Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I was just about to say the same thing. Aren't we the supposed leaders for her? 2 in the top 10 with the #1 overall would be massive. Our team is loaded with 5 stars, and adding Chavez would surely get us to the FF

I don’t know if we are her supposed leader but her top 10 is Tech, Arizona, OU, LSU, Texas, USC, SC, Ohio State, UCLA, Tenn 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I don’t know if we are her supposed leader but her top 10 is Tech, Arizona, OU, LSU, Texas, USC, SC, Ohio State, UCLA, Tenn 

Me being the biased bastard that I am, it looks to me like Vic can pull her in. We NEED her. I believe with her we can make it to the FF. We have so much talent that it's sickening, and he's only been here going on 4 years, and we've made 3 EE. He's got a lot to sell, especially with other players of her caliber (top 10 players). 

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Is Chavez supposed to announce soon or is she just going to show up on someone's campus?

Why does she need to just show up somewhere? Early signing period is November, regular period is April-May 2025 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Seems like the type of program changing player that the loony tech boosters will offer an obscene NIL number. 

Sure, but there’s no guarantee Gerlich will be her coach. Especially if they miss the NCAAs yet again 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Why does she need to just show up somewhere? Early signing period is November, regular period is April-May 2025 

Thanks, that's the info I was interested in. Seems like her recruitment has been discussed for a long time, but I've also lost track of time.

Edited by Chopper

The thing with Chavez is I actually think stylistically we are a much better fit than South Carolina and LSU. 

Mulkey and Staley run a very half-court-oriented offense where they want to pound the ball in the paint. Chavez wants to run and play in a wide-open offense where she has some freedom. HVL is a prime example of why that type of player doesn't work with Mulkey. 

Injuries the last couple of years have kind of made people forget how Vic actually wants to play. Full-court pressure and playing in the open court. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The thing with Chavez is I actually think stylistically we are a much better fit than South Carolina and LSU. 

Mulkey and Staley run a very half-court-oriented offense where they want to pound the ball in the paint. Chavez wants to run and play in a wide-open offense where she has some freedom. HVL is a prime example of why that type of player doesn't work with Mulkey. 

Injuries the last couple of years have kind of made people forget how Vic actually wants to play. Full-court pressure and playing in the open court. 

Yeah, this is a very good point.

Imagine Madison Booker, Justice Carlton, Bryanna Preston, Jordan Lee, and Aaliyah Crump to go with Chavez. All 5 stars. Add in Kyla Oldacre as a transfer, and Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda as a senior, and Vic can make magic happen with this group. This would be a final 4 group. 

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think this is a LSU and Texas battle. NIL going to heavily influence this one. 

Not surprised Tenn and Ohio State got cut, based on having secured commitments from some top PGs in 2024/2025 already.

I'd watch out for OU - that offense is fun to play in and isn't far from home. 

• Rage+1 1

On 7/23/2024 at 2:41 PM, Js1 said:

Not surprised Tenn and Ohio State got cut, based on having secured commitments from some top PGs in 2024/2025 already.

I'd watch out for OU - that offense is fun to play in and isn't far from home. 

https://www.on3.com/her/news/no-1-womens-basketball-recruit-aaliyah-chavez-narrows-list-to-six/

From the article above, Chavez's comments about her remaining six schools make it sound like she's much higher on LSU and OU. OU doesn't use offensive sets like Texas does which is how Chavez likes to play. What she says about Texas isn't very reassuring:

Texas

“They were one of my first offers too, so just keeping them in. They’re close to home. They recruit me well. I think I talk to them almost every day too and they always have high energy.” 

1 hour ago, 86txex said:

https://www.on3.com/her/news/no-1-womens-basketball-recruit-aaliyah-chavez-narrows-list-to-six/

From the article above, Chavez's comments about her remaining six schools make it sound like she's much higher on LSU and OU. OU doesn't use offensive sets like Texas does which is how Chavez likes to play. What she says about Texas isn't very reassuring:

Texas

“They were one of my first offers too, so just keeping them in. They’re close to home. They recruit me well. I think I talk to them almost every day too and they always have high energy.” 

Yep, in this day and age she may be “keeping Texas in” to drive the price up for LSU/OU if those are her top 2. From a money standpoint she’s playing the recruiting game smartly 

Posted (edited)

It was discussed on the UCONN board but when likes were still public on twitter Chavez was liking a bunch of comments about NIL.

She's going to the school that pays her the most money. All the other discussions are pointless.

Edited by Rickylovesweed

5 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yep, in this day and age she may be “keeping Texas in” to drive the price up for LSU/OU if those are her top 2. From a money standpoint she’s playing the recruiting game smartly 

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It was discussed on the UCONN board but when likes were still public on twitter Chavez was liking a bunch of comments about NIL.

She's going to the school that pays her the most money. All the other discussions are pointless.

We’re all starting to understand as well as anyone that the batshit crazy recruitment can scare up some weird levels of money. Obviously this could be one of those recruitments. 

That said, OU has focused on football, gymnastics, and softball. They’ve overspent in football for the 2024 cycle and had to pull back a few times in heated recruitments in order to win some others. If Chavez is a $500k recruit, the first of her kind in WBB, and they’re paying that, they will be robbing peter to pay Aaliyah. As the numbers go higher, it makes their squeeze elsewhere more acute. 

LSU is currently making ridiculous promises to football recruits, setting the market in baseball, paying for gymnastics and WBB. There is significant doubt that they’re going to be able to live up to their promises in football and their own $9.95ers have admitted on multiple occasions that they can’t match the big boys. Kelly also admitted as much with his “we don’t get involved in bidding wars” nonsense. Does Mulkey have someone backing her that can make all of that irrelevant? I don’t know. 

Texas has serious money interested in ensuring that WBB is a priority in NIL. There’s also work being done to line up a strong corporate sponsorship component. 

My view is that Texas can win this recruitment even though Texas might not be the choice without NIL. They need to get an OV and lay it all out. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 1:29 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Imagine Madison Booker, Justice Carlton, Bryanna Preston, Jordan Lee, and Aaliyah Crump to go with Chavez. All 5 stars. Add in Kyla Oldacre as a transfer, and Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda as a senior, and Vic can make magic happen with this group. This would be a final 4 group. 

Hate to interrupt your stargasm, sir, but I’d just like to point out that the great Karen Aston once fielded a team with TEN (10) 5-stars (including seven top seven recruits) on it (with some services’ #1 recruit in the next class on the way). I imagine it will be tough to retain all of that talent these days, when other highly motivated programs have starter minutes and generous NIL packages to offer to highly coveted rotation players at their current school, but that would be a great lineup. Do carry on.

• Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Hate to interrupt your stargasm, sir, but I’d just like to point out that the great Karen Aston once fielded a team with TEN (10) 5-stars (including seven top seven recruits) on it (with some services’ #1 recruit in the next class on the way). I imagine it will be tough to retain all of that talent these days, when other highly motivated programs have starter minutes and generous NIL packages to offer to highly coveted rotation players at their current school, but that would be a great lineup. Do carry on.

Aston was ass, and you have to be one of the shittiest coaches in college to screw that up. An absolute abject failure. She's basically the Shaka Smart of women's bball. Just unbelievable at how awful she was. I have nothing but nightmares of her strolling the sidelines. 

But at least we have Vic. Dude has made the Elite Eight 3 out of his 4 seasons. He has the chops and roster to make it past that, and we were a #1 seed this year. He has us on the right track. With that line-up, I truly believe we're Final Four bound. He's like Sark compared to Strong when it comes to him vs Aston. We land Chavez and it's on, brother. He's made watching the lady Horns fun again. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

Texas made the cut for #2 ranked player, G Jazzy Davidson in her top 6. She eliminated South Carolina, LSU, and Tennessee. We're up against TCU, USC, UCLA, Duke, and UConn. UConn might be our only real knockout fight. She's from Colorado. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Texas made the cut for #2 ranked player, G Jazzy Davidson in her top 6. She eliminated South Carolina, LSU, and Tennessee. We're up against TCU, USC, UCLA, Duke, and UConn. UConn might be our only real knockout fight. She's from Colorado. 

Vic is just legit. Even if we don’t get her, top 10 prospects love us 

• Like 2

Just now, Js1 said:

Vic is just legit. Even if we don’t get her, top 10 prospects love us 

Concur with this. Dude is not only a baller as a coach, but his recruiting is second to none. 

I truly believe we'll land Aaliyah Chavez and Jazzy Davidson. Jazzy loves Vic. He's a magician as a recruiter. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Concur with this. Dude is not only a baller as a coach, but his recruiting is second to none. 

I truly believe we'll land Aaliyah Chavez and Jazzy Davidson. Jazzy loves Vic. He's a magician as a recruiter. 

Gerry “predicted” AC to Tech but I doubt it because she has repeatedly said she wants to play for the same coach for 4 years. Hard to see Gerlich making the NCAAs next year to earn a contract extension. Texas and OU may be gone, but Arizona, Utah and CU are salty + TCU loaded up. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Gerry “predicted” AC to Tech but I doubt it because she has repeatedly said she wants to play for the same coach for 4 years. Hard to see Gerlich making the NCAAs next year to earn a contract extension. Texas and OU may be gone, but Arizona, Utah and CU are salty + TCU loaded up. 

Vic has been on her as long as he was with Booker. I would be shocked if she doesn't end up with us, but also more pissed than anything. She's the key to unlock what we're missing. 

And yeah, no way she ends up at Tech. Gerlich isn't doing anything with that team, and she would be a waste. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If Tech makes AC a Canady type offer well....we know how that goes.

At least Glasco is a good coach (albeit overrated). 

Gerlich is fucking terrible. 0 NCAA tournament appearances in 11 years as a head coach. I think Tech would have to go way over everyone else's offer because no top player wants to play for Gerlich.

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

At least Glasco is a good coach (albeit overrated). 

Gerlich is fucking terrible. 0 NCAA tournament appearances in 11 years as a head coach. I think Tech would have to go way over everyone else's offer because no top player wants to play for Gerlich.

You mean like offering 7 figures just as I presented in my original comment? 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You mean like offering 7 figures just as I presented in my original comment? 

7 figures wouldn’t be way over anything for a womens basketball star.  Might not be common right now, but isn’t unheard of like a softball player.