Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

45 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't really care, but why would the other games have such higher attendance when they also don't have Clark on their roster?  I would expect France vs X would have the highest attendance, but why are 27k people attending Spain vs China?

Maybe its more that the line was around 30.   Japan doesnt have a player over 6'1 and many expected it to be a complete rout from the tip.   It actually turned out to be a pretty good game but depending on what else was on the schedule for the day, I could see people passing on the matchup.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Maybe its more that the line was around 30.   Japan doesnt have a player over 6'1 and many expected it to be a complete rout from the tip.   It actually turned out to be a pretty good game but depending on what else was on the schedule for the day, I could see people passing on the matchup.

TBH I wouldn't think group play would pull any of those numbers outside of a host nation bump.  20+ thousand for some group play games is pretty impressive.  BB arena's here don't even seat that many.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Cope

there is one american women’s basketball player who anyone wants to watch, and then there is an entire nation of american female basketball players who are off putting, sanctimonious, self righteous, shit-talking-yet-woe-is-me, loud, angry women. i’m guessing that people were actively interested in watching the former and equally disinterested in watching the latter.

31 minutes ago, Derka said:

there is one american women’s basketball player who anyone wants to watch, and then there is an entire nation of american female basketball players who are off putting, sanctimonious, self righteous, shit-talking-yet-woe-is-me, loud, angry women. i’m guessing that people were actively interested in watching the former and equally disinterested in watching the latter.

She should be on the team, but is the argument that everyone in France right now is so offput that she's not on team USA that they refuse to attend team USA games, and instead are attending non USA games out of spite?

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

She should be on the team, but is the argument that everyone in France right now is so offput that she's not on team USA that they refuse to attend team USA games, and instead are attending non USA games out of spite?

the women of the wnba are loudly and proudly unlikable. it would not surprise me at all if the attendance numbers reflected that.

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think they are preforming to standard of popularity pre Caitlin Clark.  

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The other countries don't have Clark either.  Maybe those countries fans travelled well this Olympics, or maybe those are powerhouse teams (I have no clue).  Just asking how a Clark less USA team who will probably win gold is a worse attendance draw than two other countries with players no one has heard of.  If the off putting nature of other WNBA stars is a global perception, then I get it.  I just didn't realize that the rest of the world is laughing at them as well.

15 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The other countries don't have Clark either.  Maybe those countries fans travelled well this Olympics, or maybe those are powerhouse teams (I have no clue).  Just asking how a Clark less USA team who will probably win gold is a worse attendance draw than two other countries with players no one has heard of.  If the off putting nature of other WNBA stars is a global perception, then I get it.  I just didn't realize that the rest of the world is laughing at them as well.

Maybe those traveling fans don't have as many conflicting events for their countries athletes leading to higher attendance numbers?  

50 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Putting her and Reese on the team helps grow the game. They’re arguably the two biggest draws of the game 

39 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Then why did Staley walk back her comments? It’s why her snub from the is so fucking stupid. She’s playing better and better than she was at the time, which EVERYONE saw coming. She’s lost certainly a better player now than DT is. This is nothing but an old bitch organization gatekeeping

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I just didn't realize that the rest of the world is laughing at them as well.

They aren't.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Put bronny James in a wig on the team and you might draw some eyes too. 

"Who's that big ass bitch bricking all those 3's?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, d2o said:

This. They are playing now on the USA network, we'll see what the number are for the Belgium game.

Edited by TommysTinyTowels
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Seems the scheduling plus an expected uncompetitive matchup between two teams who aren't located in Europe led to a low attended opener for the women, but it did have good TV ratings compared to the last Olympics.

I think that's true, but additionally the Belgium game was said to be 6 miles from the Belgium border and was packed with Belgium fans.

Very hostile crowd which was fun.

I think the US team is shocked at how physical they let them play. Yesterday was a basketbrawl game. You can see how the rules here have been adjusted to favor the offensive player.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Gold metal performance isn’t enough I guess. 

getting silver would have been one of the all time choke jobs in the entire history of sports. if you’re going to pick your squad based on politics and butthurt feelings, you can’t lose. this team nearly did, and that’s a huge deal because the US women’s basketball team is arguably the most dominant force in all of world sports, the one team that should never ever ever lose. the generals should beat the globetrotters before usa women’s basketball loses. to have made the selection process to petty and political and then to go and nearly lay the biggest egg of all time- yeah, just another bad look on a long line of bad looks for women’s basketball.

• Hook 'Em 1

i stopped watching sportscenter ages ago, but i was clicking through channels a little while ago when i hit espn they had SC covering the wnba. apparently the league resumed play tonight after the olympics.

first thing i noticed was that one team was ahead like 58-27 at half time. doesn’t the league have like 10-12 teams? how does that happen when you barely have any teams to begin with? 

the second thing that irked me is that after the highlights they had these two chicks in-studio standing by the giant wall-screen ready to go in depth in breaking down all of the latest in wnba action and news. here’s a question for you:

who is watching this??? who is sitting at their house at 10:30 or 11:30 at night tuning in for in-depth studio coverage of a sport that nobody watches in the first place? it’s this stuff right here that drives me crazy about the bitchy, petty, entitled nature of these “athletes”: you’ve already been given so, so, so much more than you ever deserved, and you still all choose to demand more while biting/blaming the hand that feeds you. as the league resumes play, so does my newfound hatred of said league and its players. 

10 hours ago, Derka said:

this the lady who whines about being sexualized.

https://triblive.com/local/valley-news-dispatch/as-interest-in-wnba-peaks-so-does-stylist-career-of-burrell-standout-sydney-bordonaro/

I do not like this aspect of sports. And it is not just the gals. Although this story is about a gal who “dresses” the WNBA players for their arena arrivals.

I know Mike, whom I’ve mentioned in the soccer page, has had the PR folks for St. Louis SC tell him to dress up so pictures, such as those above, could be taken as they arrive at the facility. I told him he looked ridiculous and that he looked like he was part of a Boy Band. I said he should just wear a nice pair of shorts and a team polo shirt. And be done with it.

I reckon I’m just too damned old.

On 8/17/2024 at 9:22 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Clark should be closer to the base talent level in the league instead of its most talented as the Olympics emphatically showed. 

Um. What?

That's like saying Damian Lillard should be the base talent level for the NBA. 

CC is a generational standout - not just "a girl who's actually good at basketball".

• Hook 'Em 1

I am just going to root for the Fever. Never picked a WNBA team, but Clark is just too fun to not pull for her and her teammates to keep on winning. I hope she terrorizes every single one of these players that has shown her so much disrespect for years to come. The game will grow and eventually the players who fervently dislike her will fade into the background. The fun thing will be to see the players that come along 10-15 years from now that play with her trademark shoot from the hip mentality. More athletes could stand to be as cool as she is and as good with the fans as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

Enormous amount of it. I guess it’s a normal reaction from people. It’s obviously not a good look for the league right now to have the marquee attraction being treated like hot garbage by so many players across the league, but again the dissenters will fade into the background as time passes by and Clark will stay right at the forefront of the league going forward. She’s already the face of the WNBA with barely 2/3 of the season played. 

11 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Enormous amount of it. I guess it’s a normal reaction from people. It’s obviously not a good look for the league right now to have the marquee attraction being treated like hot garbage by so many players across the league, but again the dissenters will fade into the background as time passes by and Clark will stay right at the forefront of the league going forward. She’s already the face of the WNBA with barely 2/3 of the season played. 

I’d leave the wnba if I were her. Go play in Russia. Don’t smoke pot

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I’d leave the wnba if I were her. Go play in Russia. Don’t smoke pot

That's the dumbest idea ever. "Stick it to the haterz" culture has gotten way out of control. I'm glad Caitlin focuses on being positive, and thanking those who have helped her, instead of holding media grudges. Just kick their ass on the court.