The Penguin. HBO

Parliament

15 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I turned it on last night to see if my wife could guess the actor playing the Penguin - she couldn't.  Ended up watching and enjoying the whole episode.  I need to go back and watch The Batman because I don't remember any of it.

I rewatched it last night.  The aesthetic is great.  I want more of this DC and none of the JL crap.

• Hook 'Em 3

Crazy that I watched the whole second half thinking “where the fuck do I know this actress from” (I rewatched season 2 of Fargo this year) about Milioti and yet as soon as those gangster family c-suite shitheads showed up at the mansion I thought “well there’s the short replacement from Band of Brothers”.

this was great. lol her shitting on his stupid car.

No one else thought the whole knife thing was dumb as fuck? 

I liked the head fake when you thought he was going to plant it on Vitti. I didn’t mind considering how strong the show has been generally so far.

Posted (edited)
On 9/24/2024 at 9:59 PM, Red Five said:

Almost a ripoff of Tony Soprano.

So far he's like a discount Tony Soprano.  He just barely manages to stay a half step in front of disaster.

He's Tony Soprano at home.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

I've rewatched both episodes to pick up on stuff I may have missed the first time around. I was a Marvel fanboy when I was a kid but in my old age this DC stuff is much more interesting

I will say, the DC stuff is much darker.

20 hours ago, lateshow said:

I will say, the DC stuff is much darker.

I watched the deleted joker scene on the first page someone posted and thought how gruesome and dark joker looks. It makes Ledger’s joker look downright squeaky clean. 

I caught The Batman (2022) on HBO after watching ep 1 of Penguin and forgot how awesome Paul Dano was.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

I watched the deleted joker scene on the first page someone posted and thought how gruesome and dark joker looks. It makes Ledger’s joker look downright squeaky clean. 

I caught The Batman (2022) on HBO after watching ep 1 of Penguin and forgot how awesome Paul Dano was.

He is almost always excellent

It's interesting the only two females in the cast (at least from what I remember) are very mentally ill. The mom swivel chairs from dementia to salient, if a bit cruel, ambition and narcissism (e.g. If my son is a nothing, am I a nothing?).

Reminds me of the R-rated version of the mom in Kindergarten cop.

13 hours ago, Red Five said:

I wonder if there will be other nominees for the Best Actor Emmy, or if they will just dispense with that and only give it to Farrell.

He’s a big name and a prestige actor for sure, but I dunno. The Penguin really isn’t in the zeitgeist like The Bear and Shogun. 

Also, show is going to get dinged because it’s comic book IP. Just like Andor got dinged because it’s Star Wars. I could see polite nominations for Best Actor and Best Drama, but no wins in the big categories. 

56 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He’s a big name and a prestige actor for sure, but I dunno. The Penguin really isn’t in the zeitgeist like The Bear and Shogun. 

Also, show is going to get dinged because it’s comic book IP. Just like Andor got dinged because it’s Star Wars. I could see polite nominations for Best Actor and Best Drama, but no wins in the big categories. 

Yeah I just meant in terms of his performance. It's mesmerizing, and I'm unhappy when he's not on screen. 

On 10/6/2024 at 11:05 PM, Red Five said:

I wonder if there will be other nominees for the Best Actor Emmy, or if they will just dispense with that and only give it to Farrell.

i dont think farrell deserves it as much as the makeup artist does.  he is unrecognizable.  when gary oldman played churchill, you could still tell it was him.  this is amazing.

• Hook 'Em 2

Farrell is outstanding, but the whole him getting repeatedly held at gunpoint and given a chance to talk is just silly. He’d have just straight up been killed long ago in real life. Show is off to a strong start but you can feel it running out of steam. Next episode could turn it around though.