FAFO time for CNN

Jhawkmvp

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm more skeptical that his Presidential runs are more about staying relevant and it gives him the 1% chance of success if something wild happens.

It's really surprising to me that Cruz hasn't announced because why wouldn't he?

Christie probably wants a cabinet position and/or thinks he can remain relevant.

Cruz....either he actually cares that Trump bent him over in front of America and doesn't want to risk that again...

Or he believes that Biden will still win and Trump and the other candidates will destroy each other, and Cruz comes out in 2028 relatively unscathed (and hoping people forget 2016).

• 11 months later...

They are really wasting the talent of Abby Phillip. That interview with Cam’ron was—terrible:

Her interview with Coon Byron was pretty good—here’s a taste:

But then to make her interview Doctor Fucking Phil? 

Tom Cruise What GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 2

43 minutes ago, Pancho said:

They are really wasting the talent of Abby Phillip. That interview with Cam’ron was—terrible:

Her interview with Coon Byron was pretty good—here’s a taste:

But then to make her interview Doctor Fucking Phil? 

I love the perspective you bring and agree with you on this post but please, can we not with the bolded?

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I love the perspective you bring and agree with you on this post but please, can we not with the bolded?

Can we not what, exactly? (And for @HendersonHorns too). What is wrong with calling Coon Byron his appropriate name?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Can we not what, exactly? (And for @HendersonHorns too). What is wrong with calling Coon Byron his appropriate name?

There are obviously a lot of dynamics at play with (presumably, based just on demographics of this sit) a middle-aged or older white dude suggesting language to a younger Black dude but starting to walk down a road of who gets to use what racial slur when is not a road that I suspect immamac wants to go down, and I don't think it would be a productive road even if he wanted it. Just my opinion and request, you are free to act or not to act on it.

3 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Why is CNN interviewing fucking Dr. Phil?

He has nothing interesting to say and is clearly a moron. 

Asking him to cash you outside, how bout da is one thing.  Asking him about politics is something else entirely.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Asking him to cash you outside, how bout da is one thing.  Asking him about politics is something else entirely.

His entire career in front of the camera has been about him controlling the narrative.  He can't handle any disagreement.  He's a carnie.  (No offense to carnies.)

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, troph said:

Phil McGraw saying Biden should interfere and stop the Georgia prosecution is unbelievably obtuse.

It's an absurd "gotcha" too. If he were to interfere to stop it, they'll take that as proof he interfered to bring the case in the first place. Fuck these people.

Yeah, whose idea was it bring on "Doctor" Phil to discuss politics on a politically-oriented news hour?  I mean, sure bring him in to talk about mental health or whatever, but to have him to discuss unprecedented judicial procedure?  I love Abby, and I'm sure it was her producer's bidding.  But this is like having him on a Top Chef segment or the Grammys.  That don't make no sense!  

40 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

It's a follow-up to his interview of dotard.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

It's a follow-up to his interview of dotard.

This. "Dr" Phil interviewed Dotard. It was basic journalism to do a post-game. I agree CNN has slipped badly since the Ted Turner driven days, but it's still the most balanced cable news.

Edited by RPM

Biden shouldn’t interfere with any state judicial matter and shouldn’t weigh in on it. He also shouldn’t do so with a federal one, with the exception of a pardon.

Of course Trump is the opposite. He comments on anything without worrying about the impact.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

His entire career in front of the camera has been about him controlling the narrative.  He can't handle any disagreement.  He's a carnie.  (No offense to carnies.)

Controlling the narrative is what his trial consultation was as well. 

2 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Maybe they’re trying to siphon off some Fox News’ audience of dimwits. 

• 4 weeks later...

The article below was from a few years ago but CNN has definitely changed since then.  What Js1 said above is absolutely correct, sadly.  Over the last week since the first presidential debate it seems like someone high up said, “we need to get Biden to step down because then we can run with a bunch of stories about that and who his replacement will be and drive ratings”.  They don’t seem to do stories about Trump being a raving lunatic and kind of just omit those from the broadcast similar to what Fox News does. 

https://www.vox.com/2022/8/26/23322761/cnn-john-malone-david-zaslav-chris-licht-brian-stelter-fox-peter-kafka-column

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The article below was from a few years ago but CNN has definitely changed since then.  What Js1 said above is absolutely correct, sadly.  Over the last week since the first presidential debate it seems like someone high up said, “we need to get Biden to step down because then we can run with a bunch of stories about that and who his replacement will be and drive ratings”.  They don’t seem to do stories about Trump being a raving lunatic and kind of just omit those from the broadcast similar to what Fox News does. 

https://www.vox.com/2022/8/26/23322761/cnn-john-malone-david-zaslav-chris-licht-brian-stelter-fox-peter-kafka-column

I don't really understand people who watch/consume news this way outside of boomers/olds who really don't read the newspaper anymore and didn't move to the Internet. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't really understand people who watch/consume news this way outside of boomers/olds who really don't read the newspaper anymore and didn't move to the Internet. 

I think you just called me old!  Well sir, I get all my news from Surlyhorns.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s not news. It’s infotainment 

it's not even that any longer

much like everything else today it's about shareholder value. you carve out your carefully selected (by focus groups and consultants galore) market space and then you just exploit the fuck out of your customer base. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s not news. It’s infotainment 

We gotta unfuck the media landscape somehow. You can't have 95% of news controlled by like 3 people. You just can't. This, to me, is the biggest area of danger when it comes to our society being radicalized. It really is classic divide and conquer shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

CNN - we won't fact check debates, we give safe haven to Republicans to spew lies and bullshit on our network unchecked and our personalities tweet out false rumors about the President

Diet Fox News

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Over the last week since the first presidential debate it seems like someone high up said, “we need to get Biden to step down because then we can run with a bunch of stories about that and who his replacement will be and drive ratings”.  They don’t seem to do stories about Trump being a raving lunatic and kind of just omit those from the broadcast similar to what Fox News does. 

Exactly this.  It’s better for CNN’s ratings so they drive the narrative that Biden needs to be replaced.  Meanwhile, Trump doubles down on his belief that if you’re on a boat with a battery and it sinks, you will be electrocuted.

12 hours ago, immamac said:

Just try find your favorite Nancy cartoon on the Internet youngster!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, pacman said:

Screenshot_20240704_092120_X.jpg

Fox News has probably had 20+ stories or opinion pieces about Biden dropping out or that he needs to drop out. 

Don’t go along with what Fox News clearly wants 

On 7/4/2024 at 9:36 AM, Snake Diggity said:

Anyone who regularly watches cable news is a fucking idiot.  No exceptions.

Quick outline of how it all went to shit:
1)  Cable penetration grows exponentially during the 1970s
2)  CNN starts, gets huge ratings, spins up CNN2/Headline News
3)  Other companies want a piece of the pie, including Rapert Murdoch
5)  Turner, and other owners realize it's pretty fucking expensive to spin up fully-staffed, fully-equipped bureaus around the world, and fly crews to big news stories on little/no notice
6)  Turner, and other owners realize it's far cheaper to do less news, and more long-form interviews with "newsmakers"
7)  Turner, and other owners see ratings hold steady or even increase
8 ) Turner, and other owners realize keeping eyes glued on the channel makes as much money as growing ratings
9)  Turner, and other owners realize the viewers most likely to stay glued to the channel are the more extreme, rabid, fucking idiot ends of the political spectrum, and start booking interviews accordingly
10)  Fucking idiots stay glued to the channel which resonates loudest in their echo chamber.

• Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, TeeDubya said:

5)  Turner, and other owners realize it's pretty fucking expensive to spin up fully-staffed, fully-equipped bureaus around the world, and fly crews to big news stories on little/no notice
6)  Turner, and other owners realize it's far cheaper to do less news, and more long-form interviews with "newsmakers"
8 ) Turner, and other owners realize keeping eyes glued on the channel makes as much money as growing ratings
9)  Turner, and other owners realize the viewers most likely to stay glued to the channel are the more extreme, rabid, fucking idiot ends of the political spectrum, and start booking interviews accordingly
10)  Fucking idiots stay glued to the channel which resonates loudest in their echo chamber.

3.5) Reagan uses Murdoch propaganda machine and helps jumpstart it in US

47 minutes ago, TeeDubya said:

You left out how Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes came along and changed the paradigm, grabbing the majority share of the ratings by creating a network more devoted to opinion than news. CNN was a better news network before Fox News came along and they’ve taken the unfortunate approach of trying to be more like Fox News in order to compete. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You left out how Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes came along and changed the paradigm, grabbing the majority share of the ratings by creating a network more devoted to opinion than news. CNN was a better news network before Fox News came along and they’ve taken the unfortunate approach of trying to be more like Fox News in order to compete. 

That's in 6 through 10.  

Cheapest programming, keeps eyes.  we're screwed.

7 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

That's in 6 through 10.  

Cheapest programming, keeps eyes.  we're screwed.

But it didn’t happen in a vacuum. It’’s because of Fox News. It wasn’t just to save money. It was to compete with a fake news network that was dominating the ratings. The fact that it’s cheaper to show a bunch of heads on the screen yelling at each other than to send reporters into the field to develop and report real news stories was just an added bonus.

Also, Ted Turner lost control of CNN before Bush invaded Iraq so he didn’t really have anything to do with the Fox News effect. They were still a legitimate (if imperfect) news network when he was running things.

• Hook 'Em 2

Fox News has probably had 20+ stories or opinion pieces about Biden dropping out or that he needs to drop out. 
Don’t go along with what Fox News clearly wants 

They always let someone else frame the discussion. They never learn.