Maybe we need an Argentina thread too

C-Man

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Oh, there's no getting it back down.

I'm talking about stopping the annual deficit from adding to it.

What I suggested above is a way to balance the budget by increasing the money coming in, rather than cutting the money going out (except for defense, which absolutely can take a healthy cut without putting any monsters at our gate).

I agree that the debt is a huge problem.  But the bigger problem is that a) most people don't understand it, which allows for b) the people making the decisions to not give a shit about it.

They really are running this thing like a corporation.  We're the shareholders who will lose everything.  They're the C-Suite who will milk it for whatever they can, then cash a massive check on their way out of the burning wreckage.

Perhaps I'm getting cynical in my middle age.  But the solutions are obvious.  We can argue about the order of priority, but there are many solutions that will work, or at least help, and fucking zero of them will ever happen.

Again, while I agree with much of what you say, I don’t agree about defense spending. And I’m not interested in maintaining a debt we can’t reduce the principle. At this point we’re talking around each other. 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

it's taken 40 years of reaganomics policies to get us to where we are now re: debt.*  so any solution should be in a similar time frame (and that's not to cut the debt to 0 or even the deficit to 0, there are completely sustainable levels of deficit).  discussions of the deficit should be deficit/gdp ratio (both of these are annual rates).  debt is a scalar and really shouldn't be directly compared to a rate.  a better comparison would be another scalar like total US wealth. 

as the economy gets larger and nominal dollars decrease in value it's inevitable that the deficit becomes a trillion and then eventually 10 trillion and the debt goes to 100 trillion and all those are meaningless scalars without any context.  

*we had a brief interlude during the clinton years but went right back to reaganomics bullshit when bush got elected and his solution to all economic situations was cut taxes

Clinton was the anomaly because he raised taxes in first two years. His main promise of healthcare reform got bogged down and then died by end of two years. Republicans got control of house midterm and stopped any and all spending bills. Higher taxes + no new spending = budget surplus. Bush came along and spent like a drunken sailor 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Higher taxes + no new spending = budget surplus. Bush came along and spent like a drunken sailor 

I think there’s been a little bit of a historical reevaluation of the Bush presidency, partly due to time and partly because of the changes in the GOP.  And unfortunately I think people are forgetting that it was chock full of really, really stupid ideas.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I think there’s been a little bit of a historical reevaluation of the Bush presidency, partly due to time and partly because of the changes in the GOP.  And unfortunately I think people are forgetting that it was chock full of really, really stupid ideas.  

Besides his AIDS policy in Africa, he was one of the worst Presidents in History. Then Trump came along and blew that out of the water 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Again, while I agree with much of what you say, I don’t agree about defense spending. And I’m not interested in maintaining a debt we can’t reduce the principle. At this point we’re talking around each other. 

And that's fine.  I think we agree on a lot of it, and we don't have to agree on the rest.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2024 at 5:51 AM, tx 3 putt said:

I guess letting people sell their kids is better than kidnapping them and killing the parents ?

Libertarians are pedophiles theory confirmed for the trillionth time. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I swear every time I see that dude, he  looks more and more like he stepped out of a big budget thriller where he plays the eccentric evil villain. 

I was thinking more of a junior salesman

IMG_0026.jpeg.543a19bb17f0ce5bfaed96ea64f8ea2f.jpeg

So ChatGPT is going to make up stories about crimes based on true crime shit it’s read and the libertarian is going to send people to prison for the made up crimes. Sounds about right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1