Tell me about ou

Texas007

I mean, I guess Venables’ summary is more palatable than:

”So, yeah, Dillon was our two time player of the year, so there was a real opportunity when he decided to play another year. However, other schools were in his ear and he wanted a raise. Meanwhile, Arnold’s family was saying that he was ready to play and was done sitting. 
“Plus, Gabriel was asking what we were going to do to have someone block for him. 
“So, we decided to go with Arnold and wish Gabriel farewell. And that freed up money we could use to get better at other positions, like DT and WR”. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is slow-motion train wreck shit at this point. 

When someone has an answer for everything, and that answer is uniformly positive, you know they're fucked. The inability to tell the truth about the state of his team will make people more angry when later season beatdowns start happening.

What will they do when Hawkins tries to do what freshmen do and gets himself hurt trying to make some hero play? Go back to Arnold? 

• Like 1

A quote of Venables’ Gabriel comments (from Sooner Scoop):

"I would because I know there was something brought to my attention, was a story that was written just not that it really matters, but at the same time, at the end of the year, had a meeting after a few weeks at the end of the season, where Dillan Gabriel came to visit with me. He wanted to have a meeting and let me know that he wasn't going to play in the bowl game. And so I had already gotten wind and he knew some other guys were opting out on the offensive line and things like that, and I did not know that at that time that he wasn't going to go to the NFL.

"When we had a great conversation with him, disappointed that he wasn't going to go play in the bowl game, and the circumstances of coach Lebby leaving, and thought he wanted to get closer to home to Hawaii, and I was like, I didn't know I had to fight this fight, you know, I didn't realize that you were even considering coming back, and he says, Yeah, but I just really want to, you know, get closer to home. So that's — we hugged and shook hands. And, you know, he was a little emotional, and I was, but it was all really good and positive. Make a guy stay, you know guys trying to find the next thing you know, the next chapter for him. I'm sure there was probably some disappointment, you know, that he wasn't more highly thought of in the NFL.

"Had an amazing year. It was a fantastic quarterback. But nobody (was) running, nobody off or things like that. So always the veterans are good. You know, I think always said that the experienced player can do a little more than sometimes the young guys. But it's neither here nor there. But I did want to clear that up."

(statsman comment): It’s telling that Venables didn’t know that Gabriel was not definitely going to the draft and was considering the portal. He is the HC. His QB is a priority. If he wasn’t working to stay in contact with Gabriel, to make sure that he understood what he was planning, it was because Gabriel was no longer his top priority. Now, Venables is just trying to provide cover for his choice of Arnold over Gabriel. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Danimal said:

Oklahoma is due for a long period of being average. I'm glad it's happening now.

It could be interesting.  No one except OSU in the Big 12 had the jihad against the dirt burglars and they had, for certain, coaching(read dick eating) and talent advantages for much of that time.  In the SEC they will be fighting multiple other teams who have equal talent.

If the coaching isn't there and other SEC teams(+ Texas) make inroads into Dallas/East Texas with NIL it could be a bit of a rough ride.  

Texas is already used to the jihad so it makes no nevermind to us, we have to overcome it.  They do have a brutal schedule this year so you do have to take that into account.  If they really think Arnold ain't it, they should ride with Hawkins and take the lumps.

2 hours ago, Rio Don said:

When someone has an answer for everything, and that answer is uniformly positive, you know they're fucked. The inability to tell the truth about the state of his team will make people more angry when later season beatdowns start happening.

What will they do when Hawkins tries to do what freshmen do and gets himself hurt trying to make some hero play? Go back to Arnold? 

Casey Thompson.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So OU is moving a backup CB to WR this week out of desperation. Of course, Venables isn’t framing it that way, and why would he?, but his comments are still classically over the top and unnecessary:

"He's not a good receiver.; he's fantastic," Venables said. "He looked really, really good tonight. For a guy who hasn't been working that for a while, he was really, really good…. You know me — anybody that knows me, I don't really sunshine pump. That's not me. I try to use my words carefully, and so anyway, he was actually out there with them and running routes and looked really good and natural, as much as anything." 

Right. This is slow-motion train wreck shit at this point. 

Jacobe Johnson is back-up CB that is moving to WR this week.  Would be hilarious if Brenen Thompson loses reps, his mom gets upset and she fires off angry stuff on social media...

Screenshot_20240924-171230_kindlephoto-1014224.png.6331e52a410232414319c7eeb9e9cb29.png

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

They do have a brutal schedule this year so you do have to take that into account.  If they really think Arnold ain't it, they should ride with Hawkins and take the lumps.

But this is the problem with that strategy.  This OU fanbase is so used to winning they will have absolutely zero patience for a methodical rebuild.  When they don't win the SEC this year, it will be the longest stretch without a conference title since they broke the drought between 1987 and 2000.  Their schedule is brutal but if they go something like 6-6 Venables is going to be under a ton of heat to win next year.  Is a Hawkins that is running for his life/getting beat up every week going to somehow be ready to take a huge step forward in a must win year under very likely a new coordinator?   Or is it more likely Venables feels he has to make moves to win 9 or 10 games in 2025 and blow his NIL fund to bring in a veteran (and then what do you do if you are Hawkins and does OU have the NIL budget to pay a top QB and fill out their roster).  There flat out isn't a good scenario available to Venables right now outside of Hawkins somehow making the staff and the fanbase confident that he is going to be much improved as a Soph and elite by (OU standards) his Junior year.  So good luck with all of that Brent.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Skipper said:

But this is the problem with that strategy.  This OU fanbase is so used to winning they will have absolutely zero patience for a methodical rebuild.  When they don't win the SEC this year, it will be the longest stretch without a conference title since they broke the drought between 1987 and 2000.  Their schedule is brutal but if they go something like 6-6 Venables is going to be under a ton of heat to win next year.  Is a Hawkins that is running for his life/getting beat up every week going to somehow be ready to take a huge step forward in a must win year under very likely a new coordinator?   Or is it more likely Venables feels he has to make moves to win 9 or 10 games in 2025 and blow his NIL fund to bring in a veteran (and then what do you do if you are Hawkins and does OU have the NIL budget to pay a top QB and fill out their roster).  There flat out isn't a good scenario available to Venables right now outside of Hawkins somehow making the staff and the fanbase confident that he is going to be much improved as a Soph and elite by (OU standards) his Junior year.  So good luck with all of that Brent.

agreed the patience is going to be low, especially if we beat them and make the playoff/win the SEC.  Castiglione is a pretty good AD, he's gonna have to provide cover if he wants Venables long term.  If he doesn't, well then Venables die is cast.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

agreed the patience is going to be low, especially if we beat them and make the playoff/win the SEC.  Castiglione is a pretty good AD, he's gonna have to provide cover if he wants Venables long term.  If he doesn't, well then Venables die is cast.

As it relates to OU's demise specifically we just need to beat them.  If we fuck that game up again he still has that bright spot to sell regardless of how the rest of the season goes.  If they lose that game, their schedule will take care of the rest.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

As it relates to OU's demise specifically we just need to beat them.  If we fuck that game up again he still has that bright spot to sell regardless of how the rest of the season goes.  If they lose that game, their schedule will take care of the rest.

Some thoughts are best tucked away and left to enjoy all on our own, Skipper. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I’ve posted before that having a HC with a rep as a QB developer is a cheat code in the modern game. Teams like that (Texas, Bama, USC) get a discount on QB prospects, who see examples like Hudson Card and Malik Murphy, biding their time and (when they don’t ascend to the starter role) transferring to start elsewhere. These teams can have real QB rooms. 

The flip side is the team coached by a defense oriented HC (TAMU, OU, Oregon). These teams either have a great OC (that they will have to replace when they get a HC job) or a mediocre OC (who they will need to replace to upgrade). There is no QB discount; they have to pay market rates for starters and backups, and there is little development of raw prospects going on. 

Sooner fans are so hopeful about Hawkins, and Ag fans about Reed, because they really need those guys to be good. They understand intuitively that if they aren’t good, they are far away from competing for CFP spots. 

And lies the problem for OU. We are having to go into Georgia's and Alabama's back yard, compete and win recruiting battles against them to pull the best talent that fits our team, and I don't think OU can do the same, especially in the NIL day and age. I'm not saying they will not be able to get top talent, but I don't think they will be able to get the depth needed to compete at the top of the SEC year in and out.

Their fans will lose patience quickly will any coaching staff, especially when they compare it to how fast Sark turned Texas around (aggy the same). But fail to realize the decision they took to jump to the SEC might have put them on the same path Nebraska took when it joined the BIG 10.  Granted, unlike Corn, OU won't lose its pipeline into Texas, but it's completion will only get stiffer. It will have to find a way to consistently pull talent away from the Georgias and Alabamas like we have and I don't think they have the resources to do so.

12 hours ago, Skipper said:

While all that is true, the OU fan base is surprisingly fair and realistic.  They're going to expect to win the SEC most years like they did the Big 12.  They know it's more difficult and are fine with that.  What they are not fine with right now is that in Year 3, BV's somehow has the worst offense they've ever seen.  It doesn't need to be great but at least put something on the field that's not embarrassing.  You're right about next year, though. 

• Haha 1

Just now, BB65 said:

OU needs to recruit O linemen. IMO that is what Sark has been best at. You can have the best QB in the history of football and he will struggle  if the O line can't give him time for the play to develop. Football games are won at the line of scrimmage.

OU doesn’t need to focus on boring stuff like the offensive line. QBs are the lifeblood of a program and they can elevate the entire team. A steady flow of QBs in and out of Norman is the way to achieve the desired outcome. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

OU doesn’t need to focus on boring stuff like the offensive line. QBs are the lifeblood of a program and they can elevate the entire team. A steady flow of QBs in and out of Norman is the way to achieve the desired outcome. 

For my desired outcome you are 100% correct.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Been waiting since the 90's for the return of the suckage. 

Me too, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Just let it happen. 

OU is 13-4 over the last two seasons. Their fans think they’re going 8-4, with a shot at beating Texas (based on “Sooner Magic” and “Texas is soft”). They’re ranked 21st in the AP, and if they beat Auburn, they’ll come into Dallas a top 20 team. They have the #11 ON3 recruiting class. 

Let them enjoy those hopes. All Texas can do is play them (and beat them) once. Let’s just enjoy this season as it unfolds. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1