Tell me about ou

Texas007

• 3 weeks later...

I work with so many “dirt burglers” in SA that it’s tough at times for all sports, men/women, but at least we’ve had the leaving the B12 in common.

OU still sucks, regardless of the time of day!

Hook’em!!!

On 5/5/2024 at 12:27 AM, Spider2YBanana said:

OU is gonna suck shit through a pipe this year and next. BV getting fired after '25. Glad those dipshits are limping into our new conference while we're currently on our A game. 

As long as we quit fucking around drop the hammer on them this year and next. God give me back to back wins over Oklahoma(or get to where we can start beating them 3 or 4 times in a row and I can die a happy man.)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

As long as we quit fucking around drop the hammer on them this year and next. God give me back to back wins over Oklahoma(or get to where we can start beating them 3 or 4 times in a row and I can die a happy man.)

Absolutely. Our roster is getting better and better and we should start taking over that rivalry as it should. Be I don't want to be on my death bed where we're still stepping on our dicks when we should put the game away. 

Yes, without the rough start last year, we should’ve beat them. I work in SA with too many “dirt burglers” to last during all sports. I’m surrounded by aggy and dirt burglers on a daily basis, so Lord help me. Less than 20% of us are Longhorn fans.

It’s 5:00 and OU still sucks!

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2024 at 3:55 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

You sure about that?

I was wrong, there is a 3rd player that hasn’t come out yet because he wasn’t arrested 

Edited by Pdawg88
  • Haha 1

Have to think this is one of those... "we need to show commitment to fight the short lease rumors affecting recruiting" but really not change much on the current contract.  Could see where is papered as an incentive ... win x over next two years and this the contract we'd be working on, if not we're going to stick to current contract buyout terms

20 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Oklahoma University appears to be bankrupt.

https://www.ou.edu/insideou/articles/norman-financial-situation

OU may well be broke, but that article references Gallogly who hasn't been OU pres. since retiring '19. 

Their financial situation may have changed some in the last 5 years.

Edited by SamsCorner

The Inside OU post above is from at least five years ago, but the problems remain. Here's a more recent discussion from September 2023. The source is full cloakroom and very unreliable on cloakroom topics, but this one doesn't appear to be affected by that, so I take it is relatively reliable. I mean, it's pretty obvious at $1B in debt doesn't get resolved in a matter of a few years, especially with the state continuing to cut more and more funding.

https://ocpathink.org/post/analysis/wall-street-journal-highlights-ous-unfettered-spending-spree#:~:text=OU has %241 billion in,that OU effectively defrauded banks.

WALL STREET JOURNAL HIGHLIGHTS OU’S ‘UNFETTERED SPENDING SPREE'

The University of Oklahoma recently made national news—for the wrong reasons.

An investigation by The Wall Street Journal (“Colleges Spend Like There’s No Tomorrow. ‘These Places Are Just Devouring Money.’”) found that some of the United States’ best-known public universities “have been on an unfettered spending spree” with the bill passed on to students—and OU was identified as one of the worst offenders.

Between 2002 and 2022, the Journal found enrollment at OU increased 15 percent, but tuition increased by 36 percent even after adjusting for inflation. And, once student fees were included, the combined rate of growth was even more dramatic.

“At the University of Oklahoma, per-student tuition and fees rose 166%, the most of any flagship,” the Journal reported.

During that time OU spent tens of millions of dollars acquiring, remodeling, and maintaining an Italian monastery.

Sadly, things may be even worse than The Wall Street Journal report indicated. OU has $1 billion in debt, and one official whose community bank bought bonds to finance a housing project at the college has complained that OU effectively defrauded banks.

At the same time, OU is spending substantial sums of money in court fighting to keep citizens from viewing two taxpayer-funded reports prepared by the Jones Day law firm regarding alleged decades of false claims about OU’s fundraising and allegations of sexual harassment by former OU President David Boren. (The university spent $1 million in taxpayer funds on those reports.)

OU officials’ responses to The Wall Street Journal are bizarre.

In an Aug. 10 email, OU President Joseph Harroz, Jr., responded that “the average annual cost of tuition and fees at OU, after factoring in discounts, has decreased by 6% for Oklahoma residents compared to five years ago.”

That’s only a drop in the bucket given the 166% increase over two decades, and it glosses over the fact that the modest reduction cited by Harroz occurred (in part) over his objection.

In June 2022, Harroz asked the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents to increase tuition rates by 3 percent. The Regents shot down that idea and instead maintained current rates for all but out-of-state students.

The response of one OU regent in a column published in The Oklahoman was no better.

Notably, both Harroz and the regent stressed that OU will be playing sports in the Southeastern Conference next year. Apparently, SEC football games are supposed to make up for the 166% increase in tuition and fees.

I like sports as much as anyone. But the core reason our state colleges exist is to provide an affordable education that allows people to move up the income ladder and provide for their families. If OU’s poor financial management closes the door of opportunity to Oklahoma students, weekend football games won’t make up for a lifetime of lost earnings.

So, tragic for a lot of reasons. What are some other institutions that have followed similar paths? Is there a way to compare apples to apples and find the outliers? OU, no matter how much they suck (it’s 10:50 and OU still sux), this is not the only university in this situation.

There may be several (past) views on how each institution approached the similar issue. For example, Texas A&M increased attendance at the expense of capital expansion, cramming as many students into substandard structures, and online classes. I won’t mention the guaranteed contracts…(lol).

OU took a different approach, “build it and they will come”!

We as a state, send large amounts of our future resources to Alabama, Oklahoma, and other state schools fighting similar issues. Hell, UT, fagetaboutit…top 6%. Great problem to have, but, that has its own issues. Cost per student is a good metric, but not the end all be all.

Not sure where I ended with this, but, Holy Cow , Batman…. WTF???1!

On 6/26/2024 at 8:24 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Oklahoma University appears to be bankrupt.

https://www.ou.edu/insideou/articles/norman-financial-situation

One of the first things that article mentions is synthetic debt, which are most often CDO's and those are incredibly risky. Its that kind of unregulated backroom shit that led to the financial crisis - the packaging of debt instruments into tiers and selling them off as "investments" when all they were was dogshit. There is no ownership of the underlining asset and this was accomplished through derivatives aka swaps.

The article doesn't state how much of that $1B of debt is synthetic, but...YIKES

15 hours ago, redswingline said:

One of the first things that article mentions is synthetic debt, which are most often CDO's and those are incredibly risky. Its that kind of unregulated backroom shit that led to the financial crisis - the packaging of debt instruments into tiers and selling them off as "investments" when all they were was dogshit. There is no ownership of the underlining asset and this was accomplished through derivatives aka swaps.

The article doesn't state how much of that $1B of debt is synthetic, but...YIKES

Awesome insight - you should write a book and then make a movie on this!