Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

On 9/29/2024 at 1:14 PM, South Austin said:

My best friend’s daughter is a sophomore at CU and is loving it. Only complaint is that the school and the town are really expensive.

In any event, you’ll have a great place to visit your daughter.

This is causing Rojo Jr a lot of heartburn. We got home from our Arkansas tour and started running numbers. The net of it is he could graduate from Arkansas/Tech/LSU, etc and have money left over for grad school or savings, or he could go to a Colorado school and graduate with $30K-$50K in debt. 

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

This is causing Rojo Jr a lot of heartburn. We got home from our Arkansas tour and started running numbers. The net of it is he could graduate from Arkansas/Tech/LSU, etc and have money left over for grad school or savings, or he could go to a Colorado school and graduate with $30K-$50K in debt. 

I would easily take on $30k-$50k debt to avoid those schools mentioned in favor of CU.  Have you been to Lubbock?  It’s like an episode of The Walking Dead when the kids aren’t in school.  

Edited by LCHorn

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

My daughter didn't consider Colorado for other reasons, but am glad she didn't, because that school is notoriously stingy with any kind of merit aid for nonresidents, probably because the school is always in high demand.  Contrast that with Oregon, which threw some generous aid at my daughter, making her college choice so much easier on my finances.  And she got into the honors college, giving her a more rigorous curriculum than the gen pop.

You may be doing this, but have an honest conversation with your son about college finances.  Certainly over the academics in comparing universities, but be honest about what amount you can or will fund, and let them know that their choice might entail taking on a large amount of debt that could possibly take decades to pay off.

I'll be rooting for Arkansas, and would have no problem if my son considers going there.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I would easily take on $30k-$50k debt to avoid those schools mentioned in favor of CU.  Have you been to Lubbock?  It’s like an episode of The Walking Dead when the kids aren’t in school.  

he has no serious interest in Tech. He loved Arkansas largely because it gives him a similar outdoor experience to the Colorado schools at a significant discount. (Yes, RMNP is a better playground than the Ozarks, but for a Texas kid it's still a step up, and he has trout fishing in 3 states within 1.5 hrs of campus. (He's a big fly fisherman)

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Like 1

A niche comment, but for those with kids interested in Colorado schools, if they happen to be a registered member of a Native American tribe with historical ties to Colorado, they qualify for in-state tuition.

We heard about that from CSU when the older one visited, but did not realize that it applies to all state institutions in Colorado until later.  Would have saved me some last year, but better late than never.

Here's a list of the eligible tribes:

Spoiler

Apache Tribe of Oklahoma
Cheyenne & Arapaho Tribes of Oklahoma
Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe
Comanche Nation, Oklahoma
Crow Creek Sioux Tribe
Crow Tribe
Eastern Shoshone Tribe (Wind River Reservation)
Fort Sill Apache Tribe
The Hopi Tribe
Jicarilla Apache Nation
Kewa Pueblo (formerly the Pueblo of Santo Domingo)
Kiowa Tribe of Oklahoma
Mescalero Apache Tribe
Navajo Nation
Northern Arapaho Tribe
Northern Cheyenne Tribe
Oglala Sioux Tribe
Ohkay Owingeh (Pueblo of San Juan)
Osage Nation
Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah
Pawnee Nation of Oklahoma
Pueblo of Acoma
Pueblo de Cochiti
Pueblo of Isleta
Pueblo of Jemez
Pueblo of Laguna
Pueblo of Nambe
Pueblo of Picuris
Pueblo of Pojoaque
Pueblo of San Felipe
Pueblo of San Ildefonso
Pueblo of Sandia
Pueblo of Santa Ana
Pueblo of Santa Clara
Pueblo of Taos
Pueblo of Tesuque
Pueblo of Zia
Rosebud Sioux Tribe
San Juan Southern Paiute Tribe
Shoshone-Bannock Tribes
Southern Ute Indian Tribe
Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
Three Affiliated Tribes
Ute Indian Tribe (Uintah & Ouray Reservation)
Ute Mountain Ute Tribe
Wichita & Affiliated Tribes
Ysleta del Sur Pueblo
Zuni Tribe of the Zuni Reservation

I expect this will further inspire the younger one to look hard at CU/CSU.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

he has no serious interest in Tech. He loved Arkansas largely because it gives him a similar outdoor experience to the Colorado schools at a significant discount. (Yes, RMNP is a better playground than the Ozarks, but for a Texas kid it's still a step up, and he has trout fishing in 3 states within 1.5 hrs of campus. (He's a big fly fisherman)

Fayetteville is a cool college town and that part of the country is beautiful. Have friends that had a son graduate from Arkansas and he was super happy there and they were super happy with the school. If he wants the college town experience, I would think it would be a reallly good option.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Fayetteville is a cool college town and that part of the country is beautiful. Have friends that had a son graduate from Arkansas and he was super happy there and they were super happy with the school. If he wants the college town experience, I would think it would be a reallly good option.

Yea, between all my various friend groups I probably know 7-8 families that sent kids up there and none of them have had a bad thing to say about it.