Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Half the nation is functioning literate, sure lets tell them everything. TayTay can write songs about it to ensure they listen in. Maybe part of his community service Puff can do some PSA's.

Look, honesty is perfectly acceptable. If you are arguing that we are not really cut out for this democracy thing, I mean I'd probably at least track with you. 

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Look, honesty is perfectly acceptable. If you are arguing that we are not really cut out for this democracy thing, I mean I'd probably at least track with you. 

OK, so what secrets are you privy to that you don't know? I mean NEEEEDDDD to know, not want to know.

And agree, maybe we are not. But it is our best option for now. Full libertarian is not going to work. Neither will full fascism.

• Hook 'Em 2

I feel like there's a natural conflict of being a completely open society and our national security. I'm not quite sure how we actually exist as a country over a long enough period of time without some kind of emphasis on our national security. I'm also not sure how we exist as a completely open society while also creating organizations dedicated to our national security. The two seem incongruent.

Since I think humans at our core are genocidal maniacs, and whatever freedoms we experience as a collective society aren't worth much if we're wiped from the planet, I probably lean on the national security side a little more than someone with a different mindset. 

I also find the concept that every taxpayer/law abiding citizen has a right to all the knowledge available to the people responsible for our core elements of national security extremely naive. 

But I do acknowledge there's a natural tension. If someone is all in that we should be a completely open society, then it makes sense they'd have a problem with any secrets being kept. I don't agree with it, but it has a certain internal logic.

Edited by SL Xpress

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

feel like there's a natural conflict of being a completely open society and our national security.

Some people struggle with this democracy concept. What they really love is corporate kleptocracy. And esp when f35s and boom boom bang bang is involved. It tweeks their inner ape brain feedback mechanisms. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Some people struggle with this democracy concept. What they really love is corporate kleptocracy. And esp when f35s and boom boom bang bang is involved. It tweeks their inner ape brain feedback mechanisms. 

I'm just not sure what the point of the democracy is if it ceases to exist. On some level it feels like actual survival should be an important metric. But maybe that's just me? I think the opposite argument can be made, too, btw. What's the point of surviving if it's some kind of dystopian serfdom. Maybe there's some kind of spectrum a society could exist on? Don't know where on the spectrum would be ideal, though. 

BTW, we all have inner primordial brain feedback mechanisms. I hesitate to call them ape brain because we didn't actually evolve from apes, but we all have a common ancestor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/20/2024 at 6:44 PM, InkaUtexas said:

OK, so what secrets are you privy to that you don't know? I mean NEEEEDDDD to know, not want to know.

And agree, maybe we are not. But it is our best option for now. Full libertarian is not going to work. Neither will full fascism.

Begging you to stop quoting him. And please let’s get this back on track to Israel war news. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/20/2024 at 9:25 AM, ChickenSandwich said:
Wow

CNN — 

The US is investigating a leak of highly classified US intelligence about Israel’s plans for retaliation against Iran, according to three people familiar with the matter. One of the people familiar confirmed the documents’ authenticity.

The leak is “deeply concerning,” a US official told CNN.

The documents, dated October 15 and 16, began circulating online Friday after being posted on Telegram by an account called “Middle East Spectator.”

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/10/19/politics/us-israel-iran-intelligence-documents

5 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Begging you to stop quoting him. And please let’s get this back on track to Israel war news. 

I'm interested to hear what is going on now. However, it seems that this administration wants to delay any retaliation on Iran until after the election (and maybe indefinitely). I'm betting that the leak was successful either directly or indirectly in achieving that goal.