Tell me about ou

Texas007

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

All the ‘we should never lose to OU again’ talk is hilarious.  Considering your best team in a couple decades just lost to them.  Lol

Also the financial smack talk is fun.  That’s something I love…

Gotta hand it to OU. Gabriel certainly carried the Sooners that day. I reckon he’ll be a Sooner hero forever. I hope we have a better answer for him this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Gotta hand it to OU. Gabriel certainly carried the Sooners that day. I reckon he’ll be a Sooner hero forever. I hope we have a better answer for him this year. 

A mobile QB was our kryptonite last season. As I was replying to this post my youngest who is home from college just rolled into the room wearing a sooners shirt. I've failed as a father.

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2024 at 1:13 AM, redswingline said:

One of the first things that article mentions is synthetic debt, which are most often CDO's and those are incredibly risky. Its that kind of unregulated backroom shit that led to the financial crisis - the packaging of debt instruments into tiers and selling them off as "investments" when all they were was dogshit. There is no ownership of the underlining asset and this was accomplished through derivatives aka swaps.

The article doesn't state how much of that $1B of debt is synthetic, but...YIKES

Incredibly risky for purchasers, yes.  For issuers, to the extent they control the securitization (to my knowledge very little or not at all), not so risky.  One of the worst aspects of securitization is that the underlying debt doesn't have the usual risk protections that junky debt usually includes (high interest, etc.).  Junk bonds are at least known as junk from the outset.

On a broader note, it's pretty well established how the Okie lege feels about public education (or at least some of their appointed officials) and they have no PUF-equivalent, so it's no surprise that they're suffering under deficit finance.  Enrollment is increasing thanks to Texas and _% admissions, but they're offering so many incentives, it's not helping the bottom line.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, statsman said:

Someone's a little late to the party. Gabriel is gone. Transferred to Oregon 

57 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Oh, no! Whatever will they do? 

At least they still have the two coordinators that schemed up that great game plan. 

9 hours ago, F250 said:

A mobile QB was our kryptonite last every season for God knows how long.

Fify.

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Jackson Arnold, now. I like that matchup. 

At least they still have the two coordinators that schemed up that great game plan. 

Um... You don't follow this whole CFB thing, do you?

Posted (edited)

Oh, no! Whatever will they do? 

Lebby is now the head coach at Mississippi State , which makes that game a bit more interesting now 

OU promoted Rashlee , so that's probably a coordinator who had some role in the game plan 

Edited by BigHornedLurker
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, statsman said:

Having their OL and DBs hold on every play? Hopefully the SEC refs don’t let them do that anymore.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  Jesus you guys… Piss poor performance.  I guess it is a lot easier to pick on aggy…

That game hurt. We dropped to #8, OU rose to #6, taking our pole position for the Big 12 title with them. All we could hope for was a rematch in the Big 12 title game. 

It would have happened if OU could have just slipped past KU or OSU. 

16 minutes ago, statsman said:

That game hurt. We dropped to #8, OU rose to #6, taking our pole position for the Big 12 title with them. All we could hope for was a rematch in the Big 12 title game. 

It would have happened if OU could have just slipped past KU or OSU. 

Yep.  Definitely should have won more b12 titles.  Damn shame.  

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Oklahoma hires first-ever GM, adds partnership with long-time NFL executive

Brent Venables program is bringing in Curtis Lofton, partnering with former Eagles VP Jake Rosenberg

JOHN BRICE        20 HOURS AGO

Within the past month, Oklahoma leadership further locked up head coach Brent Venables with a contract extension.

Now, the Sooners -- officially residents of the Southeastern Conference as of July 1 -- also are bringing an all-new approach to the Oklahoma football program's recruiting department.

Thursday, OU announced that it has tabbed Curtis Lofton as the Sooners's first-ever general manager and also announced "a partnership" with Jake Rosenberg, a veteran NFL executive who's spent the majority of his career with the Philadelphia Eagles in a variety of roles.

"We're incredibly excited for this new setup," OU Athletics Director Joe Castiglione said in a statement. "The instability we've seen in college athletics the past few years has presented both responsibilities and opportunities for us to refine our focus on how we evaluate, attract and keep talented athletes."

In addition to Lofton and Rosenberg, Oklahoma also formally announced Chuck Lillie as the program's assistant general manager, as well as Jolie Ale as the new director of recruiting strategy. Natalie Woch and Emily Jones also have been selected to run key components of the recruiting department.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/7/11/ou-announces-new-football-recruiting-structure-and-engagement-with-former-eagles-vp-of-football-administration

Oh, are we doing historical reminiscing?

I was reflecting on how readily the OU program welcomes thugs, criminals and miscreants. They embrace them in every role. I thought it might be interesting to enumerate some of them. 
Part I- James Hale

James Hale is a (the?) 247 correspondent for OU. He does OU sports radio. He has been their Garvin, their Ketchum, their Chip Brown. 

And he is a felon. 

https://oklahoman.com/article/2257752/c ... bezzlement

When he was first starting out in the “insider” game, Hale’s wife embezzled mid six figures from her boss. Hale counseled and supported her. They both went to jail. 

Hale was welcomed back into the OU fold after jail. How? Why? It’s not like he offered any special talents or value. 

All I can think is he offered positives valued by the OU fanbase and program- lack of scruples, willingness to look the other way and not be a stoolie 

There is no shame in dishonesty for the Sooners. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Part II- Dusty Dvoracek. Dvoracek was first arrested for being a drunk minor in Norman in 2002. He was riding around with Brent Rawls and Jake Hager (now known as Jack Swagger, a WWE “champ”). He made all B12 in 2003, but in 2004, he put an old HS friend in the hospital after brutally beating him in a drunken rage. This kept him from finishing the 2004 season. 

2004 was his fifth year (he redshirted 2000), But OU applied for a medical redshirt. The medical condition? Dvoracek’s drinking problem. The NCAA granted it, and Dusty was eligible for 2005, when he made all B12 again. 

After a short NFL career, Dvoracek was arrested again, in 2010, for being drunk and disorderly. Consider this- the reason for the 2004 medical redshirt was to handle his drinking problem, his alcoholism. Now, he’s drinking (too much) again in 2010. Either he has relapsed, or he was never a clinical alcoholic. 

He started working in local broadcasts, and is now a color guy on ESPNU. He has done Texas games before and probably will again. One wonders why they could not hire someone without an arrest record, or without at least a multiple arrest record. At Texas, this is the track Acho’s career has taken. Again, OU is bizarro Texas- just add a crime al record.

Part III- David Boren

The most legendary OU President was George Cross, who famously said he wanted a “university the football team could be proud of”. Boren is second. 

Boren has been a US Senator, and was considered a conservative Democrat. Despite being twice married, and with two children, he couldn’t duck the rumors he was gay (NTTIAWWT). 

He left the Senate and was named OU president in the early ‘90s. His term was successful, as he improved th school’s reputation and increased the endowment from $300 million to $1.15 billion. I had posted on this board before that he had OU headed to AAU membership. 

Two late events tarnish his reputation (or, more precisely, revealed his character). One was his advocacy of Joe Mixon after he beat the shit out of that girl. He personally mentored Mixon, and pretty much ignored the victim (also an OU student). He said he believed in second chances. Given how he couldn’t expel SAE members fast enough after video of them singing a racist song got out, it’s clear that he primarily believes in second chances where they help OU Football and zero tolerance where that helps OU football. 

His second scandal was being revealed as a sexual predator of male OU employees of his office. 

There are other things- some accounting irregularities and lying about stats to get a higher USN&WR ranking- but that’s run of the mill chicanery for Oklahoma. 

I don’t think he was ever arrested and he does have a statue on campus. Fitting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Part IV

The amazing story of the Sooner football player that was arrested for pimping out a Sooner cheerleader. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collegefoo ... eader/amp/

You can google the pics of Micah Madison Parker- she’s cute. I don’t remember the story from two years ago, but you find amazing things when you google “Sooner arrest”

• Hook 'Em 1

Part V - Brian Bosworth. Talented player, but even more talented at self promotion. He made outrageous statements, claiming to be candid, but when popped for anabolic steroids (muscle developing), claimed they were prescribed for injury (doctors don’t prescribe that kind or that much). He wrote a book where he claimed to sabotage cars on his summer job assembly line, as well as claiming to get paid by boosters. Later, he would deny those claims, and then later, take back his denials. He is a classic narcissist, every action focused on profiting him. 

Switzer had to boot Bosworth from the team, because he was inviting attention from the NCAA (40 years ago, crooked programs actually feared the NCAA). The OU sports website celebrates Bosworth’s achievements now, but at least he doesn’t have a statue. Yet. 

He was arrested in 2009, for DUI. 

Bo Jackson says that after he trucked him in the NFL, he told Bosworth, “Next time bring your bus fare”.

Part VI- Joe Don Looney and Lance Rentzel (yes, the OU program is such garbage that we have to double up on some numbers). 

They were teammates and friends at OU. Looney was a freshman at UT, a top recruit from FW, who flunked out after one semester (four F’s and a D), and that pretty much tells you a lot about Royal and his program. Looney was Texas’ best punter when he arrived (and Royal loved him some punting), but nobody was going to clear the way for Looney (who never had trouble staying academically eligible anywhere else). Looney then starred in JC, enrolled in OU and made All-American in 1962, and was booted in 1963 after the Horns crushed the Sooners (rumor is he slugged a GA). He was drafted high (remarkable combo of strength and speed) but washed out at four NFL teams in three years for insubordination. He was drafted (sued the government), discharged, and washed out of the NFL again. He was arrested on a weapons charge, followed a swami, and died in a motorcycle wreck. 

There are two tellings of this story. The popular one is of a maverick, misplaced in the structure of big time football. That’s charitable. The second interpretation looks at his beatings administered to other, smaller guys in HS and college, his early-mover use of steroids, his arrest on gun charges, and his rep as the enforcer for the swami (who sexually assaulted his female followers), and you see a guy that was a narcissist at best, a sociopath at worst. 

Rentzel has a cleaner rep, until he was arrested for exposing himself to a little girl in Dallas, which then brought to light an earlier instance of the same from Minnesota. It was laughed at when it happened- I think now we know more about such acts, and that Rentzel was perhaps a monster. We can only pray that these instances were the only ones.

Part VII: Billy Sims, Adrian Peterson and Joe Mixon. All star running backs, all arrested. Sims was arrested for not paying child support (to get arrested for this, you have to be a whole lot worse than missing a couple of checks- after all, the primary goal is to get income for the child’s care, and that can’t happen from prison). 

Peterson was arrested for whipping his four year old son with a switch, leaving a couple of dozen bloody streaks of welts. Peterson is known for his size and power, and the thought of him hauling back and swinging that switch on that naked little boy (who loved and trusted him) two dozen times is sickening. 

Joe Mixon got a misdemeanor assault (should have been aggravated assault, as the arresting officer admitted) for knocking out a co-ed who defended a gay friend. She had several facial bones broken by the fist and by the table her face hit as she was collapsing from the knock out.

Part VIII: Charles Thompson, Nigel Clay, Bernard Hall, Jerry Parks, Greg Roberts and Jimbo Elrod. 

Here is what you need to understand about OU football- when a player is arrested (and there are a lot of arrests- how so many intoxication related crimes happen in a 3.2 state, I’ll never know) in Oklahoma, the initial charge never sticks. Rape victims drop charges. Misdemeanor (bruises) assaults go away. Aggravated (broken bones) assaults become misdemeanors. Posssession goes away. Possession with the intent to distribute becomes possession. You get the picture. I don’t think it is quite as nefarious as Baylor, where victims are threatened. I think that top attorneys represent players and victims are offered enducements to drop charges. It’s still pretty shitty- “Look, you know nothing is going to happen to these guys. Why don’t you just take this (half the amount of cash given as walking around money to a 3 star recruit from Broken Arrow they are mildly interested in) and get on with your life”

The players listed above are the OU players (and ex-players) that actually we’re convicted. Charles Thompson (starting QB) was selling dope. Clay and Hall raped a visitor the the athletic dorm. Parks shot a teammate. Roberts, after his pro career faltered, was trying to get a drug running business going (Roberts was also accused, along with David Overstreet, of raping a girl but the charges were dropped when the witness stopped cooperating). Elrod, another retired NFLer, was selling dope. 

If you play the game of googling about any OU player, and the word “arrest”, you get hits on roughly half of them. I only wanted to list the felony convictions here, and I’m sure I missed some.

Also, of the three Sooners mentioned above, three of them are considered welcome onto the sidelines and practices when they wish, and three are pariahs. Can you guess the differentiator? Is it severity of crime? No- some rapists are welcome while others are persona non grata. 

Could it be native Okies vs. out of staters? No, again there is a mix. 

Answer- the three convicted felons that are still heroes of the program (Thompson, Roberts and Elrod) were all actual stars in college. The three pariahs were backups. And that tells you all you need to know about what OU values.

I thought about Bud Wilkinson as the subject of one of these countdown posts. Yes, he lied (he lied a lot in 1963, denying he planned to run for the Senate), and cheated (a couple of serious NCAA penalties for buying players). Yes, he dumped his wife in his 60’s, and married a 28 year old. However, like John Blake, he was never arrested (key alone convicted), so he doesn’t make the list. 

Part IX is Barry Switzer. Switzer was arrested in 1984 for DWI (plea bargained down to a misdemeanor). He was arrested in 1996 for carrying a loaded gun to the airport. He actually spent time in Securities court for insider trading (he avoided jail by using the Okie tactic of “lying”, and counting on influential boosters). And, of course, he spent time in family court. He cheated on his wife, Kay, a lot. One of his flings was with Criss Lacewell, the wife of his DC, Larry Lacewell. Amazingly, the Lacewell marriage survived, but the Switzer marriage did not. The Lacewell employment by OU didn’t make it either (rumor is that Lacewell sabotaged Orange Bowl prep, leading to a huge upset by Arkansas). 

Who does these things? A real scumbag, that’s who. 

Switzer was a successful coach. He achieved his success by cheating. He said that the three components of his program were-

1. Run the wishbone (he neglects to ever mention that Fairbanks prevailed upon Sooner alum Royal to teach it to Switzer)
2. Recruit Texas (he happily engaged in bidding wars with other cheaters. OU was better than TAMU, SMU and UH at keeping it discreet)
3. Recruit African-Americans at every position (note- for all his self promotion, Barry Switzer never integrated dick. Meanwhile, the maligned Royal integrated the SWC in 1964). 

Switzer is trash. There is no friend, family member, employer, employee or player that he has not been willing to discard or betray when it suited his needs. 

As far as coaching ability- he has shown in college and the NFL that, given an overwhelming advantage in talent, he can win most of the time. Given merely a decided advantage in talent, he can win about half the time. 

They do say he is very charming in person.

1 hour ago, Texas007 said:

YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW

I mean there's way better examples than the one of Charles being pinched for blow.  If I had a dollar for every millionaire with that much blow in their pocket on the reg every single weekend in this country, I'd have another few million to have fun with.  I'm sure you know they treat black people just a tad differently in regards to drugs...

Fuck, I'd be much more embarrassed about a tranny, going by 'head honcho', calling my first round pride and joy of UT out for unpaid 'services'.  Woof 

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I mean there's way better examples than the one of Charles being pinched for blow.  If I had a dollar for every millionaire with that much blow in their pocket on the reg every single weekend in this country, I'd have another few million to have fun with.  I'm sure you know they treat black people just a tad differently in regards to drugs...

Fuck, I'd be much more embarrassed about a tranny, going by 'head honcho', calling my first round pride and joy of UT out for unpaid 'services'.  Woof 

Can you explain in plain English what you're referring to in that last paragraph? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Byron Murphy is being extorted by a woman who was formerly identified as a man and touts her oral sex proficiency via an online nickname.

Okay, I follow. I thought that was debunked as a known NFL scam artist under police investigation already? 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Okay, I follow. I thought that was debunked as a known NFL scam artist under police investigation already? 

It wasn't debunked as far as the relationship.  Even if a relationship happened that's prostitution and extortion so the police would definitely investigate...

Charles is a great guys, he’s my sons 7v7 coach. He admits his faults and it’s proud of them. I consider Charles a good friend. He spends time with me and my family at our lake house a bunch and is a good dude to hang out with. But I get the hate, I had my opinions of him before I got to know him, based on reputation. Couldn’t have been more wrong. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

BS, Chi-town. There’s nothing that would embarrass you. 

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Isn't "Fuck OU" sufficient around these parts?

Hate, Let me tell you how much I hate since I saw this wall of text | Wall  of Text | Know Your Meme

No shit.  Fuck OU.  They suck.  30000 word essays make it seem people are fairly unadjusted in, you know, the real world.  
Hell, I’ve given more to UT football and 100x that at Dell Seton UT but apparently I should be super embarrassed by the football team at my Alma Mater.  Again, these are not serious people.  

1 hour ago, Pdawg88 said:

Charles is a great guys, he’s my sons 7v7 coach. He admits his faults and it’s proud of them. I consider Charles a good friend. He spends time with me and my family at our lake house a bunch and is a good dude to hang out with. But I get the hate, I had my opinions of him before I got to know him, based on reputation. Couldn’t have been more wrong. 

You should ask him how he and his son trashed our program. I really hope Casey is the starter by the ou game. 

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

No shit.  Fuck OU.  They suck.  30000 word essays make it seem people are fairly unadjusted in, you know, the real world.  
Hell, I’ve given more to UT football and 100x that at Dell Seton UT but apparently I should be super embarrassed by the football team at my Alma Mater.  Again, these are not serious people.  

We appreciate your money, Doc.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

You should ask him how he and his son trashed our program. I really hope Casey is the starter by the ou game. 

We appreciate your money, Doc.

I’ve had that conversation many times. And I will tell you with all honesty he has never said one bad word about Texas. He thinks Sark is an amazing coach, and he has told me that he thinks Texas is going to be really, really good this year. I think the writing was on the wall for Casey with Ewers coming in. But again he has never said a bad thing about Texas or any of the coaches around me. 

1 hour ago, Pdawg88 said:

I’ve had that conversation many times. And I will tell you with all honesty he has never said one bad word about Texas. He thinks Sark is an amazing coach, and he has told me that he thinks Texas is going to be really, really good this year. I think the writing was on the wall for Casey with Ewers coming in. But again he has never said a bad thing about Texas or any of the coaches around me. 

sounds like a bitch pussy IMO

• Hook 'Em 1