Texas tops list of worst places to live and work in America

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, tomahawk dunk said:

Austin (and Texas) was really hot for a decade plus and now its cooled down somewhat. Americans always seem to have the desire to move some place else. 

high quality GIF

average high in June is supposed to be 91… including the days approaching July. We haven’t had but one day at or below the average so far this month and we aren’t even to June 15.

image.thumb.png.62e631f931f9e54ccf0dcf696d6d8bf0.png

We’ve had some beautiful summer nights the last week I’ll admit that (and the average low is 71 historically) but I’m done with excessive heat beyond what is historically the norm.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

No one has mentioned coastal Maine yet. Good, stay away. I wouldn't mind ending up there. Maybe I'll buy an island. 

Maine's got too many vampires. I think you and I are the only two who have ever thought about New England though.  I also enjoy the Penna-NJ Borderlands, neat little villages every three miles full of people trying hard to pretend they're not mafiosi. Loved it there.

• Haha 2

On 6/10/2024 at 5:03 PM, F250 said:

I have a friend in California with this attitude. He says the access to all of the natural environments in California is worth the reduced living space.

It is. My little shithole is comparable to what I had in little elm but not far from the beach

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, tomahawk dunk said:

Austin (and Texas) was really hot for a decade plus and now its cooled down somewhat. Americans always seem to have the desire to move some place else. 

What do you mean "its cooled down somewhat"? 

Just last year, we experienced the second hottest summer on record in Texas, only behind 2011. Since 2000, only four summers have been cooler than the 20th-century average, and only one of those has happened in the last ten years.

Shit's getting hotter, yo.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Maine's got too many vampires. I think you and I are the only two who have ever thought about New England though.  I also enjoy the Penna-NJ Borderlands, neat little villages every three miles full of people trying hard to pretend they're not mafiosi. Loved it there.

Pennsylvania/New Jersey used to be part of the territory I had to cover for work about 10 years ago. The villages every three miles is a trip and a lot of those villages lack parking. One time I had to stop at a Walgreens in some NJ village for a phone charger. The sign in the parking lot said that I had 15 minutes to get my shit and get out or be towed. There were six parking spots.

So I go inside, Walgreens was bustling with people speaking Spanish. My first thought was "I speak Spanish, I can dig it." Thirty seconds later I realized these were Jersey Puerto Ricans and I did not dig it. Doesn't anyone speak Mexican? Grabbed my charger and vamosed!

Don't care for Pennsylvania-New Jersey but I had a number of clients down the highway in Delaware and Delaware is nice. I spent some time in Newark, Delaware at the University of Delaware and that is a very chill little town. Only about a half hour outside of Philadelphia but doesn't feel like the suburbs at all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Also, my FIL informed me a month or so ago that my BIL bought a cabin on an island in Maine to go along with their other vacation houses.  

This sounds like your father in law was trying to call you a loser for not properly providing for his daughter.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, F250 said:

Pennsylvania/New Jersey used to be part of the territory I had to cover for work about 10 years ago. The villages every three miles is a trip and a lot of those villages lack parking. One time I had to stop at a Walgreens in some NJ village for a phone charger. The sign in the parking lot said that I had 15 minutes to get my shit and get out or be towed. There were six parking spots.

So I go inside, Walgreens was bustling with people speaking Spanish. My first thought was "I speak Spanish, I can dig it." Thirty seconds later I realized these were Jersey Puerto Ricans and I did not dig it. Doesn't anyone speak Mexican? Grabbed my charger and vamosed!

Don't care for Pennsylvania-New Jersey but I had a number of clients down the highway in Delaware and Delaware is nice. I spent some time in Newark, Delaware at the University of Delaware and that is a very chill little town. Only about a half hour outside of Philadelphia but doesn't feel like the suburbs at all.

I had a project doing microwave links between Chicago and NYC. I70 was home and Pittsburgh was cool but agree Pennsylvania and Jersey are weird places 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

This sounds like your father in law was trying to call you a loser for not properly providing for his daughter.

Step daughter.  And being gifted the first 2 in Austin and another abroad from her side definitely helped. Otherwise, I’d assume he’d have had to work past the age of 30. 

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Step daughter.  And being gifted the first 2 in Austin and another abroad from her side definitely helped. Otherwise, I’d assume he’d have had to work past the age of 30. 

So why no gift his stepdaughter's husband?

14 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Except those places get crowded as fuck and are a pain in the ass to get to.

This is the nicest thing about living in CA, actually getting to enjoy outdoor living spaces.  Except that EVERYONE is enjoying their outdoor living spaces.  You get a bit of everyone's music, cooking smells, and whatever new strain they are trying out.  As nice as it may sound, there is actually very little peace and no elbow room.   

Even this part of CA has its drawbacks.  I lived on Monterey peninsula for five years.  I really loved it there, but it's EXPENSIVE, gets a lot of tourist traffic, and with the fog/mist, overcast in the winter I struggled with low-grade SAD.

Bottom line, there are positive and negatives wherever you go.  Pick your poison.  We left SoCal for Tulsa and now have more space and peace and disposable income, but I had to spend some of that income to put a storm shelter in the garage.  

Welk Resort

Not going to argue on cost of living, it is expensive, but SAD can’t seriously be a thing unless you are unable to drive 15 minutes inland.  The coastal fog is usually pretty light and 10 miles inland it’s sunny and can even get hot.

And the fruits and vegetables here are so much better than Texas it’s ridiculous.  Food overall is about the same price as Austin  from what I can tell, maybe a little more.

I know it’s not for everyone because if you don’t like the outdoors, golf, or the beach you kind of are limited on activities.  There’s not much in the way of nightlife.  

8 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

You sound like that wind bag on YouTube who is compelled to remind everyone he's in Colorado.

Because I said “glad you’re happy but I’m happy out here?”  I think he heat is getting to you amigo.   Unless,  you’re one of those Texans who thinks that complimenting another state is a slight to Texas? “We got morant beaches in Texas too!!!!!”

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

What do you mean "its cooled down somewhat"? 

Just last year, we experienced the second hottest summer on record in Texas, only behind 2011. Since 2000, only four summers have been cooler than the 20th-century average, and only one of those has happened in the last ten years.

Shit's getting hotter, yo.

I meant cooled down in regards to real estate not temperature.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Because I said “glad you’re happy but I’m happy out here?”  I think he heat is getting to you amigo.   Unless,  you’re one of those Texans who thinks that complimenting another state is a slight to Texas? “We got morant beaches in Texas too!!!!!”

No I was making fun of you because you mention you are in California every 5 posts or so. Especially the weather thread.

It's all good bruh. You be you.

13 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

No I was making fun of you because you mention you are in California every 5 posts or so. Especially the weather thread.

It's all good bruh. You be you.

Blast furnace 2024?  I went and audited it (see what you made me do), I think I have 6 posts, two mentioning California weather, one of which I was dogging it?  But ok, maybe the heat is getting to you.  Stay cool muchacho!!!!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Really not necessary. I'm just making jokes.

stripes lighten GIF

DON"T YOU GETIT THIS ISNT" A SPORT, THIS IS OUR LIVES!!!!!

Edited by troph
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

^

this.  We topped a pretty big milestone in our home equity with this latest round of appraisals.  And are very tempted to sell the house and move.  Obviously interest rates play a factor, but our neighborhood's dirt and ISD are very coveted this time of year. But invariably, I think about the hassle of packing and moving and I just think "Meh, fuck it...we'll stay."  

I had 8 different mailing addresses before graduating high school.  My wife only had 2 (born in one house and moved when she was like 15 months).  I just assumed everybody in America moved all the time, maybe it's a Texas thing-I dunno.  I've had 7 different addresses in Austin alone, in the last 28 years.  We're 18 years in this house.  I want the kids to have continuity, I suppose.  And I'd like to get some bang for my buck for all the shit-ton of money I've paid to live in this 'elite' ISD that we poured money into almost 15 years before our oldest even set foot onto a campus.  But in 13 years time, the little munchkin graduates---we're getting the fuck outta Dodge.  

I gave a presentation about the facade of low-tax/small-government narrative of Texas in a finance talk recently.  But blended it in with philanthropy and education and civic engagement.  

A gentleman asked me, "If you hate Texas so much, why don't you just leave?" 

I've already told my wife that when our youngest graduates high school in a few years and we move, we're selling the house with everything in it.  I hate moving and I'm not going to move a GD thing, ever again. Everything conveys.

The new owners can decide what to do with my boxer briefs and ridiculously huge collection of Star Wars t-shirts.  I'm not taking a thing with me other than the clothes on my back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've already told my wife that when our youngest graduates high school in a few years and we move, we're selling the house with everything in it.  I hate moving and I'm not going to move a GD thing, ever again. Everything conveys.

The new owners can decide what to do with my boxer briefs and ridiculously huge collection of Star Wars t-shirts.  I'm not taking a thing with me other than the clothes on my back.

We've already decided to buy everything new when we move to CO when our youngest graduates.  The only thing I'll take with me is my record collection.  Unless public schools are completely destroyed/banned this next session, we've got 7 years to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

We've already decided to buy everything new when we move to CO when our youngest graduates.  The only thing I'll take with me is my record collection.  Unless public schools are completely destroyed/banned this next session, we've got 7 years to go.

That’s basically what I did when I moved. Whatever fit in the car is what made it. Everything else - sold or donated or given away to friends 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That’s basically what I did when I moved. Whatever fit in the car is what made it. Everything else - sold or donated or given away to friends 

We recently relocated out of Texas and I really wish we did this. We got rid of a decent amount of our belongings but still brought some furniture, kitchen gear, clothes, etc.

Pain in my assholes. /Borat.

Considering the time/effort that goes into packing/loading then doing the reverse, cost of transport, and the fact that we beat PODS up here by like a week, it would have been more cost effective to lose nearly everything.

52 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

My Texas mind cannot comprehend. If I try to extrapolate what I have in Frisco, which is close enough to Little Elm in sqft at least if not the cost, and what I've researched in SoCal (LA, SD or very close suburbs and various OC cities) there isn't anything remotely "comparable". It's Apples and Watermelons, not even oranges.

Unless we are talking about apartments and being a single person, then I think that can potentially make sense?

I mean, you’re viewing it from the vantage point of one of the best deals in the country in terms of affordability, space, schools, etc. California’s median home price just broke $900k. You’re right, it’s not at all comparable but people deal with it (or move to Texas!). 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

sounds like my divorce

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've heard some grumbling about homeowners insurance rates getting pretty high in greater Houston. My cousin in Magnolia was complaining about it last week and then I heard something similar from a friend in the Woodlands. My cousin is currently in the process of having a place built in Blanco and leaving that area of Texas.

56 minutes ago, F250 said:

I've heard some grumbling about homeowners insurance rates getting pretty high in greater Houston. My cousin in Magnolia was complaining about it last week and then I heard something similar from a friend in the Woodlands. My cousin is currently in the process of having a place built in Blanco and leaving that area of Texas.

I've given some anecdotal experience in the insurance thread somewhere. Basically, my insurance guy said take whatever my carrioer offers for a renewal, even if it seems outrageous, becuase lots of carriers won't write new coverage for anyone, and if they do there are major major carve outs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've given some anecdotal experience in the insurance thread somewhere. Basically, my insurance guy said take whatever my carrioer offers for a renewal, even if it seems outrageous, becuase lots of carriers won't write new coverage for anyone, and if they do there are major major carve outs. 

I've been told the same thing.  It's getting crazy in the greater Houston area.  My homeowner's insurance has tripled in the last 5 years.  And in 35 years of home ownership I have filed one claim--about 31 years ago, for a leaking shower pan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Blast furnace 2024?  I went and audited it (see what you made me do), I think I have 6 posts, two mentioning California weather, one of which I was dogging it?  But ok, maybe the heat is getting to you.  Stay cool muchacho!!!!

Well man... what can I tell you... my ass is sitting in Newport Beach right now.  Sign me up for a smaller place.  Every time I set foot in CA, I question things... 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So we are the new Florida?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Seems like everywhere is the new Florida. But yeah, it isn't getting better, that's for sure.

One more Harvey or Ike from insurance carriers being like 

See Ya Haha Bye GIF by This Might Get

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

One more Harvey or Ike from insurance carriers being like 

See Ya Haha Bye GIF by This Might Get

It certainly seems to be trending in that direction. Good news, the Gulf and Houston might have our first named storm as early as next week! 

ThisIsFine.gif

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

geez, sounds like buyers need to make insurability at affordable rates an express condition to close, almost like the financing condition.

our concrete, metal roof, very little wood having house the insurer said yeah don't care, bend over.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Well man... what can I tell you... my ass is sitting in Newport Beach right now.  Sign me up for a smaller place.  Every time I set foot in CA, I question things... 

those people suck 

you started a great thread about Austin.  Made me miss it.  I’d consider moving back to Austin under the right circumstances 

Edited by closetohumping

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

those people suck 

you started a great thread about Austin.  Made me miss it.  I’d consider moving back to Austin under the right circumstances 

I'd consider staying under the right circumstances.

10 minutes ago, troph said:

geez, sounds like buyers need to make insurability at affordable rates an express condition to close, almost like the financing condition.

our concrete, metal roof, very little wood having house the insurer said yeah don't care, bend over.

SOunds like a great way to make sure no one ever gets another house. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

SOunds like a great way to make sure no one ever gets another house. 

no it's a buyer making it their choice to walk away and keep their earnest money if the insurance cost is 5x what they expected.

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

People suing their way to a new roof every time there is a little hail gets expensive.

My understanding is that insurance companies have gotten quite saavy about some of that. Mostly by finding all kinds of ways to deny claims when damage is done by a "named storm." So basically, we'll insure you for everything except a tropical storm or above. Haven't figured out how to dodge a derecho or tornado yet, or hail, I guess. But seems like there should be an evening out. 

This isn't just homeowners. My car insurance went up 40% and I haven't had a ticket of claim in over 10 years. My insurance guy basically just said "Yeah, that was the best deal we could get for you when we tested the carriers and honestly, you're lucky that's all it went up compared to others we've seen."

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

My car insurance went up 40% and I haven't had a ticket of claim in over 10 years. My insurance guy basically just said "Yeah, that was the best deal we could get for you when we tested the carriers and honestly, you're lucky that's all it went up compared to others we've seen."

Stop using Fred Loya.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5