Tell me about ou

Texas007

33 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Kip, MOE, or Ned. short name

fify

wrong

GEORGE: One of your guys - Kip, or Ned, short name - stole my Twix candy bar!

Then later,

GEORGE: Alright, Puddy, listen, and listen good: I need to know the name of that mechanic that walks around here. Big guy, a liar. Short name. Sam? Moe? Sol?!

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

wrong

GEORGE: One of your guys - Kip, or Ned, short name - stole my Twix candy bar!

Then later,

GEORGE: Alright, Puddy, listen, and listen good: I need to know the name of that mechanic that walks around here. Big guy, a liar. Short name. Sam? Moe? Sol?!

Fuck. Ive been saying it wrong all these years

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/8/2024 at 2:43 PM, Fud said:

Would Texas's second string OL be better than the current OU OL (injuries and all)?

Good question... with blOU problems at center and right tackle

Truth about Jackson Arnold, Seth Littrell and No. 15 Oklahoma's bad offense 

Tulane and Tennessee next

Screenshot_20240908-073726_kindlephoto-19492280.png

Edited by LTtxfan

On 9/8/2024 at 7:48 AM, Pdawg88 said:

IMG_3176.jpeg.2aeaa827d46ddcee547668f930329c26.jpeg

that’s the way I see this going 

This seems optimistic. I look at Tulane as a toss up and South Carolina as a more certain loss than Auburn. 

Edited by Chili dog
Just saw that my perspective was not at all unique and had been well-covered prior to my contribution. I should’ve kept reading, but the point stands.

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They started out as a 19.5 point favorite against Tulane, and it's down to 14 now. You usually don't see lines move that much unless there is an injury to a QB. There has been a massive market correction on Oklahoma. I'm not even sure that offense can score 14, much less cover it. 

I’d expect the line to go up with an injury to Arnold. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Tulane has had some good wins the past few years. 

I know they changed coach , but they held their own and narrowly lost to kstate last weekend. 

Has the makings of a glorious upset 

Not sure it would be an upset at this point, we suck 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

Not sure it would be an upset at this point, we suck 

Y'all are reaching Lou Holtz levels of poor-mouthing your team and lifting up the future opponent. I'm starting to expect a Clemson vs App State kind of OU recovery against Tulane here. 

That considered, your OL is truly dogshit, your TBs define average, you have a MASH unit at WR, your TEs wouldn't even preferred walk-ons at Texas and the word from folks connected nationally is that you have a QB problem that you can't really address, as you can't run one guy off for another guy that the program proclaims as a future 1st rounder and then immediately dump said 5 star bust for his true freshman backup without creating all kinds of questions. 

So maybe it really is a close match-up. You got me.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Y'all are reaching Lou Holtz levels of poor-mouthing your team and lifting up the future opponent. I'm starting to expect a Clemson vs App State kind of OU recovery against Tulane here. 

That considered, your OL is truly dogshit, your TBs define average, you have a MASH unit at WR, your TEs wouldn't even preferred walk-ons at Texas and the word from folks connected nationally is that you have a QB problem that you can't really address, as you can't run one guy off for another guy that the program proclaims as a future 1st rounder and then immediately dump said 5 star bust for his true freshman backup without creating all kinds of questions. 

I have no clue what Tulane can, or is going to do. I have a pretty damn good idea of what we can/can’t do. They just aren’t really any good, not much else to say. No team can win/compete forever like we have. It goes in cycles. Texas has been not very good for 15 or so years and is clearly on the way up. We have been pretty good for the same amount of time and are clearly in the way down. It happens. I don’t think we will be down long. My opinion is dumb fuck will hopefully get fired after next year, and then we will actually hire a real head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

I have no clue what Tulane can, or is going to do. I have a pretty damn good idea of what we can/can’t do. They just aren’t really any good, not much else to say. No team can win/compete forever like we have. It goes in cycles. Texas has been not very good for 15 or so years and is clearly on the way up. We have been pretty good for the same amount of time and are clearly in the way down. It happens. I don’t think we will be down long. My opinion is dumb fuck will hopefully get fired after next year, and then we will actually hire a real head coach. 

Didn't OU just give Venables a contract extension? I think y'all are going to have him for a few more seasons before y'all can afford to fire him and bring on a decent coach. But I'm all for OU Jimbo-Elkoing themselves into Greece like money troubles... So have at it!

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Their defense won't be ranked in the top 50 by the end of the year.

Sark better show no mercy this year.  I don't want a Michigan second half against them.  Put your foot on their necks like they did to us in early 2000s.

Would love to see that.  Those cheating douchebags deserve some time on the breaking wheel.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jackson Arnold- is he on a multi year NIL deal? Is it guaranteed (assuming he doesn’t quit or transfer)?

Maybe he just needs time to work this out, or maybe both parties need a change, but either way, is there a multi year parameter involved?

56 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Doing well.  You still have that super lame thread about me going, dork?  🤣

Are you kidding me! That guy is my best friend. I figured if you and I can’t be friends this little guy will just take your place. Hell I took him to Buffalo Wild Wings and watched your boys beat up on Michigan. Look how happy he is. IMG_3173.thumb.jpeg.fc3effc3cd89f2d56275ec9d546e7ea4.jpeg

• Haha 4

Venables might be suffering from the Charlie Strongish and Hermanesque downfall of hiring friends or friends of the program as assistant coaches.  It's a common mistake and the main reason you don't hire head coaches with minimal experience at top tier programs.  The assistants are everything at this level.

Edited by ClubWhatever

18 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Venables might be suffering from the Charlie Strongish and Hermanesque downfall of hiring friends or friends of the program as assistant coaches.  It's a common mistake and the main reason you don't hire head coaches with minimal experience at top tier programs.  The assistants are everything at this level.

This is 100% true. That’s why I didn’t like the hire. 

In an update last night, Venables told reporters that they're going to be adding a true freshman, non-early entrant, to their OL lineup. Not because they lack depth, have a mash unit for the group, and are playing like absolute shit so they're throwing anything at the wall to see if it will stick. No, they're doing this because this guy is fucking awesome. Okay, then.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If they have a QB problem, there's an easy answer on the roster... do we dare to start the 'we want Casey' chants in the cotton bowl this year? 

21 hours ago, Pdawg88 said:

I appreciate the honesty. 

If you're an OU fan, the best thing that can happen for that program is to lose 6-7 games this year and move on sooner than later from Venables. The entire college football ecosystem is changing fast and OU is stuck in the mud and sinking. Which is obviously very pleasing to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If you're an OU fan, the best thing that can happen for that program is to lose 6-7 games this year and move on sooner than later from Venables. The entire college football ecosystem is changing fast and OU is stuck in the mud and sinking. Which is obviously very pleasing to us. 

This would crush recruiting and put them in a bad spot for years.

😀

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m predicting them to beat Tulane rather handily. It’s one of those hell week of practice, everyone is shitting on us, fugazi type wins. They’ll get bent backwards by fake UT

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

LOL they just extended him this summer. They would have to eat about $40 million if they fired him after this year. That's more than half a Jimbo. Ain't happening.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

The OU OL has to show a marked improvement for both the run and pass game. Against Tulane, I’ll be surprised if I see it. At least the OU D can keep them in the game. Close game in Norman. OU sucks - 17 to the Green Wave’s 16.

Might even be a FG to win the game.

Hook’em!!!

Straight out of the @Hank Scorpio playbook...

Just Beat the Shit out of your own team in practice

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Brent Venables's prescription to fix his struggling offense? More time against his starting defense

Oklahoma ranks 108th in yards per play and third-to-last on third down against one of the softest schedules in the country so far.

ZACH BARNETT         SEP 10, 2024

"What are your changes? Is that a loaded question?"

The question was probed from Brent Venables to an off-screen reporter, an Uno reverse card after the Oklahoma head coach was just asked the question on the mind of every last fan in Sooner Nation: What's going to change on this offense?

Tuesday was Venables's first time meeting the media since Saturday's demoralizing 16-12 win over Houston. It was a game where...

-- The Sooners rushed for 75 yards on 29 carries, with running backs accounting for a grand total of 50 yards.

-- Quarterback Jackson Arnold threw 32 times for 174 yards, posting a QBR of 37.5.

-- The Sooner offense was the third-highest scoring unit on the field in the second half, trailing the Houston offense (six points) and the OU defense (two).

-- Venables himself said Oklahoma should have lost, twice, in his post-game interview with SEC Network.

Two games in, Oklahoma is 79th nationally in rushing, Arnold ranks outside the national top 100 in yards per attempt (5.5) with three completions of 20-plus yards, and OU's third down conversion rate of 19.23 percent (5-for-26) is third to the bottom nationally.

Now consider Oklahoma has played Temple and Houston, two teams picked to finish last or second-to-last in their respective conferences. The 15th-ranked Sooners host Tulane on Saturday (3:30 p.m. ET, ESPN). After that: No. 7 Tennessee comes to town in an ABC Saturday Night Football game on Sept. 21. Four more top-10 teams follow, three of them away from Norman -- No. 2 Texas in Dallas, No. 5 Ole Miss in Oxford, No. 6 Mizzou in Columbia, followed by No. 4 Alabama at home. That's not to mention the rest of the SEC slate: road trips to Auburn and Baton Rouge, plus a home game against a South Carolina team that just pummeled Kentucky.

So, yeah. One can see the collective worry from Oklahoma from outer space.

The lunatic fringe is already calling for replacements for coordinator Seth Littrell and Arnold. Clearly, that's not going to happen.

But, double clearly, something has to change. So what is it, Coach?

"Maybe some things that we're doing in regards to good-on-good work. Continue to maybe get a little bit more of the good-on-good," Venables said. "The practice field is where you want to get exposed, so you don't get into the games and say, 'Okay, this could be an issue.'"

Oklahoma is not only breaking in a new coordinator in Littrell and a redshirt freshman quarterback in Arnold, they're doing so with a supporting cast that is severely banged up. Wide receiver Jayden Gibson, who averaged nearly 27 yards per catch and scored five touchdowns as a freshman in 2023, was lost for the season in camp. Jalil Farooq, the leading returning receiver in terms of catches, broke his foot early in the opener. Nic Anderson, the leading returning receiver in terms of yards and touchdowns, has yet to play. 

Meanwhile, the offensive line was already expected to be a work in progress with five new starters, hasn't had expected starting center Branson Hickman, who transferred in with 35 starts at SMU.

No one expected the 2024 Oklahoma offense to rival the 2008 or 2018 units. But everyone expected the offense to be better than this, even considering the inexperience and the injuries. 

"How do young, inexperienced players get better? Do they get better by beating up on scouts? That are scout team players that have a chance to be good players in time, but there's a reason they're on the scouts? Or is it going against good people?," Venables asked, rhetorically. 

"It's going to bring out the best in you -- competitiveness, your fundamentals, things that you can coach and teach and correct off of tape when you're going against good people."

Far be it for me to prescribe the fix to Oklahoma's offense from my office chair hundreds of miles from Norman, but there's a clear downside to the good-on-good strategy. In addition to everything else, Oklahoma's offense clearly lacks confidence. It's a group of players that need to see the ball go in the net, to borrow a basketball term, even if it is a layup against the scout team. 

A month of working against the Oklahoma defense produced the results we've seen so far. Is diving even more into that going to make the offense better?

There's another risk here, as well. An offense full of transfers, young players and projected backups going up against a potentially elite defense full of veterans like potential All-Americans linebacker Danny Stutsman, safety Billy Bowman, and likely Freshman All-American defensive tackle Jayden Jackson might damage more than the OU offense's psyche. 

"The flip side of that is guys get really competitive, and you're a little more vulnerable to getting banged up, potentially," Venables said.

An Oklahoma offense that improves from here might still win nine to 10 games, if certain players return, the others improve, and the defense looks as good against Tennessee and Texas as it did against Temple and Houston.

If the offense stays the same, though? A 4-win season is on the table. 

The difference might lie in how Venables manages practice this very week. 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1