Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

On 9/19/2024 at 10:46 AM, BabaYaga said:

Driving/parking on the AR campus on game days......shoot me in the face

Ha. Yes, exactly.  What a cluster F.  We ended up parking at the high school for $20 and walking to the game.  That will be my plan when we go back for the UT vs. Pig game in November.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/19/2024 at 9:54 AM, BrazilHorn said:

My son is a senior at AHS and in the application process. Can't get into UT (could do the 1 year at UTSA deal but doesn't want to).

He just got accepted to Alabama and still has applications out to Auburn, FSU, Tenn, S. Car, LSU and Ok. State

Will see where he ends up. I agree with post above how Common app is simple but a real PITA as while it says "common", every school has their quirks.

Congrats on Bama. Did he consider Georgia? My oldest is there and loves it. Athens is a very cool town -- reminds us a lot of how Austin felt 30 years ago. So many Texas kids there too.

9 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

Congrats on Bama. Did he consider Georgia? My oldest is there and loves it. Athens is a very cool town -- reminds us a lot of how Austin felt 30 years ago. So many Texas kids there too.

Georgia is also considered a much better school than Bama, for whatever that matters.

24 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

athens became the southeast slacker austin at the same time as austin became slacker austin, and has stayed that way, unlike austin

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Ha. Yes, exactly.  What a cluster F.  We ended up parking at the high school for $20 and walking to the game.  That will be my plan when we go back for the UT vs. Pig game in November.

Fayetteville HS?  We did too.  We have friends with a pre-set-up tailgating tent.  Next time there is a home game, message me and I'll tell you where we are.  It's across the main road where the food trucks are, by the little creek that cuts through the tailgating section.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, royiv said:

Reading all these stories of Surly kids going out of state really demonstrates the brain drain that Texas is going to suffer as a result of not investing in higher education.

how much has UT grown the freshman class the past 10 years ?

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

how much has UT grown the freshman class the past 10 years ?

They've hovered around 9K for a while +/-.  The school is out of space.  They're locked in.  So they're tightening their admissions YOY to make it more prestigious/selective to get in.  Business school is a MF'er to get into these days.  It's ridiculous.  Same with most of the engineering options

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cap33 said:

He might add it. He has painted all around it. With S. Car, Tenn, FSU. I have heard great things about GA. 

4 hours ago, Cap33 said:

Oldest is a freshman at UGA this fall. She has had a great experience so far. Comparing with other schools that her friends are at TN, MS, Aub, LSU, etc, the school/clubs have put a lot more effort into getting kids connected. She walked in knowing 2 people on campus and feels right at home at this point. It has its issues like the homeless population taking over downtown, parking issues, etc but she couldn’t be happier with her decision at this point.

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

He might add it. He has painted all around it. With S. Car, Tenn, FSU. I have heard great things about GA. 

We liked Clemson a lot more than South Carolina when we looked at them. Clemson also had a really strong honors program if that makes any difference. She got a pretty good offer from them, but GA had always been number 1 on her list and we agreed to pay the bill if she got accepted.

18 hours ago, Brew said:

We liked Clemson a lot more than South Carolina when we looked at them. Clemson also had a really strong honors program if that makes any difference. She got a pretty good offer from them, but GA had always been number 1 on her list and we agreed to pay the bill if she got accepted.

I would be open to him going to clemson as well. He’s applied to like 8 schools so far so trying to have some options open. 

On 9/20/2024 at 2:37 PM, BabaYaga said:

Fayetteville HS?  We did too.  We have friends with a pre-set-up tailgating tent.  Next time there is a home game, message me and I'll tell you where we are.  It's across the main road where the food trucks are, by the little creek that cuts through the tailgating section.  

My twins are freshmen there as well (supply chain). If your kid has on campus parking, they supposedly can get a tag from the parking department that allows them to get on/off campus to get back to their garage on game days.  Our plan for the UT game is to have them pick us up from our rental condo on game day. (According to one of the parent FB groups)

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Grimas said:

My twins are freshmen there as well (supply chain). If your kid has on campus parking, they supposedly can get a tag from the parking department that allows them to get on/off campus to get back to their garage on game days.  Our plan for the UT game is to have them pick us up from our rental condo on game day. (According to one of the parent FB groups)

He's in Founders and has a parking pass that we got for him for the year.  We're planning on parking at the Fayetteville HS like we did for the UAB game.  $20 and the walk's not bad to the stadium.  I will say the second week I took him for orientation I dropped him off and got lost as I had to park further away.  Fucking hell.  Walking that campus, those stairs, man.  I'm in decent shape, but it kicked my ass.  

On to the second kid.  Got her mom's brains.  We got calls from a few D1 schools for sports, but we're really connecting with the smaller school coaches (I get it, they have to try harder).  WashU in St Louis and Carnegie Mellon are both actively reaching out and they are damn good schools.  Anyone know anyone that went to either?  Brown in RI also reached out.  Stretch goal, but a dad can dream....

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

WashU in St Louis and Carnegie Mellon are both actively reaching out and they are damn good schools.  Anyone know anyone that went to either?  

This isn't much, but I know two kids who attend WashU, one of whom interned for me a couple of summers ago. He's from L.A. and the other from Long Island, both without any family connection to the school. They both love it, and their parents are very pleased with the academic support the school provides. My daughter was accepted to WashU last year but chose to focus on schools with graduate programs in veterinary medicine, so she didn’t end up visiting the campus. I was disappointed but I do like the in-state public school tuition.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

On to the second kid.  Got her mom's brains.  We got calls from a few D1 schools for sports, but we're really connecting with the smaller school coaches (I get it, they have to try harder).  WashU in St Louis and Carnegie Mellon are both actively reaching out and they are damn good schools.  Anyone know anyone that went to either?  

Wash U is fantastic.  My Dad did all 3 of his degrees there (BS/MS/PhD in Civil Engineering) and taught there for quite a while.  Mom did her BS (Philosophy) there.  My sister taught there (piano).  It absolutely deserves the "midwest Ivy" accolades, on par with Northwestern, Rice, Vandy, etc.  Wonderful community where the profs tend to be very connected to the students.  Many of my HS classmates went there and consistently praise the school.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wash U is fantastic.  My Dad did all 3 of his degrees there (BS/MS/PhD in Civil Engineering) and taught there for quite a while.  Mom did her BS (Philosophy) there.  My sister taught there (piano).  It absolutely deserves the "midwest Ivy" accolades, on par with Northwestern, Rice, Vandy, etc.  Wonderful community where the profs tend to be very connected to the students.  Many of my HS classmates went there and consistently praise the school.

Everything I see and hear about the school screams excellence.  Sure, it's DIII, but they've won multiple recent championships in her sport and are undefeated this year.  I just don't want her to settle on an academically challenged school just to play D1.  There is a life after sports that matters much more than the jersey you wear for four years.  

My neighbor before he moved got his MBA from there - dude was sharp.  

6 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Have two friends that went to Wash U (they are married). She’s a successful architect and he’s a partner at Bain (HBS MBA grad as well). 

Interestingly, architecture is something she's gravitating towards.  You have to have the mindset for it, from the little I've been exposed to around the field.  

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

This isn't much, but I know two kids who attend WashU, one of whom interned for me a couple of summers ago. He's from L.A. and the other from Long Island, both without any family connection to the school. They both love it, and their parents are very pleased with the academic support the school provides. My daughter was accepted to WashU last year but chose to focus on schools with graduate programs in veterinary medicine, so she didn’t end up visiting the campus. I was disappointed but I do like the in-state public school tuition.

Vet's are printing money these days - especially the urban, small animal shops.  It's like a derm doc opening up a skin care shop where everyone pays cash and the elasticity of pricing can stretch pretty damn far.  There are even PE guys that flirt with recent graduates with millions of dollars of lines of credit to get a price of their practice.  Wish mine wanted to go that route...

We know several kids at Wash U, ours considered it but ended up wanting big school, football, etc. Only downside is it’s in St Louis which isn’t the greatest “big” city to be in by any stretch, but it has some really nice communities within the City. The Forest Park area where the school borders up to is one of those communities to be in. You also aren’t very far from the new soccer stadium and plenty of other things to do.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Every Wash U grad I've ever met is whip smart and cool. 

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Everything I see and hear about the school screams excellence.  Sure, it's DIII, but they've won multiple recent championships in her sport and are undefeated this year.  I just don't want her to settle on an academically challenged school just to play D1.  There is a life after sports that matters much more than the jersey you wear for four years.  

My neighbor before he moved got his MBA from there - dude was sharp.  

Interestingly, architecture is something she's gravitating towards.  You have to have the mindset for it, from the little I've been exposed to around the field.  

Beware, it can be a brutal career path.  There's a huge "art" aspect to it, in addition to the technical matter, and, ultimately, if people don't like your designs, you wind up working for someone whose designs they do like, and not necessarily as a well-compensated assistant.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

He's in Founders and has a parking pass that we got for him for the year.  We're planning on parking at the Fayetteville HS like we did for the UAB game.  $20 and the walk's not bad to the stadium.  I will say the second week I took him for orientation I dropped him off and got lost as I had to park further away.  Fucking hell.  Walking that campus, those stairs, man.  I'm in decent shape, but it kicked my ass.  

Mine are down the hill at Pomfret by the stadium - they joke that the have to climb Currahee to go to classes... "3 miles up, 3 mile down..." Their parking is at Harmon (on the hill) so needless to say, not many miles being put on the car but on game days, to get the car back into the garage, they need to get a pass otherwise they cant get back onto campus until after the game restrictions end (supposedly). We may just Uber for the UT game as our rental is just on the other side of the "freeway". I'll PM you closer to the game to see where you are tailgating...

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Grimas said:

Mine are down the hill at Pomfret by the stadium - they joke that the have to climb Currahee to go to classes... "3 miles up, 3 mile down..." Their parking is at Harmon (on the hill) so needless to say, not many miles being put on the car but on game days, to get the car back into the garage, they need to get a pass otherwise they cant get back onto campus until after the game restrictions end (supposedly). We may just Uber for the UT game as our rental is just on the other side of the "freeway". I'll PM you closer to the game to see where you are tailgating...

That hill is a kick in the junk.  Hit me up and I'll coordinate for the game

• Hook 'Em 1

Got home last night from touring Arkansas with my son and I think they're the leader in the clubhouse. He's a very outdoorsy kid, so we drove up to Flippin Saturday and stayed at White River Trout Club and fished with an awesome younger guide Sunday. The drive from Flippin to Fayetteville is beautiful but aggravating with the slow-ass Arkies on two lane roads. It was cloudy but low 70s yesterday, which was awesome with all the walking. They do a great job with the tours with the personalized itinerary packets, free t shits, stickers, etc. I think 5 of our 6 tour guides were Texas kids. We toured the rec building, general campus tour, and the School of Engineering, then had the admissions presentation. With his GPA and test scores, it's got to be one of the best education values in the country. I love how they lean into the outdoor opportunities as part of the college experience there. They've even got a mini outfitter in the Rec center where you can check out gear like sleeping bags and tents, rock climbing gear etc for free. You can even rent nice full suspension mountain bikes for $10/day. We've still got CU and CSU next month, but unless they throw money at him I'd bet he ends up at UA. 

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Got home last night from touring Arkansas with my son and I think they're the leader in the clubhouse. He's a very outdoorsy kid, so we drove up to Flippin Saturday and stayed at White River Trout Club and fished with an awesome younger guide Sunday. The drive from Flippin to Fayetteville is beautiful but aggravating with the slow-ass Arkies on two lane roads. It was cloudy but low 70s yesterday, which was awesome with all the walking. They do a great job with the tours with the personalized itinerary packets, free t shits, stickers, etc. I think 5 of our 6 tour guides were Texas kids. We toured the rec building, general campus tour, and the School of Engineering, then had the admissions presentation. With his GPA and test scores, it's got to be one of the best education values in the country. I love how they lean into the outdoor opportunities as part of the college experience there. They've even got a mini outfitter in the Rec center where you can check out gear like sleeping bags and tents, rock climbing gear etc for free. You can even rent nice full suspension mountain bikes for $10/day. We've still got CU and CSU next month, but unless they throw money at him I'd bet he ends up at UA. 

Check out YT bike shop in Bentonville.  You can rent ebikes for next to nothing and they serve craft beer at their office/shop.  When it's warmer, I hear floating the King River is a blast.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Clemson is basically ACC Aggy, they are cultish and love their rings.  UGA, Tenn, SC, Bama, FSU are all better options IMO.  

Seems like an odd comparison, they actually have championships in the 2010’s. Academics wise on that list UGA is by itself, Clemson would be behind FSU and then well ahead of the others. They also have a strong honors program.