Arch Manning Being "Arch"

LTtxfan

On 9/29/2024 at 1:47 PM, RichUT said:

I was in the stands the first time he came in and played mop up duty. One of his first drives ended with him throwing a pick and the fan base was so enamored with him that they still gave him a warm round of applause as he jogged off the field. It was almost like a “Great first try buddy! You’ll get em next time!” sort of thing. 

Little did everyone know that he’d end up making that something of a habit. 

Once he lost to Rice, it was clear he was never going to be great.

But just to be sure, Mackovic gave him three more starts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 8:56 PM, Hate said:

He still needs to learn to get down. He also needs to leave the pocket about a half second sooner. 

The last few weeks have gone about as well as you could hope. Quinn’s injury isn’t serious. Arch made some mistakes and then learned from them. The bye week gets everyone healthy and ready for OU. I look forward to seeing Arch in mop up duty the ready of the season. 

The best news from Arch's starts, our offense is going to be fucking elite again next year and the 2 years after that as I think he stays all 5 years.

• Haha 2

On 9/29/2024 at 4:34 AM, staboner said:

i would add that Miss State rolled out a trash plan on D. they rushed 4, even sometimes 3 players, allowing the longer routes to develop down the field. These are his strengths. His weaknesses are flares to the flat and screens. I would have thought the strategy would be to blitz more often and force him to make those types of throws. 

Or maybe they blitzed more than I remember and they sucked at it. 

Yeah, I'm not trying to be an asshole here but OU would've rattled him because they aren't going to sit back and let those long routes develop. I love the kid and everything but he had way way too much time in the pocket and used every bit of it at times. He is absolutely going to be a gamer but his clock has to speed up.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah, I'm not trying to be an asshole here but OU would've rattled him because they aren't going to sit back and let those long routes develop. I love the kid and everything but he had way way too much time in the pocket and used every bit of it at times. He is absolutely going to be a gamer but his clock has to speed up.

If you have time why not let plays develop?  I like that he takes big shots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It may not shock you, but it would probably shock the Manning family. 

Yep. Sark is an elite QB developer and Arch is here to learn from him. I doubt he'll stay five, but he's not leaving after his sophomore season. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Pods said:

Yep. Sark is an elite QB developer and Arch is here to learn from him. I doubt he'll stay five, but he's not leaving after his sophomore season. 

Redshirt sophomore season and a sure top 3 pick with “grandkids set for life” money if he goes? Yeah, he should go. 

3 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Redshirt sophomore season and a sure top 3 pick with “grandkids set for life” money if he goes? Yeah, he should go. 

Haven’t looked but wouldn’t shock me if he was #1 overall. Not sure if Peyton or Eli would’ve been #1 if they entered a year earlier.  

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Have a feeling you may have at least one of them ragrets once the board explains the monetary situation in the Cooper Manning household.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Archie told his grandson to enjoy highschool and college because they're the most fun parts of his life and the only times he'll get to play football without worrying about real life shit. His advice at Newman was to go hang out with his teammates when not playing and to enjoy life. 3rd generation NFL talent with multiple hall of fame family members, he doesn't have normal worries about money or fame like average people does. Just like Arch is the kind of player who only ever had 1 single tweet his entire recruitment, the kind of player who refused to transfer despite not being made immediately the starter, I get the feeling Arch will be the kind of player who stays until his eligibility is gone at Texas. Maybe if he's got multiple national championships under his belt by the time his senior year rolls around he'll bounce, but I wouldn't expect him to do so otherwise. The manning family keeps being vocal about their "process" and not rushing things.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

If you have time why not let plays develop?  I like that he takes big shots. 

When you take a deep shot you typically recognize you've got the coverage you like pretty early, even pre snap. Arch was holding the ball even when it wasn't there. That will get you killed vs good teams. He needs to be more selective. Granted, these are small criticisms for a kid who is really good at football. Young guys are typically impatient, so defenses try and make you string long drives together. 

9 hours ago, 83Horn said:

Hmmm...you know what's best for Arch?  Interesting.  Then you should know that he already has "grandkids set for life" money.

he'll declare for the draft when he feels he's ready, and it looks like the "right" team have the draft slot.

1. even if his family has money, he would want to earn his own (it's playing ball for 8 digits, not working spreadsheets 100hr/wk for 6...)

2. he would want the challenge of playing in the big leagues

• Hook 'Em 1

All this talk about the Manning family net worth seems to ignore the fact that the overwhelming majority of it is likely in Peyton and Eli Manning's estates.  I'm sure Cooper is doing fine, as well as Archie, but Arch has two siblings.  Maybe Peyton and Eli plan on distributing their wealth to their neices and nephews, I wouldn't know, but NIL and draft money are probably going to be what sets Arch up for the future.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

All this talk about the Manning family net worth seems to ignore the fact that the overwhelming majority of it is likely in Peyton and Eli Manning's estates.  I'm sure Cooper is doing fine, as well as Archie, but Arch has two siblings.  Maybe Peyton and Eli plan on distributing their wealth to their neices and nephews, I wouldn't know, but NIL and draft money are probably going to be what sets Arch up for the future.

Yep.  I have two very wealthy uncles.  I’m close to both of them — travel and family time very routinely.  But all their money is going to their kids.  As it should. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

According to Google Searches, Cooper is an energy trader with around $13mm in net worth.  Archie (grandpa): $10mm.  Eli: $160mm.  Peyton: $300mm.

Arch's dad is not poor, and Arch himself is making (at least) a living wage at Texas.  Money will not motivate him to leave early. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Cooper is doing okay with an estimated 13 million in net worth. 

8 hours ago, 6th Street said:

They don't want him to flame out like Trey Lance. Two full seasons as a starter are needed before heading to the NFL. 

I think the Lance situation is more about only facing JV teams in college 

10 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Yep.  I have two very wealthy uncles.  I’m close to both of them — travel and family time very routinely.  But all their money is going to their kids.  As it should. 

Is perhaps one of them experiencing signs of dementia, and possibly susceptible to some gentle influence?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

9 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

According to Google Searches, Cooper is an energy trader with around $13mm in net worth.  Archie (grandpa): $10mm.  Eli: $160mm.  Peyton: $300mm.

Arch's dad is not poor, and Arch himself is making (at least) a living wage at Texas.  Money will not motivate him to leave early. 

13m is nice.  But it ain’t 300m.  Arch can exceed that 300m.  13m is not grandkids don’t have to work money. 

no lock that he leaves next year.  It depends on the team with the #1 pick imo.  

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

He’s got NIL deals now. He’s making 7 figures. Have no illusions about the PR of autographed card revenue going to charity, there’s plenty going into the account for other efforts these days. 

image.jpeg.29aa809da9702efda782ed4459da92ee.jpeg

This is an accurate post.

Cooper Manning has holdings that far exceed the public estimations. They all do and they’ve supposedly gone in together through family office stuff on numerous RE and PE investments. All of their kids and grandkids and their grandkids are set. 

The reality is that there is always more money to be made when people and entities are throwing money at you. Sure. But that is also true as the starting QB at Texas. Arch Manning is going to make 1st round QB money or better each and every year he remains the starter at Texas. I think he’s going to be the first non-Livy Dunne 8 figure NIL per year earner without any support for that from TOF or other booster support. We’ll see, but it wouldn’t be a crazy jump from here. 

Doors That Open Like This Silicon Valley GIF - Doors That Open Like This Silicon  Valley Russ - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

No chance.  Wouldn’t shock me if he left after next year

I think the only way that happens is if Quinn goes down again so that Arch ends up getting most of the starts this year.  The Manning family has been preaching patience and NFL scouts want to see a lot of starts at QB.

I think that if a good franchise with a solid foundation had the #1 draft choice in 2026, there would be a concern of him leaving (with it all worked out in advance). 

Conversely, if some basket case franchise (like my Dallas Cowboys) had the top choice in 2027 and refused to let him find another spot, he might return. 

Point being- the Mannings like being in control of their destiny and they like being in good situations. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 8:56 PM, Hate said:

He still needs to learn to get down. He also needs to leave the pocket about a half second sooner. 

The last few weeks have gone about as well as you could hope. Quinn’s injury isn’t serious. Arch made some mistakes and then learned from them. The bye week gets everyone healthy and ready for OU. I look forward to seeing Arch in mop up duty the ready of the season. 

Needs to throw the ball the away instead of taking hits, and or run to sideline. Other than that a bit of touch on short passes.  He is going to be an ipo monster once he gets the touch down.

Just now, Alien Octopus said:

Needs to throw the ball the away instead of taking hits, and or run to sideline. Other than that a bit of touch on short passes.  He is going to be an ipo monster once he gets the touch down.

Figuring out timing in the pocket is an experience thing.

I’m more concerned about whether or not the guy can consistently hit the wheel route. I’m betting routes of that nature will be a major source of focus for him over time. I don’t think there’s anyone better on those types of touch passes than Ewers and it’s a major part of Sarkisian’s offensive structure. Flats, outs and wheels, all with the target moving away the ball rapidly. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, closetohumping said:

No chance.  Wouldn’t shock me if he left after next year

He is not leaving until he has started 25 college starts behind him.

9 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Archie told his grandson to enjoy highschool and college because they're the most fun parts of his life and the only times he'll get to play football without worrying about real life shit. His advice at Newman was to go hang out with his teammates when not playing and to enjoy life. 3rd generation NFL talent with multiple hall of fame family members, he doesn't have normal worries about money or fame like average people does. Just like Arch is the kind of player who only ever had 1 single tweet his entire recruitment, the kind of player who refused to transfer despite not being made immediately the starter, I get the feeling Arch will be the kind of player who stays until his eligibility is gone at Texas. Maybe if he's got multiple national championships under his belt by the time his senior year rolls around he'll bounce, but I wouldn't expect him to do so otherwise. The manning family keeps being vocal about their "process" and not rushing things.

That is the same thing Oliver Lick told his son Andrew. Don't go unless you are ready to give up the social life for film sessions and studying the play book.  Arch will not go against the advice of the people that have been behind him all his life.

Arch will step into an extremely rare situation, following Quinn & Sark, and leading a well oiled Texas Football machine on and off the field.  That situation will only improve over the next few years. He is positioned to be the Poster Child of Texas Football.  Why rush to get away from it.

54 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wouldn't know about this, but I always thought Arch coming to Texas got the elder Manning's into some choice Texas Real Estate development opportunities in Texas. 

14 hours ago, Thatguy said:

OU gave up 338 yards passing and 3 TD’s to shit ass Payton Thorne last week. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Figuring out timing in the pocket is an experience thing.

I’m more concerned about whether or not the guy can consistently hit the wheel route. I’m betting routes of that nature will be a major source of focus for him over time. I don’t think there’s anyone better on those types of touch passes than Ewers and it’s a major part of Sarkisian’s offensive structure. Flats, outs and wheels, all with the target moving away the ball rapidly. 

Genuinely asking, is Ewers running Sark's offense, or has Sark now curated it to fit Quinn's strengths? 

We used to take a lot more downfield shots in Quinn's first year, but couldn't make enough connections. Now Sark is fully embracing play calling that supports his strengths(accuracy on intermediate/short throws, quick release, touch & anticipation). 

Arch has a different skillset. His eyes are downfield more, and with his bigger frame is willing to take a hit to get the ball downfield. I expect this passing offense to look different next year. He definitely needs to learn when to put more touch on the ball, like that wheel route you mentioned. And I have very little concern about his timing in the pocket, I agree it's just an experience thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They have more depth at wr and I think he has tweaked the play calling to match Ewers strengths.  There's no point in chucking lots of low percentage deep balls when you have a qb who can carve a defense up on short and intermediate throws to fast and sure-handed receivers..

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They have more depth at wr and I think he has tweaked the play calling to match Ewers strengths.  There's no point in chucking lots of low percentage deep balls when you have a qb who can carve a defense up on short and intermediate throws to fast and sure-handed receivers..

Ewers is surgical and just as good off platform as he is in time on his dropbacks. That lends itself well to the short flares and sceens and intermediate stuff. Arch is mechanically flawless, but still slightly robotic when he has to turn his shoulders and throw. That is why he is better down the field. I don't think Sark is calling the game differently, I just think each guy sees the field differently. Ewers has more anticipation, better pre snap reads, and fast release to the flats, lending itself to shorter throws. Manning has more confidence in routes developing and his ability to hit them, but he is slower in his progressions. That means when he finds someone it is usually deeper down field. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

OU gave up 338 yards passing and 3 TD’s to shit ass Payton Thorne last week. 

They find a way to make thigns hard on us usually

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I think the only way that happens is if Quinn goes down again so that Arch ends up getting most of the starts this year.  The Manning family has been preaching patience and NFL scouts want to see a lot of starts at QB.

Either way it won't be a rash decision.  But I don't think 25 starts is a msut have.