Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not Three Sheets, but I took a stab at pickled japs a couple months ago and have been consistently doing them since, and eating them on everything. Im also lazy AF and don't bother de-seeding them. For a big jar about the size of his in the pic, I doa 1:1 ration of water and vinegar. Usually about a cup and a half of vinegar, a cup and a half of water. Simmer that in a pot on the stove with 2 tablespoons of salt until the salt is dissolved. It doesn't need to get to a rolling boil, just dissolve the salt. Cram the japs in the jar, maybe  with some garlic bulbs at the bottom. Pour the brine over the japs, jar and refrigerate. They're delicious in an hour, and they'll last weeks, although mine never do. 

Some folks put some sugar into the brine to make it sweeter, but not me. Whole process takes about 10 minutes. 

Counterpoint: "Holy shit most of these people have University of Texas degrees and are probably in the top quartile of human intelligence." /carlin

Thanks and I think thanks again?

I will try this and love the garlic clove idea. Will add 1 tbsp of sugar as well. 

56 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

A high-acid solution (50/50 water/vinegar) like this is great for pickling because you don't have to water bath the jars after filling and sealing. Much simpler way to can, imo.

Couple of extras for you, though:

1. Good idea to poke holes in the peppers so brine can enter the seed cavities. This ensures no fungus will grow inside.
  2.  Fill the jars to the top with the brine solution. No need to leave headspace for a waterbath like with traditional canning methods.

First time I ever pickled my  home-grown peppers this way I thought for sure they'd come out like Aunt Bea's pickles, but I was shocked at how delicious and crispy they were. They would snap with every bite. Way better than anything you can get at the store.

Also, I'd usually let them pickle for 2-3 weeks before opening, but eat however/whenever you want.

Yeah, the snap is the biggest positive. They're so damn fresh tasting. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thanks and I think thanks again?

I will try this and love the garlic clove idea. Will add 1 tbsp of sugar as well. 

if you want more flavor and also health benefits, try lactofermentation:

https://cultured.guru/blog/pepper-fermentation-recipe-how-to-ferment-peppers

(note: i don't think i've ever gone a month and a half, usually start eating them after it stops bubbling.  maybe i should try that next)

use wide mouth jars and silicone airlocks

https://www.amazon.com/Fermenting-Waterless-Fermentation-Fermenter-Fermented/dp/B09NPGLRN3

and some glass weights

https://www.amazon.com/Eleganttime-Glass-Fermentation-Weights-Handle/dp/B098WLW7RW

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man 1:1 water/vinegar seems way acidic, but maybe at some point you don't really notice a difference.  My brine is 3 cups of water,  1 cup of vinegar, a little less than a quarter cup of sea salt. And I don't heat the brine really, just enough to dissolve the salt. 

That's for jalapenos and serranos. For pickles I add garlic cloves and sprigs of dill to the jar. And peppercorns. 

Good to eat the next day. 

18 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Man 1:1 water/vinegar seems way acidic, but maybe at some point you don't really notice a difference.  My brine is 3 cups of water,  1 cup of vinegar, a little less than a quarter cup of sea salt. And I don't heat the brine really, just enough to dissolve the salt. 

That's for jalapenos and serranos. For pickles I add garlic cloves and sprigs of dill to the jar. And peppercorns. 

Good to eat the next day. 

Here's a link to the recipe I started using back in 2008. Scroll down to the "Traffic Light Pickled Peppers" recipe.

https://www.fieryfoodscentral.com/2008/08/06/processing-fresh-chiles-part-2-pickling/

I also brined my peppers overnight as instructed in the recipe. Never skipped that step so I don't know how much of an impact it has, but I will stress that my japs and hot Hungarian yellow waxies came out spectacularly crunchy.

Got back from the hoa pool late in the evening yesterday so I fired up so frito chili pie for the wife and kids and what have ya. Well we ran out of Fritos before old man deft could get a bowl so I fired up the air fryer with some taters and went all shank mode.

e1b26e093ae4852332b7ba8f37b888a7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2