Tell me about ou

Texas007

I so badly want to see that program falter, but…

OU, for all its foibles and struggles, is 13-3 over its last 16 games. 

Hasn’t lost a home game by double digits since September 2016 (#3 tOSU)

There is a lot of pride in that program, and their fans are spoiled and entitled to a degree that would shame Texas fans. Cracks are starting to show in that foundation, and it’s not going unnoticed. There is a whole lot to play out, and if Tennessee wins (by no means certain), it is only one step on a very long staircase. (A very enjoyable step, should it happen)

23 minutes ago, statsman said:

I so badly want to see that program falter, but…

Hasn’t lost a home game by double digits since September 2016 (#3 tOSU)

There is a lot of pride in that program, and their fans are spoiled and entitled to a degree that would shame Texas fans. Cracks are starting to show in that foundation, and it’s not going unnoticed. There is a whole lot to play out, and if Tennessee wins (by no means certain), it is only one step on a very long staircase. (A very enjoyable step, should it happen)

They are going to get run off the field by Tennessee.

• Like 1

108th in total offense after three home games against Temple, Houston and Tulane. Nah, nothing to worry about. 

The turnover margin is putting a lot of lipstick on that pig. Let's see if it's sustainable. 

Tennessee is touted to have the best defensive line in the sec, maybe the country. OU was a mess on their oline  even before all the injuries. Doesn't seem like a great matchup for the sooners. But night game at home and all that...

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, horn009 said:

I could end up being wrong, but I think that Tennessee is significantly overrated. Two of the three teams they've faced so far are FCS teams. Ole Miss also runs up the score on FCS teams only to get brought back down to earth when conference play starts. I know that they beat NC State, but go and look at NC State's other two games outside of Tennessee. It wouldn't surprise me if OU gives them a scare or even outright wins. 

I only watched the first half of the Tennessee/NC State game, and I know the Vols ran away with the game in the 4th quarter.  But that NC State team lacks speed and athleticism, and their QB is extremely average.  

Given how abysmal OU's offense looks, Tennessee might beat the Sooners by two scores, and I'm still not sure what that will tell us about the Vols.  But we will know that OU sucks.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

108th in total offense after three home games against Temple, Houston and Tulane. Nah, nothing to worry about. 

The turnover margin is putting a lot of lipstick on that pig. Let's see if it's sustainable. 

Tennessee is touted to have the best defensive line in the sec, maybe the country. OU was a mess on their oline  even before all the injuries. Doesn't seem like a great matchup for the sooners. But night game at home and all that...

One stat I like is that OU has allowed 3 sacks in each of the first 3 games. What does that mean against Tennessee? I’m expecting 6+. 

39 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I only watched the first half of the Tennessee/NC State game, and I know the Vols ran away with the game in the 4th quarter.  But that NC State team lacks speed and athleticism, and their QB is extremely average.  

Given how abysmal OU's offense looks, Tennessee might beat the Sooners by two scores, and I'm still not sure what that will tell us about the Vols.  But we will know that OU sucks.

Both Tennessee and Ohio State should have to play tougher competition before they get ranked as high as they currently are. 

2 hours ago, statsman said:

They played two ranked teams over that span and lost the only two remotely difficult true road games they had. Excuse me for not being particularly impressed by going 13-3 against this murderer's row:

Arkansas State
SMU
@Tulsa
@Cincinnati
Iowa State
(3) Texas 
UCF
@Kansas (L)
@Oklahoma State (L)
West Virginia
@BYU
Texas Christian
(14) Arizona (L)
Temple
Houston
Tulane

Nobody has gotten more mileage out of winning one Texas/OU game than Venables. Good for him, I suppose.

• Hook 'Em 1

OU is not a pansy, and Tenn hasn't played anybody, but I think the HC dual is an important angle. Heupel may not talk about it, but he owes OU payback. He has had plenty of time to watch a Venables defense from behind the scenes. He has had nothing to keep him from working a little OU prep into every practice since last year. If I were a betting man, I would lay the points.

51 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Holding not working?

They've actually had at least 2 holding calls against them out of the 18 penalties they've been levied. That might be more holding penalties than most seasons in the past for those cheaters.

One guy to watch on the OU OL is RG Fibeche Nwaiwu (transfer from NT). The guy is a penalty machine and a source of a lot of the defensive pressures and sacks. The combo of him and the 3rd string C, Bates, is not favorable for the okies against UTenn.

46 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

That 100% depends on if officials decide to call or ignore holding.

The SEC calls holding, man. You can stop having the Big 12 reffing nightmares, I promise.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Anyone in my family under 12 is a hardcore UT fan so it’s pretty easy to stomach UT doing well.  Just hoping OU is competitive in their bigger games.  Most of our cousins went to UT and we are all Texas born.  

Why is everyone around you smarter than you?

• Haha 2

This seems a bit like our game against Michigan in terms of talent disparity and a likely outcome. Jackson Arnold has more talent than Davis Warren, Quinn had more experience in big games and road atmospheres than Nico does, and it’s a night game, so maybe it’s closer. But if Tennessee jumps out to 24-3 halftime lead like we did, don’t expect Heupel to put the car in park for the second half like Sark did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Jackson Arnold has thrown an interception at a key moment in each of the last two games. He's had to deal with a lot of pressure and was able to escape and run his way out of more than the gaudy 9-sacks-through-3-games stat already indicates. 

If the Tennessee DL is really as good as advertised, this might actually get ugly. That considered, the heavily lauded James Pierce may want to show up for this game if he's going to live up to his preseason AA billing. Dude has an assisted tackle, one of those, and no solos and zero sacks. Ooofff.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Anyone in my family under 12 is a hardcore UT fan so it’s pretty easy to stomach UT doing well.  Just hoping OU is competitive in their bigger games.  Most of our cousins went to UT and we are all Texas born.  

I love living in a world where ChiTownDoc is the black sheep of his family and is confronted every time he interacts with them about his poor life choices. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

I will be shocked if OU manages 30 points against Tennessee.  The Tenn defense is at least good, even if the competition has made them look great.

I would bet a lot OU won’t score 30.  Their team total is likely 24 or less.  Their only chance is holding Tn under 28.  So, very low chance they win.  Small chance they keep it close.  Likely will buy to -6.5 and drop some serious coin on Tn.  

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Why is everyone around you smarter than you?

I’ve always wondered that.  But I’m a lucky SOB.  No complaints here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I did a little exercise. To rank game difficulties, for Texas, OU and TAMU, I took the opponents’ Sagarin Predictor ratings, and subtracted or added three points for home and away. This is to serve as a rough metric for how tough a scheduled matchup is. 

For Texas, there are only three games of reasonable difficulty. The toughest appears to be UGA (88.92), followed by TAMU (86.18) and OU (83.87). 

Now, OU really did get screwed on schedule. Their game this weekend, Tennessee, has a rating of 84.99, higher than Texas’ third most difficult matchup. What sucks for OU is that this weekend’s matchup looks to be their sixth most difficult, with @LSU, @Mizzou, Bama, @Ole Miss and Texas all looking more difficult. (You hate to see it). @Auburn rated just a tick lower than Tennessee. 

TAMU really got an easy schedule. Their toughest game is hosting Texas, followed by @Auburn (OU’s seventh toughest), hosting Mizzou and @S. Carolina. It really is an easy schedule. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, statsman said:

TAMU really got an easy schedule. Their toughest game is hosting Texas, followed by @Auburn (OU’s seventh toughest), hosting Mizzou and @S. Carolina. It really is an easy schedule. 

Which of course they’ll fuck up, and all is right in the world. 

On 9/17/2024 at 10:03 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They played two ranked teams over that span and lost the only two remotely difficult true road games they had. Excuse me for not being particularly impressed by going 13-3 against this murderer's row:

Arkansas State
SMU
@Tulsa
@Cincinnati
Iowa State
(3) Texas 
UCF
@Kansas (L)
@Oklahoma State (L)
West Virginia
@BYU
Texas Christian
(14) Arizona (L)
Temple
Houston
Tulane

Nobody has gotten more mileage out of winning one Texas/OU game than Venables. Good for him, I suppose.

Well if you’re gonna win one…

And you guys went over a decade without going 13-3 vs the same schedule in your wandering the desert phase…so I wouldn’t blame a UT fan for being impressed for this being a ‘wander the desert’ phase of a program.  

Anyways, 42-17 Tn then a tricky game at Barn.  Then you guys get your sweet revenge.  Mark it down.  

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I did a little exercise. To rank game difficulties, for Texas, OU and TAMU, I took the opponents’ Sagarin Predictor ratings, and subtracted or added three points for home and away. This is to serve as a rough metric for how tough a scheduled matchup is. 

For Texas, there are only three games of reasonable difficulty. The toughest appears to be UGA (88.92), followed by TAMU (86.18) and OU (83.87). 

Now, OU really did get screwed on schedule. Their game this weekend, Tennessee, has a rating of 84.99, higher than Texas’ third most difficult matchup. What sucks for OU is that this weekend’s matchup looks to be their sixth most difficult, with @LSU, @Mizzou, Bama, @Ole Miss and Texas all looking more difficult. (You hate to see it). @Auburn rated just a tick lower than Tennessee. 

The only thing that makes me feel any better is the aggy thread.  OU could lose 100 straight and not be that embarrassing.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

OU’s defense will be crying like a Kentucky db did after one of Spurrier’s patented score runups in the Swamp circa 1995 - “Man, it was like being trapped inside a video game where you couldn’t hit RESET!”

Or like Stoops did to a certain team a few times.  Think those were even worse.  Can’t fully recall details.  

From Sooner Scoop:

• WR Nic Anderson: Probable
  • WR Andrel Anthony: Probable
  • DB Kendel Dolby: Probable
  • OL Troy Everett: Probable
  • OL Jake Taylor: Questionable
  • OL Branson Hickman: Questionable
  • TE Kade McIntyre: Questionable
  • LB Dasan McCullough: Doubtful
  • OL Geirean Hatchett: Out
  • DB Gentry Williams: Out
  • WR Jalil Farooq: Out
  • WR Jayden Gibson: Out

11 minutes ago, statsman said:

From Sooner Scoop:

• WR Nic Anderson: Probable
  • WR Andrel Anthony: Probable
  • DB Kendel Dolby: Probable
  • OL Troy Everett: Probable
  • OL Jake Taylor: Questionable
  • OL Branson Hickman: Questionable
  • TE Kade McIntyre: Questionable
  • LB Dasan McCullough: Doubtful
  • OL Geirean Hatchett: Out
  • DB Gentry Williams: Out
  • WR Jalil Farooq: Out
  • WR Jayden Gibson: Out

Good blOU coaching:  Doubtful 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The only thing that makes me feel any better is the aggy thread.  OU could lose 100 straight and not be that embarrassing.  

I think it is questionable, at best, that by the time OU plays them, both LSU and Mizzou will be tougher matchups than Tennessee

Edit:  Well shit...I quoted the wrong post.  And I'm too lazy to go back and fix it.  Y'all catch my drift...

Edited by MirrOlure

As for the Texas schedule, when opponents were announced in June 2023, MSU had just come off a 9-4 season and Florida had been 6-7 in Napier’s first season. I don’t think anyone expected both of them to challenge Vandy for the wooden spoon.