Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

18 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Deliberate, patient, and targeted.

Now THIS is how you go about combatting a terrorist organization. There's obviously no guarantee of zero collateral damage, but hats off to Israeli intelligence for creatively devising a way to fuck up as many dickheads as possible while also minimizing harm to innocents.

We could call this one "Operation Hezbollah Hobbled (literally)."

And long term impact. No trust in comms, lack of command and control, and knowing who was who.

Fucking brilliant.

• Hook 'Em 3

Every video of injured is a male between the ages of 18-45.  The hospital video making the rounds has what appears to be one single kid who could be a teenager being carried.  I've not seen a single woman injured or kids and hezbollah would be advertising those pictures all over the world if others got hurt in this operation. 

It was a complete and total masterclass in every single way possible.  

• Hook 'Em 5

I did see 1 DW news article that claimed a young girl was killed by the pagers, but that hasnt been confirmed. but overall... holy shit that was a masterful operation.   Because its looking more likely that Israel nudged Hezzbollah to throw away all their old devices, they effectively forced them to choose another communication method... what would be absolutely top notch would be if they somehow used some sort of inception-level response to remind them that pagers existed and would be a good alternative communication method.

also I like how no one else pointed out that the first video showing the guy in the grocery store being blown up.... after the explosion, there looks to be an absolute SHITLOAD of money that fell on the floor under the fruit/vegetable table.... and a lot of it looks like US Dollars.

23 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I purposely left this out of the original reply because its naive- level funny.

sometime in the 1989-90 school year, I would guess the 1990 portion. I was a Freshman in HS.  I am sitting in homeroom and the Principle comes on after morning announcements. 

and emphatically stated that pagers are not allowed in school anymore, that the "only normal use for them is by a doctor, lawyer or nurse, and that no student should ever need a pager." and anyone caught with one would be automatically suspended.  and he then logged off.

and me, pure bred D.A.R.E., naive army-brat white boy, during the 1-2 mins left before first bell am wondering aloud... "why the fuck would a student need a pager"

and thats when my urban classmate that sat next to me told me that, thats how drug dealers work....   Whiteboy97-horn learned a very interesting lesson that day.....

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/18/world/asia/taiwan-pagers-lebanon.html

Gold Apollo, a Taiwanese company that American and other officials named as the supplier of pagers used in attacks in Lebanon that killed at least 11 people, sought on Wednesday to distance itself from the devices.

American and other officials briefed on the attack had said that Israel had inserted explosive material into a shipment of pagers from Gold Apollo, in an apparently coordinated operation aimed at Hezbollah.

Gold Apollo denied that it had made the pagers, pointing instead at another manufacturer that it said had made that model of pager, using Gold Apollo’s brand, as part of a licensing deal.

Explosive material that had been concealed inside a batch of the pagers detonated after they received a signal. Around 2,700 people were also injured by the attack.

But at Gold Apollo’s office on the outskirts of Taipei on Wednesday, Hsu Ching-Kuang, the company’s founder and president, said the pagers were made by another company. Gold Apollo later identified that company as B.A.C. Consulting, a firm it described as having an address in Budapest.

Mr. Hsu said he had agreed about three years ago to let B.A.C. sell its own products using the Gold Apollo brand, which he said had a good reputation in the niche market.

“That product isn’t ours. They just stick on our company brand,” Mr. Hsu told journalists, adding that in return his company received a share of the profits.

“We only provide brand trademark authorization and have no involvement in the design or manufacturing of this product,” Gold Apollo said in a written statement. Even so, the Gold Apollo website displayed a picture of the pager model until the web page was taken down on Wednesday.

Some of the officials briefed on the operation had said that the pagers, which Hezbollah had ordered, had been tampered with before they reached Lebanon, and that most were Gold Apollo’s AR924 model, though three other Gold Apollo models were also included in the shipment.

In a separate statement, Gold Apollo said that the AR924 model was produced and sold by B.A.C., with which it had a “long-term partnership.” “Our company only provides the brand trademark authorization and is not involved in the design or manufacturing of this product,” the company said.

Efforts to contact B.A.C. and verify Gold Apollo’s account were not immediately successful. Calls to a number listed on B.A.C. Consulting’s website, which gave the same address provided by Gold Apollo, rang unanswered.

Tracing how and when the pagers were packed with explosive material could be complicated. Taiwan’s sprawling consumer electronics industry is a complex supply chain of brands, manufacturers and agents.

Taiwan’s Ministry of Economic Affairs, which oversees trade, said that its records showed “no direct exports to Lebanon” of such pagers from Gold Apollo. The company’s pagers were mainly exported to Europe and North America, the ministry said. The company reviewed news reports and photographs and judged that the pagers had been modified only after being exported from Taiwan, the ministry said. The New York Times could not independently verify the assessment.

Mr. Hsu said that he had a longstanding relationship with B.A.C. before they struck the brand licensing deal. Looking back, he said, there was one “odd” incident with B.A.C., when a local Taiwanese bank had delayed a bank transfer from the company because the local bank had suspicions about it. Mr. Hsu said the transfer might have come from a bank in the Middle East. He did not say which country.

Whether Gold Apollo had anything to do with this or not, that Mr Hsu dude has to be a little uncomfortable right  now. What a fucking long game. You know BAC Consulting isnt the only operation of its type Mossad has out there. 

Edited by Blotto

BTW, Reuters story mentions two children were killed in the pager attacks: https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-planted-explosives-hezbollahs-taiwan-made-pagers-say-sources-2024-09-18/

Israel's spy agency Mossad, which has a long history of sophisticated operations on foreign soil, planted explosives inside pagers imported by Hezbollah months before Tuesday's detonations, a senior Lebanese security source and another source told Reuters.

The death toll rose to 12, including two children, Lebanese Health Minister Firass Abiad said on Wednesday. Tuesday's attack wounded nearly 3,000 people, including many of the militant group's fighters and Iran's envoy to Beirut.

While two children being killed is sad, this is way better than indiscriminate bombing of innocent Palestinians in Gaza.

• Hook 'Em 3

I get that Israel is getting tired of all the shit.... but this 2nd attack stuff isnt eliciting the same "cool" response for me. and I am definately not in the LOL group here.

popping off explosives, even small ones, in what you know is going to be a massive fucking funeral crowd seems way more reckless than it needs to be.

plus... Funeral crowd.  

thats the kind of shit thats going to get them to retaliate in a very similar fashion at the next large funeral in Israel.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

All coms are now suspect and all physical devices must be destroyed…. 

Next we will find out that the walkie talkies were from a different vendor provided due to a different “found” security vulnerability…

And funnier, unless Iran manufacturers them and hand delivers them to Beruit, there is no way anyone will ever trust a large batch of comms again.

This means they will go back to either over the counter unique purchases or user cellphones, with both approaches being easily subverted from a security perspective…

This entire operation is just a master class in destroying the faith in comms of an enemy that cannot control the means of their production.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I get that Israel is getting tired of all the shit.... but this 2nd attack stuff isnt eliciting the same "cool" response for me. and I am definately not in the LOL group here.

popping off explosives, even small ones, in what you know is going to be a massive fucking funeral crowd seems way more reckless than it needs to be.

plus... Funeral crowd.  

thats the kind of shit thats going to get them to retaliate in a very similar fashion at the next large funeral in Israel.

The funeral was not targeted, all of the walkie talkies went off at the same time.  One happened to be at a funeral.  

First they took out the primary way of communications. Then they took out the secondary method that was distributed for Hezbollah emergency communications. This was carefully planned. Likely a prelude to something more.  It’s not a troll job it is just targeting communications.  It’s important to note that only Hezbollah members got the radios.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

plus... Funeral crowd.  

This second wave is as vital as the first. It might lead to slightly higher civilian casualties but the value is exponentially higher to Mossad. It went from maybe a lone batch to now all devices are now suspect. 

My guess that this is a much more limited set of devices and is there more to sow discord and terror in Hezbollah and those around them than to actually look to decimate their fighting core or leadership. Make the population leery to be around any Hezbollah member and not only it’s a psychological win but provides even more avenues for both intelligence gathering and covert operations.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

With the additional context that it wasn't simply just walkie-talkies blowing up at a funeral but instead thousands of them as part of a second-wave attack, this is indeed an even more impressive feat to comprehensively take out their entire comms network.

Soon, Hezbollah might have to resort to carrier pigeons.

• Hook 'Em 2

I also want to add that it make sense for Israel to do this now vs waiting because this is a approach that is extremely novel, it won’t be very difficult to find a counter or just replace all the devices in the near term. 

If you have infiltrated their supply chain to this extents, you know that this is a time sensitive operation and once the first one is detonated the clock is ticking.

This also to me is a signal that Israel is about to push north into Lebanon now to look to build a much larger buffer/no man’s land/dead zone  between the two countries 

27 minutes ago, bolverk said:

With the additional context that it wasn't simply just walkie-talkies blowing up at a funeral but instead thousands of them as part of a second-wave attack, this is indeed an even more impressive feat to comprehensively take out their entire comms network.

Soon, Hezbollah might have to resort to carrier pigeons.

I appreciate your response here and apologize for prematurely lumping you in with others. Seems like Ana and Fantana are on an island here and their no show here is telling. 

45 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

plus... Funeral crowd.  

This is very cool and I’m definitely LOL’ing. 

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

plus... Funeral crowd.  

So you're thinking Israel might make Hamas/Hezbollah mad? 

nathan fillion castle GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

BTW, Reuters story mentions two children were killed in the pager attacks: https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-planted-explosives-hezbollahs-taiwan-made-pagers-say-sources-2024-09-18/

While two children being killed is sad, this is way better than indiscriminate bombing of innocent Palestinians in Gaza.

i don’t believe it 

hezbellah is lying 

23 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

From BBC live updates.

We're hearing that people in Syria, which borders Lebanon, have also been injured by the exploding pagers.

"Fourteen people whose nationalities are unknown have been wounded in Damascus and its countryside after pagers used by Hezbollah exploded," the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights - a UK-based monitoring group - says.

The is in addition to the eight who've so far been announced dead and almost 3,000 injured in Lebanon.

Other Hezbollah, whose pager's didn't explode, ducking for cover as mob hunts for Israeli spies.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

plus... Funeral crowd.  

don’t start none, won’t be none.

hezballah started this whole deal to take in cash. their leadership live a wonderful life, far away from lebanon 

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

plus... Funeral crowd.  

For the pagers, or walkie talkie's, to be effectively used as they were they need to all be detonated at the same moment.   If you blow up one guys pager one day and wait a while, then word will get out and the pagers/walkie talkie's will be removed by the people.   So likely this was not an attack on a funeral, but phase two of the operation as those remaining Hezbollah members switched to communication plan B.  Just so happened that this one guy was at the funeral.  

2 minutes ago, ABSR said:

For the pagers, or walkie talkie's, to be effectively used as they were they need to all be detonated at the same moment.   If you blow up one guys pager one day and wait a while, then word will get out and the pagers/walkie talkie's will be removed by the people.   So likely this was not an attack on a funeral, but phase two of the operation as those remaining Hezbollah members switched to communication plan B.  Just so happened that this one guy was at the funeral.  

That was my thought. The funeral part just seemed accidental.