NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

Boston fans calling Kyrie a bad teammate while chalking up KP’s past issues as injury related after he literally admitting to not trying in a playoff series after being told to play second fiddle to Luka is hilarious. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Its not like Dallas has faced any adversity in their playoff run, they played a young inexperience team in OKC, the walking corpse of former stars in the Clippers and maybe the dumbest most immature team in the league who couldn't be bothered to show up after accomplishing all their goals.

I mean that's one way of putting it. 

17 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

Our hate for Kyrie has nothing to do with race, you absolute imbecile. It has everything to do with the fact that he’s a shitty teammate that quit on the team and the city. You can take the actions of a few idiot Boston fans and try to generalize us all you want, but you know, as much as I do, that he’s a snake that only cares for himself. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

I think the only time I've seen it moved up was in 2011 when both the Mavs and Heat won their series in 5. That's back when the Finals always started on a Thursday. It started on a Tuesday that year. This year it could have been moved up as well but won't complain as a Mavs fan, seeing rest is valuable for some of these players

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The NBA should be dominating summer with no football, instead they play 1 series in early June.

What is the benefit for the league to start so early, tradition and ?  Start the season at Christmas. 

I've never understood this either. It would also be less competition since the NHL will be done with their playoffs. Though I honestly wouldn't mind them keeping the same start date but completely getting rid of back-to-backs. It would help the product in both in the regular season and the playoffs. 

Edited by LurkingHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The NBA should be dominating summer with no football, instead they play 1 series in early June.

What is the benefit for the league to start so early, tradition and ?  Start the season at Christmas. 

3 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I've never understood this either. It would also be less competition since the NHL will be done with their playoffs. Though I honestly wouldn't mind them keeping the same start date but completely getting rid of back-to-backs. It would help the product in both in the regular season and the playoffs. 

Either of these would be great. 

On 6/3/2024 at 10:41 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

A lot of it has to do with the schedules of the National Teams being summer laden.  It being a truly international game now leaves the need for the summer being open for historically summer heavy international schedules.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

A lot of it has to do with the schedules of the National Teams being summer laden.  It being a truly international game now leaves the need for the summer being open for historically summer heavy international schedules.  

Pause the season like soccer for the world cup for the Olympics every 4 years. If the international games want NBA players, they will move their schedule. I’d be surprised if they weren’t summer heavy BECUASE the NBA ends in June. 

30 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

every time lebron james says something this fucking stupid, knowing how influential his words are, it really makes it hard for me to like him.

The most gifted? What kind of gift are we talking about here?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kermit said:

The most gifted? What kind of gift are we talking about here?

Kyrie is literally one of the most gifted basketball skilled players that has ever played.   He’s more basketball gifted than Jordan, certainly more than Lebron.   (Basketball skills-wise.   Jordan was a much better athlete that had sensational skills).  

Edited by Trey3216

25 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Kyrie is literally one of the most gifted basketball skilled players that has ever played.   He’s more basketball gifted than Jordan, certainly more than Lebron.   (Basketball skills-wise.   Jordan was a much better athlete that had sensational skills).  

image.gif.7d69b1816b4863b63087420f5d37f6e7.gif

22 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

image.gif.7d69b1816b4863b63087420f5d37f6e7.gif

That's fine.  Laugh as you will.  But Kyrie, at least 'basketball' skill wise, is on one hand all-time in the NBA in pure skills.  Very few dribble, pass, shoot, and understand the game like he does.  He's been an injured idiot half of his career, but that doesn't change the fact at how skilled he is.   He absolutely is more basketball skilled than MJ.  That doesn't mean he's a better player, not by a damn sight.  Doesn't mean he's a better athlete either.  He's more refined skills-wise though.   

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That's fine.  Laugh as you will.  But Kyrie, at least 'basketball' skill wise, is on one hand all-time in the NBA in pure skills.  Very few dribble, pass, shoot, and understand the game like he does.  He's been an injured idiot half of his career, but that doesn't change the fact at how skilled he is.   He absolutely is more basketball skilled than MJ.  That doesn't mean he's a better player, not by a damn sight.  Doesn't mean he's a better athlete either.  He's more refined skills-wise though.   

With all due respect, ain’t no fucking way. Handles. I’ll give him handles over MJ but otherwise Jordan was better at every facet of the game. Jordan was one of the most fundamentally sound players who ever laced them up. Early in his career he out athleted guys but as he matured, he absolutely started dissecting his opponents mentally, physically, strategically and every other way possible, and he did it pathologically.

Unless you’re talking about that stupid skills competition that they do at the all star game? Maybe World B Flat is better at that. But as far as doing shit in an actual game against opponents? That’s absolutely ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

kyrie is nowhere near the conversation of “most gifted” (as if that’s not open to all kinds of interpretation) basketball players ever. wilt, russell, shaq, hakeem, jokic, kareem, walton, duncan are all big men whom i would absolutely consider to be more gifted than kyrie. magic, oscar, pistol pete, jordan, steph, lebron, kd, kawhi are just some of the perimeter players who are more gifted than kyrie. it’s just an all around asinine statement from lebron, who is leading the charge for multiple generations of youthful, highly opinionated, yet totally uninformed basketball fans. 

Edited by definitely not derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Very few dribble, pass, shoot, and understand the game like he does.

Kyrie is an average passer for his position and always has been. His ball-handling and shot-making has always been elite but someone like AI was more gifted overall.

Edited by ztejas

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Kyrie is an average passer for his position and always has been. His ball-handling and shot-making has always been elite but someone like AI was more gifted overall.

AI isn’t even the same conversation as Kyrie re:shot making.  

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I mean that's pretty fucking good when it comes to Jeopardy and sports. She named a player off of the right team that won it right before Westbrook did.

I was watching the other day - the dweebs missed a layup BoJack Horseman clue then a layup Archer clue then some girl got a slightly harder one where Robot Chicken was the answer. I was just like...

youtube name GIF

Edited by ztejas

Personally, I'm always a little jealous when I see a Jeopardy clip where someone doesn't know who the last NBA MVP was or what adult swim is. Must be kinda nice to be totally disconnected from the entertainment industry and pop culture. To each their own.

43 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Personally, I'm always a little jealous when I see a Jeopardy clip where someone doesn't know who the last NBA MVP was or what adult swim is. Must be kinda nice to be totally disconnected from the entertainment industry and pop culture. To each their own.

Personally I'm a fan b/c I'm pretty fucking good and it makes me feel better about my chances if I ever tried to get on the show (which I've somewhat seriously considered).

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean that's pretty fucking good when it comes to Jeopardy and sports. She named a player off of the right team that won it right before Westbrook did.
I was watching the other day - the dweebs missed a layup BoJack Horseman clue then a layup Archer clue then some girl got a slightly harder one where Robot Chicken was the answer. I was just like...
200.gif

Yea, struck out swinging but she was somewhat close.

Better than that topic 5 years ago when trebek roasted them for being unable to get a single football question. Nobody even answered one I believe
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

every time lebron james says something this fucking stupid, knowing how influential his words are, it really makes it hard for me to like him.

Weird how he didn't say anything like this during the OKC/Dallas series. It's like Kyrie disappeared that series for some reason...

I'm sorry James, what was that you said there at the beginning? It sure sounded like "winner", but I mean.....come on. 

Harden scored just seven points on 2-12 shooting from the field as the Clippers suffered a 123-93 defeat against the Mavericks — the largest in their 25 year stay in Crypto.com Arena (previously Staples Center). As a result, Harden made some unfortunate playoff history. According to Ben Golliver of the Washington Post, Harden now has 13 playoff games of 20 percent of worse shooting on 10 or more shot attempts — the most in NBA history since the 1979-80 season.

Adding to this unfortunate record is the fact that James Harden now has 10 playoff games with two or fewer made baskets on 10 or more field-goal attempts (per Nick Wright of FOX Sports). This is such a crushing blow to the Clippers star, especially when it seemed as if he was turning around the narrative of his much-criticized playoff career.

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

I'm sorry James, what was that you said there at the beginning? It sure sounded like "winner", but I mean.....come on. 

today’s nba player seems to be particularly delusional, even within the context of athletes being completely self deluded to begin with. it is wild, all of the things these guys will say with a straight face if you give them a podcast host and a glass of wine.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Whoa

Listening to windhorst.  UConn isn’t a big nil school and even Dan knows that having just three star types isn’t sustainable.  Lakers will have to pay a lot!

Not sure this is gonna work but rooting for it

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Listening to windhorst.  UConn isn’t a big nil school and even Dan knows that having just three star types isn’t sustainable.  Lakers will have to pay a lot!

Is Uconn really hurting for talent? Using 247 rankings for Overall (HS + Transfer portal), their last 4  recruiting classes were ranked '21 (7th), '22 (39th), '23(4th), '24 (6th) with several 5 stars and mostly 4 stars. If he can consistently get top 100 guys with a few top 10 guys mixed in, thats probably enough for him to keep it going. I cant speak to their NIL situation, but recent recruiting results indicate it cant be terrible. 

I have a feeling he's wired a bit like Harbaugh (good coach, a little on the spectrum) that might be intrigued by the challenge of coaching the best talent in the world. I dont think he gives that much of a fuck about money, but there will be a lot of it if he makes the jump.  The bigger question is if he wants to but up with the Lebron/bronny bullshit as lebron winds down his career. 

Edited by Blotto