The Penguin. HBO

Parliament

On 10/9/2024 at 5:49 PM, Buzzrock said:

The lengthy Victor and girlfriend scenes were a little tedious but I’m digging the rest. Victor doesn’t add much to the show for me. 

Victor came to life for me this week finally. Gave him some 3D with the backstory, a moral arc, a rubicon to cross at the bus station, some redemption, etc.

I hope Victor becomes some gangland or henchmen from the rogue gallery and this is his stealth origin story, but I don't think we are that lucky (and I don't know the lore well enough or not to know).

This show is fantastic to me and Collin Ferrel is a tour de force. Helo isn't entirely wrong, as the writing/plot can be a bit episodic or soapy, but it is a comic book and gangland mash up, so some of that is forgivable. They are getting the balance right 90% of the time.

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I guess they can only hint at their history several thousand times without actually showing it. 

I didn't watch the trailer for next week but is it about what Penguin did to betray Sofia?

I'm so confused about all that-- what could Penguin have done to get Carmine, her dad, to put her Arkham? Has it already been stated and I missed it? 

8 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

I didn't watch the trailer for next week but is it about what Penguin did to betray Sofia?

I'm so confused about all that-- what could Penguin have done to get Carmine, her dad, to put her Arkham? Has it already been stated and I missed it? 

I think you’ll find out on Sunday. 

I think they nailed everything about that episode. Parts of it felt like a straight horror show. I understand the show is about Oz given the title, but damn if I'm not on her side. Milioti is leaving nothing behind to play that part.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Fuck me she’s awesome. Awesome to look at and her performance has been fucking incredible. 

Agreed.  I know that the Penguin is a heavy hitter who is going to get a lot of award press, but he's not the best actor on this show.

On 10/14/2024 at 1:07 AM, deech said:

Agreed.  I know that the Penguin is a heavy hitter who is going to get a lot of award press, but he's not the best actor on this show.

I was thinking the same thing last night and I'm only through the first three episodes. Still have this one to watch. She's phenomenal. Farrell is great in everything he does but the real "star" in this for him is the makeup. Milioti is insanely good in this. Might sneak in this fourth episode during lunch today.

• Hook 'Em 2

OK, first off that Arkham episode was pretty awesome and really makes you sympathize with Sofia. I'll spoiler this in event somebody hasn't caught up yet.

My only question -- if Carmine Falcone had that many people in his pocket to make that happen to Sofia, then surely he had the means for the murder stuff to just magically go away without completely destroying his daughter in the process. Keep in mind she was his supposed choice to take over the family operations after he was gone. Or was he just so terrified that she would ultimately put things together to learn that Carmine killed her mother that many years ago?

OK, first off that Arkham episode was pretty awesome and really makes you sympathize with Sofia. I'll spoiler this in event somebody hasn't caught up yet.

My only question -- if Carmine Falcone had that many people in his pocket to make that happen to Sofia, then surely he had the means for the murder stuff to just magically go away without completely destroying his daughter in the process. Keep in mind she was his supposed choice to take over the family operations after he was gone. Or was he just so terrified that she would ultimately put things together to learn that Carmine killed her mother that many years ago?

she was a threat and he believed she was being disloyal. He further solidified others’ loyalty by going along with it.

Not for nothing, history shows many less connected husbands and fathers locking women into looney bins or convicted in prison. The police also have an incentive to find a patsy for murders

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought last night's episode was a little more ham fisted than the rest of the season, but it's still really good. Or maybe I'm just being overly critical because I thought the Cent'anni Sophia episode was so great?

Just seemed like they moved shit along a little too easily. Like, it's really that easy to get to the Maroni's in the middle of a gang war? Four different times in the same episode?

30 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Last nights was the most "comic book" episode of them all.  Less of a mob drama, and more of a evil villain kind of vibe.   

The perfectly placed generator that still works to fire up the entire Penguin Lair which ostensibly sat idly for 30+ years was as comic book as it gets.

Still, I'm enjoying the series. Loved the Viti goodbye, out of the blue. Was wondering how they were going to square that circle with his "loyalty".

I had almost forgotten we were in Gotham in a Batman universe, so I think they remind us and we see a Batman sighting and cameo in the finale. 

1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

The perfectly placed generator that still works to fire up the entire Penguin Lair which ostensibly sat idly for 30+ years was as comic book as it gets.

Still, I'm enjoying the series. Loved the Viti goodbye, out of the blue. Was wondering how they were going to square that circle with his "loyalty".

I had almost forgotten we were in Gotham in a Batman universe, so I think they remind us and we see a Batman sighting and cameo in the finale. 

Hadn't really thought about it, but I don't think we've had one Batman/Bruce Wayne reference yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Last nights was the most "comic book" episode of them all.  Less of a mob drama, and more of an evil villain kind of vibe.   

I think we want all a mob show, but we’re going to get to a comic book show. Meet Reeves is an EP, and it’s set in his Batman universe. This was expected and understood.

It can still be a great show, but I think we’ll get more and more comic book each week. I believe Magpie is in the previews for next week. 

I’m sure he’ll be in the next Matt Reeve’s Batman film, but how long does Collin Farrell want to do this? He can shoot a movie in about 6 weeks. The Penguin probably takes at least 6 months to film + hours and hours of makeup. He’s made his bones. He can do whatever he wants as an actor. Multiple seasons of The Penguin feels unlikely. 

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m sure he’ll be in the next Matt Reeve’s Batman film, but how long does Collin Farrell want to do this? He can shoot a movie in about 6 weeks. The Penguin probably takes at least 6 months to film + hours and hours of makeup. He’s made his bones. He can do whatever he wants as an actor.

Not like we hang, but I bet Farrell loves it and will happily cash Warner Bros checks as long as they want to produce it.  

4 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Thing is that Oz is like the worst dude in the show.  Very reminiscent of the Sopranos.   Would not be surprised if Victor kills him in the end or if he kills Victor. 

Killing Victor would be some very dark shit. When Tony killed Chris you were so sick of his shit that felt like a relief. Victor is just a good kid in a tough situation. 

Not one criminal/person in this show is remotely concerned about or has once mentioned the masked vigilante that runs around at night and was a big source of fear in the movie which this show is based on. 

Even Vengeance wants no part of the War on Drugs