Hunting ‘23/‘24: Bag ‘em and Tag ‘em

Cut some wood to level out the cots,you will sleep better.

Sleep quality is huge for me, so yeah; good tip and definitely will be doing what we can to make things more comfortable. We did a light weight overnight last year and it wasnt great. Sleeping on the ground in 12 degrees in a backpacking tent wasn’t very restful. We have to do what we can to be more comfortable.

eb08021b81e89941c8f7e0f1c0a399b3.jpg

Sleep quality is huge for me, so yeah; good tip and definitely will be doing what we can to make things more comfortable. We did a light weight overnight last year and it wasnt great. Sleeping on the ground in 12 degrees in a backpacking tent wasn’t very restful. We have to do what we can to be more comfortable.

eb08021b81e89941c8f7e0f1c0a399b3.jpg

I’d take a couple of hot ass skanks up there with you. That would help you sleep better.
  • Like 1

Yeah something like this or a Sara Jean Underwood photo shoot after a day of mountain hunting would pretty much be peak L I V I N for me.

712e683b1b12cbbbf8433df7ddea0f5c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Looks like the area near my lease has received a little over 22" of rain this month, not counting today.

The 1.5-acre "watering hole" on the property has been bone dry for at least the last 3 years. I went out there back in mid-April and it actually had probably 2' of standing water from some earlier Spring rains. It's probably neck deep at this point.

One of the older members said there used to be pretty solid dove hunting out there back before the hole dried up. September work weekend trip might have just got a little more interesting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Took the 7prc out to the ranch today and went straight to 525 yards. I had calibrated my ballistic calculator at 300 a few weeks ago, so hoped I had a chance of being on. Cold bore shot was on the plate but a little high, next two were better. Then went to 630yards, and put an ok just sub-MOA 6” group on the steel. I actually shot the 630 yard group while talking on the phone to my elk hunting buddy on noise cancelling ear buds, not a problem with the suppressor on. Pretty happy with these results for first attempts at these distances and definitely gives me something to build on.

a02d16f60e998e7ba393df8db6123573.jpg

2b58ae9b67f0232932fd14e9fe87423b.jpg

890d552732eb67f3d221c10d22f85245.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Making a quick trip up to my lease on Sunday. Gonna go check on the camp house after all the recent storms, do a little weed eating and mowing, and scout locations for the new stand we're bringing out later this month. Also gonna start putting together a project list for a group work weekend come come September. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:14 PM, Storm the Field said:

Making a quick trip up to my lease on Sunday. Gonna go check on the camp house after all the recent storms, do a little weed eating and mowing, and scout locations for the new stand we're bringing out later this month. Also gonna start putting together a project list for a group work weekend come come September. 

I need to do this but it is 3rd level of hell hot right now and I’m not sure I would make it.   

31 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I need to do this but it is 3rd level of hell hot right now and I’m not sure I would make it.   

Yeah. I probably did a solid 2 hours of weed eating yesterday. Have never been so drenched in sweat. Very much needed though. Grass and weeds around the camp house were about waist high. All that rain last month has the place greener and more overgrown than I've ever seen it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 7:21 PM, Storm the Field said:

Yeah. I probably did a solid 2 hours of weed eating yesterday. Have never been so drenched in sweat. Very much needed though. Grass and weeds around the camp house were about waist high. All that rain last month has the place greener and more overgrown than I've ever seen it.

d0c980cb-c918-45d6-8cea-5fbb3de10fab_tex

Rokslide is a somewhat useful western hunting website. They do a cold bore challenge every year this time of year, you get one shot to hit a 10” target at your Max Effective Range (must be 400yards+), then you have to do it again a second day. The shots have to be on video as well. No practice shots on shooting days or between. I whiffed last year on my first shot.

I did my first shot today for this years and did ok at 500yards. Ruger Go Wild 7PRC, Sig BDX optics system.

2dfba58bb76854b73ee782302ed4c46c.jpg

b1d135ba8d277c7465ae70209a0ce27f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Got my second cold bore shot in yesterday at my folk’s place, 529 yards. Just got the shot inside the 10” circle. I misjudged the wind a little and after some investigation, noted I was shooting a different lot of Hornady ammo that is giving me consistently higher impacts (more velocity) than what I originally sighted in with. Hornady has acknowledged they had to change powders due to an availability issue, and I should’ve checked a lot numbers before doing this challenge, but lesson learned.

1c78d8f886a668342efac444e3f58fc2.jpg
dd6457917936ec23b99a8247f0b2b824.jpg

35683680e8a5abb24af1a2b3837d7789.jpg

I like the 7PRC cartridge and I’ll be getting dies to do some hand loading and I may try the Federal factory ammo as well.

I was expecting the Ruger Go Wild to be pretty “low end” feeling; but honestly I can’t complain about it. Especially at the price point. This will be my elk rig for this year. I may try to install an Acra rail in front of the magazine to direct mount to my tripod, but other than that, it pretty much is what I need, and I feel very confident long range with this setup. I took some shots at 630 yards after my cold bore shot, and was just outside the 10” circle. I think with some ammunition work I can get there.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Spent part of yesterday afternoon partially assembling a feeder for the new stand we're brining out to the lease this coming weekend. From past experience, it's a lot more comfortable to do as much as possible at home than trying to put this thing together out in the field.

https://www.academy.com/p/game-winner®-300-lb-silo-vp-feeder

FYI, we set up this same model at a stand last year and have been happy with it so far. A lot sturdier than other cheap store-brand feeders. Is actual metal, not rubber or plastic, legs aren't feeble, comes with a varmint guard...etc.

All in, after taxes and adding a (not included) solar panel, comes out to about $250. Only big drawback is that assembly takes a little while and gets annoying at times.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Group of guys headed out to our lease last weekend and got a bunch of work done. Got a brand new stand and feeder set up, fixed and reinforced a year-old stand that got knocked over in high winds, and set up a new feeder at an old but decent stand whose feeder crapped out a while back.

Also set up a couple of cellular game cameras at the new feeders. Have already had some ladies pop by, despite the fact we aren't even feeding yet.

does.thumb.jpg.f4c02f277df237fe0d7682dc2e509eb9.jpg

• Like 1

@solamente73 is in Africa and will hopefully get us an update soon to buoy us through these doldrums. I am going to try and mount an Arca rail on my elk rifle and I may be changing a barrel on my Tikka; will post photos of how those projects go.

I had the ivories from my last year’s bull made into earrings for wife/daughters to wear:

0a99e003cabd47bd035999f29aab1791.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I am, indeed, in Africa.  Between ridiculous travel issues, Africa’s version of Montezuma’s revenge, major health drama with family back home (and not being able to get a flight home because of previously mentioned ridiculous travel issues), spotty internet access, and generally being exhausted by the pace and physical exertion of hunting 10 species in 10 days across the Eastern Cape and the Karoo, I haven’t been able give the running updates I had planned.  I’ll post a lot here in the coming days/weeks, and I’m going to put something comprehensive together on AfricaHunting.com (and will link to it here) for those interested.

In the mean time, to whet y’all’s appetites:

At Olivewoods/Karoo2Coast about 1.5 hours from Port Elizabeth:

IMG_3275.thumb.jpeg.08d65e8b1d6e6db3c637f08af5fc7def.jpeg

IMG_3170.thumb.jpeg.9686ff1da7aec2a65b363cb735739ac0.jpeg

Blesbok was my first African animal.  He was silhouetted on the mountaintop with the sun behind him, and he wouldn’t stop moving.  162 yards off sticks.  
IMG_3217.thumb.jpeg.15a5cf530a69a2bbe113269dc417b653.jpeg

Next, we were sizing up 5-6 warthog when this one popped into view.  My PH turned into a giddy little school boy at the sight of him.  140 yards off bipod supported by the Cruiser’s hood.  DRT.  About 250lbs.

IMG_3272.thumb.jpeg.5750771a17a083dcc313d233ddce3a27.jpeg

I’ll do my best to entertain throughout the “doldrums.”  LOTS more to come…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Finally got out to the ranch. A bunch of little piggies were at the feeder. I shot one and the little bastard was behind I guess. Hit both in the shoulder. 2 pigs with 1 stone.

Spoiler

20240704_220042.thumb.jpg.5536c0a54e2c1f1cb909ab34bf886f11.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Got the used tent I bought out today and did a trial assembly. May or may not use it this hunting season, but it’s good to have the option. Might try to do some family camping trips in it as well. Need to decide on a stove at some point.

43e3567bcbe2b0baaff8ccd2da63c71b.jpg

6682f218837459e991c1ea809c227922.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It took some work, but I got the 270 barrel off my tikka and swapped to a 6.5CM. Setting this gun up for my daughters: short threaded and fluted barrel, adjustable stock, smooth easy to manipulate action, Arca rail for tripod mounting.

6542c8fd82657f64f5d227eb273a5ddb.jpg

e7a0187d502a163a0c311c3790d00db9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 686 said:

It took some work, but I got the 270 barrel off my tikka and swapped to a 6.5CM. Setting this gun up for my daughters: short threaded and fluted barrel, adjustable stock, smooth easy to manipulate action, Arca rail for tripod mounting.

6542c8fd82657f64f5d227eb273a5ddb.jpg

e7a0187d502a163a0c311c3790d00db9.jpg

What barrel mfg?

What barrel mfg?

Used factory take off. If Tikka doesn’t chamber in 7PRC this year I may buy a used magnum action and put a preferred barrel prefit on it. That and a folding carbon stock would be a neat setup.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 686 said:

Used factory take off. If Tikka doesn’t chamber in 7PRC this year I may buy a used magnum action and put a preferred barrel prefit on it. That and a folding carbon stock would be a neat setup.

Glad you got it off.  I’ve seen a few vids and they can be a bear to get off.  Such a silky smooth action.   I will eventually pick one or two up if I can ever find a good wood guy 

Yeah it took a 4’ cheater bar to crank down the vice and then on the action wrench as well. I was worried I was going to bend the vice handle. I used Wheeler tools and Wheeler lead shims on the barrel and action and got it done with no marring.

43287b9fdc0dc6e4ace60c1591fb6a91.jpg

9f18904bbc0d200a79a41d6840aca86b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2024 at 2:32 PM, Handcruser said:

I would be willing to bet that thing was loaded up with buffalo bore projectiles. 10mm is the fucking bare minimum in bear territory.

If I recall correctly, 10mm is what @mooseoutfront uses for his bear pistol up in Alaska.

On 7/8/2024 at 1:32 PM, Handcruser said:

I would be willing to bet that thing was loaded up with buffalo bore projectiles. 10mm is the fucking bare minimum in bear territory.

This.  Almost all factory 10mm is watered down outside of a few options.  

As a kid I always wanted a "Bren Ten" when reading the Shooters Bible. 

On 7/8/2024 at 1:32 PM, Handcruser said:

On 7/10/2024 at 9:02 AM, BabaYaga said:

According to the data compiled by Ammoland, any handgun has a success rate of something like 98% at deterring bear attacks. In fact, they only found one case where a handgun was used to shoot an attacking bear that was unsuccessful, and it was with a .22.

• Like 1

According to the data compiled by Ammoland, any handgun has a success rate of something like 98% at deterring bear attacks. In fact, they only found one case where a handgun was used to shoot an attacking bear that was unsuccessful, and it was with a .22.

I’ve read that report.

If you’re in bear territory carrying anything less than 10mm loaded with buffalo bore - you are an idiot.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I can see that - I guess it depends upon the situation and the temerity of the bear.  If I'm clearing my holster around a charging bear, I want the biggest amount of kinetic energy and penetration I can have as well as the ability if needed to reload quickly.  Seems on paper a Glock 20 would fit that bill nicely.  Reliable.  Lighter than a metal frame option.  15+1 capacity.  

13 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I’ve read that report.

If you’re in bear territory carrying anything less than 10mm loaded with buffalo bore - you are an idiot.

That’s why I gave one of my sons this Super Blackhawk years ago to carry when he and his kids went camping in New Mexico and Colorado. 

IMG_3011.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2024 at 9:02 AM, BabaYaga said:

You rang......?

And yea.....todays 10mm ain't what Norma 1st dropped on the market back then.  But, y'all are correct... Buffalo Bore makes a stinger.

I think the perceived advantage of the 10 right now in bear country in the round count and shootability / getting more shots back on target.  At least that's the concept. 

Once you pass a certain level of penetration, I don't think it's what you hit them with necessarily but where and the more wheres you can hit......the great chance of success. 

That bear the M&P stopped was already leaking from at least two rifle shots when it charged.  That helps - regardless of backup gun caliber.

B10.jpg

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Speaking of bear country, here’s dinner plate-sized track along a tributary of Wind River from fishing trip to Wyoming a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_4841.thumb.jpeg.9b9f4d18f57b9269d424d6f3cb8bc031.jpeg

Fishing in a place where something can and will eat you, hits a little different than out on the Llano or my Oklahoma streams. 

• Like 1

Picked up my first thermal monocular lens on prime day; AGM15-256 I believe. It’s a lower level model but excited to use it looking for hogs at night but mostly to use walking into bow stands at dark and making sure I don’t bump anything. Seems like it might be useful finding dead game in thick cover too

9 hours ago, Horn75 said:

Will the camera still function if placed in area with questionable cell service? 

It depends. There are parts of south Texas that are total att dead zones but great for Verizon. And vice versa. If nothing works well in the area you might be SOL.