Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

Sounds like these were put into the latest batch of pagers they received. It is rumored that they were updated due to a potential Israli security breach of their network and so they got upadted more "secure" comms..

Which means the Israelis purposely left a bug that Hezbollah would find but would not suspect. 

• Hook 'Em 3

From BBC live updates.

We're hearing that people in Syria, which borders Lebanon, have also been injured by the exploding pagers.

"Fourteen people whose nationalities are unknown have been wounded in Damascus and its countryside after pagers used by Hezbollah exploded," the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights - a UK-based monitoring group - says.

The is in addition to the eight who've so far been announced dead and almost 3,000 injured in Lebanon.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

From BBC live updates.

We're hearing that people in Syria, which borders Lebanon, have also been injured by the exploding pagers.

"Fourteen people whose nationalities are unknown have been wounded in Damascus and its countryside after pagers used by Hezbollah exploded," the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights - a UK-based monitoring group - says.

The is in addition to the eight who've so far been announced dead and almost 3,000 injured in Lebanon.

How many of these did they make? How many did Hezbollah buy? Did Isreal really just con them into replacing their entire coms network to devices they control, and then to go a step farther people bombs in them all... It make me curious about did they include a microphone and tracker for realtime tracking while they were at it?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

How many of these did they make? How many did Hezbollah buy? Did Isreal really just con them into replacing their entire coms network to devices they control, and then to go a step farther people bombs in them all... It make me curious about did they include a microphone and tracker for realtime tracking while they were at it?

Yeah, hell of an operation no matter how they did it.

What is interesting is this means they were able to track them all this time? Mossad played the long game and played it well.

If I was in Hamas I would be scared shitless and not using any device. Massive impact to communications procedures that will take time to replace.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

2 for 1 deals are damn hard to pass up 

reminds me of giving iranian nuclear scientists special  thumb drives at trade shows 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, hell of an operation no matter how they did it.

What is interesting is this means they were able to track them all this time? Mossad played the long game and played it well.

If I was in Hamas I would be scared shitless and not using any device. Massive impact to communications procedures that will take time to replace.

Exactly. They’re not going to trust any device. If I were Israel I would allow more rumors that they could do this to any device and/or there are more out there.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I think that is a given. But they had to be told to go off at the same time. That is masterful.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Prolly a small explosive that was triggered by a signal that covered the region.

Savage and masterful.  Chef’s kiss.

If it was a supply chain attack, they could have just put timers into each of the pagers and make sure they're all on the same time sync. Completely undetectable when things start going boom since there's no signals to intercept

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Exactly. They’re not going to trust any device. If I were Israel I would allow more rumors that they could do this to any device and/or there are more out there.

Hire Cricket to do a media campaign. 5 lines for 5 shekels.

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

If it was a supply chain attack, they could have just put timers into each of the pagers and make sure they're all on the same time sync. Completely undetectable when things start going boom since there's no signals to intercept

Yeah, we do not know if all went off. IDF should announce that all did not go off.

• Haha 2

A Lebanese security source tells Al Jazeera that the Hezbollah pagers that exploded earlier today were imported to Lebanon five months ago. The report says that the communication devices were rigged with up to 20 grams of explosive material. A separate report by the UAE-based Sky News Arabia claims that the Mossad placed PETN, a powerful explosive material, on the batteries of the pagers and detonated them by raising the temperature.

This is a brilliant approach. The batteries themselves can be mass produced and easily included in the devices. On top of that, since they are simply telling the pager force overheat, it makes them so much harder to detect. The big part is how did they set up the signal to make them overheat? Did they have all the pager numbers? Did they set up a RF setup to set off the overheat?

Amazing set of trade craft.

7 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yep, but your 72 virgins are gonna be a waste. 

I await always-quick-to-post bolverk and fantana’s commentary on this development. 

If you think that there's going to be any material criticism of a well-targeted operation that blew the balls off of Hezbollah shitheels....well, that says more about you and the lies you've told yourself than anything else.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

If you think that there's going to be any material criticism of a well-targeted operation that blew the balls off of Hezbollah shitheels....well, that says more about you and the lies you've told yourself than anything else.

Oh I think you understand my point well enough. Had this been IDF members becoming eunuchs, bolverk would’ve posted 4 longcats about it, and Fantana would be smugly spewing diarrhea all over the thread.  But sure, Brisket, that thought says a lot about me. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

Oh I think you understand my point well enough. Had this been IDF members becoming eunuchs, bolverk would’ve posted 4 longcats about it, and Fantana would be smugly spewing diarrhea all over the thread.  But sure, Brisket, that thought says a lot about me. 

Really?  You think they would have celebrated a targeted strike against IDF soldiers the way that the rest of us are pleased about a targeted attack on Hezbollah militants?

Yeah.  That does say a lot about you.

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I gotta say....just a brilliant operation.  Golf clap.  Got a shitload of the right people, all at once.  And bonus: in a way that sure as hell minimizes collateral damage.  Looking forward to reading the articles about this op in a few years.

I’m dying to know how the Israeli’s got their hooks into someone at the pager company.

How long until the dispute on campus in America protest this for being unfair.

NYT reporting that the devices beeped for a few seconds before going off, and also that there are a lot of eye injuries (because you’re looking at the message).  I’d love to know if it said something.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/09/17/world/israel-hamas-war-news

Hezbollah’s pagers targeted: Three officials briefed on the attack said that the operation had targeted hundreds of pagers belonging to Hezbollah operativeswho have used such devices for years to make it harder for their messages to be intercepted. The use of pagers had became even more widespread after the Oct. 7 attacks, when Hezbollah’s chief warned that Israeli intelligence had penetrated the cellphone network, security experts said. The devices were programmed to beep for several seconds before exploding, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I’m dying to know how the Israeli’s got their hooks into someone at the pager company.

How long until the dispute on campus in America protest this for being unfair.

I'm sure there will be some idiot protestor types who will say that.  Who gives a fuck?  There were idiot contrarian full-time protestor types who would take all manner of indefensibly dumb positions back when I was on campus, and there still are today.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

A combatant struck another combatant in a clever, targeted way that minimized secondary casualties.  And even if you disagree with the overall Israeli approach since October 7th, and even the Israeli approach that kept shit bad before then, all but the most radicalized agree that Israel had a right to respond to October 7th and to fight back against militants launching rockets against it in recent weeks/months.  Israel just did that.  Good on 'em.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

To be clear on this, anyone using a pager in 2024 is a terrorist or human trafficker so finding out who supplied these things likely was not a big mystery. Not a big market. 

A bunch of doctors are looking around nervously after taking that stray from you.