Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

15 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

true, also fair to say at least a 1/3 of those turnovers attributed to her are caused by her teammates 

I don’t know that it’s fair to say that because I haven’t seen every TO committed. I wouldn’t just assume that 1/3rd of them are from her teammates either. It could be all Clark as she adapts to the league combined with the fact that she hasn’t had a break really. All of those TOs could be just straight up on her.

I don’t suspect she’ll be #1 in this category at the end of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Its kinda the inverse USMNT dilemma. Most hardcore fans and online dudes agree that USMNT should take the best team no matter what, and ignore promoting the domestic league MLS. 

Then in this situation you have people arguing that promoting the WNBA should be the top priority of the US Women's National Basketball Team.

Odd dichotomy 

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I don’t know that it’s fair to say that because I haven’t seen every TO committed. I wouldn’t just assume that 1/3rd of them are from her teammates either. It could be all Clark as she adapts to the league combined with the fact that she hasn’t had a break really. All of those TOs could be just straight up on her.

I don’t suspect she’ll be #1 in this category at the end of the season. 

Fair. Ive only see a few quarters live, and the lowlight videos posted in this thread and others of her teammates struggling to deal with passes etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/2/2024 at 1:13 PM, pyrohornIII said:

Lil' Dribblers starting kids so young on regulation size courts, even with lowered baskets messes with their mechanics, I think.  Having to heave the ball from the free throw line at 8 or 10 is a lot different than at 16 and up.  Looks to me like her shot is a mixture of that young heave and adaption as she grew up.

i’m thinking that her bank account is good either way

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Agree to disagree.  I don't think it's the committee's job to worry about TV ratings... that's the network's job.

The committee should focus on putting the best team on the floor.  As much as I think Caitlin is great for women's sports, and basketball in particular, I don't think she's one of the 12 best women's basketball players in the US yet.  

Check back in 4 years.

Oh, how I hope Clark has enough sway to flex in four years and tell them who she wants with her on the team and who she doesn’t 

On 6/10/2024 at 2:52 PM, YGIFS said:

For the women's college hoops experts on here (I am admittedly not even a men's hoops expert), who would say is the 12th spot on the Olympic roster?  I know it's not fair, but every single team has their 12th player.  The one that plays only every other game and even then for just 3-5 minutes?  Every competitive team has one from high school to NBA to the Olympics.  Who would it be on this Paris squad?  I'm not gonna compare stats or value add.  I'm just wondering who it would be.?

Someone will say, but arguably the best PG in the WNBA was Chelsea Gray.  She is hurt with a foot injury and may not be able to play.  This could be Clark's invitation to take but the issue is Arike Agunbolawe who plays guard and for the Dallas Wings is better than Clark and she didn't make it at guard.

On 6/10/2024 at 4:19 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't really follow this shit, but is a 41 year old Diana Taurasi really better than Clark is right now?

Taurasi is averaging 17.0, 4.4 and 3.9. Clark is averaging 16.8, 5.3, and 6.3, and doing it while being hounded from the second she leaves the locker room.

Mitch.... c'mon.  You're better than this.  First, Taurasi is an all-time great for the WNBA, basically like the Lebron or Kobe or Bird of the league.  If she wants to go, she goes.  Second, now look at the metrics that matter.... You know them.  PER, WS, WS/48, TS% and while you're at it, look at that TOV%.  Oh wow.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Caitlin Clark is the first player in WNBA history with 200 points and 75 assists in her first 12 career games  

Choosing Griner over Clark is the biggest head scratcher. She hasn’t even played this season and has off the court baggage (domestic assault, heading to Russia after the Ukrain invasion ) etc. 

34 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Caitlin Clark is the first player in WNBA history with 200 points and 75 assists in her first 12 career games  

Choosing Griner over Clark is the biggest head scratcher. She hasn’t even played this season and has off the court baggage (domestic assault, heading to Russia after the Ukrain invasion ) etc. 

I don't know enough to say whether or not Griner should be on the team, but not sure how anyone can say they chose Griner over Clark considering they play different positions.  

9 hours ago, statsman said:

…and that’s how we think about the WNBA stars, just a bunch of basketball junkies diligently working their craft and giving no thought to acclaim or recognition 

No, It's what I think about olympians, which Clark and most of the WNBA, are not.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

boy this is fucking stupid. Griner has played 2 games this season (so no, your post is a fucking lie) and played 37 of 40 games last season, and she didn't "go to russia after the Ukraine (spell it right, you dumb fucker) invasion," the invasion started midway through her basketball season in russia, where she was playing with many of  her fellow USWNT players, the very thing we are discussing. Fuck, she was detailed *DAYS* before the actual invasion even began, she was detained on Feb 17th, and the invasion began on Feb 22nd. She had been in Russia playing basketball since October 2021, 5 months before the invasion of Ukraine. Your entire post is a fucking lie.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

the invasion started midway through her basketball season in russia, where she was playing with many of  her fellow USWNT players, the very thing we are discussing. Fuck, she was detailed *DAYS* before the actual invasion even began, she was detained on Feb 17th, and the invasion began on Feb 22nd. She had been in Russia playing basketball since October 2021, 5 months before the invasion of Ukraine. Your entire post is a fucking lie.

Given all the saber rattling and threats in the months leading up to the invasion, and they were over there chasing max paydays, is it any wonder the stars of the WNBA have so endeared themselves as America’s sweethearts?

Edited by statsman

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure I agree.  Lots of potholes to dodge as a commentator, and Caitlin could still be viewed as a distraction for Team USA.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

She can do just like Draymond did and Josh Hart is currently doing this yr (sans being an asshole) during the playoffs and how other players do every yr once they are eliminated.  If a media position isnt in her plans I get it but it could be another huge win for the cult of personality that follows her if she shows more of herself while talking about the players and the league.

I see what you are saying, but being a commentator would be a huge mistake for Caitlin right now imo.  Everything she currently says and does is under too much scrutiny.  

Caitlin should take advantage of the break, not be a distraction for Team USA, and get ready for the remainder of the WNBA season.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, statsman said:

Given all the saber rattling and threats in the months leading up to the invasion, and they were over there chasing max paydays, is it any wonder the stars of the WNBA have so endeared themselves as America’s sweethearts?

Hilarious that you condemn a black woman for practicing for the USWMNT and earning a paycheck, but you're all about "eyeballs" and "marketing money" for a bench riding honky. Sound about white.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Hilarious that you condemn a black woman for practicing for the USWMNT and earning a paycheck, but you're all about "eyeballs" and "marketing money" for a bench riding honky. Sound about white.

Don't bring Jon Koncak into this. 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

13 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO it's not just CC that needs to be added. You need to add Brink and Reese as well. Those 3 along with Paige Bueckers are the future face of your league for the next 10 years. 

Cameron Brink is playing on the 3x3 team.

IMG_2970.thumb.png.7ca55d85240dffd170c3cd4b59fe71ff.png

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Cameron Brink is playing on the 3x3 team.

Yeah, posting again for folks that missed this

"Brink, Burdick, Howard, Van Lith make U.S. Olympic women’s 3x3 basketball team for Paris"

Cameron Brink, Cierra Burdick, Rhyne Howard and Hailey Van Lith made the U.S. Olympic women’s 3x3 basketball team for the Paris Games.

https://www.nbcsports.com/olympics/news/hailey-van-lith-cameron-brink-rhyne-howard-cierra-burdick-olympic-3x3-basketball-team-paris-2024#:~:text=Van Lith%2C 22%2C is set to become the,the Olympics during their NCAA career since 1988.

14 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They play 2 different positions. 

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Look how masterfully she handled that situatuon. No other lady players could handle that so well. 

I know this is sarcasm, and generally I would agree with your sentiment, but she seems to be the ONLY person in the league and media handling it well. Disastrous press conferences, media members saying stupid shit and getting banned for being creepy, basketball organizations not being able to explain decisions, players not being able to disguise their envy…Caitlin’s team has prepared her well for the spotlight. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

I know this is sarcasm, and generally I would agree with your sentiment, but she seems to be the ONLY person in the league and media handling it well. Disastrous press conferences, media members saying stupid shit and getting banned for being creepy, basketball organizations not being able to explain decisions, players not being able to disguise their envy…Caitlin’s team has prepared her well for the spotlight. 

Yall really need to get out more.

Posted (edited)

Still funny watching folks argue why Caitlin should not be included on Team USA...

WNBA Huge Marketing Opportunity Lost..😋

WOMEN ARE NEVER SATISFIED!!!   😋

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Crazy part of this decision of leaving Caitlin off 2024 Olympic team... what if she can't play in 2028???

This is a dumb mistake for the  WNBA and women's basketball -- sometimes they are their own worst enemy.   

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

On 6/9/2024 at 6:27 PM, immamac said:

You're right. See below. That's why. This is not even a politician PR answer. She's so good at the interviews and the messaging for little girls who want to grow up and play basketball etc. 

Now imagine she can't shoot.

• Haha 1

WNBA Attendance Is 105% Higher When Caitlin Clark Plays

Key Highlights:

• Caitlin Clark has caused attendance figures to jump 87% compared to opponent’s average home attendance

• Clark has accounted for 33.5% of the total WNBA attendance in 2024

• When Clark plays, WNBA games average 15,591 fans in attendance (+105%) compared to 7,645 fans when she is not in action

• Indiana Fever average 36% more fans on the road (15,142) than any other WNBA team

• The Las Vegas Aces are the only team that didn’t set their season-high in attendance with Clark in town but the defending champs have operated at max capacity for nearly every home game. When removing the Aces from the equation, Clark’s effect grew even bigger to a whopping 137% compared to when she’s not in action.

• No. 2 overall pick Cameron Brink and the L.A. Sparks are next on the list, drawing an average of 11,104 fans on the road. Meanwhile, fellow rookie Angel Reese and the Chicago Sky are third on the list with an average of 10,365 fans in attendance on the road.

Attendance at non-Caitlin Clark WNBA games this past weekend:

Attendance at Caitlin Clark WNBA games this past weekend:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 8:22 AM, Pancho said:

Because women’s basketball as a whole isn’t being talked about here—it’s just her.  

You mean in the thread titled “Caitlin Clark?”

I would put her on the Olympic team just for marketing. From a $$ standpoint it’s a no brainer, but leaving her off left off should not be a big a deal. Isaiah Thomas, Reggie Miller and Shaq were left off the dream team 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I would put her on the Olympic team just for marketing. From a $$ standpoint it’s a no brainer, but leaving her off left off should not be a big a deal. Isaiah Thomas, Reggie Miller and Shaq were left off the dream team 

Fuck Isiah Thomas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Honestly, Shaq being left off for Laettner is a pretty good parallel. They had one spot for someone coming out of college, so it made perfect sense to give it to one of the most accomplished, popular (infamous?) college players of all-time, despite Shaq obviously being better at basketball.

Also, I'm not sure Larry Bird was one of the 12 best Celtics by 1992. And Magic had just retired, so he technically wasn't even an NBA player at the time. But it was important that they were both on the roster as NBA and basketball ambassadors. Isaiah and Reggie wouldn't have had the same impact.

I've come around to how irrational and short-sighted leaving her off the team is. 

• Hook 'Em 3

*obviously hyperbole about Bird. In the handful of minutes that his back allowed him to play, he was still very good. But the Olympics was the last competitive basketball that he ever played, officially retiring that August.

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Fuck Isiah Thomas. 

Well, yeah

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Honestly, Shaq being left off for Laettner is a pretty good parallel. They had one spot for someone coming out of college, so it made perfect sense to give it to one of the most accomplished, popular (infamous?) college players of all-time, despite Shaq obviously being better at basketball.

Also, I'm not sure Larry Bird was one of the 12 best Celtics by 1992. And Magic had just retired, so he technically wasn't even an NBA player at the time. But it was important that they were both on the roster as NBA and basketball ambassadors. Isaiah and Reggie wouldn't have had the same impact.

I've come around to how irrational and short-sighted leaving her off the team is. 

Leattner instead of Shaq is definitely the best parallel assuming another college player is going rather than her. I don’t know if that’s the case or not because I haven’t followed. 

If you need every roster spot to ensure you win the gold you take the 12 that give you the best shot. Clearly that wasn’t the case with the Dream Team. I honestly don’t know about this years Olympic women’s bb fields.