FAFO time for CNN

Jhawkmvp

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

But it didn’t happen in a vacuum. It’’s because of Fox News. It wasn’t just to save money. It was to compete with a fake news network that was dominating the ratings. The fact that it’s cheaper to show a bunch of heads on the screen yelling at each other than to send reporters into the field to develop and report real news stories was just an added bonus.

Also, Ted Turner lost control of CNN before Bush invaded Iraq so he didn’t really have anything to do with the Fox News effect. They were still a legitimate (if imperfect) news network when he was running things.

I would also relate the downfall of television news media to the rise of right wing radio media.  In essence, Fox News was more of a copycat of the Rush Limbaugh format on a different medium.  Facts be damned, just have some opinionated asshole spewing their bullshit with an authoritarian tone, bing o presto you got a show with followers.  It's cheap as shit to make and highly profitable.  

The real world is full of complicated and multi-faceted problems, but unfortunately most people have little to no concept of this.  It's a hell of a lot easier and successful to find a person or group that is the cause of all their problems, point the finger, and yell about it.  Their programs are so inane I think it's difficult for intelligent people to counter it.  Trying to explain a complicated problem like say, homelessness to right wing radio listeners is akin to attempting teaching astrophysics to a hamster.  

Ultimately, Republican hucksters have been and are good at targeting a group of people that are stupid.  There's a reason you hear about stupid things like the 3%ers or whatever, these people believe they are in some sort of high level group and "in the club".  But the truth is, they are part of the dredges of society.  The actual elites would never have anything to do with these folks, save profit off their stupidity.  All of this is a very effective strategy, because unfortunately, the masses are stupid.  To be frank, it has me down on democracy in general, because I don't know how you overcome it.  I'm beginning to believe that I would prefer a meritocracy.  

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I would also relate the downfall of television news media to the rise of right wing radio media.  In essence, Fox News was more of a copycat of the Rush Limbaugh format on a different medium.  Facts be damned, just have some opinionated asshole spewing their bullshit with an authoritarian tone, bing o presto you got a show with followers.  It's cheap as shit to make and highly profitable.  

Bill O’Reilly helped bridge the right-wingers between radio (Rush) and Fox News.  He joined Fox News when it started up and started bringing those people over from radio.

Sorry to vent but this shit drives me nuts.  Not sure why but I just listened to CNN this morning and the two senators I heard interviewed were Dem Chris Murphy and Rep Little Marco Rubio.  This country is fucked based on the media and also people like Rubio.  Dana Bash (yes, she sucks) did the interviews and the entire interview with Murphy was only about should Biden not run.  Even when he answered it the next question was the same.  Nothing about the country, Trump, Supreme Court decisions, zip, nada.  Just, "should Biden step aside", "is Biden too old to run the country", "will you support Kamal for President".  It is quite obvious CNN wants a change at the top and is totally pushing for that.  I am awaiting one of the anchors to say," We have breaking news that Trump just murdered 3 people but let's talk about Biden's debate again". 

Then she interviews Rubio and lets him go on and on about how Biden is going after his enemies and persecuting them (Trump) with the DOJ.  If you listen to his view of the US, it is falling apart, and we can't let the Dems have 4 more years of destroying our country.  Lie after lie.  Illegals are killing Americans every day.  Trump would never go after his enemies like Biden.  Radical Left, Radical Left, Radical Left.  Crazy California policies that Kamala and Newsom would bring to our country.  There is a shadow government running the country with Biden just a figurehead.  Democrats want Americans to pay for abortions up to when the child is born.  When asked about the immunity case the Supreme Court did, he said that helps protect President's like Trump from being persecuted like they have done to Trump.

I know many of you think the people of this country that vote for Trump are racist or Fascist, but I still believe many just hear shit like this all day long and are too stupid to not believe it, the Facebook memes they get, the Russian bots that are hitting them with propaganda left and right. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He's promising to do that.

Rubio said Trump did not say that at the debate that Trump said his vengeance would be winning.  She responded, "You are correct he didn't say it at the debate he said it on another day" and then she just moved on.  

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yep, they don’t ever push back against Republicans. They’re too scared 

What a wrote above is her pushing back but it's very meekly.  It's always, " I don't think that is correct" versus "you are fucking lying to the American people you cunt".  I prefer the second example, but I only get the first one. 

Meekly mumbling “I don’t think that’s correct” isn’t pushing back because they just let themselves get run over by more talking points right after.

Pushing back is the rare times someone says the interview is over because they’re just lying and not answering questions. 

CNN sucks ass. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Rubio said Trump did not say that at the debate that Trump said his vengeance would be winning.  She responded, "You are correct he didn't say it at the debate he said it on another day" and then she just moved on. 

He is literally saying that he wants to put Biden, Pelosi, Hillary, Pence, etc. in jail. Not investigate them, not charge them. Put them in jail. 

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

"I did everything right."

And this is where it begins.

Fascism has precisely 0 intellectual foundation. It’s a stupid person’s idea of a smart thing to think.

In the 1920’s and 1930’s, German working people were really saying that and the unwavering follow-up question they’d ask was “what happened to me?” They were legitimately seeking answers to that question and nobody in the power system would give answers. Adolf Hitler was pretty much the only person in any position of prominence to give answers to those questions…

They were batshit insane, morally and intellectually bankrupt answers, but they were nonetheless answers and that’s why the kind of people @Beantown Express 2.0 is describing end up following this bullshit. When you have honest hardworking people go on the decline, they’re going to wonder why and they’re gonna follow the person supplying them with the answers, even if those answers are complete loony bin material…and even if said material is being supplied by people who couldn’t be bothered to give a shit about any of them. That’s exactly why working class people support this useless loser.

• Hook 'Em 1