NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Is Uconn really hurting for talent? Using 247 rankings for Overall (HS + Transfer portal), their last 4  recruiting classes were ranked '21 (7th), '22 (39th), '23(4th), '24 (6th) with several 5 stars and mostly 4 stars. If he can consistently get top 100 guys with a few top 10 guys mixed in, thats probably enough for him to keep it going. I cant speak to their NIL situation, but recent recruiting results indicate it cant be terrible. 

And yea he’s won with three star guys and is doing well here. But they’re not a money machine and he mentioned in an interview that cbb is an annual free agent frenzy.  He was asked if he’d ever leave UConn and his answer was maybe burnout or the NBA 

21 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And yea he’s won with three star guys and is doing well here. But they’re not a money machine and he mentioned in an interview that cbb is an annual free agent frenzy.  He was asked if he’d ever leave UConn and his answer was maybe burnout or the NBA 

Yep. He said college is basically the g league now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lakers are in certain ways like Jerrah Jones... no longer in the NBA playoffs, then leak a big Lakers story on the 1st day of the NBA Finals so talking heads go crazy with Lakers discussions.  

Lakers such attention whores... 

Freakin' carnival act

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Lakers are in certain ways like Jerrah Jones... no longer in the NBA playoffs, then leak a big Lakers story on the 1st day of the NBA Finals so talking heads go crazy with Lakers discussions.  

Lakers such attention whores... 

Freakin' carnival act

I would counter that at the top they are the exact opposite of the Cowboys. Jeanie is the most respected governor in the NBA and does not interfere in personnel decisions. She stays out of it and just supports the team. 

The circus stuff comes from so many reporters wanting to beat each other to the punch on a story that should be a run-of-the-mill type thing to report on. I think Woj sat on the info while his former protege put out other stuff. I was joking with a Mavs fan friend earlier about the attention being on LA now. It’ll subside as soon as the opening tip happens tonight. This could be one of the best finals in the last 25 years and no amount of Lakers news will diminish it.

Now next year when we’re trotting out Bronny as a starter on opening night? Hoo boy get ready for some Japanese media following Ichiro or Ohtani related craziness.

Mostly agree about the Lakers front office staying out of meddling. But when you have LeBron on your team there’s going to be 24/7 media frenzy no matter what. 

46 minutes ago, MrX said:

Mostly agree about the Lakers front office staying out of meddling. But when you have LeBron on your team there’s going to be 24/7 media frenzy no matter what. 

Yeah there’s no getting around that. He brings a media frenzy and then when he goes full passive-aggressive when he’s frustrated it brings unwanted attention to the team. He’s been mostly good to have as a Laker, but man the unending attention is I guess like when Barca had Messi. Being in LA also helps bring that tidal wave of attention. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

he’s clearly got a great basketball mind.

Just to commment on one aspect here. The Huskies took 18.6 seconds per possession, which is quite a bit of time. The movement and length of these plays are pretty cool to watch. Where this would translate to success for the Lakers is that LA has to play a slower style with Davis and James on the court. I think it would also lead to another year of getting about 24 free throws a game, which LA needs in order to give the old guys a rest at times. 

Or this could backfire massively and LA winds up looking like the 80’s Clippers. Either way it’ll be interesting.

Edited by UpperWestside

Dan Hurley is unquestionably a great coach with a good feel for tactical basketball. A lot of the failed college to pros coaches had massive ego issues so that may be a problem. Hurley could easily be the next Brad Stevens though 

• Hook 'Em 1

hurley also seems to have a very keen eye for winning players. he’s made it very clear in countless interviews that his program will only recruit and offer young men who they see as having the winning qualities that they look for, regardless of stars or rankings. they will spurn a five star in a heartbeat if he doesn’t meet their criteria of what a winner is. if LAL does hire him as their next HC then LeGM is going to have a come to jesus moment with hurley, because hurley ain’t letting lebron choose the team. it’ll be an interesting dynamic if hurley does get the job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Lakers should be hiring a long term coach which means not catering to LeBron’s wishes. Unless they make a mega trade they’re not contenders. And even if they do they’re relying on LeBron and Davis to repeat another healthy season 

11 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Michael Bloomberg now part of the group buying the Timberwolves.  That moves the needle for that franchise.....

I honestly had no idea that douche ARod was an owner of the Twolves. who would want to hitch their wagon to that loser?

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This playoffs has sucked a fat sack of monkey shit. 

Fortunately this Celtics team is softer than a bag of marshmallows that's been sitting on the dashboard of someone's pickup in South Texas for 3 weeks in August. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fortunately this Celtics team is softer than a bag of marshmallows that's been sitting on the dashboard of someone's pickup in South Texas for 3 weeks in August. 

Tell it again.

Well that was a dud.

So bostons pretty good when they bomb 3s from 5 positions.

Came back to earth but the game was decided. Of course Lukai shoots about 37% after shooting like 60% in game 5 last week. I expect a bounce back especially if Boston isn’t gonna hit 7 3s in a quarter

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

1. The Celtics are a really good (if not great) team
2. The mavs played an overall terrible game
3. Kyrie was dog shit
4. It’s only 1 game
5. Forget it and move to game 2

Mavs will make adjustments and shoot better gm2.  Interesting early Chess strategy by celtics taking away the corner 3s assists for Luka.

I expect Kyrie to look to score more in gm2 

Edited by LTtxfan
damn autocorrect

9 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

porzingis has been really good the last 2 years. His last year in Washington was almost All-NBA worthy. The Celtics stole him.

Not only did Brad steal Porzingis, but got a draft pick in that deal that was used to get Jrue Holiday as well.

f2c3c822-e8b6-4987-b083-9d9815cfebd3_tex

On 5/31/2024 at 4:09 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think Boston fans only watch Boston games and have no real awareness of either the western conference or the world outside of Boston Celtic basketball. It’s as if they think KP was building latrines in Africa for a couple years after his time with the Knicks and came back to sign with the Wizards.

Porzingis is great (when he's actually healthy) when he's effectively a role player on a deep team that can win without him so he doesn't feel pressure to lead/perform.   He's a huge pussy in a true #2 role and will be again if anyone else wants to pay him that kind of money when he's a free agent.

The NBA is killing me with their schedule. They give us a playoff game every night for like 6 weeks, and then have a week off before the finals. And now 3 days between games 1 and 2, and multiple days between each of the other games. What the fuck.

Boston matches up really well against Dallas. They switch everything and have a good defender at every position and it's not like Dallas has any post up threats if they switch a small onto a big.  Boston is going to make Luka beat them one on one. Can he beat you launching 20 step back threes per game? Dallas only had 9 assists as a team last night. That tells how stagnant Boston is making them. And then offensively, Boston plays 5 out and clears out the interior for Tatum and Brown to drive. And they are targeting the shit out of Luka on those drives, too. Meanwhile, all those interior defenders for the Mavs are having to check guys at the three point line, where they're not comfortable.

Dallas should play better in game 2 and Porzingis was out of his mind in the first half, but Boston is going to be a tough out. Boston will probably shoot themselves out of 1-2 games in this series from the three point line, but that roster is so versatile and they have so many different guys to throw at Luka and Kyrie. I hate the game 1 overreaction stuff, but this looks like some tough sledding for Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The NBA is killing me with their schedule. They give us a playoff game every night for like 6 weeks, and then have a week off before the finals. And now 3 days between games 1 and 2, and multiple days between each of the other games. What the fuck.

Boston matches up really well against Dallas. They switch everything and have a good defender at every position and it's not like Dallas has any post up threats if they switch a small onto a big.  Boston is going to make Luka beat them one on one. Can he beat you launching 20 step back threes per game? Dallas only had 9 assists as a team last night. That tells how stagnant Boston is making them. And then offensively, Boston plays 5 out and clears out the interior for Tatum and Brown to drive. And they are targeting the shit out of Luka on those drives, too. Meanwhile, all those interior defenders for the Mavs are having to check guys at the three point line, where they're not comfortable.

Dallas should play better in game 2 and Porzingis was out of his mind in the first half, but Boston is going to be a tough out. Boston will probably shoot themselves out of 1-2 games in this series from the three point line, but that roster is so versatile and they have so many different guys to throw at Luka and Kyrie. I hate the game 1 overreaction stuff, but this looks like some tough sledding for Dallas.

They need to do every other day stretching it out kills excitement. Only have a 2 day gap on exchange of home/away

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

I am still not entirely sure why this is a guy that has a job working in the media. He is not eloquent nor is he particularly informative. For me he is the basketball version of Dan Orlovsky. No real good reason either has the job they do.