Tell me about ou

Texas007

3 minutes ago, Constant said:

All of the first 5 wideouts being out is pretty insane. 3 of them for the season. 

Which is the 3rd for the season? Anthony tried to come back too soon and he’s a shadow of himself. Anderson was accused of goldbricking and then fully reopened his quad wound. Venables has been flat out lying about Burks and had his hand forced on the report last night. Is he actually done for the year as some of the more respected posters have implied on your boards? I could believe that 4 are done for the year and Farooq is a wildcard in terms of when he returns. 

The loss of the kicker is comical. Appendicitis saps a lot of strength, too. That’s a wildcard recovery as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Which is the 3rd for the season? Anthony tried to come back too soon and he’s a shadow of himself. Anderson was accused of goldbricking and then fully reopened his quad wound. Venables has been flat out lying about Burks and had his hand forced on the report last night. Is he actually done for the year as some of the more respected posters have implied on your boards? I could believe that 4 are done for the year and Farooq is a wildcard in terms of when he returns. 

The loss of the kicker is comical. Appendicitis saps a lot of strength, too. That’s a wildcard recovery as well. 

If they're down this much at WR, pretty much have JAGs at RB, their OL sucks and is also hobbled, and are starting a true freshman QB, the Red River Rivalry might be a lot like 2022's version. I don't expect it to be 49-0, but something like 41-14 might be realistic.

On 9/23/2024 at 8:43 AM, closetojumping said:

Serious thought exercise for people regarding the OU offense:

Name a player you’d take from that side of the ball and who you would replace them with on the Texas depth chart. 

-No one on the OL

-No one at TE

-No one at QB

I don’t even see how those can be debated. 

-One could argue Burks for a backup slot if he’s healthy. He looks good, so do our guys. The okie media oversold him after the spring, he’s not some revelation. 

-Barnes over Gibson or Wisner behind Blue? Given UT injuries, sure, Barnes is a fit somewhere in there.  

Not one starter from their depth chart and it’s not hard to not be a homer looking at it. They’ve recruited poorly on offense, haven’t developed who they’ve recruited and they done a poor job with them in S&C and keeping them healthy.

If healthy, I'd trade Parker Livingstone for Nic Anderson 

On 9/23/2024 at 4:25 PM, LTtxfan said:

Klatt destroys blOU offense.  Seth Littrell's days are numbered...

Joel Klatt is a treasure. He fucks. Hard. 

On 9/23/2024 at 8:18 PM, quigley said:

Bedenbaugh was down on NIL until the Cayden Green departure, apparently. He's now got 2 top ten OT coming in. His OLs get better throughout the season. He's been at OU since 2013, I can't think of a year that OU's OL hasn't been good if not great by season's end. In the SEC, facing good DL on the regular, will his slow developmental style cost OU games early in the season?

I was frustrated by how good Emmett Jones's WR at Kansas and TxTech looked vs the OU defense (lots of WR looked good vs OU in that era). Last year, Jones's development of OU's WR room was great. This year, the Sooners # 2, 3, and 4 wide receivers have been injured. The extreme bad injury luck makes Jones a keep, for now.

DeMarco can point to the development of Eric Gray. Who else? Finley's TEs have sucked outside of Braden Willis (7th round draft pick). Littrell had ONE good offensive year as a coordinator (when his head coach was an offensive guy, Larry Fedora). None of these three have the pedigree to survive a similar performance.

I honestly thought Bedenbaugh had been at ou for much longer than that. Crazy. Who did he replace since ou has seemingly always had pretty good o-lines. 

On 9/23/2024 at 9:32 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Former #1 player in Texas as recruit and gets benched for a true freshman. Damn.

Like every other mismanaged situation, why wouldn't Venables keep Auburn guessing until GameDay? 

Goti into an argument with a sooner who told me Arch was a bust and Arnold will be great because he won the Elite 11. So I counted the Elite 11 winners who panned oht in since 2000. 7 of them did. I  told him Arnold would suck in college because he can't run or throw for shit. 

On 9/24/2024 at 9:38 PM, dcar00 said:

agreed the patience is going to be low, especially if we beat them and make the playoff/win the SEC.  Castiglione is a pretty good AD, he's gonna have to provide cover if he wants Venables long term.  If he doesn't, well then Venables die is cast.

They went full aggy and gave that idiot a 6 year extention earlier this year. Lulz

30 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

They went full aggy and gave that idiot a 6 year extention earlier this year. Lulz

Their AD knew the schedule was rough this year and next, so he decided to extend Venables now, knowing it would be controversial after (assuming the rebuild arc continued up) 8-4 seasons. Funny how things work out. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Anderson isn’t expected to return from what I’m hearing. I put Farooq in the same boat. I would imagine he’s putting all efforts in getting prepared for combine/workouts. 

Edited by Constant

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Their AD knew the schedule was rough this year and next, so he decided to extend Venables now, knowing it would be controversial after (assuming the rebuild arc continued up) 8-4 seasons. Funny how things work out. 

What a dumb move after he's only been there for 2 seasons when they extended him. It's so reminiscent of aggy after their Covid "success". 

50 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

What a dumb move after he's only been there for 2 seasons when they extended him. It's so reminiscent of aggy after their Covid "success". 

Well, here is the thing about choices- the best option and the least part option are the same thing. 

Without that extension, how easy will it be to hire a new OC for next year?

Or do you prefer to hire a new HC for next year, with an even more difficult schedule (addition of Michigan)?

39 minutes ago, statsman said:

Well, here is the thing about choices- the best option and the least part option are the same thing. 

Or do you prefer to hire a new HC for next year, with an even more difficult schedule (addition of Michigan)?

That is a conundrum, no doubt. I just don't see Venebals as a long-term solution for ou. He's got the potential to win 10 games if he actually hires a coordinator worth a shit. I just think it's premature considering what he's hired so far. That offense just hard to watch. 

Personally, I would have waited another year or two to see how he adjusts to the SEC. He's proven nothing at this point other than going 10-3 in the shitty Big XII. It was a stupid move until we see if he can adjust to the better teams and hire an actual OC (which aren't easy to come by), which he hasn't. We will see if he fires their OC after this season. Jackson Arnold isn't the answer, and as athletic as Hawkins is, he's not the solution either, imo. 

So I agree with your post. He won't be fired either way, but if he doesn't improve from year 1 to year 2, I think that seat will get really warm. 

Their AD is a smart guy, but I believe he made a wrong move on this one. Just my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, statsman said:

Yeah, I'd need to know more about his buyout before claiming it was a complete bust this early on. Now, don't get me wrong, it doesn't look great for OU at this time; which I, as a Texas fan, love. However, managerial decision making is obviously easier to do in retrospect - one already knows the outcome. If OU's admin didn't lock him in with some absurd buyout, then they probably made the right decisions given other compounding variables, even if the end result doesn't wind up being the "most optimal." One can still make the right decision at a given time and still end up with a poor outcome result.

Edit: I can't find his buyout. Is his contract fully guaranteed? If so, I'm less likely to state that OU didn't screw this one up.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, I'd need to know more about his buyout before claiming it was a complete bust this early on. Now, don't get me wrong, it doesn't look great for OU at this time; which I, as a Texas fan, love. However, managerial decision making is obviously easier to do in retrospect - one already knows the outcome. If OU's admin didn't lock him in with some absurd buyout, then they probably made the right decisions given other compounding variables, even if the end result doesn't wind up being the "most optimal." One can still make the right decision at a given time and still end up with a poor outcome result.

Edit: I can't find his buyout. Is his contract fully guaranteed? If so, I'm less likely to state that OU didn't screw this one up.

I completely agree with this. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

My appendix ruptured when I was 12. 3 hots and a cot for 3 days then back in action on the Jr High B-ball team.

Kicker must have sand in his vag.

Edited by MissingInAction
A