the playoffs Wednesday and then the WNBA viewerships drops 50%+ for the rest of the playoffs.  The haters will be out in force.

Wonder if the Fever can bring in some more help for CC in the off season?  She's transcendent but even Steph can't carry the Warriors alone.  She's also over reliant on the 3-ball and needs to be more of a driving threat to really get to GOAT mode.

They actually have a decent little roster. Boston is very good and will get better. Mitchell is in her prime. 

Just need to keep the girls together and let CC develop. She's far from a finished product and still makes a couple bad decisions per quarter most nights. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

Radio guys here local seem to be in agreement that the Fever have the worst GM in sports and the HC isn't far behind.  I won't pretend to know any better or any different. 

No offense but I'm guessing I have a more objective and reasonable take than two dipshits on morning radio in Indiana that just started watching women's ball this season. It's possible their take is more informed.

Either way the sample size isn't big enough yet. They just had a huge turnaround from the previous season and CC was a rookie. They have never struck me as poorly coached and they've been able to put two other all-star caliber players around CC, but I'm not going to pretend they're the 2010s Patriots or anything. 

Like I said - CC has a long way to go. Which should terrify other teams. She ain't gonna need much help. Especially if the WNBA keeps adding teams. Just get her a couple big girls and some 3 and Ds and let her cook LeBron style.

Edited by ztejas

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No offense but I'm guessing I have a more objective and reasonable take than two dipshits on morning radio in Indiana that just started watching women's ball this season. It's possible their take is more informed.

Either way the sample size isn't big enough yet. They just had a huge turnaround from the previous season and CC was a rookie. They have never struck me as poorly coached and they've been able to put two other all-star caliber players around CC, but I'm not going to pretend they're the 2010s Patriots or anything. 

Like I said - CC has a long way to go. Which should terrify other teams. She ain't gonna need much help. Especially if the WNBA keeps adding teams. Just get her a couple big girls and some 3 and Ds and let her cook LeBron style.

They had one of, if not the best record, after the Olympic break.   They found their groove and those same guys that many talking heads swore sucked in the first half of the season were balling.   Mitchell played All-WNBA ball, Hull shot the lights out and Boston got back to her rookie all star form.   They already have a "big 3" and dont need to make some huge move unless it just falls into their lap.   Just continue growing the chemistry they have and each of them growing individually.

• Hook 'Em 3

I think that the GM comment stems from the fact that the Fever have been dogshit for the last 8 years and keep a pattern of doing the same thing in trying to fix the problem. GM gets no credit for CC - she fell into the Fever's lap.  

Radio guys here know their stuff.  It's Indiana, it's basketball, and it's the local pro women's team @ztejas, to be fair they are more informed than most people who report on the WNBA. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

Radio guys here know their stuff.  It's Indiana, it's basketball, and it's the local pro women's team @ztejas, to be fair they are more informed than most people who report on the WNBA. 

That's fair that it's Indiana. Different vibe up there. I just automatically assume local FM radio guys these days are idiots. And I would also contend that no one - even in Indiana - gave a shit about the team before Clark got drafted. 

GMs and coaches luck into shit all the time. I'm not in the loop behind the scenes but from what I've seen they will have a competitive roster for the foreseeable future and their HC doesn't seem to be any worse than average at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The guys I listen to have always reported on the Fever even when they suck, but you're correct - no one gave a shit.  They just did it because it was worth one weekly segment and the one radio guy I know the best has been dating Donnie Walsh's daughter for the better part of 20 years.  He used to have some leadership/management role with the Fever in addition to his Pacers roles.

Hell, someone offered me playoff tickets the year the Fever won the title - 2012.  I declined to go because I didn't feel like shifting around track practice.

9 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

The guys I listen to have always reported on the Fever even when they suck, but you're correct - no one gave a shit.  They just did it because it was worth one weekly segment and the one radio guy I know the best has been dating Donnie Walsh's daughter for the better part of 20 years.  He used to have some leadership/management role with the Fever in addition to his Pacers roles.

Then I will concede that they are better informed and more plugged into the situation than I. I may or may not concede that their overall hoop knowledge outdoes mine. 

I'd still retort that I am less emotionally invested (although I'm totally a bandwagon Fever fan already) and as such less likely to bitch about the front office and head coach on morning radio. I mean, it's kind of their fucking job to do shit like that. 

Just like someone can have a more reasonable take about SMU football who is simply a well-researched college football fan looking at the situation without blinders and not an alumnus like me who is looking to get mad and complain about every little bullshit detail that isn't going right every week. 

Regardless, what me and @d2o have opined is close to a fact. They have a nice little stable going and CC is only going to get better. Very bright and fun days for the Fever ahead. If I'm their FO I'm studying LeBron's first Cleveland stint and learning from that FO's mistakes. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

That's fair that it's Indiana. Different vibe up there. I just automatically assume local FM radio guys these days are idiots. And I would also contend that no one - even in Indiana - gave a shit about the team before Clark got drafted. 

GMs and coaches luck into shit all the time. I'm not in the loop behind the scenes but from what I've seen they will have a competitive roster for the foreseeable future and their HC doesn't seem to be any worse than average at least. 

Like lucking into Caitlin Clark?  Isn't this essentially the same team as last year, with Clark?  Not gonna lie, I could be wrong.  Were Mitchell and boston on the team last year?

11 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Like lucking into Caitlin Clark?  Isn't this essentially the same team as last year, with Clark?  Not gonna lie, I could be wrong.  Were Mitchell and boston on the team last year?

Yes, Mitchell and Boston were on the team last yr and were all-stars.  Mitchell is a career 17ppg scorer.  Boston was the 1st overall pick in 2023 and avg'd 14/9 last yr.  Nalyssa Smith was the 2nd overall pick in 2022 and avg'd 15/9 last season.  That's why all the talk about how much the rest of CC's team sucked in the early part of the season was bullshit.    They just needed time to build chemistry.

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Yes, Mitchell and Boston were on the team last yr and were all-stars.  Mitchell is a career 17ppg scorer.  Boston was the 1st overall pick in 2023 and avg'd 14/9 last yr.  Nalyssa Smith was the 2nd overall pick in 2022 and avg'd 15/9 last season.  That's why all the talk about how much the rest of CC's team sucked in the early part of the season was bullshit.    They just needed time to build chemistry.

I still think they need a new coach....

tuned in a couple minutes ago. exciting game action. but still- cc is the only player i’m watching who looks like a coordinated athlete with actual skill. the iq and skill level is so, so bad. for example:

i mean what the hell is even that? how are you trying to dribble there? how are you a grown, adult, professional at the absolute peak of your field and you’re making mental blunders that an elementary school kid shouldn’t even be making? every time i tune in to this sport it just reinforced what a lie it is whenever wnba fans claim that the on-court product is great, and not comically, pathetically weak and embarrassing.

Edited by Derka
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Alyssa Thomas has been phenomenal on both ends all night. Sorry you can't be assed to actually watch a full game and do nothing but hate. 

yeah, i’m not going to tune in to watch a full game between slow, unathletic, uncoordinated women who would get smashed by any random boys JV team. the skill and athleticism in this league is embarrassing.

and right on cue indiana throws an inbound pass over everyone’s heads and into the stands.

last two possessions for indiana cc doesn’t touch the ball, and her teammates 1)throw an inbound pass over everyone’s head and out of bounds, and then 2)going full fred brown and just passing the ball to the other team for a fast break. these are not serious athletes, and this is a make-a-wish league.

3 minutes ago, Derka said:

yeah, i’m not going to tune in to watch a full game between slow, unathletic, uncoordinated women who would get smashed by any random boys JV team. the skill and athleticism in this league is embarrassing.

and right on cue indiana throws an inbound pass over everyone’s heads and into the stands.

1 minute ago, Derka said:

last two possessions for indiana cc doesn’t touch the ball, and her teammates 1)throw an inbound pass over everyone’s head and out of bounds, and then 2)going full fred brown and just passing the ball to the other team for a fast break. these are not serious athletes, and this is a make-a-wish league.

Dude no one gives a fuck about your exhausting, bigoted opinion and no one is forcing you to watch. I'd like to see you get out there and can a 27 foot triple with 50 seconds left to go up 4 in front of 12k people. 

I watch plenty of less interesting NBA playoff games than this every year. Yeah the W gets a little sloppy but that doesn't mean there aren't some seriously talented ladies out there and that it isn't an entertaining product. 

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

LOL these last few shots for Indiana have all been by the scrubs and none have touched the rim

They're also exhausted. Connecticut is bigger, more physical and more experienced.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Dude no one gives a fuck about your exhausting, bigoted opinion and no one is forcing you to watch. I'd like to see you get out there and can a 27 foot triple with 50 seconds left to go up 4 in front of 12k people. 

I watch plenty of less interesting NBA playoff games than this every year. Yeah the W gets a little sloppy but that doesn't mean there aren't some seriously talented ladies out there and that it isn't an entertaining product. 

They're also exhausted. Connecticut is bigger, more physical and more experienced.

“bigoted” opinion? lol ok. weren’t you just advocating for this thread to be merged with the other thread? and didn’t i tell you that was a bad idea since this thread’s second purpose is hating on the wnba? now here you are in here crying because people are hating on this shitty make-a-wish league. i don’t think you could handle these threads being merged.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

as if wnba players aren’t constantly hurling up airballs at all points of the game. angel reese gets 3-4 airballs from three feet out every 1Q of every game she plays. and she got mvp votes.