Arch Manning Being "Arch"

LTtxfan

57 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Arch didn't play well but still had 258 yards and 2 TDs in 3 quarters.

Hope he learned some things.

It's a long season. 12 games plus a possible SEC Title game and 12 team playoff. It is possible Ewers might get hurt again and we will need Arch against somebody better than ULM and UTSA.

This is why I love this team and has me the most optimistic about this season.

The talent 2 or 3 (or 4) deep on both sides of the ball is incredible…. And absolutely vital in a college football world of a 16 game season.

And I know the talent stacking didn’t happen overnight but there is a part of it that feels that way. Sark is putting on a masterclass so far. 

Later on top of that, the schedule is about as ideal as you can get: typical cream puffs in September sandwiched around a hostile non-conference road game against the defending champ in a bit of rebuild mode complete with first SEC game against one of the bottom feeders to get any/all kinks ironed out before things really get started. I guess having that first game against a team like Miss St on the road would be better, but that’s quibbling.

hell even being the “visitor” in Dallas is great because it’s one less SEC road game we have to play and makes @ aggy our toughest road game the rest of the year. And even the timing of that game is helpful as a warmup for the SEC championship because I can’t imagine that game in UGA’s backyard will be any more intimidating than what we’ll deal with in College Station the week before.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Agree with this. Arch has gotten some great reps and even starting experience, and he’s showed a ton of potential. But he also showed tonight that he’s got a ways to go and Quinn is clearly the best QB on the team right now. 
I'd say he's even with or a bit ahead of where Quinn was in year one. But yeah, this is Quinn's team this year, Arch will be more than ready to take over next.

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Ducks? Dude was launching rockets out there for better or worse.

Yep, when a ball is being thrown 40+ yards it’s going to be in the air for a while no matter what. If anything, Arch needs to take some pace off his throws. The second INT was an on-target throw to Blue, but way too hot for the RB to come down with it. Arm strength is not a concern with Arch. 

• Like 1

He made 7 completions of 15 yards or longer. Another long completion (to Moore?) was called back for penalty. 

A few mid to deep balls were just within grasp. Remember all the hand-wringing about Quinns bombs being off the mark even with NFL speedster Worthy as the target?

Dude is going to be a treat for Sark when he gets the full time job. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Best possible scenario! Yes no one wanted Ewers to get hurt but couldn’t have come at a better time and best case injury scenario. 
Arch got some valuable time and experience, but definitely has a lot to work on. He’s a freshman so he still stares down his WR and believes to much in his arm throwing into double coverage. His deep balls do leave a lot to be desired at times, due to most receivers having to slow down. 

Also did y’all notice he didn’t run?!? I’m sure Sark told him, we know you can do that, let’s get better in the pocket. That really shows you how good he and this team is. Sark basically told Arch to play with his strong arm tied behind his back and we still made it look easy at times. 
Now Sark and Arch know what needs to be worked on to take that next step. 

This was probably the best case scenario. Here’s to no more injuries this season! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm sort of glad that Arch made some bad decisions as well as great plays. The last thing we need is a QB "controversy."

Dude could have thrown 80 yard TDs on every play and there wasn't going to be a QB controversy.

People are so damned Mack Brown brained about this. There is nothing wrong with having two great QBs. This is the kind of chickenshit that cost us a conference title chance in 2006 and a national championship chance in 2009. YOU FUCKING DO WANT TWO GREAT PLAYERS AT QB because this is football. People get hurt. So stop being afraid of it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, D3zii said:

His deep balls do leave a lot to be desired at times, due to most receivers having to slow down.  

That’s more a function of taking too long to pull the trigger than the deep ball, as such, imo. 

But, throwing them a little short almost always beats throwing them too long. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

That’s more a function of taking too long to pull the trigger than the deep ball, as such, imo. 

But, throwing them a little short almost always beats throwing them too long. 

Feels like with Quinn either through comfort or to mitigate injury they decided to go heavy on quick passes that feature his knowledge of the of the scheme and accuracy. With Arch they are going for longer passes that have Arch rolling a lot give him time. Those longer developing plays and Arch’s longer decision making is going to gas the oline. He’s also forcing stuff that isn’t there like Quinn did as a freshman which is normal. 

13 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

It's so easy to forget he's younger right now than Colt McCoy was when Colt got his first start. Arch is still a baby freshman, he just got here super early. Colt was 5 days away from turning 20 when Colt started, Arch won't turn 20 until next april.

The socks in my drawer are years older than Arch.

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think some of you are forgetting some of Quinn’s bad games in year 1.  Arch will be fine.  Needs to take a little off the ball tbh

I don’t think anyone is forgetting them. I don’t think people are saying he won’t be fine. I think we’re seeing why the “Arch should starts” idiocy was idiocy, is all. 

It’s nice to have a backup who can run the real offense at a fairly high level, but there’s a substantial drop off right now. That’s perfectly understandable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I don’t think anyone is forgetting them. I don’t think people are saying he won’t be fine. I think we’re seeing why the “Arch should starts” idiocy was idiocy, is all. 

It’s nice to have a backup who can run the real offense at a fairly high level, but there’s a substantial drop off right now. That’s perfectly understandable. 

My take has been Quinn is better now.  Arch will one day be better